Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Orb Vallis Hunting - What am I doing wrong?

limorkil

Question

So I've read a lot of hunting guides and watched videos, but none of them address what usually happens to me.

I can follow the tracks and find the place where you use the echo lure.  I can use the echo lure.  It all falls apart at stage 3 where you have to hide and then use the tranq gun.

I have used Loki, Equinox - it doesn't seem to matter the frame.

As soon as it says hide, and the guy starts talking about a particular type of popper "ah an interesting breed of blah blah", I crouch and move some distance away, trying to be up wind of the location.  As Loki I use invisibility.

Now I wait.  But before I even see a popper, the guy goes something like "Ah well, better luck next time" or "Vanished" or something else, and the location vanishes from the map.

What causes this?  It happens all the time.  I'm invisible, I'm crouched, I'm upwind.  I don't get it.  Sometimes he says this the INSTANT I successfully use the lure, before I have chance to do anything.

Also, is there a way to cast frame abilities while holding the tranq gun?  At the moment I have to switch to a weapon to recast invisibility.

I don't have Ivara.  I see many people using frames other than Ivara, so I don't think not using Ivara is the problem.

18 answers to this question

Could be enemies or a kavat / kubrow messing up the experience. Bit hard to tell unless we see you do it.

5 minutes ago, limorkil said:

Also, is there a way to cast frame abilities while holding the tranq gun?  At the moment I have to switch to a weapon to recast invisibility.

I don't have Ivara.  I see many people using frames other than Ivara, so I don't think not using Ivara is the problem.

Don't think there is a way to do so.

Not having Ivara doesn't make it impossible, but Ivara does help a lot. Especially since she can stay invisible for a long time, so there's no recasting ability issue like you're experiencing right now. Hell, you don't even need the tranq gun, just use her sleep arrows.

18 minutes ago, -AxHx-Vile said:

Could be enemies or a kavat / kubrow messing up the experience. Bit hard to tell unless we see you do it.

Don't think there is a way to do so.

Not having Ivara doesn't make it impossible, but Ivara does help a lot. Especially since she can stay invisible for a long time, so there's no recasting ability issue like you're experiencing right now. Hell, you don't even need the tranq gun, just use her sleep arrows.

I just have carrier, without a weapon. 

I give in.

I finally got 6 perfect captures.  About 90% of the time, the guys says "better luck next time" before I even see a popper.  Then, when I do see them they turn and run before they get even within 50m of the food pile.  Luckily I had switched to Equinox, so I can sleep them at range.  Equinox is great for perfect captures.

Except, I got my six, but the stupid Nightwave log says I only have 2.

So F this.  It's the least enjoyable thing I've had to do in Warframe.  It's tedious, it's buggy.  It definately not worth it for 4500 Nightwave standing.

When I played the first round of Nightwave I was on PS4, not PC, and I could do 10 perfect captures using Inaros.  No warframe abilities.  It took a while, maybe 90 minutes, but it wasn't that bad.  Worst problem was that not all tranqs are counted as "perfect".  And I think that was worth 5000 or 9000 standing or something.  I don't know what they've done to it this time around, but it's fewer captures but WAY more buggy.  It's almost like they made it so you HAVE to use Ivara.

Ok im pro hunter let me try to help....

-First off make a hunting frame.  For Orb Vallis you can literally use any frame you want.   But the trick is to have max enemy radar because ONLY in OV the animals will show up on radar. (in PoE they do not)

-Even if you are invisible.. if you move near animals they can be alerted... dont have alot of experience with this myself but when I drag others with me they f it up and I have seen them scare the animals.   Even if your standing still if they get within like 5-10 meters of you they can spook I "think"

-Make sure NO enemies see you or are shooting at you.   If you have max enemy radar going you should see no red on your radar before calling an animal.  Stuff in OV can shoot a very long ways lol.  If enemies are aware of you = instant fail.   

Thats about all I can think of..  Your tranq is silent now so pobbers shouldnt spaz out if you miss.     Even if you shoot the lead pobber the others just keep going (although downgrade to just good) (Always take out pobbers from the one farthest in back to front).

When I need to be off the call spot I recommend about 25-30meters distance.  I only use invis on stovers because they are BUGGY ASF and spawn on top of you.  Everything else out in OV I can take out without invisability.  

Is this just a pobber problem or all animals???   Can you post a hunting video of a typical hunt for you??  I can make a new invis pobber hunt video if you want me to??? 

Your on PC or I would go hunting with you.

I switched to a different animal, the second tier one that looks a bit like an anteater.  I had zero problems getting it.  It showed up on my scanner and it did not just turn and run immediately.  The second time I went for one it actually spawned right beneath the mushroom I was sitting on.  Still got it.

So the main part of my frustration seems to be the pobbers, which are buggy and seem to "escape" almost as soon as they appear.  The second part seems to be that I need to catch different types of animals.  It used to be you could just get 10 perfect pobbers.  Now it seems as though you have to get six different ones.  Unfortunately I am only rank 2 in Orb Vallis so I don't have the ability to get another creature type, unless I grind standing all day.  But I just finished the two Nightwave elite challenges so this hunting one is the only thing left.  I think I can do without the 4500 standing.  I wish I'd not wasted a few hours on it.

Thanks for the help and the offer to help.  Made me feel better about the whole thing. 

7 hours ago, limorkil said:

It's almost like they made it so you HAVE to use Ivara.

Well, she is called the Huntress in her description.  Her whole kit actually facilitates Hunting/stalking/stealth/infiltration.  So it kinda makes logical sense that she would excel at any hunting aspects of the game.  😄

9 hours ago, limorkil said:

Now I wait.  But before I even see a popper, the guy goes something like "Ah well, better luck next time" or "Vanished" or something else, and the location vanishes from the map.

What causes this?  It happens all the time.  I'm invisible, I'm crouched, I'm upwind.  I don't get it.  Sometimes he says this the INSTANT I successfully use the lure, before I have chance to do anything.

8 hours ago, limorkil said:

About 90% of the time, the guys says "better luck next time" before I even see a popper.  Then, when I do see them they turn and run before they get even within 50m of the food pile. 

Pobbers are actually very hard to grab despite being the first animal. For one thing, you have to actually look in the direction they're about to spawn or they'll sneak up on you. Yes, the animal's return call comes from a specific direction if your speakers support that. Secondly, all animals hear you if you roll/sprint/bullet jump, but pobbers have the sharpest senses by far. As a result, standing upwind is only one thing you need to be wary of; you also should be like 50 meters away from the call point, if possible.

Hunting Virminks is much easier. They don't pay attention to their noses much, and just leisurely stroll around, making themselves easy targets

And yes, animals despawning instantly because glitch is not unheard of

The only issue i noticed is instead of upwind, you should be downwind from the call site/where the reply came from. Besides sight and sound they can smell you if you are upwind. 

It might be you are either too close or in the path of the animal attracted to the call site (upwind, from my experience, is usually the direction where it will be coming from). After marking the site and aggroing all corpus around it, try to look for elevated places like rock faces you can climb or leaves. Just be sure you can hide, crouch and comfortably hit with your tranq from it.

Edited by Alpha_Tango

5 часов назад, limorkil сказал:

The second part seems to be that I need to catch different types of animals.  It used to be you could just get 10 perfect pobbers.  Now it seems as though you have to get six different ones

No, you can do it at any Solaris United rank. The challenge is about doing literally different captures. So, 3/3 perfect pobbers won't count, but 1/3 perfect pobber 6 times will suffice.

3 hours ago, bl1te said:

No, you can do it at any Solaris United rank. The challenge is about doing literally different captures. So, 3/3 perfect pobbers won't count, but 1/3 perfect pobber 6 times will suffice.

Male and female only count as different for NIghtwave.

6 pobbers wont do regardless of method.

Difficulty decreases with Solaris Rank. More different Lures you have, easier the NW is. Why DE chose 6 Different Perfect captures? It´s highest number you can get from 1 animal, each animal has 3 subspecies and 2 genders.  i ran Pobbers only, it´s doable, but pain, especialy without Pheromones, and I highly recommend to Rank up and get another Lures. Another Pobbers in squad of 3 don´t count because it´s very rare, if it´s even possible, to have male and female together in 1 group.

22 hours ago, (PS4)AbBaNdOn_IGN said:

Ok im pro hunter let me try to help....

-First off make a hunting frame.  For Orb Vallis you can literally use any frame you want.   But the trick is to have max enemy radar because ONLY in OV the animals will show up on radar. (in PoE they do not)

-Even if you are invisible.. if you move near animals they can be alerted... dont have alot of experience with this myself but when I drag others with me they f it up and I have seen them scare the animals.   Even if your standing still if they get within like 5-10 meters of you they can spook I "think"

-Make sure NO enemies see you or are shooting at you.   If you have max enemy radar going you should see no red on your radar before calling an animal.  Stuff in OV can shoot a very long ways lol.  If enemies are aware of you = instant fail.   

Thats about all I can think of..  Your tranq is silent now so pobbers shouldnt spaz out if you miss.     Even if you shoot the lead pobber the others just keep going (although downgrade to just good) (Always take out pobbers from the one farthest in back to front).

When I need to be off the call spot I recommend about 25-30meters distance.  I only use invis on stovers because they are BUGGY ASF and spawn on top of you.  Everything else out in OV I can take out without invisability.  

Is this just a pobber problem or all animals???   Can you post a hunting video of a typical hunt for you??  I can make a new invis pobber hunt video if you want me to??? 

Your on PC or I would go hunting with you.

Pretty much this. For me, locating the animal is the hardest bit, and clearing the entire area of enemies is also very annoying.

I'm on PC. Add me and I can help you out with hunting. So long as you can hide and not attract enemies and whatnot I can do the perfect captures with you.

Old thread but I've had the same problem today, though I did captures a lot before with no such issue. The pobbers flew away systematically when reaching around 70m from me, even if I was on a high ground, still and crouching.

Reading your post I noticed that I was using Carrier too, so I went and desequip it at Fortuna, tried again with no companion/sentinel and finally I could wait for them at 30m. I tried 2 different frames before that and tried in different sessions closing the game in between, so that is probably not a coincidence. I don't know if it's carrier or sweeper that is boggish but it scares only the pobbers away, Vermink had no issues. appart being all males and not counting for NW anymore.

Edit: mods I had on carrier and sweeper:

none on sweeper
vacuum, regen, ammo case, guardian and enhanced vitality on carrier.

Edited by Kaleeiv

Conservation is broken as hell now.  

Animals can spawn right on the call spot if your in tricky terrain = insta fail  (mainly stovers/kubros from my experience)

Sawgaws - beyond broken,  u can capture for tags but dont hunt for standing

-Horrasques - broken.  They can see very far away,  move alot faster,  and run away after getting shot or near-missed.  

-poop piles can be bugged and wont start hunts

-poop piles might be in or near a cave but when you look around entrance, inside the cave there is no poop symbol.   50/50 chance of still finding the call spot.  (stover/kubro problem)

I dont know why animals have suddenly gained the ability to see you from very far away,  but some of it seems like our tranq rifles have bugged out and have lost their silencer.   Another huge part of it seems like animal ai/pathing/animation is completely borked,  see sawgaws, horrasques.    

This was one of the things I loved to do in the game just to grind standing and stuff but not anymore.  There are more broken animals than ones that work.   

• Like 1

On 2019-08-03 at 11:01 PM, limorkil said:

So I've read a lot of hunting guides and watched videos, but none of them address what usually happens to me.

I can follow the tracks and find the place where you use the echo lure.  I can use the echo lure.  It all falls apart at stage 3 where you have to hide and then use the tranq gun.

I have used Loki, Equinox - it doesn't seem to matter the frame.

As soon as it says hide, and the guy starts talking about a particular type of popper "ah an interesting breed of blah blah", I crouch and move some distance away, trying to be up wind of the location.  As Loki I use invisibility.

Firstly I use Loki Prime for animal captures so I might be able to help you with capturing animals.

Secondly, as others have stated, for some reason known only to DE, it gets easier to get perfect animal captures the higher the animal rep is.

I do animal captures almost every day, doing Kubrodon captures, I almost always get perfect captures, (perhaps 1 or 2 in 100 not perfect capture).

You seem to easily, find poop, track animal, make first call, make second call, clear away other enemies.

Still my thoughts are, I will go invis whilst tracking, (usually invis will last long enough to find the call location), after finding the call location check the area for other enemies, kill these enemies (usually in a group of 3).

Make the first call, noting the direction of the reply call.

Make the second call, whilst the animal is making the second reply call go invis and move away from the call spot in the opposite direction to the direction of the second reply call, (sometimes the animal will spawn right on the call location and this way it does not spot you). Also, you do not need to stand right on the call location for your call to count. Simply be close by, say 5-10m away.

Equip tranq rifle, scope down tranq rifle sight towards direction of second call, locate animal, jump / run towards animal, when close (remember you are invis), tranq animal, capture animal.

I also get a simaris scan of the animal before making the capture for easy simaris rep.

I also tend to scan the enemies before killing, again for easy simaris rep.

Perhaps it is due to the very small time period between second reply call and successful tranq, but I never have a wind direction issue, (frankly I no longer pay any attention to the wind direction).

I hope this is helpful.

It is a shame that you are on PC and I am on PS4 as I would have been happy to capture a few animals with you to show you what I do.

Have fun and may RNG be forever in your favor.