(XB1)D00M INCARNATE

The Internet and why you're always wrong

TL;DR - When people disagree, they love to tell you why. When they agree, they don't usually care to tell you why (by posts or upvotes).

Why doesn't anyone agree with your post? Or more accurately, why does it feel like no one agrees?

When someone posts their perspective, people will either agree or disagree. Unfortunately we're a lot more inclined to "voice" our disapproval than our approval.

"Nope, you're wrong, and now I'm going to post why."

Vs

"Yep, I agree with this...guess I'll keep scrolling now."

With the way these forums are set up, in theory, this should balance out with; 

# of negative posts vs # of upvotes

but most people don't up vote something they agree with unless it's something they feel very strongly about.

A side note: keep in mind people can double dip their disapproval. A downvote (or sarcastic vote like a "haha") and a negative post can both be made by the same person. But since people are less likely to upvote or post their approval, there can be an illusion of twice as much disapproval as there really is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 2
  • Upvote 1

This is a well known thing. People who are satisfied aren't going to be talking about what satisfies them, they'll be utilising it.

• Upvote 3

You don't just give the 'Haha', you have to live the 'Haha', in order to defeat the 'Haha', you must become one with the 'Haha'!

This is how you master the way of the 'Haha' to the point you can cringe the most pure of cringes that would make even Zul'Jin proud.

Btw. there is a limit on the number of emotes you can give per day.

• Woah 1

Cause if you talk about positive things and how you agree with them, that's called a circlejerk, and is apparently an internet sin.

• Haha 1
  • Satisfied 2

3 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

Cause if you talk about positive things and how you agree with them, that's called a circlejerk, and is apparently an internet sin.

I hadn't heard that before, but it makes sense xD

23 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

It's not a circlejerk if you don't look them in the eye.

1 hour ago, (XB1)D00M INCARNATE said:

TL;DR - When people disagree, they love to tell you why. When they agree, they don't usually care to tell you why (by posts or upvotes).

Why doesn't anyone agree with your post? Or more accurately, why does it feel like no one agrees?

When someone posts their perspective, people will either agree or disagree. Unfortunately we're a lot more inclined to "voice" our disapproval than our approval.

"Nope, you're wrong, and now I'm going to post why."

Vs

With the way these forums are set up, in theory, this should balance out with; 

# of negative posts vs # of upvotes

but most people don't up vote something they agree with unless it's something they feel very strongly about.

A side note: keep in mind people can double dip their disapproval. A downvote (or sarcastic vote like a "haha") and a negative post can both be made by the same person. But since people are less likely to upvote or post their approval, there can be an illusion of twice as much disapproval as there really is.

Btw. i upvoted you, so you're wrong.

1 hour ago, (XB1)D00M INCARNATE said:

I agree with this statement.

1 minute ago, (XB1)GaussPrime said:

I disagree. And here is why:

Because.

No u

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

vor 2 Minuten schrieb CephalonDizzy:

No u

I'd love to post my SpongeBob meme but.. the risk is too high for getting flagged because of massive usage of it 😂

• Satisfied 1

Well just to partially prove you wrong I'm going to upvote this because it satisfies me.

And here's why:

• Satisfied 1

Wait...

Haha's are seen as negative votes?

Well that's news to me I was using them for posts I genuinely found funny and entertaining.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Aesthier said:

Wait...

Haha's are seen as negative votes?

Well that's news to me I was using them for posts I genuinely found funny and entertaining.

They're used for both.

They're used negatively when the post is so bad or wrong that it is funny. So ironically one could argue it's still a valid use of "haha". It just becomes a negative thing because the poster was probably trying to be serious.

Who laughed? I was being serious! Reeeeeeee.

Edited by DeMonkey
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

...So wait if everyone is always wrong does that mean since nobody is right everyone is?

31 minutes ago, Aldain said:

...So wait if everyone is always wrong does that mean since nobody is right everyone is?

Yes, but also no. 

On 2019-08-06 at 10:27 AM, DeMonkey said:

They're used for both.

They're used negatively when the post is so bad or wrong that it is funny. So ironically one could argue it's still a valid use of "haha". It just becomes a negative thing because the poster was probably trying to be serious.

Who laughed? I was being serious! Reeeeeeee.

Thank you for the explanation!