Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Its the..Stug

NuclearCoffeePot

Oh yeah baby, I'm doing a concept rework about the stug. 

Lets be honest, there's good weapons, there's bad weapons, and then there's the stug. A slow firing, weak weapon that for some damn reason DE gave self damage, yay. Not to mention it has corrosive at its base damage but strangely enough a 0% status chance,wonderful. So here is my concept to make the stug at least decent. Ill be dividing it into categories

1-Delivery-

THe fundamental weigh the Stug delivers its payload is wierd. It fires projectiles which stick to targets, but its also explosive? explosive weapons are usually meant to be fired in a general direction and murder a group- the stug you have to aim- so instead of making it some mad man explosive corrosive roundhouse im taking a different aproach.

-The stug is no longer a launcher, instead it operates like a shotgun- You punp the mechanism before you fire a shot- when you fire a shot instead of a blob you now fire a "splash"-A square of adhesive chemicals that spreads out as it travels- enemies that make contact with this spray of sticky stug stuff will be drastically slowed and take ticks of corrosive damage over time-Dps is reduced the farther the splash travels- altfire however will charge shots making them spread less- travel faster- and lower the dmg fallof

2-Stats- Im fine with the base corrosive, im fine with 5% crit chance- but dear god give this thing a decent 15% status chance

Summary- Imagine a corinth- But when you fire- it fires a spray of glue that burns enemy armor off- thats the stug- with bullet travel time

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NuclearCoffeePot said:

lol-Its basically a new weapon at this point

Well, i mean, mostly i think this is the reason DE won't come out with nox's sp**m launcher because it's basically just stug mark 2. People keep asking for it but the real world manifestation of it would be "wow this is trash".

I think i would rather the gun be "hold alt fire to load" and then hold the trigger to spray a powerfully acidic adhesive that fixes targets in place and melts their asses, making it more a support thing that you shoot things to goo them up and then either melee or use your rifle to tear them up while their trapped...

12 minutes ago, (PS4)Black-Cat-Jinx said:

Well, i mean, mostly i think this is the reason DE won't come out with nox's sp**m launcher because it's basically just stug mark 2. People keep asking for it but the real world manifestation of it would be "wow this is trash".

I think i would rather the gun be "hold alt fire to load" and then hold the trigger to spray a powerfully acidic adhesive that fixes targets in place and melts their asses, making it more a support thing that you shoot things to goo them up and then either melee or use your rifle to tear them up while their trapped...

makes sense- I dont know if i would like a hold to spray like a flamethrower though

*Acidic adhesive: 

For note, the substance commonly known and labeled as "superglue" contains acidic compounds. This is something of a cognitive dissonance but super glue will burn though certain compounds and while some people have been known to use it for first aid purposes, it can be very damaging to human skin. Being sprayed from head to toe with an cyanoacyrlic acid based adhesive mixed with foaming agents would be an extremely unpleasant way to die. It would burn your skin, blind you, you'd get stuck to anything you touch including your self, you'd be unable to breath.............................. All things considered, you'd probably rather just be shot and have it over with. 

13 minutes ago, (PS4)Black-Cat-Jinx said:

*Acidic adhesive: 

For note, the substance commonly known and labeled as "superglue" contains acidic compounds. This is something of a cognitive dissonance but super glue will burn though certain compounds and while some people have been known to use it for first aid purposes, it can be very damaging to human skin. Being sprayed from head to toe with an cyanoacyrlic acid based adhesive mixed with foaming agents would be an extremely unpleasant way to die. It would burn your skin, blind you, you'd get stuck to anything you touch including your self, you'd be unable to breath.............................. All things considered, you'd probably rather just be shot and have it over with. 

Absolutely- Im just saying in terms of gameplay feel i would rather blast an enemy with a splash of sticky burning S#&$ then hose them down. I think it would feel better and besides the stug isn't a hose as it is now so why change it to be that. Im trying not to depart to much from its core mechanics- I think in terms of fighting i'd rather be going THUNK THUNK THUNK then squiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisq

Edited by NuclearCoffeePot

3 hours ago, NuclearCoffeePot said:

The stug is no longer a launcher, instead it operates like a shotgun-

3 hours ago, NuclearCoffeePot said:

2-Stats- Im fine with the base corrosive, im fine with 5% crit chance- but dear god give this thing a decent 15% status chance

The things I highlighted all explain why your idea would leave the Stug in its useless state.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

The things I highlighted all explain why your idea would leave the Stug in its useless state.

May i inquire why- Im honestly a bit confused as to the reactions

Making it a shotgun style launcher creating a sort of net/wave rather then a glob makes hitting targets easier especially at medium ranges and the status chance lets the corrosive actually proc 

Edited by NuclearCoffeePot

8 hours ago, NuclearCoffeePot said:

The fundamental [way] the Stug delivers its payload is wierd. It fires projectiles which stick to targets, but its also explosive?

Long ago, 20 years ago, DE and Epic (who now make Fortnight) worked together on Unreal Tournament, which was a huge FPS death match game in its day.

(Sorry if you know all this already, but there are plenty of folks playing Warframe who weren't born then)

As a nod to this Warframe has a couple of weapons that are copies of the old UT guns. Weapons like the Drakgoon and the Stug.

Those Stug mechanics are from a weapon called the Bio Rifle, that behaved in the same shooting-globs way.

8 hours ago, NuclearCoffeePot said:

I think it needs way more. OK, so clunky hard-to-use shooting mechanism usually means also more damage, think Lenz or Opticor for good examples of this.

I'd give it 10% crit, 25% status, but also a guaranteed corrosive proc (regardless of how you mod the weapon) to any enemy hit directly. 

Before the globs explode they get another damage application with status and crit re-rolled (affected by fire rate) every tick.

I'd make the explosion bigger (8m or so) and with the full damage and status chance, but very low crit.

It's then still horrible to use, but honouring UT's legacy, and players who can get the hang of its weirdness can spread corrosive and status procs around easily.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NuclearCoffeePot said:

May i inquire why- Im honestly a bit confused as to the reactions

Making it a shotgun style launcher creating a sort of net/wave rather then a glob makes hitting targets easier especially at medium ranges and the status chance lets the corrosive actually proc 

Of course! 

Shotgun-like weapons have their status divided by the amount of projectiles fired. Meaning, X amount of blobs will have %15/X status chance. Even with 99% status, it wouldn't cause all projectiles to proc. Kind of terrible. Ideally, the status chance should be 30-35%. Meaning, with dual stat mods, it can reach 100%; guaranteeing procs from all projectiles. Unless, of course, I misunderstood and you meant that the shot has thickness to it, and not multiple projectiles by default.

17 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Shotgun-like weapons have their status divided by the amount of projectiles fired.

It could use a Quartakk-style "instant burst" firing mode then, where each pellet gets the regular Status Chance and all.

(Really, all pellet-based Shotguns could / IMO should work that way, just make each "burst" cost 1 Ammo total.)

For the record, I'm not necessarily saying a Shotgun-esque spread shot would be my preferred change for ol' Stuggie Wuggie,
that's kind of a new weapon right there (gimme tho), I still have (some) hope that Stug can be salvaged with mostly number tweaks,
like that massive blast radius and Status pwnage increase suggestion, that seems usable enough / possibly fun, even.

On 2019-08-05 at 10:55 AM, NinjaZeku said:

It could use a Quartakk-style "instant burst" firing mode then, where each pellet gets the regular Status Chance and all.

(Really, all pellet-based Shotguns could / IMO should work that way, just make each "burst" cost 1 Ammo total.)

For the record, I'm not necessarily saying a Shotgun-esque spread shot would be my preferred change for ol' Stuggie Wuggie,
that's kind of a new weapon right there (gimme tho), I still have (some) hope that Stug can be salvaged with mostly number tweaks,
like that massive blast radius and Status pwnage increase suggestion, that seems usable enough / possibly fun, even.

I say fire like a shotgun but i don't mean give it pellets. Imagine a square of the adhesive that gets wider as it travels. The dmg and slow are the same no matter how much touches you it just has dmg fallof and a spread factor

They should remove the explosive aspect of the stug and just give the landed blobs a dps, status/tick like beam weapons (low chance?) and a duration during which the blobs stick and apply a slow debuff that stacks per blob applied.  Shooting the stug should feel like that scene in The Incredibles where Mr. Incredible gets overwhelmed by a ton of sticky blobs.  Then make the duration scale with 'ability resistance' so boss type enemies flick them off but take the damage faster so the slowing aspect isn't OP.

I disagree with OP's suggestion, and in general with turning one weapon or frame into another completely different weapon or frame that defeats the original spirit and intent of said weapon, just because the original is underperforming.

However:

On ‎2019‎-‎08‎-‎05 at 4:44 AM, (XB1)KayAitch said:

Long ago, 20 years ago, DE and Epic (who now make Fortnight) worked together on Unreal Tournament, which was a huge FPS death match game in its day.

(Sorry if you know all this already, but there are plenty of folks playing Warframe who weren't born then)

As a nod to this Warframe has a couple of weapons that are copies of the old UT guns. Weapons like the Drakgoon and the Stug.

Those Stug mechanics are from a weapon called the Bio Rifle, that behaved in the same shooting-globs way.

I think it needs way more. OK, so clunky hard-to-use shooting mechanism usually means also more damage, think Lenz or Opticor for good examples of this.

I'd give it 10% crit, 25% status, but also a guaranteed corrosive proc (regardless of how you mod the weapon) to any enemy hit directly. 

Before the globs explode they get another damage application with status and crit re-rolled (affected by fire rate) every tick.

I'd make the explosion bigger (8m or so) and with the full damage and status chance, but very low crit.

It's then still horrible to use, but honouring UT's legacy, and players who can get the hang of its weirdness can spread corrosive and status procs around easily.

Underrated post. One of the best posts I've seen here in a while, with nice background information and history to understand the context in which the weapon was introduced. 

Not only that, but @(XB1)KayAitch realistic and down to earth suggestions of slight tweaks and buffs that would make the weapon useable again are a refreshing and welcome sight, opposed to the all too often 'blinded-by-godly-powers' buffs and reworks that some people in these forums suggest (usually seen more in the 'frame reworks and fan concepts' topics).

The only thing I would change from this otherwise perfect suggestion is to keep explosion radius at 5-6m (8m is a bit too big for an explosion hose like Stug) and let the explosion keep its albeit still low crit.

• Like 1

As a actually seriously Stug player, I'll share my opinions about The Stug. 

Positive

- deals a lot of damage ( with mods, arcanes and rivens -->ends the low status, low damage and proj travel speed problems) 

- has a unique bullet (kind fun to watch grineer/corpus dying with a blob stucked in face)

- easy to get, hard to master 

Negative

- explosion time to weird/slow

- self damage (why god)

- extremely bad visual and effects (make a skin for Stug DE pls)

Bonus: I spend 7 formas, a lot of pl to make this weapon good. Sortie levels, high levels, 1 shoot eidolons... Stug can take that. Worth? Nah

Edited by Seriguela

7 hours ago, Seriguela said:

As a actually seriously Stug player, I'll share my opinions about The Stug. 

Positive

- deals a lot of damage ( with mods, arcanes and rivens -->ends the low status, low damage and proj travel speed problems) 

- has a unique bullet (kind fun to watch grineer/corpus dying with a blob stucked in face)

- easy to get, hard to master 

You should share your build with Leyzar, I think the Stug broke him: 

• Like 1

On 2019-08-05 at 4:44 AM, (XB1)KayAitch said:

I had no idea DE were involved with UT.  I played that back in college a bunch.  Great soundtrack too

How to make the weapon good

Remove the stacking mechanic as it messes with multishot, big blobs only available for the alt fire

Make the alt fire charge time be affected by fire rate mods and make the base charge time faster

Give the aoe either an innate slow effect or a 100% cold proc chance

Buff the status chance to 25% and make it apply to the projectiles too.

Give the alt fire blobs high crit stats, but low status

Make the self damage only apply to the alt fire

Edited by Madway7

On 2019-08-04 at 5:01 PM, (PS4)Black-Cat-Jinx said:

How to rework the stug.... *drops in a furnace*

On 2019-08-04 at 5:11 PM, NuclearCoffeePot said:

lol-Its basically a new weapon at this point

I can see the new description now........

tenno reinforcements, the The FUG

this grineer stug has seen a serious makeover, cover your enemies in acidic blobs of goo that leave a path of fire as they hit the ground and roll before exploding in a toxic cloud.

Honestly i want to see this thing get a rework to fire explosive bolts that are not the lackluster goo balls it shoots already, make them operate like the zhuge prime or like the the thrown weapons when they have that mod on them that make them explode, concealed explosives i think it was, heck just make an augment that changes its firing mechanic to act like that, JUST DO SOMETHING.....seriously this guys needs some love.

Note!!: do not my any means try the stug with hall of mirriors on mirage, the mirrors seem to make the goo balls explode on impact last time i tried this which always ends up bad for your health.

Edited by Daskrieg