Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Controller Gamers?

KingKeif

After buying a high performance gaming rig a couple years back, I pretty much gave up on console gaming. That is until Grand Theft Auto 5 came out. Honestly GTA 5 is the most fun I've had since I found Warframe, but that's besides the point. Using my Xbox 360 again, it got me thinking about a setting I've looked past in Warframe countless times. Controller settings.

So I plugged in my wired controller and started trying it out on Warframe. Honestly, I like it alot but there are a few issues I'm have with it. Some that can potentially ruin gameplay.

1.) The default hotkeys are terrible. That was an easy fix though and I guess that's really personal preference.

2.) You cannot browse the the solar system, select missions, and other browsing options with a controller.

3.) You cannot slide in game. There is no hotkey for this. How is that possible??

(sliding can be done by running and hitting crouch, but this slightly annoying because you need to double tap it to get out of crouch)

4.) There is no interaction hotkey. Meaning you can't hack terminals, call/start elevators, or help a teammates open dual access doors. (my mistake on that)

So I'm wondering if there are any other controller gamers out there. I'd like to hear your thoughts about this. Feel free to bring up any other problems you guys have found with controller gameplay. If I'm wrong about any of these, please correct me.

Edited by KingKeif

Never understood the urge to play WF with a gamepad, there are guns in WF.

Uh... what? Some people like to use a controller over a keyboard and mouse. Wait are you serious? There are guns in Warframe? Wow thank you for that insight? 

Edited by KingKeif

3.) You cannot slide in game. There is no hotkey for this. How is that possible??

Its just sprint and crouch. Its programmed in the default controller setting (Xbox 360) by pressing down on both analog sticks. One for toggle sprint and one for toggle crouch. I've been playing Warframe for the longest time using the Xbox controller and its not too bad at all. Only reason I eventually switched back to mouse and keyboard was because I needed to scroll/spam fire semi-autos and having easier time using multiple abilities at once.

You actually can slide. Hit the crouch button while running.

I've been using a gamepad since I first started playing (On of my PS3 controllers via MotionInJoy), and honestly none of those issues have really bothered me. I just keep a mouse nearby to do any clicking needing done.

Uh... what? Some people like to use a controller over a keyboard and mouse. Wait are you serious? There are guns in Warframe? Wow thank you for that insight? 

You can't aim what so ever with a gamepad, some genres are nice with a gamepad, racing, flying, twin sticks, side-scrolling platformers etc, FPS/TPS isn't in that list, there is a reason there is no cross-play between PC and consoles in competitive FPS/TPS games and the handful of titles that tried it had a really big job on their hands to balance it to stop the gamepad:ists from getting murdered.

If you're restricting yourself to only non-targeted warframe abilities and melee weapons it could work I guess, but that'd be tricky if you've ever faced with an enemy far away.

You can't aim what so ever with a gamepad, 

You mean you personally can not aim whatsoever with a gamepad. I manage it just fine, and I know many others who do as well. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer good ol' keyboard & mouse, but I am just as accurate with a gamepad.

If they could tweak the aim-assist, I would gladly play more with it...

I use D-pad Left/Right to cycle through powers, then Left Bumper to activate the selected power. I always change what to do with D-pad Up/Down...Any suggestions?

When I choose to use my controller, I've got left/right to select power, and down to use the power. I've got left bumper on jump.

I usually play with keyboard and mouse, but sometimes just for the heck of it, I go ahead and use my 360 pad, mostly on low threat missions (like running a Kappa with a few friends). It's mostly when I get a cramp or that my left pinky gets numb from the constant use of SHIFT and CTRL.

After messing around with the controls a bit, here's my setup (based on the 360 controller) :

L-Stick : Move

L-Stick Click : Sprint / Dodge

R-Stick : Aim

R-Stick Click : Toggle Crouch

A : Jump

X : Interact

Y : Switch weapon

B : Reload

Left Trigger : Aim

Right Trigger : Fire

Left Bumper : Melee

Right Bumper : Use Power

D-Pad Left : Previous Power

D-Pad Right : Next Power

D-Pad Down : Display Team Status

Back : Waypoint

Start : Open Menu

I also suggest turning off "Lock Melee to camera direction" when using the controller as it keeps you from having to spin around with the right stick to chain up melee strikes by letting you simply move with the left stick in the direction where you want to attack; aim assist can help but can sometime track the wrong person you're aiming at. It's up to you to decide which you prefer.

Melee is by default on the right bumper but I switched it to the left with Use Power since I sometime aim before using a power (so that aim assist helps track a target or to slow down the camera speed to more easily point at a distant target) and it's easier to use LT+RB than LT+LB.

Edited by Wiegraf

Aim assist is terrible, and often drags my crosshair way off target. I prefer to disable it and rely on my own skill instead.

It's the same with any game with aim assist actually; its down to personnal preferences at that point to either deal with its pull or go freestyle.

It's the same with any game with aim assist actually; its down to personnal preferences at that point to either deal with its pull or go freestyle.

Personally, I feel like "deal with its pull" is asking a bit much when the pull shifts your sights from dead in front of you to at the top of the staircase you're crouching under. They definitely need to tweak aim assist a bit more to, well, assist.

(Currently going freestyle)

I've played quite a few games that have aim assist for controllers, and none of them pull anywhere near as strongly and badly as this game does it...

About powers : check the "use power on selection" then bind power one to DPAD up, power 2 to DPAD right, power 3 to DPAD down and power 4 to DPAD left. With that you don't need a "us epower button" and I can spam powers MORE easily than with a keyboard.

It works very well.

I use the run on the right bumper and parry on the left joystick-click.

Eveything else is by default.

And I can play with sniping weapons with some success (even if with less success than a mouse, for sure) (precision 80% with the snipetron, and I'm just an average player)

Edited by vieuxchat