Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

This Is Not A Rant But An Honest Observation With Regards To Hosting System

RedPharaoh0817

Digital Extremes as we all know is not a new game Developers company. in fact it was founded on 1993 and has developed great games that most of us loved and enjoyed. games like unreal tournament, warpath, Bioshocks 1 & 2(great games by the way) and dark sector. maybe they are new to the online gaming but still they are well experienced and somehow well funded.

i have little or no problem (except the lack of story/lore which i am praying that it will be a blast when PS4 comes out) with how they are running things specially with updates containing new weapons, warframes, tilesets and etc but what i cant seem to grasp the concept is that why is it so hard for them to actually have dedicated servers for the game?

with its current hosting system it contains problems like:

-energy points dont show up

-switching weapons sometimes takes forever

-suddenly dying coz what you dont know is that you have been a sitting duck the whole time you were in lag

-endless possibilities caused by lag

-in short crazy as Sh!t LAG

even if you have good or even great connection, if host sucks your entire gaming experience would also suck.

earlier i was looking for some new online games and they had dedicated servers. they were developed by S#&$-knows-who companies and still they have the resources to put up dedicated servers and still earn big time.

i cant see any problems why is it so hard for DE to pull this off. by just judging the people who watched livestream, the count almost always reaches 7k above, meaning that is the least amount of players that are that dedicated to watch the livestreams which would also mean they play and and maybe some of them if not most of them are buying plats. not to mention that since it is going to be released along with the PS4 it means it is getting some sort of support from sony

so my question is why?

fell free to add anything that i might have overlooked...

What if you tried donating more money? The problem is as stated lack of money, sure they are fixing issues as much as possible with the system but you have to remember your running off another person's computer. Unless we the players can bring in a steady stream of money to give them a server we are pretty much stuck like this...

earlier i was looking for some new online games and they had dedicated servers. they were developed by S#&$-knows-who companies and still they have the resources to put up dedicated servers and still earn big time.

Also were they Asian Made games? Because those guys have the motherload God of all support backing all their projects no matter what company is hosting the game... Also a lot of those supposed no name companies are actually quite famous and POWERFUL... good example... Sugar rush... barely any power needed to run their servers, but you have to remember people are throwing money to BUY MORE TURNS just play the game longer... People are throwing money at a game that was more or less developed by like 1-4 people... Some of these no name companies you think are nameless are more powerful then you realize. Just because you live under a rock doesn't mean they were born yesterday...

What if you tried donating more money? The problem is as stated lack of money, sure they are fixing issues as much as possible with the system but you have to remember your running off another person's computer. Unless we the players can bring in a steady stream of money to give them a server we are pretty much stuck like this...

then why is it that online gaming companies that are not that well off can pull this off? compared to DE who is a well known, well respected and actually earned quite a lot from their previous games?

To add on to the list of problems,

- Cannot pick mods/drops

- Teleporting players and enemies

- Host migration resulting in more bugs (such as restarting mission)

- Invulnerability

- Sudden death

- Walking dead (Walking while downed)

- Shooting with melee weapon

my question is also why?

The only answer i can think of is that they are spending the money and man power on bug fixes and contents before WF's release. That could be why these features are delayed. 

Edit: oh hey red, didn't realise it was you xD

Edited by wkfire

then why is it that online gaming companies that are not that well off can pull this off? compared to DE who is a well known, well respected and actually earned quite a lot from their previous games?

DE is very below well known... there are several Canadian companies in Canada right now that have far greater names... They are fairly small, and even I had no idea what Dark Sector was, and I never picked up bioshock, or Darkness series before Warframe came out(still never picked up bioshock, or darkness series)... ,but People were more focused on a lot of other games to really notice they even had a hand in those series... People more less know big name companies from more game savy countries like EA, Bethesda, Arkham, Rock, Gear box, Relic, THQ (even though they died), Disney(hands down they just own everything), and several other companies they don't pop up off the top of my head... Heck I even know of Crytek... due to their massive gathering the best game creators in the world...

But Canada has a lot of under the radar companies... Even Dice a Swedish company is far more well known (will be more well known if they actually finish Star Wars Battlefront 3)

Warframe was the only game that actually gave me a wake up call game creating companies even existed in that country...

Heck even Aeria games is a lot more powerful then most people give them credit for...

Warframe is standalone... they have no one hosting their stuff and it would cost money to do so, and HURT the game if they did... a lot of games were badly damaged when they let some big name company host them...

One solution I can see for this type of problem, have like a lobby for each mission then we can choose which squad we can join in.  And probably a ping test for each squad so at least we know if we'll lag a lot or just a little if we join such squad.

One solution I can see for this type of problem, have like a lobby for each mission then we can choose which squad we can join in.  And probably a ping test for each squad so at least we know if we'll lag a lot or just a little if we join such squad.

A Lobby with a list of all the squads playing, data on how many in it, data on ping, data on how far they are in the level like a percentage limit so you don't show up just as they kill the boss and miss the reward...

"DE is very below well known"

Eeeeh.. the guys that brought us Unreal Tournament small? Bioshock small? I think your delusional... And who the hell are Aeria games? My point is: it totally depends on your interest whether or not a specific company is on your radar..

As for the dedicated server issue... I was actually surprised how they went with the peer-to-peer model over dedicated, considering the insane amount of experience they SHOULD have with online gaming, Unreal Tournament having been the de-facto standard for eons and all..

A Lobby with a list of all the squads playing, data on how many in it, data on ping, data on how far they are in the level like a percentage limit so you don't show up just as they kill the boss and miss the reward...

or when they encountered the boss, players wouldn't be able to join the squad.  It might bring more problems such as players who just join in, kill, see drop, leave the game.

"DE is very below well known"

Eeeeh.. the guys that brought us Unreal Tournament small? Bioshock small? I think your delusional... And who the hell are Aeria games? My point is: it totally depends on your interest whether or not a specific company is on your radar..

As for the dedicated server issue... I was actually surprised how they went with the peer-to-peer model over dedicated, considering the insane amount of experience they SHOULD have with online gaming, Unreal Tournament having been the de-facto standard for eons and all..

It cost too much money watch livestream... infact read up on why Warhammer 40k Dark millennium couldn't be an online MMO... its TOO expensive to get a dedicated server...

What the F*** is wrong with you?

They didn't appeal to my interest... I was too busy playing AVP, Dishonored, Bethesda games, Disney games, and various other companies... oh and collecting Japanese games like Armored core and gundam... and playing online games under Aeria Games, and .gpotato... two of the most famous and most powerful, and even the most influential Online game portal sites/host... Even I know of them... I have played all their games... and they have been some of the best around... If you want to be an expert at online games play all their games and reach level 20 or higher... that's when you know your a pro at the MMO scene... well I played more then that I played all the free to play Sony MMOs as well, and several other various groups...

But yeah... they didn't appeal to me... Heck I have never played Unreal till I got my hands on 3 and I HATED IT!!!...

DE is very below well known... there are several Canadian companies in Canada right now that have far greater names... They are fairly small, and even I had no idea what Dark Sector was, and I never picked up bioshock, or Darkness series before Warframe came out(still never picked up bioshock, or darkness series)... ,but People were more focused on a lot of other games to really notice they even had a hand in those series... People more less know big name companies from more game savy countries like EA, Bethesda, Arkham, Rock, Gear box, Relic, THQ (even though they died), Disney(hands down they just own everything), and several other companies they don't pop up off the top of my head... Heck I even know of Crytek... due to their massive gathering the best game creators in the world...

But Canada has a lot of under the radar companies... Even Dice a Swedish company is far more well known (will be more well known if they actually finish Star Wars Battlefront 3)

Warframe was the only game that actually gave me a wake up call game creating companies even existed in that country...

Heck even Aeria games is a lot more powerful then most people give them credit for...

Warframe is standalone... they have no one hosting their stuff and it would cost money to do so, and HURT the game if they did... a lot of games were badly damaged when they let some big name company host them...

comparing DE with the game DEVELOPER gods is quite unfair. with the resources they have its no wonder they get what they want. but for DE who is a small time Developer company, its actually quite good in their own standards. for online gaming unreal tournament was a smashing hit and they could use some things from Unreal to enhance warframe. for lan and offline gaming bioshock was a jaw dropper when it came to lore/story. two things which are clearly lacking in warframe...

going back to dedicated servers, heck even browser games manage to get a dedicated server up and running. ok i respect great companies like EA and disney, and comparing them with DE is really way off... but that doesnt mean that DE is a substandard company to pull off running dedicated servers for its players. for me the anomaly of things revolve on the premise that DE is having problems that substandard companies are having a cake-walk in...

It cost too much money watch livestream... infact read up on why Warhammer 40k Dark millennium couldn't be an online MMO... its TOO expensive to get a dedicated server...

They didn't appeal to my interest... I was too busy playing AVP, Dishonored, Bethesda games, Disney games, and various other companies... oh and collecting Japanese games like Armored core and gundam... and playing online games under Aeria Games, and .gpotato... two of the most famous and most powerful, and even the most influential Online game portal sites/host... Even I know of them... I have played all their games... and they have been some of the best around... If you want to be an expert at online games play all their games and reach level 20 or higher... that's when you know your a pro at the MMO scene... well I played more then that I played all the free to play Sony MMOs as well, and several other various groups...

But yeah... they didn't appeal to me... Heck I have never played Unreal till I got my hands on 3 and I HATED IT!!!...

I don't care about your MMO life story. Why are you even telling me?

The point is that if you're not even going to look at DE's track record, you have no right to say that they are "very below well known."

And Gpotato should just die already. Any sane person got sick of their Pay 2 Win crap years ago.

Edited by FatalX7

comparing DE with the game DEVELOPER gods is quite unfair. with the resources they have its no wonder they get what they want. but for DE who is a small time Developer company, its actually quite good in their own standards. for online gaming unreal tournament was a smashing hit and they could use some things from Unreal to enhance warframe. for lan and offline gaming bioshock was a jaw dropper when it came to lore/story. two things which are clearly lacking in warframe...

going back to dedicated servers, heck even browser games manage to get a dedicated server up and running. ok i respect great companies like EA and disney, and comparing them with DE is really way off... but that doesnt mean that DE is a substandard company to pull off running dedicated servers for its players. for me the anomaly of things revolve on the premise that DE is having problems that substandard companies are having a cake-walk in...

Well then I guess its marketing... Maybe DE didn't know how to properly market Warframe so when hey finally did it they became worried on how to develop for it... (They did a very poor job at marketing darkness, and Bioshock was worse the then the new Judge Dredd movie... ) They should've had that guy that marketed Fable I, and II... everyone flocked in like OMG going to do awesome stuff!!! blah blah blah... Bioshock, and Darkness was like... Yawn... Then Vanquish and I am like OMG OMG OMG OMG Metal Gear RIP OFF YEAH!!!

Still they have terrible marketers... have you seen their ads? Poorest detail I have ever seen for an MMO ad(Even Wartune convinced me to play their game, and I hate browser war games, ).Still I just have a feeling MAYBE all the good marketers, and resources are going towards other games maybe? I mean they were stuttering during some of the questioning at the conventions... So maybe DE can't afford it because of resource allotment, or dedicated servers are just that expensive... I heard for Warhammer 40k DM it costed in the hundreds of thousands for a server... that is ALOT...

Also... I have never seen an advertisement for Unreal till Unreal 3 came out... did they even advertise that? Also If warframe was offline people would modify information and cheat... which is very wrong...

Edited by Arlayn

i respect your preferences to what games you are playing but the point is numbers dont lie... you may not have played or even liked Unreal or Bioshock, but with the gross they had and the impact they made on the gamers on a world wide basis, your argument of them saying that "they are below well know" is actually an insult...

maybe for you, DE wont ring a bell but for the other million of gamers out there DE is a company who makes great games...

with that argument of DE reputation being said, i still believe dedicated servers should also be a walk-in-the-park for DE instead of a peer-to-peer connection...

i respect your preferences to what games you are playing but the point is numbers dont lie... you may not have played or even liked Unreal or Bioshock, but with the gross they had and the impact they made on the gamers on a world wide basis, your argument of them saying that "they are below well know" is actually an insult...

maybe for you, DE wont ring a bell but for the other million of gamers out there DE is a company who makes great games...

with that argument of DE reputation being said, i still believe dedicated servers should also be a walk-in-the-park for DE instead of a peer-to-peer connection...

If DE is as big as you say why did they rely on D3 to publish Dark Sector? Couldn't they become their own big name developer/publisher? Couldn't they have just stuck to PC? Couldn't they have gone to another publisher? Why didn't DE stick to using Unreal engine for warframe? Because they do not own unreal engine... They would have to pay money to use an engine they don't own, but did make... DE isn't that big, and hardly well known by the gaming community at large... heck I have never seen a game reviewer reviewing Darkness II, or Bioshock even mention DE once... They may have had names in lights once upon a time during the era of Unreal, but currently their name has just been a side name slapped on to the side of boxes being completely mysterious and unknown... Its like... who is Banpresto? (maker of several well known games for the Sega Genesis actually, and still working on games)

Edit: I have great doubts they have the money or power to get a hold of a Dedicated server, if THQ couldn't do it, neither can DE.

Edited by Arlayn

Well then I guess its marketing... Maybe DE didn't know how to properly market Warframe so when hey finally did it they became worried on how to develop for it... (They did a very poor job at marketing darkness, and Bioshock was worse the then the new Judge Dredd movie... ) They should've had that guy that marketed Fable I, and II... everyone flocked in like OMG going to do awesome stuff!!! blah blah blah... Bioshock, and Darkness was like... Yawn... Then Vanquish and I am like OMG OMG OMG OMG Metal Gear RIP OFF YEAH!!!

Still they have terrible marketers... have you seen their ads? Poorest detail I have ever seen for an MMO ad(Even Wartune convinced me to play their game, and I hate browser war games, ).Still I just have a feeling MAYBE all the good marketers, and resources are going towards other games maybe? I mean they were stuttering during some of the questioning at the conventions... So maybe DE can't afford it because of resource allotment, or dedicated servers are just that expensive... I heard for Warhammer 40k DM it costed in the hundreds of thousands for a server... that is ALOT...

Also... I have never seen an advertisement for Unreal till Unreal 3 came out... did they even advertise that? Also If warframe was offline people would modify information and cheat... which is very wrong...

ok we are now revolving on the subject on "what YOU want" and what "what YOU like"... what appealed to your tastes...

ok if you are saying that how they marketed bioshock and the other great games were trash, then i guess the 2007 Game of the Year was a complete hoax(bioshock won by the way).

you are arriving to the conclusion that bioshock and unreal were crappy games, ok i respect that but also please take note that your opinion is only one opinion compared to the millions of gamers out there who loved the games and paved the way in introducing DE

i cant entirely agree with you on the marketing though... yeah its detail on the adds and pop-ups you see on other sites make it look like a cheap browser game... but on the other hand, atleast they are still marketing it and made it stand out compared to the other hundred of MMO out there...

ok we are now revolving on the subject on "what YOU want" and what "what YOU like"... what appealed to your tastes...

ok if you are saying that how they marketed bioshock and the other great games were trash, then i guess the 2007 Game of the Year was a complete hoax(bioshock won by the way).

you are arriving to the conclusion that bioshock and unreal were crappy games, ok i respect that but also please take note that your opinion is only one opinion compared to the millions of gamers out there who loved the games and paved the way in introducing DE

i cant entirely agree with you on the marketing though... yeah its detail on the adds and pop-ups you see on other sites make it look like a cheap browser game... but on the other hand, atleast they are still marketing it and made it stand out compared to the other hundred of MMO out there...

Wartune is still grabbing my attention more then Warframe...

Also its not just about who does what better... its the fact that DE obviously does not wield as much power as some think... and Remember THQ was friggin huge... they had all the power... and they still couldn't do Warhammer 40k DM MMO... it was impossible... DE will not be able to pull off a dedicated server...

-snip-

It's kinda like Walmart. Are they not making enough profit? No. Then how come most employees are still part time, always under staffed, and recieve minimal benefits and treatments? Answer is simple. Greed, maximize profit.

At global scale, with enough resources to push their game into PS4 market. They certainly made a name for themselves. Look how long the Founder Packages been staying up? It's still up because people are still buying them, it is a lucrative opportunity and shouldn't be wasted.

Look at the prices in the Market, and look at the Platinum transfer rate. Only items that goes on sale, the price only seem reasonable until then. In usual case, everything is...Well, lack of better words - ApeS#&$ overpriced. YET, people still won't hesitate to purchase platinum. (Shamlessly admitting, I for one)

They earn enough, I'd say way more than enough to feed their family and luxury. But greed lives in us all.