Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cold Status Effects & how they block new Status Effects. Coming Changes.

[DE]Rebecca

On 2019-08-10 at 12:52 AM, [DE]Rebecca said:

Tenno,

The team has been raising old topics when time permits, and we've come across some specific older feedback about  🥶 COLD STATUS EFFECTS! Back in the day (in 2016 to be exact), we put a topic to rest that 'Cold Status Effects prevent other Status Effects from being applied, because the target is frozen solid'!

Time goes on, and this topic was re-reviewed.

Currently on live: If you freeze an enemy with a Cold Status Effect, you cannot apply any new Status Effects until that is done.
Demonstration:

Coming Soon: If you freeze an enemy with a Cold Status Effect, you can immediately apply other Status Effects!
Demonstration:

Other Minor Inconsistencies we are fixing:

Currently on live: If you hit an enemy with a Status Effect (like Toxin) then Freeze them with a Cold Status Effect, it prolongs the duration, but only if you got the Status Effect in before Cold hit. You could never apply new Status Effects while an enemy was Frozen, which was detrimental in many ways to builds and teamplay. These Status Effects will run their normal durations for consistency after this change, while allowing new ones!

But wait, there's more! This also changes the way Gara's Targets and Atlas' Petrified Targets react (i.e they now get this new behaviour).

Is every element going to be reworked in the future? The proposed changes to cold/frozen status effect seems ok, if it works as advertised. You could go one step further and allow frozen enemies to be displaced. That way frames with displacement skills wont be hindered (eg Nidus's Larva, Mag's Pull).

Edited by tychondus

Well, it's really cool that we can now apply more status effects to frozen enemies, but keeping status effects applied before freezing running until the freeze ended was a really fun thing, and I'm kinda disappointed that this was just removed.

As for balance goes, I can hardly think how allowing status effects that were applied before freezing to remain active on a frozen enemy would be OP, or even less, broken.

Edited by D_Caedus

While you're at it. Might want to fix current Cold Status to slow movement instead of Time itself.

Would like to see better status / animation prioritization in general. Like Nyx's Pacifying Bolts and Impact procs.

• 2 weeks later...

So, this is a problem that exists for AT LEAST THREE YEARS, a problem that makes one status effect pretty damn worse than it already is and makes Frost significantly worse as a whole and only now they decided to fix it? And people are applauding? Wat??

No wonder this game has the mandatory "content drought" spam posts every 2 months and such big player bleedout...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nitro747 said:

So, this is a problem that exists for AT LEAST THREE YEARS, a problem that makes one status effect pretty damn worse than it already is and makes Frost significantly worse as a whole and only now they decided to fix it? And people are applauding? Wat??

No wonder this game has the mandatory "content drought" spam posts every 2 months and such big player bleedout...

Because positive reinforcement is way more effective than negative reinforcement.

If you only complain about problems, but show no sign of gratitude when they get resolved or even worse, post stuff like "took you long enough", devs will resent solving problems and will focus even more on adding new little features, because those get more positive feedback.

For best possible results, complain about problems and when they get solved, show gratitude.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vethalon said:

Because positive reinforcement is way more effective than negative reinforcement.

If you only complain about problems, but show no sign of gratitude when they get resolved or even worse, post stuff like "took you long enough", devs will resent solving problems and will focus even more on adding new little features, because those get more positive feedback.

For best possible results, complain about problems and when they get solved, show gratitude.

"Thank-you company for actually doing your job and delivering a decent product in which I'm paying for" sound right enough for you?

Give-me a break, now we have to show "gratitude" to a business when they do their jobs. I show them gratitude when they give me a forma bundle when Wukong got reworked. Or when a catalyst BP is delivered because or server maintenances. Not when they are fixing bugs that lingered for years.

1 hour ago, Nitro747 said:

"Thank-you company for actually doing your job and delivering a decent product in which I'm paying for" sound right enough for you?

Give-me a break, now we have to show "gratitude" to a business when they do their jobs. I show them gratitude when they give me a forma bundle when Wukong got reworked. Or when a catalyst BP is delivered because or server maintenances. Not when they are fixing bugs that lingered for years.

I don't think you understood a word I wrote.

Try the following:

Hire a craftsman to renovate your home.

He starts working on your flooring but when he is done one of the tiles is a bit crooked.

He moves on to do something else, you notice the crooked tile and mention it to him, he says he will get to it.

You come back later and the tile is still crooked, so you tell him that it's kinda important.

Next time you come back he finally fixed it, you now have two choices:

1. You thank him sincerely.

2. You say something like "Finally, it's about time, next time correct it right away!"

One will result in a motivated worker who'll feel compelled to do a good job and the other will result in a worker who'll do the bare minimum.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be angry, I'm just saying that pleasantries will get better results. Every time.

In this case the whole "it's their job" thinking is even more flawed, as they basically already did their job. All the stuff they are doing now is try to make the game more attractive so people will spend (or continue to spend) money on the game so it's in their best interest to fix the game. They could just as well say f it and close down the servers and we would have no option to go to court or the like, of course not one of us would give them any money ever again, but it's still how this works.

When you pay money for warframe, you don't spend money to receive a working game, you spend money for virtual items. If those items are not as advertised, you have legal grounds, the game itself is just a platform, there to incentivise you to buy items. That's the big difference between a ftp game and a game you pay money for.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Vethalon said:

I don't think you understood a word I wrote.

Try the following:

Hire a craftsman to renovate your home.

He starts working on your flooring but when he is done one of the tiles is a bit crooked.

He moves on to do something else, you notice the crooked tile and mention it to him, he says he will get to it.

You come back later and the tile is still crooked, so you tell him that it's kinda important.

- 3 years later he fix the crooked tile

- anyone according to your logic: OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH, I'm SoooO GRATEFUL

yeah, no.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Vethalon said:

fine, see for yourself what that attitude will get you in life...

it will most likely getting me the job done and finished products? Quality stuff? Did you know its ok to be demanding with stuff you pay for? 😮

4 hours ago, Nitro747 said:

stuff you pay for

Like a free-to-play game? 

You say "the crooked tile" as though it's simultaneously the WORST thing to be left for three years, and the most insignificant thing to fix.
DE are working on cool stuff all the time, and when things are raised through bug reports or discussed on forums, they get fixed if they can. If the bug is game-breaking, they'll fix ASAP.

• Like 1

This is so WRONG, back then if a status effect was proc before the frozen the status was frozen too so it last until the freeze expired (infinite during freeze), now it doesnt:

This affects limbo too that used to use 2 stop enemies and their status effects too, I dont know if this is intencional (I hope not) but I think that has to come back, it was a very important feature/mecanic.I hope you read this and fix it.

Thanks for reading.

I know there are probably bigger design issues to look at, but stuff like this is what makes me personally the happiest. Simple code/script changes which clean up and standardise implementation to me matter as much as (of not more so than) major content additions. I would love to see a similar look at per-pellet status chance for weapons with native multishot, because THAT is in a similar state of gigantic frikkin' mess, what with it being calculated through a radical function.

DE, if you can - please have at least one person go through old coding issues like this on a semi-permanent basis.

• 2 weeks later...

Can we have freeze effects prolonging status effects a feature added in - in some shape or form?

Some builds used this and now the feature the feature is gone. A revisit to status effects and status duration mods would be great. Perhaps a mod set bonus? Both? Typically pause-abuse uses high ability duration, so a duration based mod set would be great.