(XB1)KayAitch

K drives, why not use them everywhere?

I recently decided to try levelling up all the K drives and maxing Ventkids standing.

(The best way is doing all 5 races on the Vallis each day, and if one ends near its start repeat a few times).

The k-drives are fun, but the Vallis is the wrong environment for them, at least vs archwing. Even given my goal is grinding the k-drives I still find myself using archwing between race start points.

Nothing's really going to change that, short of nerfing archwing.

So, why not just let us use k-drives everywhere

Yeah, there are few spaces in few tilesets where you wouldn't just be crashing into walls, but then that would be kind of funny too.

It would be useful in capture missions, maybe extraction. It would be utterly useless (but probably funny) in defence missions.

So limited uses, but up to players to find out where it does and does not work.

And meanwhile, it gives k-drives a bunch of uses archwings don't have.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 4

Just now, (XB1)KayAitch said:

So, why not just let us use k-drives everywhere?

I would only support this just to watch people run into walls in every single ship tileset.

The vast majority of Warframe's maps are too small to support a hoverboard, you wouldn't be able to reach any speed without needing to make hard turns that would slow you down more than just bullet jumping everywhere.

• Applause 2
  • Upvote 1

I don't even want to use a k-drive in the open worlds, no way would I use it in a normal mission 😂 Especially with how easy it is to throw yourself off of it. You'd be ragdolled every time you bumped into a wall or invisible corner.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Aldain said:

I would only support this just to watch people run into walls in every single ship tileset.

The vast majority of Warframe's maps are too small to support a hoverboard, you wouldn't be able to reach any speed without needing to make hard turns that would slow you down more than just bullet jumping everywhere

Yup (that is part of the reason why I want it) 🤣

But, a small number of maps would work (parts of the ice ship, larger corpus base, gas city, etc), and figuring it out would be part of the fun.

If DE try to figure that out for us it will never happen, so it should be everywhere, and if someone wants to faceplant every couple of meters in Eris, well, that would be funny anyway.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, --Brandt-- said:

I don't even want to use a k-drive in the open worlds, no way would I use it in a normal mission

Well, that's kind of my point - they aren't used in open worlds because archwings are better.

The only exception is caves. There are one or two places (mainly PoE bounties) where k-driving through caves is the quickest way.

4 minutes ago, --Brandt-- said:

😂 Especially with how easy it is to throw yourself off of it. You'd be ragdolled every time you bumped into a wall or invisible corner

Worth it because it would be funny though.

If it works on event one tile in one set that's a tiny bit of utility that k-drives have that archwings don't, which they need.

My only issue with K-driving in normal missions is its already annoying and sad how most players just rush to the objetive then ending of the mission.

Im not agains having them in normal missions if there are circumstances that could require them or to use something from the scenario as a K-drive to cross certain areas.

While I do agree K-Drive should have more uses since they are more of a fun factor as of right now, but they would probably feel too clunky if they were allowed in non-open worlds.

11 minutes ago, xXDeadsinxX said:

While I do agree K-Drive should have more uses since they are more of a fun factor as of right now, but they would probably feel too clunky if they were allowed in non-open worlds

Yeah, they'd be hideously clunky. Like archguns. And the entirety of Titania's Razorwing. And loads of other stuff. Clunky is kind of the norm for lots of Warframe's content.

But if there's even one mission where you can zip across a tileset in a different way then that would be fun, so why not?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, (XB1)KayAitch said:

Yeah, they'd be hideously clunky. Like archguns. And the entirety of Titania's Razorwing. And loads of other stuff. Clunky is kind of the norm for lots of Warframe's content.

But if there's even one mission where you can zip across a tileset in a different way then that would be fun, so why not?

True, you’re definitely not wrong haha.

Edited by xXDeadsinxX
  • Like 1

I agree, some tilesets sometimes generate in a way where having a kdrive would greatly reduce the fatigue of bullet jumping and whatnot. cough arbi excavation cough

5 hours ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

My only issue with K-driving in normal missions is its already annoying and sad how most players just rush to the objetive then ending of the mission.

Im not agains having them in normal missions if there are circumstances that could require them or to use something from the scenario as a K-drive to cross certain areas.

Inside a ship, there is no way that would even be close to operator movement, especially with maxed zenurrik.  It would be faster for some I suppose, but not as quick as what we already have.  

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, (XB1)KayAitch said:

I recently decided to try levelling up all the K drives and maxing Ventkids standing.

(The best way is doing all 5 races on the Vallis each day, and if one ends near its start repeat a few times).

The k-drives are fun, but the Vallis is the wrong environment for them, at least vs archwing. Even given my goal is grinding the k-drives I still find myself using archwing between race start points.

Nothing's really going to change that, short of nerfing archwing.

So, why not just let us use k-drives everywhere

Yeah, there are few spaces in few tilesets where you wouldn't just be crashing into walls, but then that would be kind of funny too.

It would be useful in capture missions, maybe extraction. It would be utterly useless (but probably funny) in defence missions.

So limited uses, but up to players to find out where it does and does not work.

And meanwhile, it gives k-drives a bunch of uses archwings don't have.

i will never use a k drive again if i can help it.  they are unfun, slow and unoptimal.  i hate them.  if you want to use them, that's cool.  but i couldn't care less.  my main issue is that K drives are faster than warframes and some people can't even manage to pilot their warframe without running into a wall every five seconds and making the team wait a full minute on XT.  now you want to give those same people extra summon time, plus make them take even longer to pilot the map?  i don't like this idea because it impacts me negatively and probably many others too.  we already have to carry dead weight as it is, i'd rather not have them be even slower.

Edited by Klokwerkaos

1 hour ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

DE said no

Have they? When?

1 hour ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Because trying to control a hoverboard that’s going 40mph down a crowded hallway is not fun.

They have plenty of races in the Vallis that do just that in various caves. I found it fun, even if you don't.

1 hour ago, Klokwerkaos said:

some people can't even manage to pilot their warframe without running into a wall every five seconds and making the team wait a full minute on XT

I think those players just aren't heading for extraction, they're doing something else. I don't think anyone is stumbling into walls so much they can't make it to the exit.

my main issue is that K drives are faster than warframes [...] now you want to give those same people extra summon time, plus make them take even longer to pilot the map

So k-drives are too fast and too slow?

i don't like this idea because it impacts me negatively and probably many others too.  we already have to carry dead weight as it is, i'd rather not have them be even slower

Warframe is pretty easy. I don't think I've met anyone who's "dead weight". New players and folks trying stuff out, sure, but they only get things wrong once or twice before they figure out what doesn't work.

8 hours ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

My only issue with K-driving in normal missions is its already annoying and sad how most players just rush to the objetive then ending of the mission

So some players don't like the idea because it would stop them rushing to the objective, and others because it would let others rush to the objective.

Honestly, I think that's a clash of play-styles thing this won't really make a difference too. Fastest rush is still going to be Naramon+Zenurik waybounds, and some players like dawdling or are looking for resources. This doesn't change that.

I agree 100% with the OP, and I in fact would like K-Drives to replace sprinting, as K-Drives exist to make us go fast. I do think this would require a rework to K-Drive movement and actions, as currently most K-Drive inputs are just trick buttons, and the jump button really isn't responsive (charging up a jump pre-emptively doesn't really work when compared to just reactively jumping when necessary, including when racing across the Vallis), and I agree that many older tilesets don't quite have the space needed to make them feel good, but nonetheless, it would still be a marked improvement. Tileset-related problems would also lessen over time, as most tilesets currently don't even really accommodate Parkour 2.0, and so need a Jovian Concord-style update (and, incidentally, the new Gas City Tileset is perfect for Parkour 2.0, and would accommodate K-Drives just fine).

I sadly have to disagree. Seeing 3 other people on a kdrive on hydron just for me to do all the work, no thanks. I'm already pissed when people have to lvl their amps.

I think it's because we can't do anything else on a K-drive, not shoot, not cast, nothing. So all we'd be doing is attempting to run through a tile-set in a faster, funnier way, with none of the benefits of the abilities and weapons that let us enjoy the run.

Posted (edited)

K-Drives in the other environments really makes me think De could kill two birds with one stone with a module Warframe like the robotic companions you can assemble on Cetus...

Armored Core Players have been ignored this console cycle and De could create a Bursa frame that could skate around like a K-drive and send them all a love letter in the form of a Warframe Jet Mech...

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey

2 hours ago, (XB1)GaussPrime said:

I sadly have to disagree. Seeing 3 other people on a kdrive on hydron just for me to do all the work, no thanks

What work? I can Saryn into Hydron, kill everything before anyone sees it, happily cap my focus for the day and level up any kit anyone brought at the same time.

While on a k-drive I don't think you get any rep anyway - I think that element's pretty broken on them.

2 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

I think it's because we can't do anything else on a K-drive, not shoot, not cast, nothing. So all we'd be doing is attempting to run through a tile-set in a faster, funnier way, with none of the benefits of the abilities and weapons that let us enjoy the run

You had me at "faster, funnier way" 😀

Posted (edited)

Actually I did use them quite some time and they are not as bad if you use Magus Drift. However I have 4 major issues with K-drives:

Spoiler

1.) You can not stack Magus Drive. While one of them is "enought" to surpass the regular speed of archwings it bothers me that Volt applies a speed buff where you can hardly maneuver inside of the narrow corridors of tilesets but more speed in open world areas for K-drives isn´t allowed... really? Of cause they will never compete with the blink ability from Itzal but at least traveling this way doesn´t consume energy and makes them the more consistent choice which might actually be worth for longer distances.

2.)  You have to sacrifice an operator slot. I don´t think that´s fair and K-drives should get there own arcane slots or better just increase the speed provided by Nitro Boost and Extreme Velocity especially when considering point 3 and 4 this arcane could have another purpose.

3.) You have to activate the buff and it´s limited to 20 second. This isn´t necessarily a bad thing but the problem is I could not find a reliable way of reactivating this buff which contradicts my suggested advantage of consistency. I did some fancy stuff with demount in midair -> switch to operator mode -> mount again but as you might know there is some kind of clunkiness to this since all of the needed animation arn´t very smooth and have some kind of arkward delay (maybe in order to make them work better with the netcode or something? idk). Alternatively (if we get operator for arcwings some day) you could get the buff permanently while in operator mode at the cost of not beeing able to use the warframe weapons (see below).

4.) You can not use weapons. I don´t know excatly why this is the case but if too much mobility is the concern (for some reason) there can be adjustments like: lowering the base, increasing the boost speed and make it so weapons are holstered while using the boost.

If all of the things above can be solve I sure K-drives would be an acceptable alternative.

Anyway for indoor mission I don´t think they would be very beneficial since big open areas are quite an exception. Might depend on the actual tileset though but the only one I can think of currently is the corpus snow planet tileset. Or maybe the infested ship tileset .. you know as some kind of challenge.

Edited by Arcira

56 minutes ago, Arcira said:

Actually I did use them quite some time and they are not as bad if you use Magus Drift. However I have 4 major issues with K-drives:

They seem more like issues with Magus Drift, which is pointless. It might make sense if operators could ride k-drives, but 20s speed boost isn't much use.

Weapons is a bit more of a problem - as you need both triggers and bumpers to do any tricks, nobody has enough fingers to also aim and shoot.

I would like some kind of melee though - maybe tap B to cavalry slash and hold B to joust.

3 hours ago, (XB1)KayAitch said:

They seem more like issues with Magus Drift, which is pointless. It might make sense if operators could ride k-drives, but 20s speed boost isn't much use.

Weapons is a bit more of a problem - as you need both triggers and bumpers to do any tricks, nobody has enough fingers to also aim and shoot.

I would like some kind of melee though - maybe tap B to cavalry slash and hold B to joust.

That´s why I mentioned it would be permanent active in operator mode regardless of that the standard speed mods for K-drive need more level (= more speed). I terms of the key limitation "boost" could be a toggle mode in standard you can shoot your weapons but your are slow and can´t perform stunt and the opposite in boost mode.

Posted (edited)

An easy way to get people interested in K-drive is to make it possible to use weapon and ability while onboard. Or better yet, let the operator ride it instead of the frame. I basically stop using it after I build my archwing launcher (except for Rihno because its iron skin need to be recast after each AW dismount.)

Edited by (NSW)CthulhuAzathoth

On 2019-08-13 at 4:24 PM, (NSW)CthulhuAzathoth said:

An easy way to get people interested in K-drive is to make it possible to use weapon and ability while onboard. Or better yet, let the operator ride it instead of the frame. I basically stop using it after I build my archwing launcher (except for Rihno because its iron skin need to be recast after each AW dismount.)

Yes, +1

Archwings are faster and have weapons along with new abilities.  

K-drives need weapons, maybe just secondary and melee allowed to create differences with archwing.  

There can be two modes of k-drive you swap with middle mouse butting (like alt fire). 

1.) Tricks available

2.) Weapons available (but fewer tricks possible due to RMB for aim, left attack).  Would require skill to trick, swap, aim, fire!  

The same features for operator need to apply with amps.  Really a missed opportunity for DE leaving operators off kdrives.  Hell, they even look like the vent kids...

Experience can be gained same way, i.e. gun play will not level k-drive.  

Without weapons, kdrives are just as pointless in regular maps as they are in open world's. 

Considering DE never goes back to old ideas, with exception of tweaks to warframes, may as well move on.  This is never gonna happen.  

Posted (edited)

this certainly would be (kind of) fun if we could, but i'm afraid the 'normal' level aren't suited for this kind of action... though, the damn volt-speed-steroids and/or wukong ironstaff + berserker ground-spins are already near the lightspeed barrier... so wth not ^^)

while at it, let us fly through corpus ships with our AW ( #deathstarendfight )

Edited by fr4gb4ll