Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shields Effects In General Are Lacking And Need To Be Improved

Niryco

http://youtu.be/LJXQv3Y4g6c?t=3m29s

A simple video to just illustrate what i mean.

Firstly getting shot when shields are up is like bullets hitting water, as seen in other games with shields but instead a different colour of splashed water(halo which is golden and blue for elites). The comment marks how little "originality" there would be to projectiles hitting shields, so can there be something that makes warframes shields different from other games? Such an advance piece of technological suit with never heard of space magic has a very bland shielding system (visually) where i would expect something different and unique on its own.

Second, when shields are broken there is hardly any indicator so that tells you it did expect for the damage marker and your body shining red and orange. Shields breaking down could be a cool effect, maybe something like a shattering dome of glass or etc, something to indicate that their shields is down. As it is now, it just shows that shields are not meant to inform people it has deactivated.

Third and final note, design of shields are basic. I mean look at it, it is just a blue coloured layer around the player at the base level. I am not sure if this is intended to give a sense of advanced shielding tech, but it doesn't look like any work was put into it. Shields are also artwork, but they display no sort of advanced technological design aspect rather a minimally worked visual for the mechanic we called shields.

These may all be minor details, but they get on the nerves of players too when you have a lackluster indicator for shields dropping, a slightly distinguishable shield to health visual with almost hardly any work put into the shield section and the water effects that multiply when being shot by alot of enemies and creating a large unnecessary blur.

Also DE, please inform us if any of this visual change is making its way into the game before implementing it, at least we know first hand how the new shields would look like and provide proper feedback when necessary.

Edited by Jacate

The shields are simply a layer to accent the overall sleek design of the Warframes, I believe. Secondly, although you have addressed what you personally don't like about the shields, could you provide some quick examples of the the Devs could possibly due to fix it?

I did,

If you read, First is the water marks creates a large blur which interrupts vision, example grakatas or multiple enemies firing off at the player at one go, you should be able to see it often,

Next is the shields dropping has hardly any noticeable indicator. If taking your health is a good indicator, then the shield works to not inform the player it has deactivated which is largely a failure of technology in the first place.

Finally shields are basic, they lack design. This maybe the least important but it gives the games technology accent with which the shields indicates a primitive one.

The first 2 points overall is the most important as they serve to be both indicative and a pivotal role to game play flow.

I did,

If you read, First is the water marks creates a large blur which interrupts vision, example grakatas or multiple enemies firing off at the player at one go, you should be able to see it often,

Next is the shields dropping has hardly any noticeable indicator. If taking your health is a good indicator, then the shield works to not inform the player it has deactivated which is largely a failure of technology in the first place.

Finally shields are basic, they lack design. This maybe the least important but it gives the games technology accent with which the shields indicates a primitive one.

The first 2 points overall is the most important as they serve to be both indicative and a pivotal role to game play flow.

I think the shields dropping have a good visual indicator, with the borders of the screen becoming red and the blue outline on the frames indicating shields becoming red to indicate damage.

However, I can agree that a visual indicator of shields taking damage while not breaking could be as simple as adding screen interruption. As for the overall design, I believe it is fine. While you cite Halo as an example of visual shield design, it is largely the same as Warframe. It's a color that is draped over the form of the user, and gives a visual indicator when it breaks. The only difference is that there are screen indicators of these things happening.

I think the shields dropping have a good visual indicator, with the borders of the screen becoming red and the blue outline on the frames indicating shields becoming red to indicate damage.

However, I can agree that a visual indicator of shields taking damage while not breaking could be as simple as adding screen interruption. As for the overall design, I believe it is fine. While you cite Halo as an example of visual shield design, it is largely the same as Warframe. It's a color that is draped over the form of the user, and gives a visual indicator when it breaks. The only difference is that there are screen indicators of these things happening.

The problem is the shield dropping isn't even that reliable if you watch the video above. You would see the damage just bypassing the shield and before the body goes red, the red damage marker appears which downplays the usefulness of the existing indicator. So reliability is an issue which is to be address.

Also the second point you make, the overall summary of it, there is little originality for shields and well, seeing this reappear in a few games with shields, the sight becomes boring.