Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Permanently missable content? What to spend plat on?

NeonAbomination

Question

G day everyone. I very recently came back to warframe after a 2 year break (I only have like 100 hours in the game anyway), and am trying to get my bearings again, though I am concerned about something.

I recall the last time that I played the game, there was something I learned of regarding a pink cyst, which you could use in order to get a unique Kurbrow. However, each frame could only get this cyst once, and you could easily cure it forever. If you cured this cyst on every frame, then that meant you would never be able to get that unique Kurbrow, which is am example of permanently missable content.

I'm wondering if there is anything else like that in the game that I should avoid. I absolutely hate this sort of thing and want to avoid any instance of it.

Secondly, I bought a fair amount of plat a while back, and currently have 4000. I already have a bunch of slots for future frames and weapons and stuff, so what else should I spend this money on that I cannot get from grinding? I recall that there were certain discontinued helmets that gave you great benefits (arcane stuff or whatever), like far more speed for a slight power decrease. I figure these should be a priority in terms of what I should use the plat on, as they cannot be gotten in any other way. Is there anything else like this in the game? Stuff that I can only get from spending plat that is not, and will not be made available in any other way? Which arcane helmets (with extra stats) are the best ones to buy?

Also, what's the fastest way to the the currently required for me to change the skill set of the child thing? I wanna select the one that gives me extra armor passively but it says I need 50,000 of something to do it, and I don't know what.

Thanks for the advice.

Edited by NeonAbomination

12 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, NeonAbomination said:

If you cured this cyst on every frame, then that meant you would never be able to get that unique Kurbrow, which is am example of permanently missable content.

Get a new frame? Like the ones from the Dojo are really easy to craft a second copy of

but it says I need 50,000 of something to do it, and I don't know what.

Inb4 long text from my guide:

Spoiler

The Focus System

At the end of the Quest "The Second Dream" you unlock the Focus System (the choice you pick determines your first Focus school) 
focusschool.jpg

You can now also use Transcedence after the circle in the lower right of your HUD is completely filled 
focus.jpg 

If you use the designated Button ("5" on Keyboard or LB + RB on Controller) your Operator will leave the Frame and automatically shoots a strong laser for 10 seconds. Then your Operator returns into your Frame and you have to wait 180 seconds until the circle is filled again. 
focus2.jpg 

If you continue the Story and finish the Quest "The War Within" you unlock Transference which lets you play as Operator permanently without any Cooldowns! 

Now let's talk about the Focus System itself: 

You can either choose the Operator Settings from the Esc Menu or if you walk into the back room of your Orbiter where your Operator "lives". 
After choosing "Focus" you'll see all five Focus Schools. 
focus1.jpg

When you go to this screen the first time you only will have one school active (the one you chose in "The Second Dream"). No worries! You can see I have all five schools unlocked and so can you but this will be explained a little bit later. 

The five schools surround the "Focus Pool". This is like your Capacity on Frames/Weapons/Companions. The higher your Pool is, the more Skills you can "equip" (like Mods). You can use Focus from any school you want to increase it - just mark the school you want to use Focus from as Primary and click on "increase". Every time you increase the Pool, the more expensive it will become. 

Next let's get a little overview of each school:
  • Madurai: Offensive oriented to increase your damage
  • Naramon: This school is focused on Melee and Agility
  • Unairu: Offense supporting school
  • Vazarin: Defense supporting school
  • Zenurik: Focusing on your energy maintenance

In each school there are three different types of Skills: "actives", "passives" and "way-bound passives"! 
Active Skills only take effect after you use a certain Ability (Void Dash, Blast or using Void Mode). Passive Skills are always "turned on" as long as you picked the school as Primary, while way-bound passives can be unlocked to be used in anySchool. 

Before we dive into each school and see what Skills are useful, we take a look at how to get new schools: 

In theory it is real simple. You earn Focus with a new school and "buy" (unlock) the school. 

For this you need to get Focus Lenses which convert Affinity into Focus. These lenses come in three different forms:

• Normal Lenses are obtained by doing Bounties for Konzu or Eudico. Just pay attention which Lenses are in the current rotation. You can also trade for them.
  • Greater Lenses cannot be traded. You have to either buy them for 40p from the Market or by crafting them which requires 4 Normal Lenses of the same school.
  • Eidolon Lenses can be traded and crafted.

You go to your Upgrade screen (Frame or Weapon) and hit the "Actions" Button 
f22.jpg 

Click on the most right option 
f23.jpg 

and select the Lens you want to use: 
f24.jpg 

To make the correct decision, you have to understand how Lenses work! 

Focus can only be obtained from Equipment which is max Rank. The lenses only differ in values. Normal lenses convert 1.25% of Affinity into Focus, Greater lenses convert 1.75% and Eidolon lenses convert 2.25%. 

Here's a list of how effective each lens on each equipment can/will be:f26.jpg

PLEASE NOT THAT "ALLY KILL" MEANS YOU ONLY HAVE ONE WEAPON WITH SAID LENS EQUIPPED. DISTRIBUTION IS AFFECTED BY AFFINITYSHARING

So to not waste any lenses choose the method you like most:
  • Do you want to kill enemies with your Frame put the first lens on your DPS Frame (e.g. Saryn)
  • If you are going to use Weapons put the lens on your weapon of choice

As long as you have at least one maxed Item with an equipped lens in your Loadout you occasionally see those yellow "balls" on any map: 
f25.png 

After you "collect" one of them you gain 16-times the Focus you usually would get for 45 seconds... so make these seconds count! 

Keep in mind that you have a Daily Limit of 250,000 + (5,000 * your MR) which resets with the server at 12AM UTC. 
f25.jpg 

Now you know how to get Focus! 

Back to the screen of our five schools 
focus1.jpg 

If you managed to get 50,000 Focus for any school you can unlock this school. You can only use one school with its active and passive Skills - all other schools will be secondary. 

If you want to be some all-round Tenno, these are the most important Skills you should choose from each school: 

Madurai: 
f2.jpg f3.jpg f6.jpg 
f5.jpg f4.jpg 

Phoenix Spirit and Phoenix Talons are passive Skills and Void Strike is an active Skill and only available if Madurai is your Primary school 
Eternal Gaze and Inner Gaze are way-bound passives which can also be used in different schools after being unbound. 

Naramon: 
f20.jpg f21.jpg 
f18.jpg f19.jpg 

Affinity Spike and Power Spike are passive Skills and only available if Naramon is your Primary school 
Mind Sprint and Mind Step are way-bound passives which can also be used in different schools after being unbound. 

Unairu: 
f10.jpg f9.jpg 
f7.jpg f8.jpg 

Stone Skin is a passive Skill and Unairu Wisp is an active Skill and only available if Unairu is your Primary school 
Basilisk Gaze and Basilisk Scales are way-bound passives which can also be used in different schools after being unbound. 

Vazarin: 
f11.jpg f12.jpg 

Rejuvenating Tides and Enduring Tides are way-bound passives which can also be used in different schools after being unbound. 

Zenurik: 
f15.jpg f17.jpg f16.jpg 
f13.jpg f14.jpg 

Energy Pulse and Inner Might are passive Skills and Energizing Dash is an active Skill and only available if Zenurik is your Primary school 
Void Flow and Void Siphon are way-bound passives which can also be used in different schools after being unbound. 

What's the difference between "passives" and "way-bound passives"? 

Let's take Zenurik as our Example: 

Like already said "passives" can only be used if you haven chosen its school as Primary. So you need to have Zenurik as your Primary school to make use of Energy Pulse and Inner Might. 
Void Flow and Void Siphon are essentially the same with one exception: If you can gather 1,000,000 Focus (yes, one million!) and a Brilliant Eidolon Shard from Eidolon Hunting you can unbind one of the two (then marked as unbound). 

For our example we pick Void Siphon. Its costs are 11 Pool Points. You can now pick this Skill as passive in any school which has at least 11 Pool Points available: 
f27.jpg

There are several types of Shards which can be converted as Focus for your selected school. Just choose the one you want to add some Focus into, click on "Focus Conversion" and pick the number of shards you want to convert. 
f28.jpg

Converting Focus from shards is not affected by your Daily Limit so you can, in theory, get millions of Focus immediately.

Edited by GnarlsDarkley

If you cured this cyst on every frame, then that meant you would never be able to get that unique Kurbrow, which is am example of permanently missable content.

that is never really true, since new frames are constantly being released and you can just craft some cheap old frame if you REALLY need the cyst RIGHT NOW.

usually it's only worth spending plat on warframe slots. now even weapon slots can be gained in good numbers from login and nightwave. I am not sure Arcane Helmets are even a thing now, the game has moved past them so hard I don't even know if anyone still cares. especially since "Fashionframe is Endgame" is a very true statement 😉

Edited by Rawbeard

36 minutes ago, NeonAbomination said:

I recall the last time that I played the game, there was something I learned of regarding a pink cyst, which you could use in order to get a unique Kurbrow. However, each frame could only get this cyst once, and you could easily cure it forever. If you cured this cyst on every frame, then that meant you would never be able to get that unique Kurbrow, which is am example of permanently missable content.

You can't cure Nidus.

Arcane helmets aren't a thing anymore (the helmets still exist for those who had them and I think they are tradeable but you can't get them from the game anymore). Arcanes are now attached to Warframes. You get arcanes from fighting the eidolons. Arcanes are tradeable.

Fashion frame is pretty much the stuff that you can only get with plat and will not be made available any other way.

Skill set of child thing is all about focus. You need focus lenses on your equipment to convert affinity into focus. It's an incredibly slow process although there are a few ways of "speeding it up" if you are dedicated to it (google focus farming). You get basic lenses from bounties (or trade). You can craft lenses into greater lenses for better focus gain (or you can buy greater lenses from the market for plat, you cannot trade greater lenses). There's also eidolon lenses which are better than greater lenses and the blueprints drop from eidolons (I think) but not sure about if you can trade them or not.

Edit:- Just to add that there's eidolon shards that can be converted into focus too.

Pinch of salt required cos any of that could be slightly wrong (apart from Nidus).

Edited by (PS4)drpunk-yo

35 minutes ago, NeonAbomination said:

If you cured this cyst on every frame, then that meant you would never be able to get that unique Kurbrow, which is am example of permanently missable content

"Permanently" as in "DE releases about six new Warframes per year, which gives you on average one new cyst every two months"?

There is no "permanently missable" content, except some cosmetics (which are given for participation and such, so it's fair enough). There are things you can sell and not be able to acquire again, so... don't go around selling your Umbra mods.

4 minutes ago, NeonAbomination said:

If you want the Kubrow that badly you can simply build a new Warframe and let it get infected....

Mag is a good candidate for this because the boss that drops her parts can be one shotted with ease (if you use The Right Weapon)...

6 minutes ago, NeonAbomination said:

I'm wondering if there is anything else like that in the game that I should avoid. I absolutely hate this sort of thing and want to avoid any instance of it.

I can't think of any examples that are as bad as the one you describe.... as long as you don't get rid of anything you got from a Quest then you should be fine....

The only permanently missable stuff is the obvious things such as the Events and Night wave stuff.

9 minutes ago, NeonAbomination said:

Secondly, I bought a fair amount of plat a while back, and currently have 4000. I already have a bunch of slots for future frames and weapons and stuff, so what else should I spend this money on that I cannot get from grinding? I recall that there were certain discontinued helmets that gave you great benefits (arcane stuff or whatever), like far more speed for a slight power decrease. I figure these should be a priority in terms of what I should use the plat on, as they cannot be gotten in any other way. Is there anything else like this in the game? Stuff that I can only get from spending plat that is not, and will not be made available in any other way?

Probably.... 

But I have no clue what it could be....

10 minutes ago, NeonAbomination said:

Also, what's the fastest way to the the currently required for me to change the skill set of the child thing? I wanna select the one that gives me extra armor passively but it says I need 50,000 of something to do it, and I don't know what.

You need 50 000 Focus in the way of Unairu to unlock That Focus node....

The only way to unlock that school is to aquire a Focus Lense for that specific School and then slapping it on a piece if equipment that you know is going to gain alot of Affinity (like a Warframe that can get lots of Kills) 

After that... you can keep using that Focus Lense to try and get the Armor that way.... 

Oooooooooor....

You can use Brilliant/Radiant Eidolon Shards that you get from Capturing Eidolons.... these can be converted into Focus inside any school that you have unlocked....

Just know that Eidolons are a pain in the ass to capture unless you use Specific Equipment....

Oh BTW.... forgot to mention....

Magus Husk is an Arcane For your Operator that will increase your Operator's Armor by 100.... this... can then be Double by Basilisk's Scales (the Focus node that I increases Operator Armor by 200%)

And some how this gives your Operator 750 Armor in total ? That can't be right....

Anyway.... that's the basics....

Need to know anything more specific ? 

Well, most of the 'permanently missable things' are event related and not tradable once ranked up, so the likelyhood of you finding someone to trade them too you is small. But if you want to, id see which one of the Vandal and Wraith and such weapons are tradable, which ones where form an event, and then go for those. (though they will likely release the weapons for future events later or put it into a normal loot table like invasions, but still.)

Other content that sort of fits your bill is Vaulted primes, so if you want a prime that is in the vault, you might want to buy it for the purpose that you cant get it tell they rotate out of the vault again. 

Arcane helmets are becoming increasingly irrelevant, as they are on older less useful frames to begin with, or give marginal stats, so running them is only a ego thing. If you do want to go for them though, one, you can probably only get like two or three at the most with that amount of plat (they are in increasingly dwindling supply as people that have them keep them and people that sell them run out of there extra's), but Id go for either Trinity's Aura helmet (gives 25% duration, which is pretty dang good), the ones that give power strength (Volts Storm, Frost's Squal) or which ever one of loki's you like (one gives 25% range, the other 15% efficiency). I can't remember the name of it, but there's a Nyx helmet that gives Efficiency as well, as well as a Banshee ones. These can be useful as they allow you to run just a maxed Fleeting plus the helmet to max out efficiency on them. But as you can see these are all on very old frames, that aren't really 'meta' any more outside of Trinity, so again, up to you if you want to try and find people that are selling them.

Other than this stuff, everything else is still in the game somewhere and able to be obtained. You might see various cosmetic items that where part of past events, but that will be about it. Just by some great fashion, got a lot of pretty great delux skins to really bring out the cooolness in your fav frame!

3 hours ago, NeonAbomination said:

It's not really permanently missable. If you cure all your frames, just get a new frame. There are other examples of content that is not obtainable currently, but you can't get them with Platinum either, which seems to be the crux of your question.

3 hours ago, NeonAbomination said:

I recall that there were certain discontinued helmets that gave you great benefits (arcane stuff or whatever), like far more speed for a slight power decrease. I figure these should be a priority in terms of what I should use the plat on, as they cannot be gotten in any other way. Is there anything else like this in the game?

The arcane helmets are really the only things like you're describing. Many of them have high platinum prices. You can find a list of all the arcane helmets on the wiki. Most of them aren't very useful. They're mostly novelty items. But I do have a Volt helmet that increases power strength, so that's cool. There's also a mod, Primed Chamber, that isn't obtainable. They give out a few as stream rewards every now and then, so there's less than 200 copies of it in the game. These are abhorrently expensive, and the mod is of little value. I wouldn't go for it.

3 hours ago, (PS4)drpunk-yo said:

You can't cure Nidus.

You can cure Nidus. My Nidus hasn't had the cyst in years. Nidus is notable for being able to open the Helminth Infirmary without the cyst, though. You still need a fully-grown cyst to drain into a new Helminth Charger, but you can just get a new frame and infect it.

3 hours ago, Lutesque said:

as long as you don't get rid of anything you got from a Quest then you should be fine

Even if you sell something from a quest, Cephalon Simaris lets you buy them back now.

Everyone already talked about the cyst, so...

The only missables in the game are probably cosmetics from events, since even prime accessories can return some day. The down side it that it might take literal years until said items return.

I hope you used a -75% discount coupon to buy that plat, bc it's really not a lot in the PC market.

Those arcane helmets you mentioned, for the most part, are really old, not great at all and irrelevant. Unless you're trying to build up a collection, they are just a waste of plat. And there really isn't any item of the sorts in the game at the moment that is about to leave. You can just take your time to grind for everything.

Really, there isn't anything about leave the game forever and that you need buy asap. DE doesn't seem to do that anymore.

Complete your quests, use that plat to get some more slots, maybe some endo, some prime frame/weapon that isn't available and you really want, and some cosmetics.

Edited by (PS4)Quantaminum

nothing in Warframe is really something that you "can't get again in the future". the closest would be things that are able to be obtained infrequently. though you don't actually need any of those things, so.
Arcane Helmets are a pretty niche thing, as you'll be choosing between what passive Stat benefit it offers or Equipping another Arcane instead. in a lot of cases, you'd prefer to have the Arcane. while there may be a few that you'd opt for the passive Stat, they are far from the majority and should be considered an 'endgame' thing that you decide to use based on just wanting to change things up, far more than an item that is important to have.
(Primed Chamber is a Mod that is only useful on one Gun, and not even greatly useful without another item that takes a lot of luck to get and ergo is extremely rare. this Mod is not very relevant)

if you would like to do more things or change things with Focus, the course of action is to go get a bunch of Focus Lenses. you can find these in the Earth Landscape Bounties, across the various Reward rotations. while you're at it get a handful of all of them, as you'll definitely want more than one.
then uh, stick Focus Lenses of your liking on Equipment that you use a lot. ideally Equipment that you get a lot of Kills with, but.... ultimately Equipment that you do use is a more useful place than Equipment than you don't, so that's the most important thing.
when you complete The War Within (if you haven't already), Focus will change quite significantly so you may prefer to not get too deeply involved until after finishing that Quest. since your choices will look quite different then.

3 hours ago, Lutesque said:

Just know that Eidolons are a pain in the ass to capture unless you use Specific Equipment....

please stop lying to people that ask questions. or giving them information that tells them whether you like or don't like a piece of content, rather than just describing things and letting them decide if they like it.

Edited by taiiat