Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grendel Discussion and Feedback

MisterCheshire

Anyone have any thoughts on what Grendel’s abilities will be? Past the ability to eat bullets, shields and enemies, I haven’t heard much.

i did notice that in the concept art, that one of the frames was slightly larger than the others. One of the abilities might be a “burst” ability where Grendel releases all the energy that it’s eaten. As such, the frame might grow or shrink depending on how much they’ve eaten.

--------------------------

Update:

Devstream Overview: https://www.warframe.com/news/devstream-130-overview

GRENDEL
On Devstream 129 we learned about Gauss, now it’s time to learn about his BFF: Grendel! Unfortunately these two will not be shipping together as we previously had hoped, but don’t worry -- they’re still best buds!

Passive: The more enemies you eat, the more armor you have.

Ability One - Feast:

Spoiler

Swallow an enemy whole and store it in Grendel’s gut. Not satisfied? Keep eating, but beware, each foe in Grendel’s belly slowly consumes energy.

Any damage dealt to you is also dealt to your stomach buddies.

Ability Two - Nourish:

Spoiler

Consume the enemies in Grendel’s gut and nourish nearby squad members with a radial buff.

There are three buffs: an Energy booster (increases the amount of energy you get from energy pickups), a Toxic AOE triggered upon taking damage, and an Armor buff

Ability Three - Regurgitate:

Spoiler

Violently puke out a bile soaked enemy from Grendel’s gut, turning the unfortunate creature into a toxic projectile.

Ability Four - Meatball:

Spoiler

Engorged from feeding, Grendel curls into a ball and rolls over anything in his path. Flattened enemies are consumed causing Grendel to grow even larger.

The more foes in your belly, the bigger you get!

Don’t let your energy run out while in meatball mode or you will suffer a penalty!

8 minutes ago, MisterCheshire said:

i did notice that in the concept art, that one of the frames was slightly larger than the others

I took a screen cap of every picture that they showed, I don't see anything like that

1 hour ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

I took a screen cap of every picture that they showed, I don't see anything like that

It’s not a giant difference, and it may have been simply a different angle. The forward facing Grendels seem to be slightly different.concept-art-futur-warframe-image.jpg

Edited by MisterCheshire

24 minutes ago, MisterCheshire said:

It’s not a giant difference, and it may have been simply a different angle. The forward facing Grendels seem to be slightly different.concept-art-futur-warframe-image.jpg

It's just an alternate helmet.

1 hour ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

Grendel is the same size of Rhino. But with a belly. He's not huge.

27 minutes ago, MisterCheshire said:

The grendel to far right is definitely fatter than the other forward facing one 

Oh boy, a while ago I did post some fan concepts, for a fatso butcher frame, and an Aku Thing assimilation frame, and Grendel almost seems like a combo between the two. I'm hoping he's super fun. Bonus points if his fatness scales to power strength or something

Edited by (XB1)aMichealMeyers
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MisterCheshire said:

It’s not a giant difference, and it may have been simply a different angle. The forward facing Grendels seem to be slightly different.

11 hours ago, WARmaro said:

The grendel to far right is definitely fatter than the other forward facing one 

Spoiler

Untitled.png

I did an half-assed montage, & they are the same size, the only difference is that the left one is slightly turned to the left

Edited by Xenox_Ilz-ot
  • Like 1

Since they decided on the name Grendel along with the old concept idea of the japanese man eating thingy aswell as the placeholder name that was Glutton I'd suspect it will definently be themed around consuming things in general. Grendel has always been the man eating beast, either depicted as a savage humanoid without specifics, a bipedal dragon or your classic germanic/scandic troll. Even in The 13th Warrior, which is a more realistic take on the Beowulf saga, set somewhere in the region of Trelleborg in skåne/sweden shows the "grendel" to simply be a tribe of cannibalistic savages worshipping the great mother/womb.

I guess the outcome depends how much they wanna implement from either inspiration. If it was a pure Grendel based frame I'd say he would be massively durable, have the ability to eat enemies and use some ability to utilize the power of the consumed. Reason for this is because Grendel is supposed to be impenetrable by weapons aswell as following much of ancient cannibalistic lore, like getting the powers of those you eat. What kills Grendel in the story is Beowulf ripping the arm from his socket with his bare hands, leading the beast to flee back to his home and bleed out at its mothers side.

On 2019-07-23 at 12:23 PM, (PS4)HiLdRyN_Ext_ThiC said:

He was Way bigger but DE said they slimed him down alot for some reason . He waz bigger then hildryn 

We only saw concepts for him. Now that he have a model ingame. OFC DE saw problems with his size. Probably using him alone or with armor was enough to block a huge portion of player's view. So they reduced his size

I mean, DE already said Rhino is on the limits of size with that skeleton. My Rhino eats half of the screen while aiming with my Latron.

Edited by -OP-NerevarCM

13 minutes ago, -OP-NerevarCM said:

We only saw concepts for him. Now that he have a model ingame. OFC DE saw problems with his size. Probably using him alone or with armor was enough to block a huge portion of player's view. So they reduced his size

I mean, DE already said Rhino is on the limits of size with that skeleton. My Rhino eats half of the screen while aiming with my Latron.

And Chroma's Dynasty skin needed it's shoulder spike to evaporate every time you zoomed in or were in a menu.

17 hours ago, -OP-NerevarCM said:

It'st Hildryn bigger thoe ?

The model with the alt helmet is definitely fatter. I used a measurement tool in a paint program, and the base model is 172x2 across his midsection, 150x4 across the base of his chest, and 200x4 at his hips. The alt helm's model is 204x16 midsection, 190x2 base of his chest, and 212x14 for his hips. You can also see the jagged "mouth" on his stomach is more pronounced on the alt model, and the white line marking the end of his belly/mouth (below the armpit)is a small, yet noticeable, patch of material pushed out. I doubt this is an angle issue, since both are standing in the same position.

• 3 weeks later...

IDK if its just me but I'm certainly feeling a little annoyed that I'm having to wait for Grendel, just to be able to play Gauss (when he looked done - almost a month ago). Maybe its the fact nightwave is finally starting to feel like a chore again. But waiting for Gauss is quite an annoyance right now.

1 minute ago, -_Momo_- said:

IDK if its just me but I'm certainly feeling a little annoyed that I'm having to wait for Grendel, just to be able to play Gauss (when he looked done - almost a month ago). Maybe its the fact nightwave is finally starting to feel like a chore again. But waiting for Gauss is quite an annoyance right now.

I guess you'll find out this Friday. 

Till then, SoonTM. 

2 minutes ago, sleepychewbacca said:

I guess you'll find out this Friday. 

Till then, SoonTM. 

Cheers sleepy, might install some hope :) but considering it says sneak peak, Grendel looks like September :C

Edited by -_Momo_-

3 minutes ago, -_Momo_- said:

WhirlwindOldfashionedBergerpicard-max-1mngvZTK.gif