Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grendel Discussion and Feedback

MisterCheshire

4 hours ago, 844448 said:

He's not a sumo wrestler though, he's based around kirby ability to consume and gain power or spit them away as deadly projectiles

4 hours ago, TheRealShade said:

This is the first time I hear someone say Grendel is based of sumo wrestlers. He's not, he's more based around Gluttony, hell, Scott called him a Kirby frame.

When he was first revealed at tennocon, He was performing "Chiri-Chozu", which is a prematch ritual the sumo wrestlers conduct  to who they do not possess any hidden weapons (On top of that, it is a fairly well known sumo pose in media).

Also, When he uses his second ability, he literally stomps the ground which looks very similar to "shiko", which is another part of rituals that sumo wrestlers perform at their match. 

It may not have been the only motive to designing Grendel, but it was still a fair amount of chunk. "Chiri-Chozu" is something that looks so unique that you can't really relate it with anything else, unless they were originally inspired by "Chiri-Chozu" to begin with.

9 hours ago, TheRealShade said:

This is the first time I hear someone say Grendel is based of sumo wrestlers. He's not, he's more based around Gluttony, hell, Scott called him a Kirby frame.

Exactly. They said it even before they showed him and people keep repeating that the ball is out of place.

Heck the ball is one of the few new things I got excited for in a while. Even if it might be impractical in small corridors. I still want to try it. Cos it looks like it will be a new mechanic or way of moving that we haven't gotten before.

And if he's getting any Sumo moveset instead, which is mostly tackling and grappling into each other, that's just melee combat.... Which translates to Exalted Melee or pseudo-exalted melee (like Atlas and Khora 1). Which is... boring. Just enough already. I use exalted melee quite a bit (Wukong mostly these days) but I don't need or care or want to see yet another exalted melee. Especially NOT after I see the ball... When I've seen there's potential for a new way to play the game, and then the devs somehow backtrack and accede to complainers and just give Grendel a slow punching/tackling exalted moveset, which probably will be outclassed by an older frame - Wukong, then what's the point? SKIP. 

Edited by Xepthrichros

Pretty much what everyone else has said. His theme really has nothing to do with sumo. Maybe they used it for inspiration for his Noble or Agile animations, but none of his abilities have anything to do with sumo wrestling or the like.

Not sure why Grendel or to an extent DE can't reference sumo culture through his animations, while the frame in total is more of a reference to Kirby and different types of Oni interpretations.

In fact, your suggestion seems like it would be better to be fitted for a melee-based frame, rather than what Grendel seems right now.

Edited by Scruffel

2 hours ago, (PS4)Ozymandias-13- said:

He's not sumo.

He's based on the creature, Grendel, from Beowulf. A horrible beast that went on murderous rampages, devouring all of the bodies of the men it kills, and is surprisingly agile for its size. 

Ah i see. Well i guess i learned something new. 

2 minutes ago, Scruffel said:

Not sure why Grendel or to an extent DE can't reference sumo culture through his animations, while the frame in total is more of a reference to Kirby and different types of Oni interpretations.

In fact, your suggestion seems like it would be better to be fitted for a melee-based frame, rather than what Grendel seems right now.

Yeah i guess.

But my suggestion isnt melee, it looks like melee but is not. Since the rings pushes enemies away, keeping them out of melee range. 

Anyway, i was really hyped when DE revealed his teaser. Since i got into watching sumo first as a joke then really began learning how intense and awesome it is at the time. Then the reveal just disappointed me a lot, i guess.

Seems like a lot of people are into the ball ability so I'll just have to wait and see. Because im still gonna use him till he wears off when he drops.

1 minute ago, IDKismyname said:

Yeah i guess.

But my suggestion isnt melee, it looks like melee but is not. Since the rings pushes enemies away, keeping them out of melee range. 

Well, wouldn't that then go against what Grendel seems to benefit from, having enemies close to him? His 1 is sucking enemies into his belly while also being able to barf them out with some Toxin (should be Corrosive cause stomach acid but whatever), so it would seem like a close-range utility tool. I know it's a reference to the sumo fighting, but it doesn't seem to provide much for Grendel besides situational CC.

On 2019-09-03 at 9:40 AM, IDKismyname said:

When he was first revealed at tennocon, He was performing "Chiri-Chozu",

This is a fair point until you remember that animations and visuals don’t always equate to the actual function. Take Valkyr as an example, she is most definitely the Berserker frame, all of her functions have a base in that mythos, but because she’s slim and has claws a lot of her visual theme gives her a cat-like look. Her animations include paw-like hand movements, and even her alt-helmets are things like the ‘Bastette’ which is based off the Egyptian cat goddess.

Zephyr is another good one, as all of her abilities are Air Casting, elemental based, but her visual theme is bird-like with beaks and feathers being prominent.

The Oni, which Grendel is themed for, consuming enemies and growing more powerful, able to transform in weird ways to pursue or escape as needed, and able to spread toxins if the enemy survives being ‘eaten’. These come from Asian folklore and the ones that had the body for it would, in many stories and stage plays, perform actions like a sumo to show their power and unstoppable nature. The stances and movement from sumo also do apply outside of it, since they share many of the principles of Asian martial arts (I mean, how couldn’t they?)

Basically it does all fit together, the function and the form is all quite deliberately themed to take advantage of the mythos he’s based in.

• Like 2

Warframe Grendel

These are my suggestions and thoughts on Grendel

Also why is Feast and Regurgitate 2 separate abilities.  In my opinion they should be one ability and function that if you hold down your one button Feast on your enemies and pickups.

·         Once you've consumed enemies tap your one button to release the enemies that Grendel has consumed (Regurgitated enemies should deal 40% damage “scale” based on the enemy’s health, while dealing an explosive viral or toxic damage)

Now that two abilities function as one there is still an empty slot.  My proposal to fill the now empty slot would need Grendel to open his mouth with a tongue inside. But this won't be for style as it will have a function, the ability will be named Lick.  Lick will allow Grendel to open his mouth an release a large tongue from his mouth. 

·         This ability could behave in almost the same way to Cora's first ability, but it will be gas damage base instead of puncture.  With this ability Grendel will extend his tongue at an enemy within 12 meters covering an enemy in slime.  Causing them to stop and/or slowdown dealing toxic damage over time.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2019-10-09 at 4:20 AM, DLOArceus said:

Maybe it's just me but since they've shown his kit i always thought that his 3 should be his 2 and vice-versa. It doesn't really make much sense that when you level it the only way to delete stored enemies is consuming them, in my opinion.

His 1 can be held down to vomit all enemies you ate out in front of you with Toxin damage dealt to them. His 3 just launches 1 of the enemies you ate far away doing damage.

So really he has 3 ways to delete enemies from his stomach.