Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grendel Discussion and Feedback

MisterCheshire

2 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

Density of fat tissue: 0.94g/cm³

Density of muscle tissue: 1.05 g/cm³

People tend to exaggerate. It's not so much of a difference that it really matters.

the 1.1g*cm^-3 difference across the 1g*cm^-3 threshold is the difference between floating and drowning.

• Like 2

I was honestly they would be more creative. Sure eating and launching enemies is fun, but just seemed too obvious. I was expecting more along the lines of consume enemies for strength and energy, somewhat similar too Nidus, instead of that, we lose energy from trying to eat too many enemies. Maybe instead of draining energy, we use one enemy per cast, and consume them with our Infinity Stomach? And Meatball? Why do we want to be a ball that would probably get kicked all over the place by other frames? Is that the synergy with Gauss? Overall, the frame seems to much "for fun" and too much of a joke. I was hoping for something more Oni like, not cheap Kirby.

His signature melee weapon better have a decent bonus when he uses it.

Grendel to me seems really goofy (in a good way), and I appreciate DE trying something new. It's just a character in a game though.

2 minutes ago, Orokinfolk said:

Also worth noting I posted this on Reddit as well and I'm getting ripped apart. Glad the official forums are less hostile.

I saw the Reddit post and I would just say people are giving more responses that are just realistic and not trying to be rude or hostile.

Well, the way I see this is as follows:

• Do I think his kit could've been made better? Absolutely, I'd argue his 1 and 3 could be put together, that on itself is a huge bonus and enables for yet another ability. Maybe make him spawn mouths from the ground that will heal nearby allies in a very short radius, or a longer radius but a target cap (although Rhino Stomp exists).
  • Is his kit offensive, damaging stereotype wise? I don't think so, not at all. His kit really reminds you of basically Kirby in warframe combined with a Rathuum roller, which I think is great but LOOKS lackluster, I'm not complaining either way, it's creative and something new.
  • Eating isn't exactly a stereotype of fat people, it's a fact. Those that cannot avoid getting fatter are actually a minority in the group, most CAN and SHOULD avoid reaching overweight or obesity. I think you're taking this too personally, and it's just a videogame character and people being people, because you cannot avoid someone making jokes, especially on the internet. Remember: Offense is taken, not given.
14 minutes ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

Am I the only person who has noticed that the effects of his 1st looks like "I don't feel good Mr.Stark"

There's a dwarf Thanos with an infinity gauntlet inside his belly.

8 minutes ago, TaurusDeRoma said:

His signature melee weapon better have a decent bonus when he uses it.

I'd honestly love to see either a blast radius increase, or a throw mechanic that would consume enemies on kill, making the melee stronger.

Edited by Bloop

12 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

Don’t like him? Don’t play him, simple as that.

Then again you are likely trolling so I won’t respond further.

I hope DE keeps “Grendel’s Space Program” with his 3 when he goes live.

Oh, I am dead serious.

I won't play him. But that doesn't change the fact that I don't see any reason for this guy to exist.

They literally said he would be the devourer frame. That he was going to eat enemies. This has been known since day one of his reveal.

And only a few of his abilites should be revised. He kind of lacks some diversity outside of just eating and throwing up. And I’d like to see more done with his theme by the time we see him again.

Just now, IceColdHawk said:

I hope you're aware that this is nothing more but a fictional video game figure, right?

Yes but im pointing out it maybe offensive to some hence the other post.

6 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

They literally said he would be the devourer frame. That he was going to eat enemies. This has been known since day one of his reveal.

i may have missed that part   

Your own self-confidence issues are causing you to see the cosmetic negatives of Grendel far more than the positives. Warframes are meant to be easily distinguishable and have gimmicks. Other games with large casts make their characters have different voices or make them different races and species.They usually have a theme like "Cowboy" or "Scientist". But everybody in Warframe is just a android/robot person with a modern-art-esque vibe which is barely tied to real life concepts. So when I say "the fat guy who eats people" and you know exactly who I'm talking about, that's actually an accomplishment. Not a single warframe has ever been some real-life empowering figure. Equinox could have been a trans icon in the game. Nezha could have been a gay icon. Hildryn could have been a lesbian icon. Actually, they try very hard to make you not associate the frames with those concepts. Because warframes aren't people, they are just parodies of a single concept. Instead, they make the characters play to their barely existent "personalities". Equinox is Equinox. Nezha is Nezha. Hildryn is Hildryn. And Grendel is Grendel. The big fat monster who eats people. You =/= Grendel. If you happen to be fat in real life, cool. But you're not eating people. You're just a normal person living their life like the rest of us. Let Grendel be a parody of a fat monster that eats things. If you feel empowered playing a fat frame, then cool. If someone makes fun of you for playing a fat frame, then they are actually more insecure than you are because they are literally bothered enough by 1s and 0s to insult the actual human behind them. Let them be miserable idiots and keep on having fun playing the fat monster that eats people. Fat haters let fat people live rent free in their head everyday. Don't let them live in yours.

Let me say one more time. You aren't Grendel. You aren't the fat people the media makes fun of. You aren't the butt of anybodies joke. You are another person trying to live their life the best that they can. I really hope that you're able to gain the self confidence that you deserve. If you don't feel comfortable playing a character like Grendel in his current state, I perfectly understand. But I hope one day you stop seeing yourself in these media caricatures of fat people, and start seeing them as silly jokes, many times cosigned by fat people themselves.

3 hours ago, Umbriellan said:

Me too, I hoped for somekind of "Sumo ability" ; just like Atlas got the Box-punch & Baruuk the martial art.

Another exalted melee.... BORING. Hard pass.

(I like exalted melee, but I don't want ANOTHER ONE)

Current eating mechanic is much superior. 

Edited by Xepthrichros

il y a 51 minutes, Xepthrichros a dit :

Another exalted melee....

I wonder where you read the work "exalted" in my post ; I find that an ability that you could link to a martial art would have been better than the current 3rd ability.

To put in simple words: I wanted something like Wyzen (Asura's wrath), or Smough the Executionner (Dark Souls), instead of Gluttony (FMA), or Kirby.

-but now that's already done, we only have to wait & test it to see how well this warframe will insert itself in the solo/squad gameplay.

Edited by Umbriellan

6 hours ago, Haranthus said:

I don't like it ... frankly it ticks me off... 

So ... instead of the awesome Oni theme that was suggested a few months ago ... you made him a walking fat joke about eating, puking, farting and rolling ...

Wow ... great ... so much for the positivism shown around Hildryn.  Heavy guys can't get the same respect?  I mean the devs just laughed at him the whole time he was being shown

Eh, both me and my GF are excited for Grendel and are planning on buying him immediately with plat. As well as being the only real heavy-set frame, his move set seems rather interesting to the both of us.

While i do agree that the chat was a bit rude during Grendel's demo, DE made sure that grendel wasn't any more or less effective than his team-mates. He's as agile and strong as Frost, Rhyno, Hildren, or any other frame. He's essentially a Kirby-frame! and his move-set isn't nearly as gross are you're making it out to be. 

His munch ability has him moreso consuming people via cloud.

The vomit ability is simply a enemy based projectile.

The consume ability allows for a variety of different defenses.

His roll ability also sees him morphing into a sonic/metroid style morph ball, rather then he himself rolling around. 

I don't really see Grendel as an insult to fat folks as it's being made out to be. Does he use a few stereotypes? Yeah, he's rather eat-centric but I find the character charming. 

I have a few concerns about Grendel.

His ability 3 (shoot one enemy without aditional effect) is in my opinion kind of pointless, while holding 1 (release all eaten enemies with toxin effect) and ability 2 (out of specific Eaten enemies get specific buffs)have better uses of dealing with eaten enemies.

If his passiv is just this 60%armor buff for kinda 8seconds after he has eaten an enemy also not that awesome. But at this point i could be wrong and also its just a passiv.

I also wonder can he really kill with his 2 any enemy regardless of lifepoints and armor (like an insta kill). My question here is, is it than spammable or do you have to wait till buff went out and could you than workaround it with very low duration. if this is energy wise managable this seems kinda broken.

But still my biggest concern is his troll potential. Eat an enemy and never release it, would troll hard in defens. (The enegy drain could be worked around with pizzas and that would result in endless duration (Nidus and Garuda have at least a duration were you get a small window to kill the enemy) and we have no way to dmg not even with abilities like when Limbo banishes enemies. Also its not like revents Minions that when he convert them wave ends, because if Grendel eats them they are still alive). But yeah this only important if you get in a mission with someone who wants to troll.

Is it just me and do I have to big concerns where everything is just fine or do I have at least some justified concerns?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EdDiesel said:

Couldn't Feast 1 and Regurgitate 3 be one skill? Press/hold 1 to Feast and press/release 1 to Regurgitate? Could open up ability 3 for something else.

I see this suggestion a lot and I can't say I particularly agree.  His 1 is sort of a dual function.  You can suck up a lot of enemies to quickly have a lot of armor in a high tension situation.  Or you can quickly suck up a group and then dump them at your feat for some quick/cheap ccing.  His 3 looks to weaponize what he's eaten.  Similar functionalities.  Different purposes.  I can say that I agree that his 3 sounds a bit light in terms of useage as does his 4.  But that doesn't mean that's an issue.

But I don't think rolling both the vomit and eat abilities into the same ability in favor of making a whole brand new ability is really needed.  His shtick after all is literally eating and shooting enemies out.  the consuming for buffs is that little extra fluff that is the side thing for his kit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, (XB1)aMichealMeyers said:

Would be lol if teamwork and another Tenno can run on top of the ball like a clown.

...So that's why they wanted to release Grendel and Gauss at the same time.

Hypersonic Road Roller.