Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Swapping builds (warframes) during a mission

Yaerion

I had this idea (likely not new) hitting me during this devstream, when Steve was explaining that the systems of the RailJack ship have been thought to allow us to change our strategy/ship stats during a mission, to better face the situation.

It's been years that there is a friction between players complaining that they can't put enough mods into their builds to benefit from "situational" mods, or diversify their gameplay, and devs who don't want us to become too powerful in mission by unbalancing brutally the fragile "equilibrium" of the builds by adding extra slots.

What if...

... we could switch our Mods Configs during a mission? We would still have a classic set of 8 Mods + 1 exilus + 1 aura, but just granting different stats/bonuses. Just like our railjack, it would be our choice to redirect the energy of our warframe to the modules we currently need for the part of the mission we are in.

This would allow us to open a whole new layer of gameplay and potential/adaptability in missions, without breaking the game. Of course, there are things to consider to prevent abuses, but once dealt with, I don't think that this new feature would crush the game balance:

1) There could be a weighty animation of the warframe for the switch, making this action not a good move to spam thoughtlessly , or when under critical danger.

2) All active abilities would be dispelled by a switch (this would prevent for example a Wisp to cast her Reservoirs with full power on, then switch to an efficiency or range build and still benefit from the huge buffs of the other build for the whole mission).

These 2 tweaks should prevent the only possible abuses i see currently.

What do you think about this?

Do you see other potentiel abuses/breakage that could result of such a functionality? If yes, do you have solutions to prevent it? Do you see possible enhancements for this feature?

I'd like to see it as a part of Focus system. Something like: you transference out and doing things with your Warframe.

But it's pointless. You will always pick the best build you have, so there must be a reason. A possible reason is the augments that can change the mechanics of Warframe's abilities. We don't have enough augments and we don't even have slots for them.

I think it'll never happen.

Genuinely don't see this happening.

Railjack is 100% supposed to be a different system from regular modding. They've even said something to the effect of that during the Tennocon reveal, they want it to be a different thing.

As far as I'm personally concerned? Modding, on the scale of warframes, weapons and archwings, is something you can only do in an Arsenal, and there are no Arsenals in mission. And I certainly don't ever want there to be.