Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Mods Have Branching Evolution Paths

DavidSPD

Hey people. Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I had an idea for something to improve mods, and give them more variety and potentially increase the value of some less useful mods.

And that is for them to have "levels". Right now mods have a very linear path of improvement. Serration for example gets a flat bonus every time you rank it up. My suggestion is to make it so that once you "max" a mod you get one or more "paths". 

You get presented with a choice to add an additional stat to add to the mod, and its level "resets". Kind of like items with Forma, except you don't have to spend a Forma for this reset. So say once you max Serration you can then choose to either add crit chance, or puncture and the mod returns to the base rank. You then work on leveling it up again. Maybe as a result the cost increases beyond it's normal max value, making polarizing items even more important.

If cost increases beyond normal value then players really have to think about  "can I afford to increase the cost?", "Do I need/want this extra stat on this particular mod?" and in my opinion it adds a lot more to mods instead of it being an obvious no-brainer to max every mod you ever plan on using. Some mods may be lessened as their primary stat... like say Serration maybe can't fit on your weapon maxed anymore, but maybe whatever new stat it has makes it worth it for whatever build you're going for. 

Theoretically this would give each and every mod more... value, and require the player to think more about what they want a particular build to do, and how they want their weapon to perform. I think this would make modding weapons much more fun, and make people's builds a LOT more unique than they are currently. 

I'm not saying mods would automatically "evolve" when you max them, I'm saying when the mod is maxed at any time you can give it that extra stat and reset the rank. And this isn't a never-ending process. One extra stat per mod with increased costs to help balance it out. Putting an uncommon evolved max mod into an item without polarized slots could cost 25+, so without planning ahead you could derp your build.

This way having duplicate mods isn't really a "meh" kinda situation, because each mod would have multiple paths. This could also work for warframes themselves, giving higher ranked mods different effects and/or gameplay mechanics, but obviously it would need a LOT of attention so that one mod path wouldn't end up being THE path to take. Not sure I trust DE to be able to reliably do that because...well... *looks at Ember*.... yeah...

This would make current mods that are considered useless potentially viable in more builds. Mods like fire resistance, for example, could possibly be evolved so that you no longer get lit on fire by fire damage, or could be evolved to cause fire damage to nearby enemies in addition to the 12% fire resist. 

Possibilities are nearly endless, and this is something that I think would benefit the game greatly. Obviously if someone had a full inventory of maxed and evolved mods they would be incredibly powerful compared to our power level now, but DE could easily make higher level areas/mobs to compensate (say... an entire planet that is ALWAYS in nightmare mode). This would push the end-game a bit further back, and give some more replayability to things because you would be able to experience a new functionality multiple times for each of the mods you own.

Plus adding an extra stat to a mod would open up so many options for players. Stamina hurt your playstyle or warframe? Now having a max rush can potentially have an increased stam regen as well, or give you a 25% chance to knock enemies over if you bump into them. Maybe max stamina mods will give you a burst of speed when you start sprinting with full stamina or allow you to regen stamina during actions that normally don't allow it (like wall running or melee attacking). 

See what I'm saying? I'll find a couple mods I own and add suggestions to give more substance to this:

Armor Piercing

Path 1: 25% chance for small AoE damage directly behind target due to armor breaking into shards upon death

Path 2: 25% chance for projectile to puncture target (calculated for each target hit with single shot)

Fast Hands

Path 1: When reloading, an additional 20% of ammunition is loaded into the magazine

True Steel

Path 1: 5% chance to instantly kill targets on-hit [does not work on bosses]

Path 2: When landing a critical hit, cause a small explosion that does AoE damage at 50% of damage to secondary enemies and additional 15% damage to primary(no self damage)

Finishing Touch

Path 1: Downed attacks on enemies do even more damage critical hits are instant-kill (stupidly high damage)

Path 2: Performing a downed attack will restore 100 health to you

Killing Blow

Path 1: Landing a critical hit with a charged attack will cause enemies to be ragdolled (larger weapons have larger effect)

Path 2: Increase the amount of targets that can be hit with a charged attack by 1 per rank targets further from the crosshair take less damage

Streamline

Path 1: Using an ability causes you to slowly regenerate 5% of the energy spent

Path 2: Depleting your Energy below 25 give you one free use on your first ability for an emergency

Redirection

Path 1: Redirects 10% of the enemy's damage back at the enemy when shields are active

Path 2: When your shields are depleted they explode, causing nearby enemies to be knocked down and take a small amount of damage

Stretch

Path 1: The further enemies are from you the more damage they take from your abilities

Path 2: Summoned or controlled minions gain damage reduction and increased damage the further they are from you

Edited by DavidSPD

Yeah....I would never use this. And for people with a similar mindset, that locked content would get a lot of complaints. It'd be easier to just make the crap mods useful, instead of making people grind them more (people are lazy, so they still wouldn't get used).

Edited by Khaos_Zand3r

Yeah....I would never use this. And for people with a similar mindset, that locked content would get a lot of complaints. It'd be easier to just make the crap mods useful, instead of making people grind them more (people are lazy, so they still wouldn't get used).

Yeah I agree that this idea may not be popular with everybody, but it's really no different from having blueprints in the void (except maxing mods tends to be easier than getting a specific bp). It might annoy people having to max some mods again (like Serration, which I still haven't maxed) but the additional benefits should make it worth it overall, I would hope.

I would say "it's not for everybody" but I really don't think that's true. If all it takes is maxing a mod to get the options to add an additional effect, then I'm sure even people that wouldn't think they'd use it would. Since this would be effective for all current mods it's really not any different (and I would argue preferrable) to simply adding new mods that have their effect. 

Since adding new mods require farming/grinding this has a similar effect as adding new mods to the droptables, but Rare 5 mods all ready in your possession don't require you to actually get them first. Just wait a couple days, check the wiki and see what the effects are, what the increases in cost are and then see if you think it's worth it. If not, oh well, right?

Edited by DavidSPD

This was already suggested a while ago for warframe ability mods to have an evolution "tree". But I don't think DE took to it very well.

Oh? Well warframes are a bit of a different story. Hopefully with it being general mods it might be a bit more appealing to them.

I edited the OP for clarity, here's what I added:

"I'm not saying mods would automatically "evolve" when you max them, I'm saying when the mod is maxed at any time you can give it that extra stat and reset the rank. And this isn't a never-ending process. One extra stat per mod with increased costs to help balance it out. Putting an uncommon evolved max mod into an item without polarized slots could cost 25+, so without planning ahead you could derp your build."