Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grendel Reveal Devstream ... :(

Haranthus

So ... instead of the awesome Oni theme that was suggested a few months ago ... you made him a walking fat joke about eating, puking, farting and rolling ...

Wow ... great ... so much for the positivism shown around Hildryn.  Heavy guys can't get the same respect?  I mean you guys just laughed the whole time he was being shown.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Haranthus said:

positivism shown around Hildryn.  Heavy guys can't get the same respect?

Eh, all I ever hear about Hildryn (and other female Frames) is lewding about how "thicc" she is, that's not exactly respectful, either.

Mind, I also am not entirely happy that Grendel ended up as what seems to be a gimmick-heavy [hah, heavy, get it?] Frame,
but oh well, at least his gimmicks seem fun and unique, Kirby Katamari Frame, sure let's roll with that 😄

• Like 2

vor 38 Minuten schrieb Haranthus:

So ... instead of the awesome Oni theme that was suggested a few months ago ... you made him a walking fat joke about eating, puking, farting and rolling ...

Wow ... great ... so much for the positivism shown around Hildryn.  Heavy guys can't get the same respect?  I mean you guys just laughed the whole time he was being shown.

He is pretty underwhelming agreed. Dont think I care too much about Grendel.

vor 7 Minuten schrieb NinjaZeku:

Eh, all I ever hear about Hildryn (and other female Frames) is lewding about how "thicc" she is, that's not exactly respectful, either.

Mind, I also am not entirely happy that Grendel ended up as what seems to be a gimmick-heavy [hah, heavy, get it?] Frame,
but oh well, at least his gimmicks seem fun and unique, Kirby Katamari Frame, sure let's roll with that 😄

Those are just the degenerates on the internet, lewding everything.

• Like 5

Oni theme. Some people suggest links between Oni and "hungry ghosts".

But what exactly do you expect it to be? Demon raging fire? A boring fat male ember? Or another Rhino-type thing? Hell no. Hard pass. Boring. Been there. Seen that.

I much prefer what they showed off. Heck, it's exactly what I was expecting the very moment I saw fat frame several devstreams ago. A frame that eats and eats and eats. Heck I wish it could open a portal and eat everything in a straight line (like a reverse Wisp beam, instead of blasting the sun out, he sucks enemies all in and digests and kills them).

I don't know what disrespect you are talking about. This dude looks amazing and I will probably even buy him with plat instead of farm him normally when he releases. Your "disrespect" is in your own mind and your own projection. 

I find the character known as Gluttony from Full Metal Alchemist to be cool as well, and this warframe will approximate that character.

But of course, people on these forums will complain and attempt to kill any ideas before they even get realized. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Haranthus said:

I just wrote an open letter to the team and the community that you might like to read, regarding this exact disappointment.

• Like 1

hace 10 minutos, Xepthrichros dijo:

I find the character known as Gluttony from Full Metal Alchemist to be cool as well, and this warframe will approximate that character.

Gluttony was awesome. One of the strongest homunculi iirc.

hace 1 hora, Haranthus dijo:

So ... instead of the awesome Oni theme that was suggested a few months ago

Not the first time they do that. Reveant was supposed to be Vlad the Vampire, Ash was supposed to be female, Ember was male (name Blaze) etc etc.

... you made him a walking fat joke about eating, puking, farting and rolling ...

Not exactly a joke. His abilities seem effective and his theme is gluttony, and the 4th ability isn't really a fat joke, it's a Katamari Damacy reference. And he's not the first frame that eats enemies.

Wow ... great ... so much for the positivism shown around Hildryn.

Just the fact Hildryn and Grendel exist is proof of body positivism, otherwise they wouldn't even exist at all and all frames would have a fit athletic body-type.

Heavy guys can't get the same respect?  I mean you guys just laughed the whole time he was being shown.

Show me ONE Devstream where they don't laugh their arses off at the new frames.

I think the whole thing is in your head.

Another example: Kuva Guardians. Are they fat? yes. Are they probably one of the most badass units in the Grineer army? hell yes.

Also: Respect MUST be earned. And I think Grendel will.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Haranthus said:

Uhh, I don't think that was their intention, I mean we have plenty of Male frames that can do amazing stuff. Umbra (if you look closely to his body shape, he looks a Body Builder). Look at Vauban, hes a bit chunky with all his big armor and able to do alot of stuff. Ash slim and flexible.

I don't think this is the can of worms you wanna open OP.

Keep in mind, if this WAS their intention, to laugh at "Men" and "Fat People" the Media will be all over it. I have quite a few friends who are the "Fat Side" and I see nothing wrong with jumping into that train, trust me OP, a small compney can't afford to make fun at such. The Media will crush it.

Edited by Circle_of_Psi

29 minutes ago, Nazrethim said:

Just the fact Hildryn and Grendel exist is proof of body positivism, otherwise they wouldn't even exist at all and all frames would have a fit athletic body-type.

Also: Respect MUST be earned. And I think Grendel will.

This was the point I was trying to make also, DE chuold of never even bothered to add such a frame, sure yes it might be a bit insensitive to really put it on the nose that "oh god he eats everything" but look at other frames, Valk-Kitty, in some peoples eyes, where more then just "tortured" if her Alt Helm has anything to say. Look at Limbo, he wears a suit and top hat, one of his Alt Helmets is based on Brit Hats with a Monocle, Being Brit myself that makes me very happy.

5 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

*Vampire! Learn your development history.

Reveal hidden contents

36:01, if it doesn't work.

He should be Eidolon themed but Rebecca loves vampires and she was in charge of him so to the void with that Eidolon frame nonsense. Gonna make that Eidolon looking frame into a vampire because that makes sense.

They did say it was heavily inapire by oni but in their defense the very first time he was ever shown they straight up called him "kirby frame" which is extremely accurate to his end design. 

Hes simple but I think hes kind of cool. His DR method is unique and his abilities put it you at risk for, hopefully, a good pay out. I think itll be dumb fun to go around carrying like 20 dudes and just blast them at some guys face like a human shotgun. Plus, unless theres heavy restrictions he basically instantly kills enemies. If not from nourish but just instantly taking an enemy out of combat to use as a shield.

2 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

Right, now listen to what Reb says.

Also, he still is an Eidolon, so that's not a lie. The lie is the vampire theme they (Reb) planned for and never delivered on.

The way I see it is just that they gave it to a dev that had little or no experience when it came to making abilities and since that dev liked vampires and from what I understand was her first time trying to concept abilities they went for that.

To me it's just a theme clash that should have never happened, the vampire theme should have been left alone for another warframe.

In regards to Grendel, from the beginning they said that eating and puking were going to be his theme so at the very least they remained consistent there.

Abilities wise I don't think they went a wrong direction with the exception of his 1 and 3. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Madway7 said:

The way I see it is just that they gave it to a dev that had little or no experience when it came to making abilities and since that dev liked vampires and from what I understand was her first time trying to concept abilities they went for that.

To me it's just a theme clash that should have never happened, the vampire theme should have been left alone for another warframe.

That “dev” was Rebecca. Probably put in charge of his development because everyone else was working on Fortuna at the time.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

That “dev” was Rebecca. Probably put in charge of his development because everyone else was working on Fortuna at the time.

Okay Rebecca is the community manager, she didn't develop any frame, the whole vampire fiasco was just her relaying the frames theme wrongly and people clinging to her words. Revenant was always meant to be eidolon themed not vampire, that a part of his kit lined up with some aspects of vampire folklore was nothing more than coincidence, and Rebecca (god bless her gothic loving heart) just focused on the overlap a bit too much and confused people on the actual theme it was meant to have.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Haranthus said:

Oni vary quite wildly in both looks and capabilities.  Consuming enemies, eating them, going into a ball, spitting them out are all characteristics of what an Oni can do depending on who's writing the mythos.  The devs make jokes about pretty much anything they show off.  This is you looking faaaar into it.  The fact that we have a large frame and a muscle frame is diversity.

4 hours ago, Shiichibukai said:

Those are just the degenerates on the internet, lewding everything.

The devs also take part in lewd/suggestive behavior either with commentary or occasionally design.  No one is guilt free.

4 hours ago, Gabbynaru said:

Remember, Revenant is meant to be a Vampire too. So, not the first time they've done this.

Reb has called many frames vampire like.  This isn't them changing things.  This is Reb being Reb.  Rev was showcased as eidilon themed.  The ult being changed wasn't to move from a vampire thing and more to make him more eidilon like.  The only good example of a thematic clash that has existed so far is Khora.

24 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

Okay Rebecca is the community manager, she didn't develop any frame, the whole vampire fiasco was just her relaying the frames theme wrongly and people clinging to her words. Revenant was always meant to be eidolon themed not vampire, that a part of his kit lined up with some aspects of vampire folklore was nothing more than coincidence, and Rebecca (god bless her gothic loving heart) just focused on the overlap a bit too much and confused people on the actual theme it was meant to have.

Her being the community manager is why Revenant is so bad. They literally called him Rebecca’s frame. Did she develop him personally? No. But she lead the team that did develop him.