Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we talk about the host issues in Warframe

(PSN)Bigboodyjuudy

I think it needs to be said that there are some glaring problems with hosting, and nothing has really been done to improve this over the years.

Problems such as doors not opening for anyone other than host, hosts disconnecting and the server returning you to the menu even while in a mission causing you to lose valuable time and effort and all the rewards you acquired during the mission all gone. I've even heard hosts disconnecting in hour long arbitrations everything and the players losing all the progress. That should not happen. Why is there no safeguards for this sort of thing? 

I feel as if players fail to adresses this big problem with Warframe even though it honestly should be talked about a lot more. I suggest that the devs implement a system that detects when a host disconnects due to a connection error or some sort, that the remaining players are placed in an instance that is server side, if no other players are suitable to host. Currently this is one of my biggest gripes with Warframe and one that stops me from having as much fun as I should in multiplayer. 

But what are your thoughts, do you agree with the system I proposed? What other solutions can you give to help solve this problem. I understand the reasons behind peer to peer, but its currently very unstable and needs some polishing up. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, (PS4)Bigboodyjuudy said:

I feel as if players fail to adresses this big problem with Warframe even though it honestly should be talked about a lot more.

46 minutes ago, (PS4)Bigboodyjuudy said:

I suggest that the devs implement a system that detects when a host disconnects due to a connection error or some sort, that the remaining players are placed in an instance that is server side, if no other players are suitable to host.

Oh look... someone didn't use the search function. Awesome...

How would DE detect if someone disconnects due to a connection error? Or: What is a connection error to you?

And who would pay for the servers for people to play on?
How would DE determine how many players a server would have to handle? What would happen if the server is full? And where would the server be located? I can only assume that someone from Japan would rather disconnect if they had to play on a server located in Canada. The distance lagg would be horrible.
If servers were located around the world, how would they determine which server the team mates connect to, if you have a team with someone from let's say Germany, Japan and from the US. Where would be the best location for a server so that these three players can keep playing in the same lobby with no lagg issues?

And yes, when you want to talk about that matter, you have to come up with solutions for these problems.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, (PS4)Bigboodyjuudy said:

How did you come that conclusion when I'm talking about the host leaving.

I always get a success host migration, putting me back into the session when host leaving so if you keep getting back to menu it's your internet

It happens all the time. In endless relic missions you get random or no relic if host leaves between phases, and you only get yours part to 'chose', even if everybody else got 10 reactant. Or the rewards screen hangs, while gamę still works- enemies move, shoot, fissures open. And you are stuck looking at rewards choice forever. (or like 10 minutes, longest i've ever waited before forcibly restarting the gamę) 

il y a 14 minutes, (PS4)Bigboodyjuudy a dit :

How did you come that conclusion when I'm talking about the host leaving.

Because you loose stuff at host migration most likely because your internet is not good enough. When your internet is solid, host migrations work nearly all the time (as opposed to nearly never for you from what I can get out of your post).

And since the issue can't be coming from your PS4 (as it should have the spec), and that it's not an overall network problem (as many don't have those issues), it narrows the issue down to your internet.

Edit : and yeah... This topic is the deadest of horse, it's been discussed through and through don't worry.

Edited by Fallen77

20 minutes ago, Fallen77 said:

Because you loose stuff at host migration most likely because your internet is not good enough. When your internet is solid, host migrations work nearly all the time (as opposed to nearly never for you from what I can get out of your post).

And since the issue can't be coming from your PS4 (as it should have the spec), and that it's not an overall network problem (as many don't have those issues), it narrows the issue down to your internet.

Edit : and yeah... This topic is the deadest of horse, it's been discussed through and through don't worry.

Where did I say it rarely works? Quote me where I said anything of the sort? 

40 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

Oh look... someone didn't use the search function. Awesome...

How would DE detect if someone disconnects due to a connection error? Or: What is a connection error to you?

And who would pay for the servers for people to play on?
How would DE determine how many players a server would have to handle? What would happen if the server is full? And where would the server be located? I can only assume that someone from Japan would rather disconnect if they had to play on a server located in Canada. The distance lagg would be horrible.
If servers were located around the world, how would they determine which server the team mates connect to, if you have a team with someone from let's say Germany, Japan and from the US. Where would be the best location for a server so that these three players can keep playing in the same lobby with no lagg issues?

And yes, when you want to talk about that matter, you have to come up with solutions for these problems.

I'm aware that the topic has been discussed, but usually when it does it doesnt garner nearly enough attention as many other issues such as warframe balancing, content "drought" etc. 

The game is over 5 years old now, yet we haven't seen any significant improvement in stability for peer to peer connections.

Currently theres a lot of issues with the current system. I can see the pros of it yes, the ease of searching for groups, and the lack of financial pressure to keep servers up for players matchmaking but lets not deny the obvious faults in the system aswell. 

No one likes losing progress in a game thats out of our, the players control. I think we can all agree on that. No one wants to do a 1 hour or so arbitration or fissure endless and get hit with a "host disconnected returning to main menu" warning. It sucks the life out of you when that happens and curbs your drive to continue wanting to play, not knowing if you'll get hit with it again and lose your progress at any moment. 

I can't claim I know how servers would work to my suggestion, I only know that servers are both physical and virtual, and that you can create instances and allocate players to those instances. I don't see how it would not be feasible, especially at this stage that DE is at. They have enough of a sizable income to think ahead for this.

Edited by (PS4)Bigboodyjuudy

il y a 42 minutes, WhiteMarker a dit :

when you want to talk about that matter, you have to come up with solutions for these problems.

hahaha!

No.

It is up to [DE] to look for solutions. We do enough pointing out the problems in this forum.

Edited by Awazx
  • Like 1

Actually the topic is brought up regularly. What isn't brought up regularly is any statistics beyond anecdotal claims. For all we really know the people who get "regular" migrations are a overwhelming minority or it's an issue based more so on the player's end (ISP, location, etc). Especially as every time the topic is brought up there are people who also claim that they rarely, if ever, see failed migrations.

For me personally in my nearly 4k hours over the last six years I can't even recall the last failed migration I've had and have never had one that was "memorable" in any way.

That's just how it seems to be; some people get them and some people don't. Which is also why it isn't brought up even more than it already is and why some people are against the idea of dedicated servers; "it ain't broke don't fix it" very much applies here.

9 minutes ago, trst said:

Actually the topic is brought up regularly. What isn't brought up regularly is any statistics beyond anecdotal claims. For all we really know the people who get "regular" migrations are a overwhelming minority or it's an issue based more so on the player's end (ISP, location, etc). Especially as every time the topic is brought up there are people who also claim that they rarely, if ever, see failed migrations.

For me personally in my nearly 4k hours over the last six years I can't even recall the last failed migration I've had and have never had one that was "memorable" in any way.

That's just how it seems to be; some people get them and some people don't. Which is also why it isn't brought up even more than it already is and why some people are against the idea of dedicated servers; "it ain't broke don't fix it" very much applies here.

Nowhere did I claim it was a regular occurrence. Regular or not, this should not happen in resulting in loss of player losing progress, especially when we are talking about losing an hour or more of progress. Its only happened to me a handful of times in over 1000 hours but please don't use the excuse "its your internet" as the HOST disconnecting, has no involvement with me or the other players in the mission. The host disconnected and the game failed to find a suitable host in time so we all lose our progress as a result. 

Again, fail to see how you come at this accusing my internet being the problem here. 

Also I'd like to ask how us as players can provide the statistics? Isnt that the companies job since you know, they hold that kind of data? We can only provide anecdotal because none of us work at DE. 

1 minute ago, (PS4)Bigboodyjuudy said:

Nowhere did I claim it was a regular occurrence. Regular or not, this should not happen in resulting in loss of player losing progress, especially when we are talking about losing an hour or more of progress. Its only happened to me a handful of times in over 1000 hours but please don't use the excuse "its your internet" as the HOST disconnecting, has no involvement with me or the other players in the mission. The host disconnected and the game failed to find a suitable host in time so we all lose our progress as a result. 

Again, fail to see how you come at this accusing my internet being the problem here. 

Actually it does matter, as there is no feedback regarding exactly why a migration failed it can't be ruled out that it was caused by you losing connection to the host or that you failed to connect to the new host when the session did recover. When a client drops due to something on their end, even if momentarily, they get booted out with a migration message.

My point is that not everyone has issues with migrations failing and the only data we have on them are anecdotal claims with a lack of facts as to what the real cause is.

11 minutes ago, trst said:

Actually it does matter, as there is no feedback regarding exactly why a migration failed it can't be ruled out that it was caused by you losing connection to the host or that you failed to connect to the new host when the session did recover. When a client drops due to something on their end, even if momentarily, they get booted out with a migration message.

My point is that not everyone has issues with migrations failing and the only data we have on them are anecdotal claims with a lack of facts as to what the real cause is.

Ok, I already stated us as the players cannot get that kind of data, only DE has access to it, and I'll bet you a billion platinum that they'd never disclose that information. 

So yes, you can claim all you want that ita anecdotal, sure but, considering the numerous threads on here and on reddit talking about it, it doesnt seem to be an isolated issue, I'm not just talking about host disconnection, numerous other issues.

How many times have we seen people ask DE  to not make doors linked to hosts? Why is that even a thing? I shouldn't be completely stopped from progressing a mission because a host has bad Internet but oh, I'm sure you'll claim that that is also my problem I'm sure. You can see why the problem hasn't been adressed, because clearly when people do try to talk about it, they are instantly shut down by forum warriors who think that anything that doesnt happen to them, is the fault of the player making the complaint, rather than DE. 

The purpose of this thread isnt just to be another "lets complain about x topic" more so of a "lets actually address the problem, make DE aware that this is a issue that needs to be fixed, not swept under the rug" 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, (PS4)Bigboodyjuudy said:

I don't see how it would not be feasible, especially at this stage that DE is at. They have enough of a sizable income to think ahead for this.

Wow, you have information on how much money DE has to spare? Where did you get that information? I'm sure you can provide some back-up on you claim.

44 minutes ago, (PS4)Bigboodyjuudy said:

I can't claim I know how servers would work to my suggestion, I only know that servers are both physical and virtual, and that you can create instances and allocate players to those instances.

You are one of these people that think the a cloud-service is a magical thing in the air, aren't you? Event virtual servers need a physical place where calculations happen. Everything out there is calculated on a physical computer. And this computer has a distance to the user. For ideal usage the distance should be as small as possible. So again, how would that work out for the team I was talking about in my last post.

And again: please show.me some calculations on how DE would pay for all of this.

DE is a company. And coming up with the idea of servers doesn't require you to have a high IQ. I'm pretty sure DE thought about servers and didn't want to make it happen, because it's to expensive, or because servers couldn't properly handle the game. I'm sure DE doesn't just want to #*!% us with not using servers...

46 minutes ago, Awazx said:

hahaha!

No.

It is up to [DE] to look for solutions. We do enough pointing out the problems in this forum.

What makes you think that DE isn't looking for solutions? What makes you think that OP's idea for servers is that great? Provide some numbers on the costs to show that DE could easily make it happen. Or do you want DE to use up all their money to make servers a thing just to end up with no more money to support the game, so that they have to close Warframe? I mean, closing the game would end the host migrations... so it would be a solution to the problem...

Lost an aura forma to a failed host migration one time and wanted to chuck my controller through my TV.  My internet is fantastic by the way living in a suburb of minneapolis I'm not in sticksville, USA without good lines running through my house.  

I, too, hate it when doors break and don't let you through.  It is aggravating as heck not being able to go through a mission because of it.  No clue why it's still this way.  

2 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

Wow, you have information on how much money DE has to spare? Where did you get that information? I'm sure you can provide some back-up on you claim.

You are one of these people that think the a cloud-service is a magical thing in the air, aren't you? Event virtual servers need a physical place where calculations happen. Everything out there is calculated on a physical computer. And this computer has a distance to the user. For ideal usage the distance should be as small as possible. So again, how would that work out for the team I was talking about in my last post.

And again: please show.me some calculations on how DE would pay for all of this.

DE is a company. And coming up with the idea of servers doesn't require you to have a high IQ. I'm pretty sure DE thought about servers and didn't want to make it happen, because it's to expensive, or because servers couldn't properly handle the game. I'm sure DE doesn't just want to #*!% us with not using servers...

What makes you think that DE isn't looking for solutions? What makes you think that OP's idea for servers is that great? Provide some numbers on the costs to show that DE could easily make it happen. Or do you want DE to use up all their money to make servers a thing just to end up with no more money to support the game, so that they have to close Warframe? I mean, closing the game would end the host migrations... so it would be a solution to the problem...

1. I don't have any information on how much money DE "has to spare". I do know though that they met their highest revenues year after year

"According to estimates provided by SuperData, Warframe's revenue has grown an average of 27% year-on-year, reaching $182.5 million in digitalrevenue across 2018- https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2019-08-15-what-we-can-learn-from-warframe

They haven't disclosed 2019 yet, to my knowledge so it could be that they've broken the record yet again. We also know that DE has enough money to have over 300 employees working there, yet they don't have enough money for physical servers? I very much doubt that. I adressed that servers are physical, I said that in my OP if you had actually taken the time to read through it. 

I dont have to do any calculations for DE. What you're asking is absurd. Thats not my job, I am not their financial advisor nor manager. 

If they have a reason to not use servers to host games in case migration fails because it conflicts with their game engine, or anything of that nature, they should state that to the players. 

I don't know whether DE is searching for solutions to this problem or not, whats with all these questions that assumes I should have this internal knowledge of DE, as if I work there. I again am a customer. I can only give feedback and suggestions for a product. What I do know is that based on how these complaints are still happening just as often as they were at the start of the games release that DE hasnt put enough effort into making it a stable experience for players. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 844448 said:

I never have this problem even when I'm using mobile data so looks like more of your internet problem considering there's no potato PS4 with ancient specs

1 hour ago, 844448 said:

I always get a success host migration, putting me back into the session when host leaving so if you keep getting back to menu it's your internet

I get host migrations, but most of the time they're successful. 

Considering the fact that I live in the third world, on a tiny island, I am wondering what sort of ISP OP has, or how much hyperbole went into their post. 

Don't bother. 

"No one actually experience host migration problems" followed by "oh look yet another person complaining about host migration problems that don't exist even though we never go a week without someone complaining about them."

They need to go to a multiple hosting system or something. 

Yes. It's a problem. It's a problem that it is  not okay has been going on this long. And yet people not only ignore it, they deliberately ridicule anyone who brings it up. 

Having only one host means that there is only one point of failure, it also means that if the host has seriously bad lag, everyone has seriously bad lag. See in a peer to peer connection, the "host" is the "Server". Which often means that if ANYTHING goes wrong with the host when they quit, including if they quit because their internet was just suddenly dropped, it means that the migration process has a pretty solid chance at failing.

Almost all other games in this generation have hosting set up in a format that allows "Drop in/drop out" where in if the host quits the game, your current progress is retained because it was all at least partially hosted locally. When the host leaves a game, all you should ever experience is a message that "EarlyQuitter779 has left the game" and perhaps a brief slow down while things migrate. It is unacceptable for a multiplayer game in this generation to have total progress loss due to the host quitting. go to literally any other "Game as service" and you will not see anything like this. Destiny is peer to peer. They don't have host migrations. Division is peer to peer, they do not have host migrations, point of fact, i cannot think of a single other game in this generation that does this. Either there is no host migration, or when the host quits, progress is saved, and you are returned to the the start screen. This is an unholy hybrid of the two systems where there's only one host, and session ends when they leave, but the software tries to reinstate the event so that you'll have to "complete" the event to keep your progress.

But since people keep demanding "Statistics", followed shortly by claims that "DE can't possibly provide statistics" followed by "since DE can't possibly provide statistics then clearly it must not happen often"....look. Rather this happens once a day, a hundred times a day, a thousand times a day, or ten thousand times a day. This is a problem that is negatively effecting players, no matter how many or few, and seriously. Do any of you LIKE watching "host migration" and wasting time that could be spent in game watching a loading screen?

There are a lot of ways to resolve this problem, almost all of them result in the game being overall better for all players.

Just remember that this game would still have a stamina bar if people didn't push for bad mechanics to be fixed.

Ancient internet wisdom. Never read the comments.

Internet%252BComments_b5c857_4604977.jpg

Edited by (PS4)Black-Cat-Jinx

16 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

I get host migrations, but most of the time they're successful. 

Considering the fact that I live in the third world, on a tiny island, I am wondering what sort of ISP OP has, or how much hyperbole went into their post. 

Again read the OP. I never stated it was common occurrence. I do like how many people misconstrue my argument, probably on purpose.

Regardless if it occurred once or 100x. The fact of the matter is you as a player should not lose any progress when the game fails to find a second host and honestly seems weird that the game cannot decide that the other 3 players may be suitable and that the match must be ended as a result. The likelyhood of the 3 remaining players not being suitable hosts is unfathomable, considering how often we come across players with high ping *cough the ping filter option still does nothing*  the game has no problem assigning those hosts to begin with. 

Even so, lets make up this hypothetical scenario that all remaining members in the party have terrible internet, to a point where the game cannot find a second host. Why do we lose resources? Surely since the game can dictate what happened, it should be able to say ok, host migrated so x y and z, get the resources they accumulated during that time. Why is that not possible or feasible? 

38 minutes ago, (PS4)Bigboodyjuudy said:

Again read the OP. I never stated it was common occurrence. I do like how many people misconstrue my argument, probably on purpose.

Regardless if it occurred once or 100x. The fact of the matter is you as a player should not lose any progress when the game fails to find a second host and honestly seems weird that the game cannot decide that the other 3 players may be suitable and that the match must be ended as a result. The likelyhood of the 3 remaining players not being suitable hosts is unfathomable, considering how often we come across players with high ping *cough the ping filter option still does nothing*  the game has no problem assigning those hosts to begin with. 

Even so, lets make up this hypothetical scenario that all remaining members in the party have terrible internet, to a point where the game cannot find a second host. Why do we lose resources? Surely since the game can dictate what happened, it should be able to say ok, host migrated so x y and z, get the resources they accumulated during that time. Why is that not possible or feasible? 

Hint hint, all others don't need to have bad internet if the host suffers a catastrophic failure that irreparably severs the connection to the server. 

Now, it's one thing to say "sucks that I lost my reward. It's totally another to demand that the risk of catastrophic failure of any and all systems become zero. 

And really, if you want to talk about a given topic, wouldn't it be better to actually have a basic idea of what you are going to be talking about? 

6 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Hint hint, all others don't need to have bad internet if the host suffers a catastrophic failure that irreparably severs the connection to the server. 

Now, it's one thing to say "sucks that I lost my reward. It's totally another to demand that the risk of catastrophic failure of any and all systems become zero. 

And really, if you want to talk about a given topic, wouldn't it be better to actually have a basic idea of what you are going to be talking about? 

Its a hypothetical question for a reason. Im aware that the other 3 people don't have to have terrible connections aswell. I'm playing the argument with a hypothetical of your side of the fence with the worst case scenario to prove a point. 

And lets be real here, even if I did supposedly have terrible internet, doesnt change the fact that the problem occured at the host leaving and the system failing to do a proper job at finding a solution that wont impact the player negatively. The player successfully connected to the host, the host is the one that left, so the issue is at that main point.

Or in the case of doors not opening to anyone other than host. Who here is to blame? Certainly not the other players, are they at fault because the doors wont open due to an error on the hosts side? No of course not. 

The problem in this forum is people are assuming its the players fault that the server didnt reconnect them. How is that? Does the player dictate if he gets to join? No, its completely up to the system that DE created if you get booted to the main menu or joined back in and selected as the host.

Heres another issue. We don't even know how the system dictates who hosts to begin with. Is it the with the lowest ping? Well not according to the many complaints of people joining games with hosts with absurdly high pings apparently, with the ping filter claiming to do something yet as its been shown, it has no effect whatsoever if you choose ping limit of 100 or no limit.

Why even call it a "limit" if it doesn't actually LIMIT, the ping of the players that host or join in? Are you beginning to see just how far down these problems go? 

14 minutes ago, (PS4)Bigboodyjuudy said:

Its a hypothetical question for a reason. Im aware that the other 3 people don't have to have terrible connections aswell. I'm playing the argument with a hypothetical of your side of the fence with the worst case scenario to prove a point

Uh, what? You're trying to suggest something that someone who has no clue would possibly believe, in order to try to convince people that what's going on is something other than what is going on? 

You thought that was a good idea? Really? 

The only point you're making is that you're not clear on how any of this actually works. 

14 minutes ago, (PS4)Bigboodyjuudy said:

And lets be real here, even if I did supposedly have terrible internet, doesnt change the fact that the problem occured at the host leaving and the system failing to do a proper job at finding a solution that wont impact the player negatively. The player successfully connected to the host, the host is the one that left, so the issue is at that main point.

One of the things about living in the third world is that sometimes the local branch of the electrical grid goes down multiple times in a day. It's happened when I was playing. In the event of a catastrophic failure in communication, it's a bit unreasonable to expect the game to be able to find a way to get my rewards. 

Now imagine that somehow I was host there. Catastrophic failure. I am not able to communicate with the servers to tell them what rewards we all got. Player 2, gets pissed about host migration and rage quits. Players 3 and 4 can't connect to 2, regardless of what the server is trying to do, and they get booted to the orbiter. That's one way for it to happen. 

Another is that for whatever reason, the route between me and the host goes down. I am unable to connect, but 2 and 3 are fine. Host reports my absence to the server. Meanwhile the server cannot connect me to the others because neither is the host. I get booted to the orbiter. In the mean time the team has extracted with their loot so the session no longer exists. 

In the first place it's the host who's had a catastrophic failure. In the second it's just one member of the squad. I'm not sure how you would go about telling which one you experienced. Currently I suspect that neither are you. 

Either way, these are not common events for me. Are they for you? 

33 minutes ago, (PS4)Bigboodyjuudy said:

Heres another issue. We don't even know how the system dictates who hosts to begin with. Is it the with the lowest ping? Well not according to the many complaints of people joining games with hosts with absurdly high pings apparently, with the ping filter claiming to do something yet as its been shown, it has no effect whatsoever if you choose ping limit of 100 or no limit.

Why even call it a "limit" if it doesn't actually LIMIT, the ping of the players that host or join in? Are you beginning to see just how far down these problems go? 

Looks like an instantaneous test on joining. Depending on how stable your connection is, ping times may fluctuate wildly. If you get in while it's good, but in general it's bad, we'll have lots of lag. Since the "limit" is only applied during the test, expecting it to magically stabilize your connection for the whole session doesn't make a lick of sense.