Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GOOFBALL1

What annoys you with interceptions? And what's your style in interceptions and why?

Question

For me the annoyance is the people running around, ignoring the capping points, the flags, the nodes, ABCD.

It has bugged me, much more in the past than it has now. Because it's more likely to lose a base when someone's running around doing whatever, than by standing in your post.

Before you say stuff like "it's on you if you feel bugged about it", let me say, yeah it is on me. My first interception was a discouraging failure, and it seems like the only game mode where you really need to rely on your team, of course in addition to eidolons. In eidolons I just don't see people doing their own thing being open liabilities. Maybe because I ain't got time to watch what others do, or because I understand it's such a learning fight compared to interception. Those two ain't the same. I get it even arbitrations interception fights have less incentive, the only interceptions I do really, and the incentive makes it better for me, because I see others being there for the same reason, not just to mess around. I get it you want to push your limits and all that, have fun, and I feel the same. But when you lose a base and lose time, and it has happened so often in the past before arbitrations... I guess there's a caring gap or something too. I used to care more and saw people caring less. It has changed, though. Looking back, I understand that before arbitrations, interceptions were so easy (except perhaps sortie ones) that you didn't really need to put any effort to win the necessary rounds. It just felt unreliable and a bit disrespectful but I think I was being the disrespectful one too, inside, not respecting the fact people play games for fun and enjoyment and to express themselves even at a cost for others, even a very light cost. The time spent costs nothing, increased stress hormones in your body due to teammates acting wild, they cost more. 

You can't make an omelet without breaking the eggs so I ain't judging. Warframe is not Rust, but it is also not Sims. It's in-between those and accommodates a wide range from both ends of that spectrum of thrill-seekers to chillers. And it's not wrong to be a thrill-seeker in one day, and a chiller in another, if you like change there.

So you end up getting both kind of people in one mission, one mutual session. It's a place of coexistence. I ain't gonna tell myself it's wrong to get agitated over those things, but I can ask myself why I get agitated over those things. And I ain't gonna play an hour in a way that's not me, if it's not for a clanmate or something and I get stuff in return perhaps, something mutually receptive. But, I ain't also gonna flame the person running around in interception even if we'd happen to lose a game because of it, not that it happens... but if it did, I'd say I wouldn't blame them. Not directly at least. Lamenting the loss in chat should be enough for anyone with normal brain capacity to realize, at least subconsciously, that they might have wronged the other players with their carelessness.

I like to be the good guy, so I do what I think is best for the team but also something I find myself enjoying doing. Which in interceptions is guarding a point like a dog with a short leash, and removing the leash briefly once the round is over to clean up stragglers. It's clean, it's what I see as a reliable way of doing, and because interception is a team effort more so than other mission types, I want to contribute more reliably, so people wouldn't had to be disappointed because of me. But I'm not going out of my way to do more than my share either, if it's not something I don't feel like doing. I see team games like interception like human health: it's enough each vital organ works normally, no need for very very good function, but it's important to be reliable and not have a heart attack or liver failure or something, even if you were on your peak performance most of the time. Reliability is a good base to build things on. So I do that.

When I solo, or team up with people who can and dont mind carrying me, because I do the same for them at the drop of the hat and they know it, things are different. But public interception: different house different rules.

Reliability doesn't have to mean the end of creativity and self-expression. You can have both. In team games I'd rather let my caring part be the leader of me, and the self-expression and creativity be foot soldiers, so that the team is better off and can have their rewards and the feeling of success and the dopamine rush in the end.

Warframe has a wonderful community of people acting like people, not vicious pack of rabid wolverines. Well, I don't know if that can be said from the way they act towards in-game PvE enemies, but for each other... off-topic: I wish there was a frame that gave some happy psychedelic sedative to enemies and let them live a while before their impending death, like crowd control and death with nice lore lol. Like a kiss of death of a kind yet deadly seducer. You can always dream :)

1 hour ago, Gabbynaru said:

I generally hate these kind of anti-Warframe missions where all you do is sit around and do F all for minutes and minutes. That's what Interception is, a waste of time, an anti-Warframe mode that wouldn't be out of place in any generic shooter. It's boring, it takes too long, the enemy pathing is generally horrible, the maps are either way too big or way too small, and did I mention how boring they are?

Like, maybe they are fun with others, cause others are incompetent and make you run around to clean up after their screw-ups, but as a solo player, I capture each point, return to the first capture point and just sit there for minutes while nothing happens. Yawn.

I don't think it's "anti-Warframe"; it provides a place for cc frames. Of course, nuke/kill frames can just wipe the map and prevent tower captures that way, but this is one of the few game modes where a pure cc frame works just fine as well.

beam weapons like ignis (i use ignis and atomos a lot but i also use aoe weapons like pox) on any wf specter (i usually use trin for her 4 and 2) then i always have moa, roller, ancient healers, chargers, shield osprey, corrupted lancers, and clem clones. The useful ones for me are clem and wf specters since they don't move around the map like headless chickens, and stay where they're told usually. the other specters are mostly there to draw fire and occupy the enemy units, they die often but you can buy them for cheap with standing (some of them anyway) i use specters a lot because i have 100's of bp's and need something to spend poly/creds on.

remember the enemy count is way lower for solo games, for t1-t3 intercepts they'll usually only attack one point at a time so it's pretty manageable. bigger maps require lots of efficiency/range/speed/etc. to get around quickly so just plan accordingly i think

edit: they're also if you're in a game with plebs or people that just don't know how to play/intentionally play badly. 

I have no particular annoyances with interceptions.
And having only read your first paragraph, it seems you don't either... More like you have a issue of having only interacted with bad players, and not taking the time to at least attempt on instructing them on how to play.

1 minute ago, ReaverKane said:

I have no particular annoyances with interceptions.
And having only read your first paragraph, it seems you don't either... More like you have a issue of having only interacted with bad players, and not taking the time to at least attempt on instructing them on how to play.

Um... what if they like being bad? Because something is more important to them than being the best and most skillfull or even the best they could be in game? Like self-expression?

And I know, they might be too shy, but there's a lot of "they might" and assumptions... I don't like those. I'd rather have them ask for help if they need it, or if we're having serious trouble and clearly seeing the reason, then maybe once suggesting a course of action.

What's the deal with Revenant in Interceptions?    I got yelled at recently in one for killing mobs that were taking over control points.  I'm sure some of them were enthralled, but the enthralled ones weren't doing a very good job afaict, and I was only getting involved when it looked like the control point was going to turn over--or at least that's what I thought.

It was just the two of us, in a low level syndicate mission,  but it ended up being one of the hardest Intercepts I've done in a while.  And this was with me playing Slowva, which is usually super-chill, almost no matter who I'm squad-ed up with.  I don't play Revenant though, so I'm sure I'm  missing something silly.

Il y a 2 heures, (PS4)kite9000 a dit :

If you don't like how players don't have each others backs then the advise is 'play solo'. NEVER do I see someone mention that those that just want to do there own thing should play solo. No, us who like to play with a squad, we're the problem and we should just go solo. How dare we expect people to work together in a coop PvE game. How utterly silly of us.

You can go premade too... Getting the synergies and fun you want ? It's not needed to be solo.

Public games are what they are. You can't expect everyone to play the way you want in random public games.

I'm not experiencing those problems with eidolon. It's clearly content you'll enjoy much more in premade...

Simaris target are quite tricky, i end up killing those without really noticing. The time we get the message "you're damaging the target" it's dead. and i'm not running around with my scanner up, in most missions it's a disadvantage. Updating how the target look with some kind of synthesis effect on it would work for me.

Exploration isn't really a focus in this game. I don't bother because of that very specific reason. Wasting time running around isn't funny for me.

You mean you found people to play with? And you still go in public expecting EVERYONE to be : good/mature/exploration driven/efficiency oriented.

About this whole entitled snowflakes thing. It's a good thing gaming media (who cares more about publishers and what they can get from them than their actual audience) keep saying that amazing stuff. We're such a bunch of bad people right ? 

Keep going like this, you're an entitled self-aggrandizing snowflakes yourself.

Expecting everyone to play the way you want is not going to happen ever. 

1 minute ago, GOOFBALL1 said:

It has bugged me, much more in the past than it has now. Because it's more likely to lose a base when someone's running around doing whatever, than by standing in your post.

I sound like a broken Vinyl in the meantime, but...Solo?

K06vSwM.jpg

Sortie 3, Solo, Enemies took 7%

I like Interceptions against Grineer and Infested. Corpus will be skipped

I generally prefer to just solo it. It's easy to do and I can get it done faster than a group of 4.
If I'm playing with my friends then you know I'm going for Limbo/Octavia and I'm completing this in easy mode.

I have limited playtime so I don't want to deal with people goofing around and making the mission take longer than necessary if I can help it.
I'm usually either helping people out to complete something because they personally came to ask me or they asked in recruit chat and I saw it.
Or I'm trusting my allies in sortie spy/lua rescue because those are some of the missions that are just faster and/or more efficient in group play.

If I'm helping people, there are a few things I tend to run but one of my favorites is just Limbo/Octavia to secure one spot and then I can secure another spot allowing me to cover 2 spots at a time. Even of the other two spots fail completely so long as we get an edge me maintaining two spots will let us win in the end. If we're against grineer/infested I will sometimes run Vauban and just cover the whole map and beg my allies to not kill anything if we just want it done fast.

Solo, I'll do Nyx or Ivara mostly. Sometimes Vauban.

I generally hate these kind of anti-Warframe missions where all you do is sit around and do F all for minutes and minutes. That's what Interception is, a waste of time, an anti-Warframe mode that wouldn't be out of place in any generic shooter. It's boring, it takes too long, the enemy pathing is generally horrible, the maps are either way too big or way too small, and did I mention how boring they are?

Like, maybe they are fun with others, cause others are incompetent and make you run around to clean up after their screw-ups, but as a solo player, I capture each point, return to the first capture point and just sit there for minutes while nothing happens. Yawn.

Solo? Nah. It's no big deal. And arbitration interceptions are a thing so ain't gonna miss those archgun rivens just because it's an interception day. Failure is an option.

Solo might be nice challenge when I feel like pushing myself, thanks for the tip & reminder on that one though 🙂 

On 2019-08-20 at 3:37 PM, GnarlsDarkley said:

I sound like a broken Vinyl in the meantime, but...Solo?

K06vSwM.jpg

Sortie 3, Solo, Enemies took 7%

I like Interceptions against Grineer and Infested. Corpus will be skipped

Respect!

To be honest, do me the most annoying thing about interceptions is when someone starts raging, or even quits, because the other players don't want to camp and they can't stand that that might increase the mission time by about 30 seconds or so.

So people have it stuck in their head that if you actually want to play, rather than just spending ages squatting in a corner in an endless mode, that that 'leeching' off them, or playing 'wrong'.

That said, it is annoying if someone forces you to cover for them because they're just not trying, rather than clearing the map or going for extra affinity/focus/standing.

But being honest, the only interception I ever failed was a solo T4 void, and I was even doing ok at that until Vor poped up and I got greedy; it's normally not an easy mode to lose, there's just a gap of time between 'optimal' completion and just winning.

*smh*

Yeah, anything that actual asks for co-operation doesn't work unless you have a group of friends or clan members that are on the same page from the start or you get very lucky.

I hear lots about how wonderful the player community is but whenever someone points out that there's lots of players that can't be bothered to actually try to work as a team the answer is always the same: 'play solo'.

If you don't like how players don't have each others backs then the advise is 'play solo'. NEVER do I see someone mention that those that just want to do there own thing should play solo. No, us who like to play with a squad, we're the problem and we should just go solo. How dare we expect people to work together in a coop PvE game. How utterly silly of us.

Run through a mission in 2.5 seconds. What? You wanted to pick up some resources or even an Ayatan? Nope, we'll pull you out. Go play solo.

Killing Eidolons.... What? You wanted to capture them? Nope, don't have time for lures to be filled. Go play solo.

Killing Simaris scan targets. What? You wanted to scan it? Why? No time, have to kill, kill, kill. If you wanted the scan you must be a 'noob'. Go play solo.

So what if I start each and every excavator without ever bothering to defend any of them. Who do you think you are trying to teach me how to play the game efficiently. If you don't like it then go 'play solo'.

What? Each of us defending one interception point? Nay, that's for losers. Don't have time for it. No let's all stand on the same one and then , in group, keep running to the next one to capture over and over again because I drank to much Monster/Red Bull and can't stand to actual chill. Go play solo you loser.

Exploring the survival map to see if there's any goodies? Nope. Picking a place to just let the enemies come to the squad and profit from the affinity range? Nope. Everyone disperse and try to kill as many as you can by yourself, constant being frantic zipping around the entire map. You don't like that? Go play solo !

Yep, wonderful community of players indeed.

*stare*

Are there mature minded players that enjoy the game, take the time to explore, finding the hidden rooms, working together with their squad, letting there squad know if and where something is of interest? Yes there are but truly they are not the vast majority of players. Let's be honest now, a serious chunk of the playerbase are entitled self-aggrandizing snowflakes. I've played the game now every day for a year now and after +2k hours I have found a handful of people I would run with no matter what mission or task. Another handful with which I can do somethings sometimes without them peeving me off or I them.

On 2019-08-20 at 9:43 PM, Tiltskillet said:

What's the deal with Revenant in Interceptions?    I got yelled at recently in one for killing mobs that were taking over control points.  I'm sure some of them were enthralled, but the enthralled ones weren't doing a very good job afaict, and I was only getting involved when it looked like the control point was going to turn over--or at least that's what I thought.

It was just the two of us, in a low level syndicate mission,  but it ended up being one of the hardest Intercepts I've done in a while.  And this was with me playing Slowva, which is usually super-chill, almost no matter who I'm squad-ed up with.  I don't play Revenant though, so I'm sure I'm  missing something silly.

People think you should be a mind-reader and expert on every frame and cater to their playstyle so they can do the Cool Thing even if it's an obscure and poorly-demonstrated mechanic that is counterintuitive for teammates to play around.

The most I'll cater to another teammate's playstyle is not instagibbing everything in an ally Nidus's meatball. Sometimes.

If your frame relies on your teammates not doing things that they're trained to do, then it's not a good teamplay frame and you shouldn't have brought it.

11 minutes ago, GOOFBALL1 said:

Um... what if they like being bad? Because something is more important to them than being the best and most skillfull or even the best they could be in game? Like self-expression?

And I know, they might be too shy, but there's a lot of "they might" and assumptions... I don't like those. I'd rather have them ask for help if they need it, or if we're having serious trouble and clearly seeing the reason, then maybe once suggesting a course of action.

Well, that kind of mindeset has a flip side... Because my form of self expression (or yours) can be that you like to boss around and tell everyone exactly what to do... Who's to say who's form of self expression is prevalent.

2 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

Ok... press 4 to win isn't anti-warframe... It's exactly how you best use some warframes... That expression is actually utterly incoherent, how can anything that uses a warframe be anti-warframe? You could call it anti-shooting, anti-weapon, but anti-warframe, if by definition you're actually USING warframe powers....
Also, Interceptions are actually the mission type where anything goes, since ideally each player would sit at their tower for most of the mission, each one can more or less be allowed to use whichever strategy they like. Unlike other game types, where you have mostly a single objective, and everyone is going the same way doing mostly the same task, interceptions are more prone to allow each player to do their thing...
Of course, a max Ability Range saryn or volt, or equinox, might be able to overpower the whole map, but then, who doesn't like a chill ride?

25 minutes ago, GOOFBALL1 said:

For me the annoyance is the people running around, ignoring the capping points, the flags, the nodes, ABCD.

This. I literally hate going on it with randoms. It's always messy.

Also I hate when someone "helps" me capturing the point at the beginning in stead of taking his own and makes me leave it to him. That's really annoying.

What is my best way to go around? Slow nova+Oberon/Wisp/Oberon+Wisp+Khora etc... There are many combinations in fact. Personally I like playing slowa with 90+m range to cover almost all the map. But here I'm speaking about arbitration.

Interceptions seem to be one of the few mission types where the team is usually on board with what has to happen. That's rare. Well, more rare than it should be. 

My only real complaint are the large numbers of tenno that leave after only one or two rotations, but you see this in all missions. I usually bring 'frame that can go it alone for at least four rotations just because of this sort of thing. 

A few of the maps don't seem well suited to this mission type, but the Earth intercepts are always a prize when they appear. Those work well, even if one is a bit on the small side (almost all intercepts should be on larger maps, just sayin'...). 

1 minute ago, ReaverKane said:

Ok... press 4 to win isn't anti-warframe... It's exactly how you best use some warframes... That expression is actually utterly incoherent, how can anything that uses a warframe be anti-warframe? You could call it anti-shooting, anti-weapon, but anti-warframe, if by definition you're actually USING warframe powers....

Also, Interceptions are actually the mission type where anything goes, since ideally each player would sit at their tower for most of the mission, each one can more or less be allowed to use whichever strategy they like. Unlike other game types, where you have mostly a single objective, and everyone is going the same way doing mostly the same task, interceptions are more prone to allow each player to do their thing...
Of course, a max Ability Range saryn or volt, or equinox, might be able to overpower the whole map, but then, who doesn't like a chill ride?

Except that what I mean by "anti-warframe" is that Warframe is a game about hyperactive kids moving their mobile fortresses at high speed and killing things faster than those things can see them. Interception (and Defense, as well as mob-defense and deception to a degree) is the Anti-Warframe, because the optimal way to play them is to sit freakin' still and, as you said, press 4 to win. It's dead boring compared to bouncing off the walls and ceilings like a cartoon character on speed.

For me, t all depends on the level of Interception, and the Tillset!
I have much fun whith interceptions!
If its under level 40-50, runing around between A-B-C-D can work, but i have alwys focus on my Spot! If i start on A, i defend it, but  between mobs, i can go help out others, but I NEVER let my Spot be conquered.Have to be fast.
In level 50-60 Plus i defend 2 spots. I chose for example A, and defend the next clooser spot, and go betwenn the 2 of them.

But in interceptions, for each round there is always a "HOT SPOT". Its the zone where the majority of enemys spawn. Thats the zone  the Team should always be vigilant to help. And there is always the COLD ZONE ( opposite of the other one), where few spawn, and you just need to check it ou 30-40 secs frequency.

So if you know your map, and be vigilant to those "Hot Spots", is manageable to do + 80-100 levels interceptions ! ( Of course i try to use o good CC frame)

Those are my tactics for this type of missions

2 minutes ago, Sloan441 said:

My only real complaint are the large numbers of tenno that leave after only one or two rotations, but you see this in all missions.

I think the problem is Interception feels slower than other game modes really. 2 Waves feel super dragging VS 10 waves of defense, for some reason. Probably could use a few tweaks now.

On 2019-08-22 at 1:05 PM, (PS4)kite9000 said:

*smh*

Yeah, anything that actual asks for co-operation doesn't work unless you have a group of friends or clan members that are on the same page from the start or you get very lucky.

I hear lots about how wonderful the player community is but whenever someone points out that there's lots of players that can't be bothered to actually try to work as a team the answer is always the same: 'play solo'.

Run through a mission in 2.5 seconds. What? You wanted to pick up some resources or even an Ayatan? Nope, we'll pull you out. Go play solo.

Killing Eidolons.... What? You wanted to capture them? Nope, don't have time for lures to be filled. Go play solo.

Killing Simaris scan targets. What? You wanted to scan it? Why? No time, have to kill, kill, kill. If you wanted the scan you must be a 'noob'. Go play solo.

So what if I start each and every excavator without ever bothering to defend any of them. Who do you think you are trying to teach me how to play the game efficiently. If you don't like it then go 'play solo'.

What? Each of us defending one interception point? Nay, that's for losers. Don't have time for it. No let's all stand on the same one and then , in group, keep running to the next one to capture over and over again because I drank to much Monster/Red Bull and can't stand to actual chill. Go play solo you loser.

Exploring the survival map to see if there's any goodies? Nope. Picking a place to just let the enemies come to the squad and profit from the affinity range? Nope. Everyone disperse and try to kill as many as you can by yourself, constant being frantic zipping around the entire map. You don't like that? Go play solo !

Yep, wonderful community of players indeed.

*stare*

Are there mature minded players that enjoy the game, take the time to explore, finding the hidden rooms, working together with their squad, letting there squad know if and where something is of interest? Yes there are but truly they are not the vast majority of players. Let's be honest now, a serious chunk of the playerbase are entitled self-aggrandizing snowflakes. I've played the game now every day for a year now and after +2k hours I have found a handful of people I would run with no matter what mission or task. Another handful with which I can do somethings sometimes without them peeving me off or I them.

you're mistaken teamwork and public missions

what are the reasons to go public?

1 - you're having difficulties on your own

2 - you can solo but you wanna do it faster/easier  because you don't like the mission type, you need to farm the reward, want some XP for your fodder weapons etc...

3 - you have no problem solo it and say why not carry someone else

4 - you forgot to select solo

if you are in group 1 (or 4) with exigencies, you're just being rude.

19 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

I got yelled at recently

the guy thought he knew everything about everything probably. Very common problem on wf. 

i constantly see people try to bark orders on how to play in pugs. it's like if it matters that much to you stop using public games and actually coordinate with a group of friends. 

So many people don't understand interception as gametype in all honesty.  I LOVE the game mode myself because it's so damn easy and chill, yet people don't understand that hey you should capture these points and when a light is flashing on a captured point it means they're trying to take it back.  It's also one of the few modes where crowd control frames are the actual best frames, not kill frames.  When I go into interceptions with randoms none of them ever bring a slova, vauban, nyx, etc. etc. they bring some excal umbra or some crap frame that makes no sense in interception.  Then they proceed to not capture points at the start of the round for whatever reason.  

1 minute ago, (XB1)COA Altair said:

So many people don't understand interception as gametype in all honesty.  I LOVE the game mode myself because it's so damn easy and chill, yet people don't understand that hey you should capture these points and when a light is flashing on a captured point it means they're trying to take it back.  It's also one of the few modes where crowd control frames are the actual best frames, not kill frames.  When I go into interceptions with randoms none of them ever bring a slova, vauban, nyx, etc. etc. they bring some excal umbra or some crap frame that makes no sense in interception.  Then they proceed to not capture points at the start of the round for whatever reason.  

Those are the people looking to either get carried, try for the highest damage/most kills stat, or both.  

Nothing. I like interceptions, they're actually one of my favourite game modes. But I'm also an Ivara player by nature and interceptions are her bread and butter, so that probably explains a lot about why I enjoy them too.