Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Announcement] New Free Dojo Planner!

AeliosZero

Question

New Dojo Planning tool, including Railjack Hangar, In the works!
jDrVOVE.jpg
Greetings fellow Tenno! Whether you are a Tenno considering founding their own clan and building their own dojo, or you are a veteran Moon-clan Leader wondering how the new railjack hangar will fit in your existing dojo, or anything in between, I believe you will find this tool useful.
For a while now I have been developing a new dojo planner. I want to make one that address the issues that exist with the dojo planners currently out there, namely that they are:
  • Out of date,
  • Have issues that stop rooms being properly aligned,
  • Are a little clunky to use,
  • Let the user produce designs that don't actually work in Warframe.

On top of making a program that is simple to use, I really want to make sure that the dojos people design can actually be built in-game, so that they don't have to spend weeks building out their dream dojo, only to have to spend more weeks tearing it all down because of some unforeseeable issue the game had with their room placement. I've gone through this and I want to save others from having to go through what I have. 

Here's a List of some features I have implemented/plan to implement:
  • User-friendly experience when using the app
  • Allow user to quickly prototype different layouts and ideas
  • Show visible Room Bounds to indicate whether a room will actually fit (Visible in red while in build mode)
  • Grid snapping to ensure all rooms line up how they should
  • Node snapping to speed up design process
  • Show warnings when a room:
    • Intersects another room, including ones the user thinks should fit in the space
    • Can't be placed due to Pre-requisites
    • Is impossible to make due to energy/capacity (i.e: Running out of energy before building the rooms you need to place in order to place more reactors)
    • Hits the 100 room cap
    • Intersects a room above/below the one the user is trying to place

I want to give a big-shout out to @Buff00n for all his help tediously figuring out the collisions of each room and making the room graphics and recording the UI Sounds used in this project. This tool wouldn't be nearly as good as it is right now if it wasn't for his hard work! 

I don't have a solid release date yet but it is nearly complete and could take anywhere between a few days to a month depending on unforeseen issues and user interest.

This tool will be free, in order to keep this tool accessible to as many people as possible, however if you wanted to show your support through donations or in-game plat/items I would be tremendously grateful for it! Even just mentioning this to people who you think would find this handy would be very helpful to me! I want to get this tool in the hands of the people who need it most so mentioning it to others would be a huge boost! If you would like to help me by play-testing an early version, or offering your opinion on design decisions, hit me up with a DM!

1.1 Progress Log (Will be updated live):

Here's some changes I have completed / plan to implement for the next release (1.1.0). Completed | In-progress | To Complete |

• Much Greater Zoom Distance
  • Swapped camera over to a true Orthographic view (as opposed to a far away perspective, which broke when zooming out any further than the current limit)
    • The Zooming and panning system also had to be redone from scratch and will behave differently because of this . 
  • A few remapped controls. Made left-clicking on empty space function as panning (doesn't work in construction or while hovering over a piece to avoid conflicts) middle click to pan also always pans as an extra redundant control. I might make it right-click at some point but a lot of things rely on right click right now and it could get messy.
  • Added a [X] button in the top right corner. I'd ideally like a confirmation prompt before closing but this takes a lot of effort (I have to make UI from scratch) and I don't have the patience for it right now. If this feels pointless or causes problems let me know.
  • Capacity and Energy now turn red when negative as a better visual indicator. 
  • Rearranged UI elements into what I think is a more sensible layout. Might put Dojo stats back on top if I add a bunch of other tools at the bottom.
  • Redesigning Grid texture out of a sine wave rather than a texture for better scaling, performance and to slightly reduce precious file-size. Currently dealing with a major flickering issue at larger distances.  I give up on this because its too difficult to implement.
  • Adding a 'build last placed' button that will allow you to rebuild the last piece you used 
  • Some more optimisations and file culling to reduce filesize (It's big because I'm using unreal engine 4 to make this and I know I could have used something simpler but tbh I understand UE4 the best. If I tried making this using some other method, the learning curve would probably prevent me from making anything at all). This just takes time because if I remove the wrong thing, everything breaks. 
  • Currently fixing the Oracle and Tenno labs. They had odd numbered lengths and therefore were centering at the wrong point. A simple offset value should fix it IT IS NOT THIS SIMPLE TO FIX! STUPID CODE!
  • Multiple floor support with overlays for the floor above and below it. Some buttons to travel between available floors. I'll need to make the elevator down spawn an elevator up room below it and vice versa which will help avoid complications. I'll also need to create a variable for each room object to record its 'height'  and have them load and unload when the user changes floors; some complicated stuff here but this would be a really neat feature that I haven't seen in any other dojo editor. This also paves the way for making collision checks between multiple stories which would be invaluable for dojo planning.
  • Upgrade load menu to a list format of some kind. Ideally this would be a filetype you can save/load with windows explorer like most programs but I haven't learnt how to do this yet.
  • Block Keyboard input while in Save/Load Menu
  • Make Load delete all rooms before loading I tried doing this already but it failed horribly. 
  • Add in Toggle snap function and hopefully figure out the cause of the mysterious snapping issues which have evaded me so far. 
  • Fix the issues with moving objects and make the code compatible with the place object code (Things broke when trying to use the placement code for moving things, so currently the move code is a stripped back version of the placement code) 
  • Text Tool to place text 'objects' in the world. I'll add other useful inserts like colour and stuff in a future update.
Edited by AeliosZero
  • Like 25

On 2019-09-10 at 1:31 AM, AeliosZero said:

Drag selecting is actually quite complicated to set up for me. it would involve <snipped a lot of hassle>

An easier alternative if you do want to add multi-select might be to allow for shift-click to expand your selection; that seems more doable I think?

I never realized using the Unreal engine leads to such constraints -- I'm more of a "traditional" desktop app creator myself 🙂  Though I can definitely see the benefits of using it too for faster development.  Interesting!

On 2019-09-10 at 1:31 AM, AeliosZero said:

Another thing I never mentioned but wanted to ask about. How is the presentation of the controls in app? I'm referring to the text in the bottom right corner which has the controls. Is that a good way to present them or does it get too obtrusive? Do you like that the text constantly changes to mention which controls are currently possible (as opposed to a static window mentioning all controls at once or a popup window like stom66's dojo editor). Thanks for following along guys! Its helping me stay motivated to work on this!

For me (who is used to using other control mappings) it's very nice to have there; otherwise I'd be making far more mistakes compared to without it (as I found out with the Stom66 planner).  The fact that it updates to show the current options is also nice.

However, if you want to later press on with a HTML5 web app, you'll probably find it'll take up too much space for people on phones.  The same is true when you implement windowed mode; people might make the window size quite small.  So a good way to go forward is to make it window/screen size dependent; the full list when on a big enough screen, a popup button when on smaller screens.

One other thing I noticed in the latest release (don't know if it was present before): the Dojo Planner says "WARNING: Room limit exceeded!", while I don't see why that would be.  The design I've put in is exactly what I've already build in-game, so I think the warning is in error?

I've put my SaveGames folder (heh) on Google Drive:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h9Kcfqt8yAS77xDC7-npAi9U7ZexU5zb/view?usp=sharing

And another thing: when I quit, it says "Thanks for using Dojo Designer!", but that text is only there for a fraction of a second -- I think you should take more credit for your hard work and leave it up for at least a second more 🙂

• Like 1

Update: 
I have multi stories working finally! I need to tune the opacities right as well as the indicators of higher or lower floors (probably by some variation in colour). While the app says up and down arrow change floors I also have additional alternative macros of [,] [.] [<] [>] [Pg. up] [Pg. down]. Some controls have alternative macros but I kept these unlisted to prevent the control bar inundating the page with redundant information.  

Unfortunately the camera position seems to be on the fritz whenever I place something so I will have to fix this before I can upload anything. I gave up on the new grid texture and reverted back to the old one. 

Theres a lot of UI changes compared to 1.0 and I added this blue tint I think looks nice. Let me know your thought's on these additions and changes. 

I apologise for keeping you all waiting on the next release but I've had the flu, a family emergency and an assignment keeping me from this. Hopefully this screenshot shows some of the upcoming changes with the application. 
duH7euy.jpg

How have you been finding 1.0? Is it holding up against other dojo planners or are you moreso holding out for the next release of this app? 

Edited by AeliosZero
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AeliosZero said:

I have multi stories working finally!

That's great!  

Some controls have alternative macros but I kept these unlisted to prevent the control bar inundating the page with redundant information.  

You might want to consider just a pop-up help screen that lists all the controls and alternate controls.  Or at least include some kind or README.TXT that lists everything.

I apologise for keeping you all waiting on the next release

Don't sweat it, good things are worth the wait.

Hey there. I don't know if these have been mentioned anywhere (it's quite late at the moment and my bed is calling to me), but A) loading a dojo seems to just add rooms to the various locations (so if you load twice, you will have sets of 2 stacked rooms everywhere) and B) there are some old rooms which are no longer able to be built, but have remained in-game. If such rooms could be added, it would help older clans build around those rooms to preserve them.

32 minutes ago, ShadowMageAlpha said:

there are some old rooms which are no longer able to be built, but have remained in-game. If such rooms could be added, it would help older clans build around those rooms to preserve them.

Unfortunately, neither @AeliosZero nor I have old dojos, so we don't have any realistic way to build graphics or, more importantly, determine the actual bounds of those old rooms.  If someone with the old rooms wants to help out that's great, but I have to warn you.  The process will probably involve weeks of your time, a ton of Forma, destroying everything around those rooms, and just kind of building stupid crap in their place.

I'm curious about the method.  I assume it involves trying to place various things next to the room in question to figure out where its no-build zone is, yeah?

Also, if I've done measuring and counting correctly, each grid on the map corresponds to a 2x2 meter area, yeah? Assuming that's the case, I could easily just emulate the dimensions in the system by leaving appropriately sized holes in the map.  

Also also, some early measurements:

Clan Hall (Old): 64m / 32 squares door-to-door (long), 43m / 21.5 squares wall-to-wall (short). Really unsure about the short distance here, but.. eh.

Great Hall (Old): 64m / 32 squares door-to-door (long), 62m / 31 squares wall-to-wall (short)

Cross Connector (Old): 36m / 18 squares from door-to-door.

T-Shaped Connector (Old): 27m / 13.5 squares from door-to-wall. This is a bit weird as the physical dimensions of the room go beyond the shape on the map. Relevant Image

Edited by ShadowMageAlpha

1 hour ago, ShadowMageAlpha said:

I'm curious about the method.  I assume it involves trying to place various things next to the room in question to figure out where its no-build zone is, yeah?

Yeah, basically.  For example: This is how I'm determining the bounds of the Crimson Branch room:

Spoiler

xkS9ven.png

For the record, the Tenno Lab fits but the Elevator does not.

2 hours ago, ShadowMageAlpha said:

Also, if I've done measuring and counting correctly, each grid on the map corresponds to a 2x2 meter area, yeah?

Yeah, the grid squares are 2m x 2m

Assuming that's the case, I could easily just emulate the dimensions in the system by leaving appropriately sized holes in the map.  

Also also, some early measurements:

If you want to get me started then I need a full map screenshot of your old dojo rooms plus as many "new" rooms as you can fit on the screen, for scale.  It also helps if you can point your camera at a blank wall so there's less confusion between the map and the background.

Other than that, it's basically doing stuff like I have in the picture above.

11 minutes ago, Buff00n said:

If you want to get me started then I need a full map screenshot of your old dojo rooms plus as many "new" rooms as you can fit on the screen, for scale.  It also helps if you can point your camera at a blank wall so there's less confusion between the map and the background.

I'll be able to provide some screenshots.  If you'd like, I can throw them into a photo editor and add a grid overlay consistent with the one in the planner program.  Should it much easier to determine sizes and such.  

As for determining the boundaries, I'm not entirely sure how much help we'll be able to be with that. I'm not the leader of the clan and he's got some desires he's not communicated yet. It may be a while until I can begin getting boundary data, if ever.

17 minutes ago, ShadowMageAlpha said:

I'll be able to provide some screenshots.  If you'd like, I can throw them into a photo editor and add a grid overlay consistent with the one in the planner program.  Should it much easier to determine sizes and such.  

Just screenshots are fine.  I have to match it to my grid in Inkscape where I've built all the other room outlines.

19 minutes ago, ShadowMageAlpha said:

As for determining the boundaries, I'm not entirely sure how much help we'll be able to be with that. I'm not the leader of the clan and he's got some desires he's not communicated yet. It may be a while until I can begin getting boundary data, if ever.

I can take some guesses based on the screenshot for now.  But if the point of this exercise is to to be able to plan out exactly what you can build around those old rooms, then I'm going to need hard data at some point.

6 minutes ago, ShadowMageAlpha said:

Here's the screenshots for the old rooms we have.

Interesting.  I'm assuming this gap means those cross connectors don't actually meet?

Spoiler

Imyv7rw.png

I see five rooms.  Do they have official names?

Spoiler

Medium hall?

dHKkcre.png

Bowling Alley?

oiwMxX5.png

Cross Connector?

asFLGBk.png

T Connector?

pnWI0AB.png

Big Hall?

xbGiSKw.png

Also, do you have a shot of that first one, the "medium hall", without the teleporter icon?

7 minutes ago, Buff00n said:

Interesting.  I'm assuming this gap means those cross connectors don't actually meet?

I see five rooms.  Do they have official names?

Also, do you have a shot of that first one, the "medium hall", without the teleporter icon?

Correct, they do not actually meet. Actually one of my main issues with our current layout.

Official names are: 

Medium Hall -> "Clan Hall"
Big Hall -> "Great Hall"
"Cross Connector"
"T-Shaped Connector"
Bowling Alley -> "Reactor"

In the mean time, I'll see what I can do about getting rid of that teleporter symbol.
That was shockingly easy.

Spoiler

fOxh5ug.png

Edited by ShadowMageAlpha

1 hour ago, ShadowMageAlpha said:

Correct, they do not actually meet. Actually one of my main issues with our current layout.

Every layout with the old dojo rooms is going to have issues with things not lining up, which I believe is the primary reason they were discontinued in favor of the new rooms which follow a grid.

Official names are: 

Medium Hall -> "Clan Hall"
Big Hall -> "Great Hall"
"Cross Connector"
"T-Shaped Connector"
Bowling Alley -> "Reactor"

In the mean time, I'll see what I can do about getting rid of that teleporter symbol.
That was shockingly easy.

Thanks!  That at last gives me something to work with for generating some data.  However, I can't make any promises about updates.  I'm pretty busy these days, and I have no idea what @AeliosZero's free time looks like lately.

1 minute ago, Buff00n said:

Thanks!  That at last gives me something to work with for generating some data.  However, I can't make any promises about updates.  I'm pretty busy these days, and I have no idea what @AeliosZero's free time looks like lately.

Not a problem. I worked something out as a placeholder. If I can manage it, I'll try to get some boundary-related data for you guys.

FYI: I guessed a little wrong on the Dry Dock.  It's as wide as I thought, but you can't cut the corners out.  The new map view clearly shows a visible boundary that goes around in a big freakin' square.  (I can't help wondering if our speculation had something to do with this being made so explicit; those boundary bits were definitely not there in the reveal a few months ago).

It does extends much further back, like at least a large garden's worth past where the visible outline is.  I wasn't prepared for that, so it's going to take me a while to determine exactly how far back it goes.

Also FYI:

• It looks like you can only build one, so place wisely.
  • You can't have anything on the floors immediately above and below your Dry Dock.  Obviously.

On 2019-08-23 at 1:47 AM, AeliosZero said:

Apart from something generic like 'Dojo Builder', 'Dojo Planner' or 'Dojo Designer' (That last one has a nice ring to it) not really. Open to suggestions though!

Mojo Dojo

or Dojo Mojo

mo·jo
/ˈmōjō/
noun
US
noun: mojo; plural noun: mojos
  1. a magic charm, talisman, or spell.
    "someone must have their mojo working over at the record company"
    • magic power.

Makes sense.

Edited by Revenant0713

Would love it, if DE added a feature, where you can rearrange already exciting Rooms! 

Our Clan has been around ever since the introduction of Dojos (we even have the old reactor and connectors). Since they added so many new rooms, labs, etc since then, the layout has gotten way out of hand!

No easy way to rebuild. Would have to go room by room. Destroying everything, losing mats(?), struggle with Capacity and Energy as we strip the Dojo down...

I love this Planner that you have made! Fantastic work! Sadly, all it can do is help me plan the Dojo that I wish our actual Dojo could be...but without a rearranging option inside the game, it is of no use 😞 

Just now, raraRiley said:

Would love it, if DE added a feature, where you can rearrange already exciting Rooms! 

Our Clan has been around ever since the introduction of Dojos (we even have the old reactor and connectors). Since they added so many new rooms, labs, etc since then, the layout has gotten way out of hand!

No easy way to rebuild. Would have to go room by room. Destroying everything, losing mats(?), struggle with Capacity and Energy as we strip the Dojo down...

I love this Planner that you have made! Fantastic work! Sadly, all it can do is help me plan the Dojo that I wish our actual Dojo could be...but without a rearranging option inside the game, it is of no use 😞 

totally agree.

it's absolutely inflexible to re-arrange dojo like we have now for years (as we got with Dry Dock VERY huge room). if we build with dependencies rooms 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 (halls for example) and I want to move part 3 to other place - I will have to demolish backwardly all the 7-6-5-4 parts (including attached rooms and already precisely arranged decorations) to make it so... and demolishing every room takes 2 hours (I know Steve promised to shorten that cooldown significantly). 😞