Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Announcement] New Free Dojo Planner!

AeliosZero

Question

New Dojo Planning tool, including Railjack Hangar, In the works!
jDrVOVE.jpg
Greetings fellow Tenno! Whether you are a Tenno considering founding their own clan and building their own dojo, or you are a veteran Moon-clan Leader wondering how the new railjack hangar will fit in your existing dojo, or anything in between, I believe you will find this tool useful.
For a while now I have been developing a new dojo planner. I want to make one that address the issues that exist with the dojo planners currently out there, namely that they are:
  • Out of date,
  • Have issues that stop rooms being properly aligned,
  • Are a little clunky to use,
  • Let the user produce designs that don't actually work in Warframe.

On top of making a program that is simple to use, I really want to make sure that the dojos people design can actually be built in-game, so that they don't have to spend weeks building out their dream dojo, only to have to spend more weeks tearing it all down because of some unforeseeable issue the game had with their room placement. I've gone through this and I want to save others from having to go through what I have. 

Here's a List of some features I have implemented/plan to implement:
  • User-friendly experience when using the app
  • Allow user to quickly prototype different layouts and ideas
  • Show visible Room Bounds to indicate whether a room will actually fit (Visible in red while in build mode)
  • Grid snapping to ensure all rooms line up how they should
  • Node snapping to speed up design process
  • Show warnings when a room:
    • Intersects another room, including ones the user thinks should fit in the space
    • Can't be placed due to Pre-requisites
    • Is impossible to make due to energy/capacity (i.e: Running out of energy before building the rooms you need to place in order to place more reactors)
    • Hits the 100 room cap
    • Intersects a room above/below the one the user is trying to place

I want to give a big-shout out to @Buff00n for all his help tediously figuring out the collisions of each room and making the room graphics and recording the UI Sounds used in this project. This tool wouldn't be nearly as good as it is right now if it wasn't for his hard work! 

I don't have a solid release date yet but it is nearly complete and could take anywhere between a few days to a month depending on unforeseen issues and user interest.

This tool will be free, in order to keep this tool accessible to as many people as possible, however if you wanted to show your support through donations or in-game plat/items I would be tremendously grateful for it! Even just mentioning this to people who you think would find this handy would be very helpful to me! I want to get this tool in the hands of the people who need it most so mentioning it to others would be a huge boost! If you would like to help me by play-testing an early version, or offering your opinion on design decisions, hit me up with a DM!

1.1 Progress Log (Will be updated live):

Here's some changes I have completed / plan to implement for the next release (1.1.0). Completed | In-progress | To Complete |

• Much Greater Zoom Distance
  • Swapped camera over to a true Orthographic view (as opposed to a far away perspective, which broke when zooming out any further than the current limit)
    • The Zooming and panning system also had to be redone from scratch and will behave differently because of this . 
  • A few remapped controls. Made left-clicking on empty space function as panning (doesn't work in construction or while hovering over a piece to avoid conflicts) middle click to pan also always pans as an extra redundant control. I might make it right-click at some point but a lot of things rely on right click right now and it could get messy.
  • Added a [X] button in the top right corner. I'd ideally like a confirmation prompt before closing but this takes a lot of effort (I have to make UI from scratch) and I don't have the patience for it right now. If this feels pointless or causes problems let me know.
  • Capacity and Energy now turn red when negative as a better visual indicator. 
  • Rearranged UI elements into what I think is a more sensible layout. Might put Dojo stats back on top if I add a bunch of other tools at the bottom.
  • Redesigning Grid texture out of a sine wave rather than a texture for better scaling, performance and to slightly reduce precious file-size. Currently dealing with a major flickering issue at larger distances.  I give up on this because its too difficult to implement.
  • Adding a 'build last placed' button that will allow you to rebuild the last piece you used 
  • Some more optimisations and file culling to reduce filesize (It's big because I'm using unreal engine 4 to make this and I know I could have used something simpler but tbh I understand UE4 the best. If I tried making this using some other method, the learning curve would probably prevent me from making anything at all). This just takes time because if I remove the wrong thing, everything breaks. 
  • Currently fixing the Oracle and Tenno labs. They had odd numbered lengths and therefore were centering at the wrong point. A simple offset value should fix it IT IS NOT THIS SIMPLE TO FIX! STUPID CODE!
  • Multiple floor support with overlays for the floor above and below it. Some buttons to travel between available floors. I'll need to make the elevator down spawn an elevator up room below it and vice versa which will help avoid complications. I'll also need to create a variable for each room object to record its 'height'  and have them load and unload when the user changes floors; some complicated stuff here but this would be a really neat feature that I haven't seen in any other dojo editor. This also paves the way for making collision checks between multiple stories which would be invaluable for dojo planning.
  • Upgrade load menu to a list format of some kind. Ideally this would be a filetype you can save/load with windows explorer like most programs but I haven't learnt how to do this yet.
  • Block Keyboard input while in Save/Load Menu
  • Make Load delete all rooms before loading I tried doing this already but it failed horribly. 
  • Add in Toggle snap function and hopefully figure out the cause of the mysterious snapping issues which have evaded me so far. 
  • Fix the issues with moving objects and make the code compatible with the place object code (Things broke when trying to use the placement code for moving things, so currently the move code is a stripped back version of the placement code) 
  • Text Tool to place text 'objects' in the world. I'll add other useful inserts like colour and stuff in a future update.
Edited by AeliosZero
  • Like 25

This crashed my PC which is running windows 7... so I moved it over to the iMac to run in VMware ... and it flickered so badly it was unusable... 😞 , so going to build my dojo using your preview image as a reference, so it would be a similar arrangement

Edited by Cosmic_Elf

11 minutes ago, Cosmic_Elf said:

This crashed my PC which is running windows 7... so I moved it over to the iMac to run in VMware ... and it flickered so badly it was unusable... 😞 , so going to build my dojo using your preview image as a reference, so it would be a similar arrangement

I should note the preview image is out of date.  The Dry Dock's bounds form a straight-up box all around it; you can't overlap in the corners.

3 minutes ago, Buff00n said:

I should note the preview image is out of date.  The Dry Dock's bounds form a straight-up box all around it; you can't overlap in the corners.

not quite sureI understand what you mean , as I have just started building my dojo, and would need to build with the Dry Dock in mind, Could you do a basic reference preview image of what I can work with, since my computers had issues using the software ?

Edited by Cosmic_Elf

38 minutes ago, Cosmic_Elf said:

not quite sureI understand what you mean , as I have just started building my dojo, and would need to build with the Dry Dock in mind, Could you do a basic reference preview image of what I can work with, since my computers had issues using the software ?

Basically you have to leave a side of your dojo completely free, on all floors.  Unless your dojo is really, really huge, nothing else can be over the line where your Dry dock starts.

If you're looking for the bare minimal dojo that will get you going the fastest and have access to everything, then I think it now goes something like this:

Spoiler

pOwJlys.png

12 hours ago, Buff00n said:

Basically you have to leave a side of your dojo completely free, on all floors.  Unless your dojo is really, really huge, nothing else can be over the line where your Dry dock starts.

If you're looking for the bare minimal dojo that will get you going the fastest and have access to everything, then I think it now goes something like this:

Thank you very much... this is great help... I have already started on somethings... I noted the Dry Dock requires 6 reactors.

On 2019-11-23 at 12:11 PM, raraRiley said:

No easy way to rebuild. Would have to go room by room. Destroying everything, losing mats(?), struggle with Capacity and Energy as we strip the Dojo down...

I'm right there with you. Thankfully, you don't actually lose material.  Even platinum seems to get refunded to the dojo's vault when dismantle something that's been rushed.  It's not much, but it's better than it could be.

18 minutes ago, ShadowMageAlpha said:

I'm right there with you. Thankfully, you don't actually lose material.  Even platinum seems to get refunded to the dojo's vault when dismantle something that's been rushed.  It's not much, but it's better than it could be.

Sorry but that is not even a consolation prize, that is the bare minimum so that DE doesn't make it too obviously how money hungry they are.  They should have known better, they should have actually tested outside of their sterile cozy office and actually made real world Dojo examples so as to avoid the obvious problems with this new addition.  You can't find problems if you don't look for them.

What should have happened was DE releasing a comprehensive rework of the entire Dojo system along with the dry dock, end of story.  They should have asked Youtubers and vets what would have been a good idea, you know interview actual players not their staff that never even plays the game to find out if this or that would work.  I can not stand people that spout the falsehood that DE "listens" rarely do they and when they do they make a big show of it.  They could have done some real effort but instead just like the Lich system released a half baked idea to the public and did the type "AAA" thing which is fix is later.  Shameful.

Edited by Hawk1911

2 minutes ago, Hawk1911 said:

how money hungry they are.

I can't take your comment seriously because of this alone.  When I first started playing, and even to this day, I was amazed by how "generous" (read: reasonable) their prices are.  You get what amounts to a character slot for $1.33 or less (depending on how much plat you buy at the time).  The game I came from, Guild Wars 2, a character slot costs $10, six times as much.  

No. [DE] is actually down right reasonable with their monetization. Especially considering you can trade for platinum in-game.

As for your other point, would you rather than not be releasing Railjack? I would love to see them go back and polish up their old content (and I would murder for Dojo 2.0), but their resources are finite, just as with any game company.  They have to choose between making new and exciting (though almost certainly buggy) new content and going back to polish up the old stuff.  Occasionally we get a person or a small team who gets some free time and does something for old content, but sadly that's just how it's going to be. (Unless you want them to stop making new content. Then I have no words for you.)

And honestly, if you hate Warframe as much as you seem to, might I suggest going to a different game? Either temporarily or just indefinitely. You don't seem to be having fun, so why waste your time?

I have numbers on the Dry Dock bounds.  They are straight up bonkers.

Aside from the 224m width, which is apparent from the map view, the far end of its bounding box is 1.4 kilometers back.  To put that in perspective, here it is compared to the Observatory (Warning, this is a hilariously long image): 

Spoiler

S7HHzYn.png

Here's a screenshot of me standing at the far end of this bounding box:

Spoiler

The little square in the distance is the dry dock, everything else is the skybox.

QUmlSxw.jpg

They obviously just wanted to make it completely impractical to build anything around the other side of your Dry Dock, unless you can build 45 long corridors, which I'm sure some one will.

That aside, what everyone's really having trouble with is the vertical size.  The Dry Dock's bounding box extends 200m above and 200m below ground floor.  According to my testing, one floor is around 64m.  Here's the Dry Dock's vertical size, compared with the Observatory:

Spoiler

aKvneBu.png

This thing looks awesome but it's just crazy stupid big. @AeliosZero, I don't know when you're getting back, but there's probably not going to be a realistic way to represent the true size of this thing in the Dojo Planner.

Edited by Buff00n
  • Like 1

From what you say, actual drydock size is way out of scale with its apparent volume...

just to know: there is any way to rotate an existing room without destroying and rebuilding it? due to how tiny the preview window when placing new rooms is, I ended building my drydockrotated 90° counterclockwise so every thime I enter the room from its "main" door I've got to jog one and a half side to two full sides of its lenght to reach the consoles...

Teleporter is coocking now but still...

Edited by Ikusias

4 hours ago, Ikusias said:

From what you say, actual drydock size is way out of scale with its apparent volume...

just to know: there is any way to rotate an existing room without destroying and rebuilding it? due to how tiny the preview window when placing new rooms is, I ended building my drydockrotated 90° counterclockwise so every thime I enter the room from its "main" door I've got to jog one and a half side to two full sides of its lenght to reach the consoles...

Teleporter is coocking now but still...

I did the same failure when I built it for the first time. In fact, you can see how it placed before resource contribution to the build (and cancel it if it's wrong).

In case you contributed all and the build is going - only want to complete (or rush for 7 (15?) plat for immediate build) and then wait to demolish for 2 hours (unable to rush), and start it over. i.e. the is no way to rotate already built room. and if you put any buildings to the "hands" of the dry deck - you'll need to destroy them too before you can do it with deck.

5 hours ago, Ikusias said:

just to know: there is any way to rotate an existing room without destroying and rebuilding it?

Yeah, there's no way to rotate a room in place without nuking it and doing it over again.

5 hours ago, Ikusias said:

due to how tiny the preview window when placing new rooms is, I ended building my drydockrotated 90° counterclockwise so every thime I enter the room from its "main" door I've got to jog one and a half side to two full sides of its lenght to reach the consoles...

I almost did that several times as well.  The preview map when you're picking a room is so small that all three Dry Dock orientations look essentially the same.  However, that preview is based on your current view direction, so if you turn almost 90 degrees to the door before hitting the 'Add Room' button then you can see enough of the Dry Dock off to the side to know which direction it's facing.  Just another way it's impractically huge.

Edited by Buff00n

10 hours ago, Buff00n said:

Yeah, there's no way to rotate a room in place without nuking it and doing it over again.

I almost did that several times as well.  The preview map when you're picking a room is so small that all three Dry Dock orientations look essentially the same.  However, that preview is based on your current view direction, so if you turn almost 90 degrees to the door before hitting the 'Add Room' button then you can see enough of the Dry Dock off to the side to know which direction it's facing.  Just another way it's impractically huge.

This almost makes it mandatory to spend platinum to rush room building. So when you disassemble rooms to move them around, you can get the plat refunded and can spend it on rushing the same room again. The only hiccup is the two-hour deconstruction delay.

On 2019-11-25 at 1:26 AM, Ikusias said:

Did the same as well 🙂  After destructing it again, the 2nd time I pressed "Rotate", only to find out it was still not oriented OK; the 3rd time I pressed rotate twice and now the entrance is in the middle of the dry dock.

The massive length of the thing is probably intentional, as in: you need a lot of entry space to let big space ships fly in.  Maybe it'll get a function once we can fly the railjacks?  Maybe we get to see the dojo from the outside when landing?  In that case a small size of the drydock would mean ship entry would fly through other rooms placed behind it.

On 2019-11-25 at 10:05 PM, Buff00n said:

I've confirmed you can't build anything above your Dry Dock until you're four floors above it.  I am not going to double check the rest of my bounds numbers because this was a huge pain in the neck.

Could you be a little more specific with respect to that (I'm on Switch, so I don't really know what you mean, though I did see your previous comment with the diagram)?

Are you saying that we can't add new rooms at all until we make four more floors? Or are you saying that we can't add any rooms above the Drydock unless we're four rooms above? Perhaps I'm being an idiot and it's an obvious answer (and I apologize if that is the case), but I just want to make sure I understand correctly.

38 minutes ago, (NSW)MasterJ93 said:

Could you be a little more specific with respect to that (I'm on Switch, so I don't really know what you mean, though I did see your previous comment with the diagram)?

Are you saying that we can't add new rooms at all until we make four more floors? Or are you saying that we can't add any rooms above the Drydock unless we're four rooms above? Perhaps I'm being an idiot and it's an obvious answer (and I apologize if that is the case), but I just want to make sure I understand correctly.

You can't build a room directly above your Dry Dock unless that room is four floors above your Dry Dock.

Edited by Buff00n

Hey all! Been really busy sorting out life things but I find it really encouraging to hear you all talking about the new dojo content here!

Just want to chip in and say I'll be making sure I release an update with my current 1.1 progress (Excluding my half-baked features that currently do more harm than good) as well as the updated content from the latest Warframe release. Its important to me to do my best to keep this app up to date with the game. For future updates I am probably going to try and release smaller more frequent updates rather than large updates that risk not being released since I can't know for certain what dramas life might throw on me all of a sudden. 

Wow I knew the Railjack hangar was big but that is just insane! I'll definitely need to balance the overwhelming visual effect this room causes but it's still important to me to make sure the information is displayed as accurately as possible. I'll figure out some sort of way to hide the true bounds when the player doesn't want to see it but show them if they want to see the true size of this crazy room. I'm sure you're all itching to plan things with the new content yourselves (I don't know where the frick to put my Railjack hangar in my dojo! The space I planned for it doesn't fit!) so I'll do my best to release something as soon as I am able to! 

Edited by AeliosZero
  • Like 1