Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Announcement] New Free Dojo Planner!

AeliosZero

Question

New Dojo Planning tool, including Railjack Hangar, In the works!
jDrVOVE.jpg
Greetings fellow Tenno! Whether you are a Tenno considering founding their own clan and building their own dojo, or you are a veteran Moon-clan Leader wondering how the new railjack hangar will fit in your existing dojo, or anything in between, I believe you will find this tool useful.
For a while now I have been developing a new dojo planner. I want to make one that address the issues that exist with the dojo planners currently out there, namely that they are:
  • Out of date,
  • Have issues that stop rooms being properly aligned,
  • Are a little clunky to use,
  • Let the user produce designs that don't actually work in Warframe.

On top of making a program that is simple to use, I really want to make sure that the dojos people design can actually be built in-game, so that they don't have to spend weeks building out their dream dojo, only to have to spend more weeks tearing it all down because of some unforeseeable issue the game had with their room placement. I've gone through this and I want to save others from having to go through what I have. 

Here's a List of some features I have implemented/plan to implement:
  • User-friendly experience when using the app
  • Allow user to quickly prototype different layouts and ideas
  • Show visible Room Bounds to indicate whether a room will actually fit (Visible in red while in build mode)
  • Grid snapping to ensure all rooms line up how they should
  • Node snapping to speed up design process
  • Show warnings when a room:
    • Intersects another room, including ones the user thinks should fit in the space
    • Can't be placed due to Pre-requisites
    • Is impossible to make due to energy/capacity (i.e: Running out of energy before building the rooms you need to place in order to place more reactors)
    • Hits the 100 room cap
    • Intersects a room above/below the one the user is trying to place

I want to give a big-shout out to @Buff00n for all his help tediously figuring out the collisions of each room and making the room graphics and recording the UI Sounds used in this project. This tool wouldn't be nearly as good as it is right now if it wasn't for his hard work! 

I don't have a solid release date yet but it is nearly complete and could take anywhere between a few days to a month depending on unforeseen issues and user interest.

This tool will be free, in order to keep this tool accessible to as many people as possible, however if you wanted to show your support through donations or in-game plat/items I would be tremendously grateful for it! Even just mentioning this to people who you think would find this handy would be very helpful to me! I want to get this tool in the hands of the people who need it most so mentioning it to others would be a huge boost! If you would like to help me by play-testing an early version, or offering your opinion on design decisions, hit me up with a DM!

1.1 Progress Log (Will be updated live):

Here's some changes I have completed / plan to implement for the next release (1.1.0). Completed | In-progress | To Complete |

• Much Greater Zoom Distance
  • Swapped camera over to a true Orthographic view (as opposed to a far away perspective, which broke when zooming out any further than the current limit)
    • The Zooming and panning system also had to be redone from scratch and will behave differently because of this . 
  • A few remapped controls. Made left-clicking on empty space function as panning (doesn't work in construction or while hovering over a piece to avoid conflicts) middle click to pan also always pans as an extra redundant control. I might make it right-click at some point but a lot of things rely on right click right now and it could get messy.
  • Added a [X] button in the top right corner. I'd ideally like a confirmation prompt before closing but this takes a lot of effort (I have to make UI from scratch) and I don't have the patience for it right now. If this feels pointless or causes problems let me know.
  • Capacity and Energy now turn red when negative as a better visual indicator. 
  • Rearranged UI elements into what I think is a more sensible layout. Might put Dojo stats back on top if I add a bunch of other tools at the bottom.
  • Redesigning Grid texture out of a sine wave rather than a texture for better scaling, performance and to slightly reduce precious file-size. Currently dealing with a major flickering issue at larger distances.  I give up on this because its too difficult to implement.
  • Adding a 'build last placed' button that will allow you to rebuild the last piece you used 
  • Some more optimisations and file culling to reduce filesize (It's big because I'm using unreal engine 4 to make this and I know I could have used something simpler but tbh I understand UE4 the best. If I tried making this using some other method, the learning curve would probably prevent me from making anything at all). This just takes time because if I remove the wrong thing, everything breaks. 
  • Currently fixing the Oracle and Tenno labs. They had odd numbered lengths and therefore were centering at the wrong point. A simple offset value should fix it IT IS NOT THIS SIMPLE TO FIX! STUPID CODE!
  • Multiple floor support with overlays for the floor above and below it. Some buttons to travel between available floors. I'll need to make the elevator down spawn an elevator up room below it and vice versa which will help avoid complications. I'll also need to create a variable for each room object to record its 'height'  and have them load and unload when the user changes floors; some complicated stuff here but this would be a really neat feature that I haven't seen in any other dojo editor. This also paves the way for making collision checks between multiple stories which would be invaluable for dojo planning.
  • Upgrade load menu to a list format of some kind. Ideally this would be a filetype you can save/load with windows explorer like most programs but I haven't learnt how to do this yet.
  • Block Keyboard input while in Save/Load Menu
  • Make Load delete all rooms before loading I tried doing this already but it failed horribly. 
  • Add in Toggle snap function and hopefully figure out the cause of the mysterious snapping issues which have evaded me so far. 
  • Fix the issues with moving objects and make the code compatible with the place object code (Things broke when trying to use the placement code for moving things, so currently the move code is a stripped back version of the placement code) 
  • Text Tool to place text 'objects' in the world. I'll add other useful inserts like colour and stuff in a future update.
Edited by AeliosZero
  • Like 25

Ended up demolishing most of my dojo in preparation for the room, and through this planner designed a pretty sweet setup. Enjoyed using the planner to design this, as trying to do it manually likely wouldn't have been as thought out. Rebuilding the dry dock 4 times was a pain though.

Spoiler

Kept my original legacy rooms on the bottom floor, but the second floor up was fully retrofit. Still need to replace the hundreds of decorations but this plan is so much more interesting to go through than my previous vertical build. Plans are to decorate the labs first, then move to the hallways and short hallway end caps ("storage rooms" I'm thinking) and the gardens, ending with the halls. Think the only difference is I had 2 smaller halls in place of the hallways north and south of the hall of honor. T junction is the trade room since that one isn't in yet. Only issues I had was the lower floor glancing the dry dock and observatory, so the clan halls were used to extend it further out.

qTH9QCK.png

Edited by NeithanDiniem
  • Like 1

@AeliosZero: I'd like to start with saying what amazingly great work you did

• Personally I (for some reason) despise use of the middle mouse button. It doesn't work for me anyway 🙂 Can I suggest panning with WASD? At the moment I'm panning using the inconsistency someone mentioned about zooming in and out ^^
  • When first trying out seriously it told me I've exceeded the room limit. Although I just recreated my actual Dojo. Difference is that due to lacking multiple floors I started that just a bit next to the ground floor
  • I read the whole thread and either I've missed it or it really isn't yet possible to have multiple levels. I just made the second level next to it without any connection. Didn't add an elevator to that one either because it seemed pbvious that would lead to miscalucaltions.
  • Your video has much thinner tool bars, much smaller buttons and much smaller text. On my screen it's really huge. I'd suggest having that as the first options in the by now non-functional options: Scaling of controls 🙂
  • I'm adding a screenshot - and please don't anybody shame me for the crappy Dojo, I just started two weeks ago ^^
    Spoiler

2560x1440

guMJBLs.png

• Ending my wall of text to you with a probably VERY stupid question. You're doing this in Unreal engine. For the multi-level view would it be possible to not be restricted to the top-view? I don't even mean dynamic angles, more like isometric fixed angle or something. Not even suggesting that seriously, just wondering as it might visualize height issues in a very clear way.

@Buff00n: Do you have the dimensions of all those rooms somewhere where we could look them up? Especially the heights in floors?

38 minutes ago, the_floutsch said:

@Buff00n: Do you have the dimensions of all those rooms somewhere where we could look them up? Especially the heights in floors?

I actually have the floor and ceiling heights in meters, to the best of my ability to measure, where one full story is 64m.  It produces mostly the correct results as far as which rooms can be built above and below which other rooms. That's not a simple question:  You can't put most rooms directly above an Observatory, but some of the smaller ones will fit.  Similarly, you can't put some rooms directly below a reactor, but others will fit.  Yes, I tested every combination in my own dojo.

Note that the only room whose height spans more than one floor is the Dry Dock, and even then it's not simple.  It's 200m high across its whole bounding box, blocking the three floors above it.  But it's floor actually starts out at 80m down, blocking one floor and part of a second, then drops to 200m down, blocking three floors, towards the end of the visible dry dock on your map.   

The situation is complicated enough that you really need a tool to figure things out, which is what @AeliosZero and I are trying to build.

I keep my data in a very detailed json file that I'm currently using for my own project.  You can look at it if you want, but it's not exactly human-friendly. 

Meters is fine, too. As you also gave story height

vor 20 Stunden schrieb Buff00n:

The situation is complicated enough that you really need a tool to figure things out, which is what @AeliosZero and I are trying to build.

I can't repeat often enough how awesome that is. Your project is really great!

Also, as I've just sent some bucks AeilosZero's way, can I do the same with you? It's one thing asking for donations, but I'm asking you to take some 🙂

vor 20 Stunden schrieb Buff00n:

I keep my data in a very detailed json file that I'm currently using for my own project.  You can look at it if you want, but it's not exactly human-friendly. 

JSON is fine. Actually, that's great! I'm ion no way an application programmer but with that I can perfectly create my personal overview table. Awesome, thank you!

I'm currently in the process of demolishing and reconstructing to make fine adjustments to room layouts and future proofing for the speculated "Lich" rooms for the Corpus and Infested and I decided to use this app instead of some of the other websites that offer dojo planners, and I noticed that the building cap is wrong in the app. After 100 rooms, I get an error message stating that I've gone over the cap, but the cap is 128, not 100. I am just under 120 rooms, so in reality I am still fine, and I'm glad the app still lets me add rooms even though it says it's wrong, but you should change this error message so people who are not aware of the real cap do not change or destroy things when it's not necessary.

For all of you who are interested, I know its quite late but I finally made an update for the Dojo planner! you can find it here! 

This includes the new rooms, data, and various control and UI changes/fixes. I added multi level support as well as some efficiency improvements that may be marginal thanks to the new stuff I added but hopefully its better. Theres still some prevalent bugs like a recent wobble glitch that formed but it should still be quite solid to use!

https://aelioszero.itch.io/warframe-dojo-designer

Le 22/08/2019 à 13:55, Caine2112 a dit :

DE, hire this person!  This should be integrated into the game.

@OP, is there any way for you to render a 3D rotatable model to see how each room fits into the 2D grid?  I ask because my dojo is 4 levels high and some rooms won't fit under one another due to height constraints.  It's very tough to tell where rooms are below and above.

It would be nice to have creative mode to see all rooms and decorations before you paid with resources.