Jump to content
V0LDY

MONTHS have passed and melee is still a complete mess

Recommended Posts

As title says, melee is still a mess after the changes they made some time ago.

The channeling in particular is infuriating to use now that there is no option to channel by pressing instead of a toggle, the problem is that in game it's basically impossible to understand if you are channeling or not while stuff blows up around you, plus it bugs really often in a perpetually toggled state.

That would be the first and most important criticism, but also the easist to address. Just give the player the option to turn off channel toggle like we have on sprint and aim.

Second, many weapons became basically unuseable because of how weird their combos are, stuff like Hirudo used to be situationally good and now it's just a spinning mess impossible to use.

  • Like 6
  • Haha 4
  • Applause 5
  • Upvote 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only change I hate is that using the old block combos marks your frame to pull out the weapon as soon as you stop attacking..

Fix: just unmark the frame when using normal attacks after the block combos 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Channeling always sucked, then we got mods that did some much damage nobody cared anymore. 

  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started playing after several years' break a few weeks before melee 2.9999 dropped. It went from "meleeing things is fun!" to "meleeing things locks me into elaborate combo moves that I didn't actually want to do" very quickly 😔

  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Melee 3.0 was just an excuse to kill Quick Melee. Nothing more. No one used combos, cause they are terrible, so DE just decided to force us to do it. That's all Melee 3.0 is.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Satisfied 1
  • Woah 2
  • Applause 9
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, V0LDY said:

As title says, melee is still a mess after the changes they made some time ago.

The channeling in particular is infuriating to use now that there is no option to channel by pressing instead of a toggle, the problem is that in game it's basically impossible to understand if you are channeling or not while stuff blows up around you, plus it bugs really often in a perpetually toggled state.

That would be the first and most important criticism, but also the easist to address. Just give the player the option to turn off channel toggle like we have on sprint and aim, it's literally a 5 minutes fix, I don't understand why this hasn't been done yet since I've seen other people asking for the same thing!

Second, many weapons became basically unuseable because of how weird their combos are, stuff like Hirudo used to be situationally good and now it's just a spinning mess impossible to use.

I am lucky because I love using Edo Prime armor set... so whenever I channel, I see all those lightnings coming out of my Warframe and I know with certainty that I am channeling.

Though I agree with you. Channeling as a pressing instead of a toggle was much better for melee users. 

  • Applause 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Naughty naughty. Turn your capslock key off.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sungod1 said:

Channeling always sucked, then we got mods that did some much damage nobody cared anymore. 

All the people I know that play Warframe use channeling for Life Strike, so don't tell me people don't use it.
Currently it's broken. If they want to get rid of it then do it and replace it with something else, but leaving it in its current state (and not just focus, the overall melee aspect of the game) is ridiculous and a strong remark to prove how little they care about player experience apparently... 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 минут назад, sinnae сказал:

I started playing after several years' break a few weeks before melee 2.9999 dropped. It went from "meleeing things is fun!" to "meleeing things locks me into elaborate combo moves that I didn't actually want to do" very quickly 😔

this. so much this. same situation, with fast melee attacking and old system it was so much fun to use melee.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the new melee a lot more then the old. I guess I’m the only 1 who would do dedicated melee builds? The ability to swap from the gun to full melee is great and much needed. The channeling problem is also from before so ya still needs a fix.

i would just like channeling on or off and tuning out of mana won’t shut it off it’ll just stop having an effect till you get more mana. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BDMblue said:

The channeling problem is also from before so ya still needs a fix.

Not at all, you could have it so that channeling was active only WHILE you were pressing the button (just like you need to hold down the sprint or the aim button), now that option is gone for no reason at all and it's a mess.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's... ...okay. Has pros and cons. I like the instant switching and combo counter carrying, while my impression of auto-block is mixed. Wukong rework also shows promise for the simplified combos. I don't use Channeling much.

I do understand, however, that this is very much WIP, and DE have bigger fishes to fry. Can't do much but keep reminding them about it and wait, I'm afraid.

Edited by KnossosTNC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gabbynaru said:

Melee 3.0 was just an excuse to kill Quick Melee. Nothing more. No one used combos, cause they are terrible, so DE just decided to force us to do it. That's all Melee 3.0 is.

This guy gets the gist

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Bring quick melee back is my stance to every melee 2.9999 thread. Forcing full combo mode on everyone is absurd. I never liked combos and I'll never like them, let me have quick melee back please.

Edited by LeaserResael
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not just pump up the numbers on all weapons so it will be like having channeling on all the time AND discard the channeling alltogether? for Life Strike and stuff like that just change it to critical based and that's it, its counterpart being Healing Return would make sense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VanFanel1980mx said:

Why not just pump up the numbers on all weapons so it will be like having channeling on all the time AND discard the channeling alltogether? for Life Strike and stuff like that just change it to critical based and that's it, its counterpart being Healing Return would make sense.

And what about the beautiful lightnings coming from the Edo Prime armor while channeling? Make them constant? Would love that. 

About life strike being crit based, would be much better than while channeling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BLI7Z said:

And what about the beautiful lightnings coming from the Edo Prime armor while channeling? Make them constant? Would love that. 

About life strike being crit based, would be much better than while channeling. 

The lighting stuff could be added to a generic ephemera that glows for a while after using abilities or the like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, VanFanel1980mx said:

The lighting stuff could be added to a generic ephemera that glows for a while after using abilities or the like.

But the nice thing about that armor set is that it can be used alongside ephemeras. And I guess a lot of people bought those accesories from the pack because of that specific effect. I would feel bad if they removed it or made it a simple ephemera. I know this is slightly offtopic, but all points must be taken into consideration if they are going to make some big changes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BLI7Z said:

But the nice thing about that armor set is that it can be used alongside ephemeras. And I guess a lot of people bought those accesories from the pack because of that specific effect. I would feel bad if they removed it or made it a simple ephemera. I know this is slightly offtopic, but all points must be taken into consideration if they are going to make some big changes. 

In any case channeling would need to be a purely cosmetic effect, when melee 3.0 was being worked on I thought the idea of "devil trigger" was also pretty bad on itself, melee may be hard hitting nowadays but it is still high risk with low reward, specially against infested which seem to always hurt you upon death, they are also aiming to kill combo counter too, if Iron Staff is a sample of how it goes their gap closers are the clunkiest implementation I have seen, rather than gap closers I would prefer to have a "stinger" move which is faster the problem with melee nailing you in place also stems from the poor range most weapons have, other combos are just plain terrible and detrimental, Slicing Feathers is a big offender, Twirling Spire is only good if your ASPD goes to 1.20 or above, some stances even seem to force you back so you will miss instead of preserving a bit of your forward momentum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VanFanel1980mx said:

In any case channeling would need to be a purely cosmetic effect, when melee 3.0 was being worked on I thought the idea of "devil trigger" was also pretty bad on itself, melee may be hard hitting nowadays but it is still high risk with low reward, specially against infested which seem to always hurt you upon death, they are also aiming to kill combo counter too, if Iron Staff is a sample of how it goes their gap closers are the clunkiest implementation I have seen, rather than gap closers I would prefer to have a "stinger" move which is faster the problem with melee nailing you in place also stems from the poor range most weapons have, other combos are just plain terrible and detrimental, Slicing Feathers is a big offender, Twirling Spire is only good if your ASPD goes to 1.20 or above, some stances even seem to force you back so you will miss instead of preserving a bit of your forward momentum.

Yeah, many combos don't feel good and swift. But there are others that feel really nice, like the Atlantis Vulcan, it feels very swift. It's good they are taking their time with melee 3.0. I am hoping that they are doing good modifications to the mechanics behind the scenes, so when the update hits, we can really enjoy a better melee system. 

About melee being high risk with low reward, I disagree with that. I'm always meleeing and, with the life strike/quick thinking/rage combo, melee is very hard hitting without much risks. 

They should think over many movements of the actual combos so it is really rewarding and fast paced to use the combos and going fully melee with the new mechanics to be released. The flow of movements and chained attacks is very important; if something is detrimental, without an actual reward in playstyle, any change would be pointless. 

One good thing might be every combo having independent moves than can be chained, so different kinds of tactics can be used. Something like a fighting game and how combos work there. It isn't just 3 or 4 specific chain of attacks than can be spammed, but active combos being executed on the run, each individual attack having its own way of interacting with the previous or next attack... giving lots of personalization regarding the situation and preference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, V0LDY said:

Not at all, you could have it so that channeling was active only WHILE you were pressing the button (just like you need to hold down the sprint or the aim button), now that option is gone for no reason at all and it's a mess.

Sorry ya I meant the ability not to see if it’s on or off. :S 

i changed my game long before the change to be toggled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still would like a setting in options to have guns and melee separated like they were before. As in, the option makes it so RMB no longer swaps to your gun and you press what ever key to swap between weapons like before. It's annoying having to press E to bring out melee weapon, especially anytime I press RMB for movement because then I have to press E after every single time I do that.

"Don't equip a gun" is a stupid solution too, especially when melee weapons don't work 100% of the time.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all say that the solution on all fronts is to bring back Quick Melee. We all know that DE wanted to get rid of it for some asinine reason so that'll never happen and we're stuck with a broken mess for the foreseeable future.

  • Haha 2
  • Applause 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe it was asked (again) in last devstream, and it was (again) answered by something cryptic like "we are investigating something".

It's okay guys, clearly everything is under control and going as planned! 😄 

I remember over a year ago when I started playing WF, my brother who introduced me to it all said he was so hyped for this thing called Melee 3.0 that was in the workings. Today he doesn't play anymore, much because of how they messed up channeling, controls, and quick attacks in the little change they've done so far. GG DE. 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't particularly use channeling, most builds are already tight and don't have space for more mods,

so I haven't really invested in channeling even before the rework. 

But It does irk me when I am using a gun with alt fire, it happens more often than not that when I want to shoot something with alt fire I start channeling instead, and I don't even get what's happening for half a second in the middle of a fight. 

Imagine you are fighting with Corinth, you are shooting enemies and there happen to be a few that have grouped up nearby, one stray butcher closes in you melee him, you look back at the group and shoot the airburst and nothing happens. You panic wondering if your frame has glitched, you try to use transference, it work fine, you then realise you needed to aim. 

You make this face  😐 

You keep playing , until it happens again, now you are getting frustrated, once you are done you remove the weapon with alt fire to avoid breaking your gunplay. 

We need more separation of actions so we can bind the useless effects to some other buttons by default. 

The overall state of melee feels very lacking, the stances might be cool and all but cool will become mundane in 5 minutes if it is not equally effective or actually beneficial during gameplay (I liked the gunsens basic combo foe whole of 20 seconds before the fanning started becoming annoying) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...