Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

MONTHS have passed and melee is still a complete mess

V0LDY

8 minutes ago, Northern_Psycho said:

Exactly. I used the Silva and Aegis prime A TON.
Had a great Riven for it, lots of status/Condition Overload. That thing could melt anything with only a few hits!
Now i don't even want to touch it because of the dumb stance that i farmed my butt off for. Final Harbinger's combos makes you fly faster away than Gauss' max running speed. Same for Galatine. The block combo and pause combo sends you away 100 meters from the enemies.

Now i just use a Plague Kripath on a stick (like everyone else), cuz it doesn't have those extreme momentum combos. But hey, so much for variaty, right?

magnetism also really needs to be fitted onto the gunblades. right now the only thing people use the damn things for is charge attacks, notably because hitting something with them is like cosplaying Yosemite Sam.

giphy.gif

lots of shooting and no hitting jack. So again, maybe if those random shots in the combos actually hit something, people wouldn't just spam the charge attacks. hit magnetism would do a lot to fix a lot of what is wrong with the melee system. Right now, people use those high range broad sweeping weapons one, because they handle crowds better, and two, because you spend too much swatting at flies with other melee weapons, you're just standing their dancing with a sword and half the time you hit nothing. 

Spent about 2 hrs last night trying to make a saryn/javlok/silva & aegis build to use the new javlok amalgam mod (yes, I am that bored).   Was an absolute sh!t show.  Am I channelling, am I not channelling?  How the f do I actually channel (Not a feature I've used much in the past tbh), why am I not channelling anymore, why is their no block animation, why am I dead again.  And so on.

As for combos, I actively try and not launch into combos now as if you do you have no idea what part of the map it'll launch you to.   I've died more often because of combos than I can remember. 

I like the ground slams.  I like switching and keeping your combo counter.  But it's typical DE that they get two parts right and break two parts at the same time.  Then never go back to fix the parts they broke. 

My expectations are low.  Maybe melee 3.0 after duviri. 

Been waiting a long time on melee 3.0 to be finished.  Over a year at this point?  I don't particularly like that they rolled out a 2.9999 version that ruined guardian derision because you can't block unless you have just a melee equipped and nothing else/no thank you to that plan outside a melee only sortie mission.  

Channeling has always been garbage, the only point to it is life strike healing or as mentioned in this thread edo prime armor special effects that should just be constant whether you're channeling or not if you're swinging a melee weapon around.  

Some of these stance combo's are completely unuseable as well in practical combat situations, like polearms are horrible, gunblades are awful, really the only things that work well for me at this point are rapiers and heavy blades (cleaving whirlwind) because you know where you're going to hit with your weapon/right where you're aiming.  

The biggest issue is that you don't get people excited by redoing a system in the game, that isn't content.  So I suspect melee 3.0 just keeps getting thrown on the backburner in lieu of real stuff that people legitimately want as well like new war and railjack.  On top of that, it's a massive undertaking to look at every single melee weapon they have released over the years and update the stats on them like when they did primary, secondary, and beam weapon changes across the board.  Melee has the most weapons out of any type because they seem to love putting out a ton of garbage melees.  Really all I want at this point is for dual swords not to suck because their range is less then the length of my forearm somehow.  

En 24/8/2019 a las 17:40, zruncho dijo:

I decided to shoot some enemies in the face with my redeemer. Now it auto block when you look at them so I couldn't shoot and went down. As everything Warframe the new melee system has potential but is half-assed and if my experience is any indicator it will be half-assed for long a time still. 

the autoblock is the part that i deeply dislike about it, yeah

Channeling always sucked. It was semi-legit back when frames and melee weapons overall were alot weaker, and life strike mod was a thing. I'm talking about 2015 or something. Even then 99% of the channeling mods were redundant. 

I enjoy melee in  general, especially with a decent stance, but it is nowhere near optimal.

Melee needs animation cancelling, more fluid and dynamic combos(string different combo styles one after another) and channeling rework. Also charge attacks need more love.

If you're not someone who listens to music while you play, there is a very distinct sound that occurs while you are attacking with a channeled weapon. It is extremely easy to tell even in the loudest content. And since you only lose energy while attacking an enemy during channeling, one random swing to check if you're channeling won't cost you anything. Also, even if you do hit an enemy, you'll only lose 5 energy. If you are someone who listens to something else while playing, then there is a visible energy trail which extends from your weapon when you have it equipped. So I don't get why you wouldn't be able to tell when you're (let's be honest, accidentally) channeling.

Other than that, I can fully agree on the complete uselessness of channeling. Even the cool sound and visual effects don't change the fact that you're losing energy with each hit. It's also useless just because melee is already so OP to the point that the extra damage channeling adds is completely useless, plus you're using a #*!% load of energy even when you're wasting mod slots for the crap channeling mods.

It could be improved by giving other buffs other than damage, such as attack speed, crit chance, and/or status chance. Maybe it requires a you to have specific amount of energy to activate and deactivates if you go below a lower-set limit. Of course those limits have to take in account individual warframe energy capacities without Flow / Primed Flow and all other energy boosting effects. Or it could be used to increase drop chance, which may make up for it's current horrid energy consumption, though I would bring it down to 2 energy per hit and keep the damage bonus. I think those are good places to start.

I also want to state one last thing, it's infinitely more effective to follow criticism with ways the topic being criticized can be improved.