Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will DE ever release usage numbers again?

Bioness

14 minutes ago, Bioness said:

Title

I would assume they will release some numbers again. It might be in five years time though, who knows?

It is not something they seem to make a habit of doing. Watch the streams, sometimes they have usage stats on those.

What would be the use of them releasing it, except as ammo to be used against them?

The players routinely throw even the most minor throwaway lines in stream back at them as broken promises and personal attacks. What does DE gain with releasing info that is only useful to them anyways?

Will they? Almost certainly, eventually there will be a reason for them to consider showing us such stats again.

But I doubt we'll ever get stats like this shown regularly, especially not regarding weapon usage as people would try and twist various riven based arguments using that data.

Though also worth noting is that the frame data they did show was criticized for being inaccurate due to an event that took place right before it; everyone believed Loki's stats were inflated because of his usefulness event. So unless the data is near constantly updated people would find it pointless because of something with an event, nightwave, new content, etc.

Edited by trst

I don't think DE will release any numbers that can ever be uses to skew a single bit of Warframe in a negative light. that said, only 5.7% of steam users have completed 3 sorties or more. And 1.3% of Warframe users on steam have Grand Master achievement AKA MR30 when softcap is still 27. 

So true percentage might be 4.4% do 3 or more sorties. 

Only 26.6% have made it to MR2. but again feel free to minus 1.3% possibly. I dunno, I guess I'm getting why new player experience rework is a thing. 

Edited by Fire2box

35 minutes ago, (XB1)Thy Divinity said:

Why?

It will only either lead to griefing or bragging, and I see little use for either tbh.

For me personally, I find information like that to be fun. It could also allow players to have a bigger view on the "Warframe ecosystem".

People already complain about overused and underused stuff, adding numbers to it would only change what they complain about.

Edited by Bioness

O helloo there old thread o mine.

They link starts from time to time so honestly it would not surprise me they did another at some point when they feel like showing it. Though it will probably be other stats. Would not mind a yearly rollout though. It was fun to make those sheets.

7 hours ago, Fire2box said:

I don't think DE will release any numbers that can ever be uses to skew a single bit of Warframe in a negative light. that said, only 5.7% of steam users have completed 3 sorties or more. And 1.3% of Warframe users on steam have Grand Master achievement AKA MR30 when softcap is still 27. 

So true percentage might be 4.4% do 3 or more sorties. 

Only 26.6% have made it to MR2. but again feel free to minus 1.3% possibly. I dunno, I guess I'm getting why new player experience rework is a thing. 

But Steam numbers are extremely bad to use as a metric for WF specifically because it works very differently compared to many other Steam games. Even the non-Steam players are lumped into parts of the statistics simply because they've linked their Steam in order to be able to buy Tennogen. It also doesnt account for the several users that have simply downloaded WF through Steam since "it is conveniant to have all game on the same launcher platform" and then never use Steam to launch it ever again.

If you dont have Steam Overlay active the achievments wont track properly either. So all achievement statistics should be taken with a grain of salt and the actual player numbers are far more interesting and accurate in order to give a clear picture of how well or bad WF is doing. Because those numbers show exactly how many are launching and playing the game through Steam at any given time, wether you have Overlay active or not.

They are seeing these stats all the day so they can figure out about the numbers what needs buffs or nerfs. The release of these stats don't really do so much to us because our usage is highly dependant on which frame / weapon / mods etc are useful and efficient. They can get the same numbers with some variations because the curiosity of the players make us to try different builds and items. 

Knowing that Banshee is not so popular or Gara how used or Equinox and Mesa popular frames does not says much to us because we cannot change on these only the devs can decide it is overuse or something needs to be balanced.

I know what I like to use and that is enough for me, not really bothers me if I see a stat what other players are using. We all are feel inside which is great, which is bad and which is broken ( in both ways ).

14 hours ago, peterc3 said:

What would be the use of them releasing it, except as ammo to be used against them? The players routinely throw even the most minor throwaway lines in stream back at them as broken promises and personal attacks.

By that logic they shouldn´t talk or post about anything game realted. There will always be something you can use as ammo.

14 hours ago, peterc3 said:

What does DE gain with releasing info that is only useful to them anyways?

The same thing they get with everything else posted on forums, social media and co. Interest.

For example eventhough most of the technical stuff posted by steave on twitter isn´t really relevant it´s interessting to see (at least for me) and a lot of people are into something simple like "my favourite warframes tier list" on youtube because they like to compare there choices with others.

Also you might find some unexpected things which could motivate for research (Why do people use it?, Is there some kind of build I don´t know about?, etc). And as far as I know poe releases those statistics every league (3 month) so it can´t be that bad unless warframes community is more toxic.

Edited by Arcira

5 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

Even the non-Steam players are lumped into parts of the statistics simply because they've linked their Steam in order to be able to buy Tennogen.

Really. You think people are downloading the stand alone client vs doing it on steam? Some people are losing their you know what because games go to epic for a single year. GTA5 is still a top seller on steam despite it forcing people to use rockstar social club anyways like retail PC versions do. Many PC gamers are Steam loyalists or at least perfer steam to going to some website and downloading a game off it. 

"but what about Discord client" you mean the thing that didn't exist like a year ago, that client? 

Edited by Fire2box

They showed a lot of stats in this years first devstream, and some at random occasions this past year. I don't get the impression that they are avoiding to show it. It seems more of a fun thing to show off and talk about whenever someone bothers to look it up and grab a bunch of screenshots for a stream or whatever.

If enough people bring it up and show interest in certain stats, I'm sure they will share at some point. It seems they struggle sometimes in devstreams to have things to talk about. 

22 hours ago, Fire2box said:

Really. You think people are downloading the stand alone client vs doing it on steam? Some people are losing their you know what because games go to epic for a single year. GTA5 is still a top seller on steam despite it forcing people to use rockstar social club anyways like retail PC versions do. Many PC gamers are Steam loyalists or at least perfer steam to going to some website and downloading a game off it. 

"but what about Discord client" you mean the thing that didn't exist like a year ago, that client? 

Around half the people use the SA launcher according to data dug up around july last year. So Steam statistics show what half the users have done before you start to account for how many of the Steam users are actually just SA users with a linked account, or how many are running without the overlay, or starting the launcher up outside of Steam while still having used Steam for the initial install.

Achievment statistics on Steam have always been poor and it is worse than poor in some games.

On 2019-08-23 at 9:29 PM, peterc3 said:

What would be the use of them releasing it, except as ammo to be used against them?

The players routinely throw even the most minor throwaway lines in stream back at them as broken promises and personal attacks. What does DE gain with releasing info that is only useful to them anyways?

You're not at all wrong, that definitely happens.  At times, it reaches far beyond childish.  Even still, I think having us see usage numbers can be extremely useful.

We should probably be working on the premise that virtually everything in the game is intended to get used.  Not only is this logical as a stand alone, but the fact that several in game items are tweaked and adjusted based on their usage or lack thereof backs up this idea.  If items aren't seeing their intended levels of usage, they tend to be the targets of adjustments, one way or another.

And yet, there is very often productive feedback to be gained from the awareness that we're not using something, or overusing it.  Take Vauban, for example.  He's functionally identical to what we once used very heavily in defense missions(his two being the only notable rework), and yet he's one of the least popular and used warframes today, as best we can see.  Generating discussions as to why this has happened helps make a better rework potential for Vauban, to better bring him into todays game.

Vauban is a good example of the whole gamut.  We see awful attacks and bashing on him, and yet we also see productive feedback on him.  A history of the game shows that feedback has shaped many things for the better, and an awareness that something is underutilized can target that to the places that we need.