Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why im not really excited for Empyrean

(PSN)ChaosTheNerd

At first i was just like everyone else when i saw railjack this tennocon, i was excited to get my hands on this new system, but in now that the excitement died down in me, im just not hyped anymore and here is my reason.

The massive updates that were released before has had the same issue as railjack, massive exciting updated and we cant wait for POE! or Fortuna! or, or the sacrifice! And when they come out, yes it looks fun it looks exciting, but after time, thats it. Sure de will pump out more updates and additions to this massive update but after time, it's just so boring. yeas railjack is going to be very different from the typical open world bounties but honestly, i see it all the same. Cool looking updates that look fun and engaging, but after time, its just so uninteresting.

Its all just style over substance with warframe. 

At first i did not want to come to terms with this statement as it seems a little extreme at first, but in all honesty, have any of these updates actually done anything engaging or long lasting? 

POE: looks cool and all but most of us go there for tridolons, not because the bounties are actually interesting or engaging at all, because theyre not

Fortuna: Basically POE covered in snow with big spider mommas and cool secondary guns. But thats it,....thats all there is.

Looking a railjack, looks cool and new, but after time it will just be thrown into the same pit with all the other stylized meaningless schlock

I dont care for how hard de works on these updates because if empyrean ends up the same as the other lifeless updates, then it will just prove the point of how blinded DE's direction with this game is.

I know there will be a few "special people" in the community that may wipe off this post as another complainer complaining about warframe, but i want to do something more that finishing my sortie and logging off. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, (PS4)ChaosTheNerd said:

I know there will be a few "special people" in the community that may wipe off this post as another complainer complaining about warframe, but i want to do something more that finishing my sortie and logging off. 

It is pretty easy to just say “this is another complainer complaining”. Do you know why? Because you provide no way to improve it. You are just complaining. I certainly don’t disagree with your statements, but you are just complaining. If you actually provided some proper, well thought out suggestions people might see your post differently.

Many games suffer from the same issue. Fancy new content is released -> People play it, enjoy it and then get bored -> The content is abandoned -> More fancy new content is released and the cycle repeats. How does a developer make the content enjoyable and long lasting?

• Like 17

I hope this time exploring the railjack areas is actually meaningful beyond some lore fragments. That was my issue a bit with Plains and Fortuna that the maps, as giant as they were, didnt really matter all that much. That's not to say that they didnt look cool, especially Fortuna is really beautiful. But it just doesnt matter in which part of the map a bounty sends you. Fortuna had it a tiny bit better with the different toroid zones. 

With the boss fights i do see a lot of potential there in both of the open world zones and ropalolyst capitalized on that aswell.

• Like 4

For me it's quite the opposite. I was initially not very interested, much because of how I didn't understand why they would spend all this time and effort on a system that seem more or less built upon the ridiculously bad gameplay that is archwing. 

Lately however I understand that the point is not in the actual content of it, but rather a new base mechanic of how we can navigate our way through the system and between nodes, and also expanding ways of how players are connected. It opens up tons of possibilities for future content. 

Is it worth it though? Who knows. It's a huge investment to be able to expand Warframe from the corridor-shooting that we are more than familiar with already, and hopefully they also make AW fun in the process. I don't see it as another drop of content, but an expansion of gameplay and the whole game engine.

Is it the right time to do this? I think that's the key question. Tbh they seem to be quite far into the development of this already. Granted they are releasing it bit by bit, but hopefully that is mainly referring to places for space-grind rather than the underlying tech that is the important part. They are definitely taking flak in the process though as they seem split between 3 major projects, not including Melee 3.0, the big engine update, and the new "new player experience" (whatever that even means), which is affecting the amount of content they are releasing to keep the community actively playing while waiting.

Both the New War and Duviri Paradox seem dependent on the tech that is coming with Empyrean though, so it will be a thing whether we like it or not. 

Edited by SirTobe
  • Like 2

I don't think it being fun for a while is a drawback. Some people burn out on stuff faster than others. For me the entire thing that got me playing Warframe in the first place was seeing how you can take over enemy ships entirely and fly them around. That's such a basic thing that has been missing from video games forever basically, with only a few exceptions.

PoE and OV are just slightly bigger planetary nodes, with some side activities. I think you may be expecting too much and seeking a kind of depth to this game that has never existed. It's alright to go play another game that scratches the itches Warframe can't.

• Like 2

You haven't even seen it or given it a chance and already you're bored. Sounds like there's not much you have to look forward to no matter what they make. Maybe you won't like it and maybe I won't either but at least I will give a game company that gives us a good game (for free btw) the chance it deserves before I blow it off completely.  

10 minutes ago, Dharlee said:

You haven't even seen it or given it a chance and already you're bored.

ive seen it, and its just like the other massive but potentially bland updates, could i be wrong? sure ill check it out ingame when i comes but im not exactly holding my hopes up.

13 minutes ago, Dharlee said:

but at least I will give a game company that gives us a good game (for free btw) the chance it deserves before I blow it off completely.  

i really hate the excuse of its just free i couldnt care less if its free i hold all games to the same standard

41 minutes ago, sinnae said:

PoE and OV are just slightly bigger planetary nodes, with some side activities. I think you may be expecting too much and seeking a kind of depth to this game that has never existed. It's alright to go play another game that scratches the itches Warframe can't.

i guess i expected to much from de to make an fortuna not a reskin of POE my kistake, i guess i had my hopes to high for de to make something interesting

• Like 1

I have expressed my lack of excitement for Railjack before. For me the problems I foresee with this new system are both from a technical and a gameplay standpoint.

Technically, this new game mode will try to integrate several different systems: spaceship control (with different roles), the dojo, archwing, the ability to ask for help from other teams (the "fishing team" we saw on that video) and the typical warframe control in enemy vessels while trying to fight new types of bosses who will "remember" the player from previous encounters. Plenty of stages will be required for an Empyrean session to complete. For me, this collection of systems makes the whole thing especially fragile: host migrations are already a problem (the extent can be argued of course) and in a series of fight stages lots of little technical aspects can go wrong, especially when some of those are not really tested by the playerbase.

From a gameplay standpoint: Empyrean will require actual cooperation and coordination from players. This is not a bad thing in itself, but in a game where none of it is really required to do any type of content this can prove problematic. In all missions so far, even those can be considered as "endgame", any player can assume any role and do pretty much anything (in fact, all game is solo-able); sure, synergies between different frames and styles helps a lot and makes things faster, but it's not necessary. Now imagine a situation where someone has to assume the role of the gunner, someone the navigator, someone has to fly with the archwing etc. ... I'm afraid we are heading for lots of toxicity and griefing. Actual cooperation requires that the mindset of the average Warframe player has to change.

Another example of this is the length of the Empyrean missions which seems to be long enough to be a problem for the people who want small gaming sessions. Again this requires a different mindset from the player. Again, the length in itself is not a bad thing.

Lastly, a personal gripe: my favorite part of Warframe is actually controlling the frames themselves, using skills and weapons. With Empyrean we get yet another system that even though adds variety (like operators or k-drives before) seems far less exciting to me. No matter how much operators have evolved, there is always this "meh" feeling I get when controlling mine.

Having said all that, I am not judging Empyrean yet. It hasn't been released. I will give it the chance it deserves and maybe I'll grow to be a big fan of it in the long run. I am just mentioning the reasons that don't make me excited.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, (PS4)ChaosTheNerd said:

i guess i expected to much from de to make an fortuna not a reskin of POE my kistake, i guess i had my hopes to high for de to make something interesting

Not sure what wizardry you expected out of DE from previous expansions when for the previous 4 years before PoE was new tile, shoot a guy, repeat. New simple boss repeat. New weapon repeat. The core has never changed. New parkour 2.0? that's great. Still just shooting goons for new weapons to shoot goons. New melee finally gets finished? Still just shredding goons.

Its not like Peter Molyneux or Sean Murray is talking up the expansions at Tennocon and saying things outside the scope of the game "Yeah all these empyrean grineer ships will be using special aggressive AI DNA that reacts to the player so its always difficult and no two missions will ever be technically the same" schlock. Its ship tiles in space with a space car to move you between tiles. It is what is it. PoE was a giant open tileset that wouldn't randomize. Yes OV is a snow version of the same idea. Just like every single planet is the same. The pieces are colored differently if you boil it down so much.

Warframe is warframe. What fantastical magic event did you expect to be a game changer? Because you sure didn't share anything to reinvent this wheel.

• Like 6

At OP. You just described what normally happens  playing games. It is natural to outgrow content and not liking parts of it.

Nevermind the bounties, but I consider PoEs Tridolons and OVs Orb challenges a success. The constant wailing of players dealing with them is enough proof. 

Now If you meant that the grind needed to square off with them is boring, then I am with you. DE already nerfed that upon the release of thumpers. OVs k-drive grind is also pointless.

Personally, both open world bosses delivered the right mix of problems for any would be hunters to solve. Of course, repetition makes the whole experience dull in the end, It is inevitable. But the itch to beat them never stops since a new idea with a different weapon or WF can offer a whole new experience. Fortunately, they are a far cry from the Ropalolyst. Now that is a glaring example of a disappointing hyped out boss that only felt cheap to beat after just a few rounds.

Empyrean is too far off yet but I can't wait to know how the story pan out. If Railjack rolls out seemlessly (as Steve said) like GTA in space, then I am all in. But time eats all that hype away and it can spark writing threads like this one. Patience is a virtue. You can easily achieve this by playing other games.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, (XB1)GaussPrime said:

I'm in a different boat, I didn't like railjack from the beginning. I'm more interested in the ground combat, and I dislike both archwing and the slow railjack. Everytime they show off it's gameplay I just turn either away or shut down the stream. Not looking forward to it..

I would be laughing if gauss turns out obtained from railjack

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

I mean.... im not looking forward to another Syndicate Grind even worse than the one in Fortuna.....

If it is fun content and not as RNG heavy I would prefer it to Fortuna any day of the week.

I'd rather gather 100,000 of a readily available resource than 10 of a rare one (I HATE -clem-ing Toroids).

35 minutes ago, FrostPrime said:

Empyrean looked cool but I immediately started having doubts when Steve was like “Empyrean is the opposite of ‘leaving the island’, Empyrean is all about connections” and then they brought up a completely separate star chart to select unique missions from.

The point about the island, is having things completely separate with no interaction. Railjacks do connect to the rest of the game, cause we still have our guns, our archwings, etc. 

As for the star chart, last I checked the plan was to have railjacks replace the current starchart. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, (PS4)ChaosTheNerd said:

ive seen it, and its just like the other massive but potentially bland updates, could i be wrong? sure ill check it out ingame when i comes but im not exactly holding my hopes up.

i really hate the excuse of its just free i couldnt care less if its free i hold all games to the same standard

Apparently you hate more than that. Why bother to play at all when you're so bored? SMH

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, (XB1)MetalPain x 666 said:

The Dojo requirement kills it for me, i dont want to be dependent on anybody else to be able to play railjack.

I know how easy it is to be removed from a clan. I really hope they will make railjack hangars in relays.

Or you could make your own clan up to 10 people.