Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is a Volt Rework in the Mix?

Fenrir121

The only problem Volt has is that he's basic. ...And his 1 is bad, but that is something he shares with a lot of frames, both good and bad, complex or not.

He's got four buttons, they're all simple to use, they do what's on the label, and three of them do what's advertised very well. Really, that sounds about right for a starter frame. Excal isn't much more complicated, and while Mag has her bullet bubble goofiness and meta armor stripping, you really don't need to do much more than press 3 and 4 on her to get pretty far.

Not *every* frame needs to have a dozen synergies going in all directions within their kit. I think it helps if a good amount of the frames do, but some frames really are better off just being "press button, receive bacon."

39 minutes ago, XaoGarrent said:

The only problem Volt has is that he's basic. ...And his 1 is bad, but that is something he shares with a lot of frames, both good and bad, complex or not.

He's got four buttons, they're all simple to use, they do what's on the label, and three of them do what's advertised very well. Really, that sounds about right for a starter frame. Excal isn't much more complicated, and while Mag has her bullet bubble goofiness and meta armor stripping, you really don't need to do much more than press 3 and 4 on her to get pretty far.

Not *every* frame needs to have a dozen synergies going in all directions within their kit. I think it helps if a good amount of the frames do, but some frames really are better off just being "press button, receive bacon."

The only problem with that attitude is that this is a long term game. I mean sure that's fine for a while but five years later? It makes frames obsolete in terms of game play. Also with a game as grindy as this if you make it so that all the game play boils down to is shoot, push 3, repeat, you get burn out real fast.

I mean I understand that its a starter frame, and you've got a point, but even Excal got a rework that changed his entire playstyle.

Edited by Fenrir121

2 minutes ago, Fenrir121 said:

The only problem with that attitude is that this is a long term game. I mean sure that's fine for a while but five years later? It makes frames obsolete in terms of game play. Also with a game as grindy as this if you make it so that all the game play boils down to is shoot, push 3, repeat, you get burn out real fast.

I mean I understand that its a starter frame, and you've got a point, but even Excal got a rework that changed his entire playstyle.

I see no problem, only a baseless objection.

2 hours ago, Fenrir121 said:

Doesn't change or address really anything that's been discussed here. No one's asking for buffs period and the forums are being used appropriately in this topic. You claimed the frame was OP and it isn't. Furthermore it has no where near the synergy newer frames have which was the point, that it needs to be updated to current standards.

Thematically his synergy has been adopted by other frames. Mechanically, because of how the damage is calculated, his abilities can end up doing 0 damage for several ticks. There's no synergy for his 2, at all, and the synergy that exists between the other skills is so underwhelming or useless that most players don't even bother using them and if they are in high level missions they're wasting energy.

Yes there are systematic issues, yes there's work to be done yet on the game (Feel free to make your own thread addressing that), there always will be, and none of what you said address any problems with the frame. Yea Gauss isn't out yet, but his inception means that any synergy for volt and his "speed" has basically been moved to another frame. Volt still has the same basic set up he had at release, so like it or not it needs a bit of shine.

so nezha being faster and wisp giving speed buffs didn't change anything but guass does?  uh huh...

i just don't agree with your outlook.  volt is fine.

5 minutes ago, Klokwerkaos said:

so nezha being faster and wisp giving speed buffs didn't change anything but guass does?  uh huh...

i just don't agree with your outlook.  volt is fine.

They have their own synergies, but if you want to get down to it that's more taken out of volt's kit thanks. I don't know if you paid attention but Gauss's speed results in electrical damage. Either way, you're entitled to your opinion as much as I am mine. That's the beauty of public forums.

Edited by Fenrir121

On 2019-08-26 at 4:34 PM, Fenrir121 said:

I mean his 2 is really garbage except in very specific situations (in my opinion). He's my most used frame and his whole thing was lightning and speed, and now you've made gauss which kind of takes his thing as the fast frame. Its a bit silly really, you've got him in the intro cinematic moving so fast that time around him is slowing down but even with maximized sprint with his 2 active he still won't be as fast as Gauss.

Just give him ball lightning that he can shoot at to shock mobs. Gets rid of a bad 2, the anger it creates when other players crash into walls, and really grants him the "potent alternative to gun-play."

Volt is the electricity frame not lighting frame, it's ok, Gauss won't steal volts thunder. He just so happens to have a speed Ability, because lighting and quickness tend to be closely related in media. 

6 hours ago, (XB1)Adaptabilty said:

Volt is the electricity frame not lighting frame, it's ok, Gauss won't steal volts thunder. He just so happens to have a speed Ability, because lighting and quickness tend to be closely related in media. 

Seem to recall volt prime summoning lightning bolts everytime he casts his 1.. hmm...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-08-28 at 1:34 AM, Ecclessia said:

Volt clearly needs rework, as his speed ability affects other players in a bad way. Most Volts just mindlessly put 200+ str and think, that broken animation and hitting every obstacle in the game, that consists mostly of long narrow spaces with obstacles, is good not only for them, but also for their squadmates. Even DE had added backflip gimmick SPECIFICALLY to remove Volt's 2. Which does not save, as most Volts like to recast their debuff again and again.

I agreed you. Not only "Speed", but also his "Electric Shield" will be replaced by other warframe due to limited protection (such as Frost, Gara, Wisp).

If Volt have rework, there will be good ideas to allow him become powerful, balancing and competent warframe.

His Passive (Name: Electrical Energization) change to Volt can gain extra energy by kills enemies (inflicted critical damage will gain more). Also, his energy unaffected by any other energy drainage (such as Energy Leech/ Parasitic Eximus).

His 1st ability (Name: Unchanged) added "Charged" effect (like Hydroid's Tempest Barrage etc), which duel more damage and significantly improve duration and chaining effects at the cost of energy.

His 2nd ability (New Name: Charged Burst) added electrical blast ability before speed buff and added Nezha's Fire Walker offensive effect during buff states (with electric version), it duration will increased.

His 3rd ability (New Name: Electric Aura) become mobile spherical electric field (like Nullifier Crewman) which not only for protection but also damage enemies within the field. The field have same effect of "Electric Shield". This field is permanently which slow drain his energy until the end.

His 4th ability (New Name: Lightning Storm) added "Charged" effect (like Hydroid's Tempest Barrage etc), which duel more damage and significantly improve duration and range at the cost of energy. Duel Extra Damage to enemies who affected electricity procs.. After Explosion, It will release deadly lightning storm duel continuous damage to nearby enemies. Also, Volt will have mobile lightning storm around him (function like Equinox's Maim and Ember' World of Fire, this lightning storm much larger and powerful than his "Electric Aura", but lack of defensive ability and is not permanent), not only duel damage to nearby enemies but also added electricity damage to his weapons.

I think Volt need rework but he need well balancing rework. Also, I hope Volt become more powerful, balancing and competent warframe. It is not metaphorical, but it can improve Volt's disadvantages due to lack of specialization.

Fact of the matter is, Volt has four distinct and useful abilities. Does Volt deserve and need some changes to them? Yes. Does Volt need a full scale rework? No. Does Volt deserve to have those changes any time soon? No.

There are frames like Hydroid who still have redundant abilities. There are frames like Titania who are just a confusing mess. There are frames like Ember who barely scale, and frames like Vauban who pretty much have one ability. Those need to take priority.

Edited by YagoXiten

5 hours ago, YagoXiten said:

Fact of the matter is, Volt has four distinct and useful abilities. Does Volt deserve and need some changes to them? Yes. Does Volt need a full scale rework? No. Does Volt deserve to have those changes any time soon? No.

There are frames like Hydroid who still have redundant abilities. There are frames like Titania who are just a confusing mess. There are frames like Ember who barely scale, and frames like Vauban who pretty much have one ability. Those need to take priority.

I think Volt need rework but will well balancing one. I mean his all four abilities will gain offensive effects but not lost their original effects.

There are frames like Frost, Gara, Limbo who have better defensive abilities. There are frames like Wisp who have better Speed buff abilities. There are frames like Oberon, Khora who have well balancing abilities (Such as Assault, Defense, Healing).

Volt is outdated because many new frames can be replace the old frames if the. (As Revenant replace Nyx for instant missions, Nyx become supporting frame after rework)

If Volt does not rework, he will be replaced by other new frames.

BTW, I hope Vauban will get his totally rework before his prime unvaulting.

Edited by (PS4)FrancisChrisWong

3 hours ago, (PS4)FrancisChrisWong said:

There are frames like Frost, Gara, Limbo who have better defensive abilities.

And? The frames with better defense abilities are generally the frames with an actual focus on defending an area. And I would really call Limbo Cataclysm a defense ability, more so just high tier CC, which Volt has in Discharge.

3 hours ago, (PS4)FrancisChrisWong said:

There are frames like Wisp who have better Speed buff abilities. 

Not true. The only advantage Wisp mote had over Speed is rate of fire boost. Speed still gives the higher movement speed and attack speed boost.

Volt has a very solid place that's very unlikely to be upset by any one frame (no new frame we know of is for sure gonna upset his place in Tridolons) His only ability that really could use a change is Shock. Speed could maybe do with a better opt out, but that's up to DE. Electric Shield is a great ability already, an invincible wall that you can spam endlessly, and Discharge does it's job fantastically.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2019-09-11 at 11:12 PM, Atsia said:

And? The frames with better defense abilities are generally the frames with an actual focus on defending an area. And I would really call Limbo Cataclysm a defense ability, more so just high tier CC, which Volt has in Discharge.

Not true. The only advantage Wisp mote had over Speed is rate of fire boost. Speed still gives the higher movement speed and attack speed boost.

Volt has a very solid place that's very unlikely to be upset by any one frame (no new frame we know of is for sure gonna upset his place in Tridolons) His only ability that really could use a change is Shock. Speed could maybe do with a better opt out, but that's up to DE. Electric Shield is a great ability already, an invincible wall that you can spam endlessly, and Discharge does it's job fantastically.

Many people only focus on speed buff strength but not duration. Volt's speed rework not only on his duration buff but also added some offensive ability like Nezha. His shield is utterly useless and need to improved significantly to match the other, such as Frost, Gara etc. His discharge can become more powerful and deadly without disrupt the game balancing.

BTW, if DE develop the new frame with greater speed buff and protective shield (for allies) with some specialization than Volt. Volt would become useless.

Edited by (PS4)FrancisChrisWong

1 hour ago, (PS4)FrancisChrisWong said:

His shield is utterly useless

His shield is basically one of the few meta abilities for Eidolons, and one of 2 abilities that actually boosts Critical Damage. Volt is far from needing a rework honestly, having some abilities have effects tuned for 2019 is fine, but I think there are better things to prioritize on besides Volt (like resolving content drought)

Just remember that for nearly 2 years, Volt was only used for Speed and his Shield. His 4 before 2018 was really bad with the damage cap, in terms of CC and nuking. The game will change over time, but asking a currently highly utilised frame isn't really a need. Who would you see reworked first? Hydroid, Atlas, Nyx, Titania? Or Volt first?

Also, Volt is based around electricity. Lightning is electricity. He isn't exactly 100% a Thor frame...

Edited by 4holes

5 hours ago, Xepthrichros said:

He doesn't need any changes.

It is suggestion. He lack of specialization. You statement "He doesn't need any changes." is incorrect and unorganized. I mean Volt need little rework can improved him better. Why don't you accept his little changes? Can you consider Volt disadvantages if you compared him with others?

5 hours ago, 4holes said:

His shield is basically one of the few meta abilities for Eidolons, and one of 2 abilities that actually boosts Critical Damage. Volt is far from needing a rework honestly, having some abilities have effects tuned for 2019 is fine, but I think there are better things to prioritize on besides Volt (like resolving content drought)

Just remember that for nearly 2 years, Volt was only used for Speed and his Shield. His 4 before 2018 was really bad with the damage cap, in terms of CC and nuking. The game will change over time, but asking a currently highly utilised frame isn't really a need. Who would you see reworked first? Hydroid, Atlas, Nyx, Titania? Or Volt first?

Also, Volt is based around electricity. Lightning is electricity. He isn't exactly 100% a Thor frame...

If you said which frames need reworked, why don't you say that "All early frame will get rework, including Mag"? I hope all early frame will get rework.

If DE develop the new frame share the same functions as Volt, but better than him. If the new frame with group speed buff faster than Volt, he would be useless. Just like Nyx get rework after Revenant.

If you think Volt does not need rework, fine. I just hope DE will develop electricity-based frame with purely offensive focus ability and instant energy generation. (I give the new electricity-based frame name, "Tempest" the female version of Volt).