Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we have the audio of the Gauss video re-recorded.

Prexades

People need to realize dialects and differences between languages is a thing. Gauss was certainly not the only one at the time named Gauss and he was certainly not alone with his pronounciation of it, just as there were others, from other regions of dialect that pronounced it differently.

As I said in another thread where this popped up. Many people with the name Strauss that live in english speaking countries often present themselves as Mr/Mrs Straws and not Strouse. That is because the dialect they are used to makes it easier and simply more common to pronounce it that way. What we hear when english people say the name is simply a dialect matter, and not about being right or wrong.

How often does a non-native pronounce any name 100% correctly?

Example. Jonas in english is pronounced Joan-as, in most scandinavian countries it is Joon-as, in german regions Jon-as. Which one is correct? All of them. Janus is another example of it. English = Jane-us, Scandic = Jaan-us, German = Jan-us or Jan-osh.

It's their Gauss, they can pronounce it however they want. Admit it how many of you complaining about this call it "Neh-zah" instead of "Nuh-jah"? Besides different languages might call names in different ways, for example English isn't my main language so i will never call Titania the correct way...no Japanese person complains when Americans take their Pokemon franchise and call them Powkeyman.

4 hours ago, HugintheCrow said:

If you're not trolling, it's actually worse, cause it means you have actual brain damage.

I'm dead serious, contact a doctor right now, you most likely need instant medical assistance. You might have gotten a heat stroke or something.

Really because I'm right? It's made by DE, it's owned by DE, it's DE's name, they have their own pronunciation of it, and never said anything about it being named after him.

Also calm down maybe lol

4 hours ago, HugintheCrow said:

*which, fun fact, even if you claim that, you still need arguments to back it up, I saw nothing yet, outside of "I'm right you're wrong", which as I said above:

I'm saying, the devs can't pronounce a name wrong since they give the character it's name. 

The name of Gauss, the frame, is pronounced ghoss.

The name of the Gauss, the mathematician, is the pronunciation that rhymes with mouse.

If you want to believe that it's a reference. Go ahead. I legitimately don't care.

But I'm also going to believe that Kuva is a reference to a Texas radio station. Cause in all honesty, both have about the same validity.

13 minutes ago, stormy505 said:

But I'm also going to believe that Kuva is a reference to a Texas radio station. Cause in all honesty, both have about the same validity.

I claim it comes from the swedish word kuva which means subdue since it fits perfectly well with the grineer and their space-norse language and power structure.

4 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

I claim it comes from the swedish word kuva which means subdue since it fits perfectly well with the grineer and their space-norse language and power structure.

Wow, what a surprise, DE uses words from different languages (sometimes more, sometimes less obscure)?

It's as if I literally said they do it.

22 minutes ago, (NSW)Drake_Remorea said:

Really because I'm right? It's made by DE, it's owned by DE, it's DE's name, they have their own pronunciation of it, and never said anything about it being named after him.

Also calm down maybe lol

I don't give a single flight to alabama how you pronounce it.

His name is a reference to either Gauss the mathematician, or also probably to the fictional weapon type of the same name.

You keep referencing how you're right logically, well, here's a lesson in logics:

"If A implies B, and A is true, B is true."

"If A and B imply C, and both A and B are true, C is true. "

Sentence A: Gauss warframe is named literally the same as Gauss the IRL scientist.

Sentence B: A reference is when you name something the same way (or similarly) to evoke certain associations in whoever watches/reads/otherwise partakes in a medium you've created.

Sentence C Gauss (warframe) is a reference to the Gauss (scientist).

A is true (as it is the basis of the argument from which we derive it). B is true (it's literally a definition and as such I do not need to prove it).

A and B are both true. Thus C is true.

Gauss Warframe is named after the Gauss scientist. It's logically proven, thanks for listening to my Ted Talk.

24 minutes ago, HugintheCrow said:

His name is a reference to either Gauss the mathematician, or also probably to the fictional weapon type of the same name.

Prove it. Like I've said a thousand times no proven relations.

25 minutes ago, HugintheCrow said:

You keep referencing how you're right logically, well, here's a lesson in logics:

"If A implies B, and A is true, B is true."

"If A and B imply C, and both A and B are true, C is true. "

Sentence A: Gauss warframe is named literally the same as Gauss the IRL scientist.

Sentence B: A reference is when you name something the same way (or similarly) to evoke certain associations in whoever watches/reads/otherwise partakes in a medium you've created.

Sentence C Gauss (warframe) is a reference to the Gauss (scientist).

A is true (as it is the basis of the argument from which we derive it). B is true (it's literally a definition and as such I do not need to prove it).

A and B are both true. Thus C is true.

Gauss Warframe is named after the Gauss scientist. It's logically proven, thanks for listening to my Ted Talk.

But A isn't true soooo LOL. So you're illogical too put nice try. Still assumptions. Also C is wrong. And with that B is broad so doesnt matter.

"Gauss Warframe is named after the Gauss scientist. It's logically proven, thanks for listening to my Ted Talk."

No, its not, it is not proven just because you said so. You dont DE, nor their intellectual property therin you dont decide or know what the basis of the name is. Thank you for being wrong.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

I'll give you my serious answer behind the name kuva. In Sanskrit, kuva is the word for lotus. and there's actually quite a few words in Warframe that are just translations from various key lore words.

it's an old writing trick where if someone actually found the true origin of the word it could still be labeled as deep.

6 minutes ago, (NSW)Drake_Remorea said:

Prove it. Like I've said a thousand times no proven relations.

You just seem stubborn out of shear joy to argue.

You need to be dead blind in order to not see that Gauss is based on Gauss and his theories. It even goes so far that he connects with Mag. And even if it wasnt based on Gauss, the name DE gave him would still be the exact same name i.e Gauss, because it is spelled exactly the same so follows the exact same rules. Now DEs way of pronouncing it isnt wrong, it is the english dialect version, but the german way is also correct.

Both sides here are pretty silly imo because neither understands the vast differences when it comes to names and how differently nations pronounce them.

15 hours ago, MacKerris said:

Well I was being silly as my post was a bit of wordplay. But before you tell me how things are, maybe you should double check your facts. The 13th element on the periodic table has two different spellings, and both are correct.

I'd never bothered to look further into it than the conventions of the shop I'd worked in used and their reasoning for it, as they seemed quite plausible and also useful in differentiation  between composition of something ( duralumin is an aluminium alloy, for example ) to a product ( a milled chunk of aluminum ). It's a neat little bit of trivia I wouldn't have bothered to look up excepting this topic though, so thanks!

5 minutes ago, stormy505 said:

I'll give you my serious answer behind the name kuva. In Sanskrit, kuva is the word for lotus. and there's actually quite a few words in Warframe that are just translations from various key lore words.

it's an old writing trick where if someone actually found the true origin of the word it could still be labeled as deep.

You forget what Kuva is used for though. It is often used as a tool to subdue a variety of different things. From Orokin using it to subdue the Dax, Unum using it to enter and subdue the minds of animals and guardians using it to protect against/subdue warframe powers. The staff we get is a tool made for subduing subjects. And this is without factoring in that it is used to bring immortality to different tyrants.

edit: We also use it to subdue rivens, to get what we want from them.

Edited by SneakyErvin

19 hours ago, ReaverKane said:

Not sure if sarcasm, or unaware... But Aluminum isn't a word though... Aluminium, is a metal, and like many other metals, like SodIUM, BerilIUM, TitanIUM, etc.

18 hours ago, Xyngrr said:

Aluminium is an element. Aluminum is a trade name for it from a company that has long provided it in North America, Alcan. It's also an incredibly common contraction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcan

Aluminium (aluminum in American and Canadian English) is a chemical element with the symbol Al and atomic number 13.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium

So it is a word.  As as incredibly common contraction... Maybe in Canada?  I have never heard such used in the US, and I used to work at Alcoa since we are throwing major aluminum companies around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoa

But if you really want to argue, argue with the one who named it.

" British chemist Humphry Davy, who performed a number of experiments aimed to synthesize the metal, is credited as the person who named the element. In 1808, he suggested the metal be named alumium.[86] This suggestion was criticized by contemporary chemists from France, Germany, and Sweden, who insisted the metal should be named for the oxide, alumina, from which it would be isolated.[87]In 1812, Davy chose aluminum, thus producing the modern name.[88] However, its spelling and pronunciation varies: aluminum is in use in the United States and Canada while aluminium is in use elsewhere.[89] "

Look at it this way, the more you know, the more pedantic you can be.

@OneYenShort

You must have missed the post 2 above yours. I also note you say it's not a common contraction in your experience, then use it later in the same sentence and end with saying that's what the naming fellow chose. :smile:
It's a regional thing, I guess. I've seen and heard aluminum used in Canada alot and also from relatives and friends in the US, while EU folks tend to use aluminium. And in that wiki article further down it states either spelling is recognized valid since 1990....
...is the horse dead yet, or can it take a few more whacks? :tongue:

Okay, I would like to take a moment to make my thoughts clear on this topic.

DE has created a warframe and given it the name Gauss. The theme of this warframe is extremely fast velocities and accelerations. This is echoed in the name of Gauss's primary weapon, the Acceltra. 

Gauss the mathematician (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Friedrich_Gauss) did groundbreaking work figuring out how to calculate the flux of vector fields through various surfaces (among many other mathematical achievements.) The application of this mathematics is found in several areas of physics, there is a Gauss's law for the gravitational field, a Gauss's law for the electric field, and a Gauss's law for the magnetic field. There are also higher-dimensional generalizations and many, many other areas where Gauss-type laws arise. Of particular interest is in the magnetic version, since this principle (along with various other laws found by others  - Lorentz is pretty important for this work too) has been used by scientists to create machines called cyclotrons (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclotron) and synchrotrons (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchrotron). These machines belong to a class of machines known as particle accelerators, and have been used for many decades to study high-energy ultra-relativistic particle collisions. The power of Gauss's mathematics is thus linked to these extreme near-lightspeed velocities. This is not some obscure fact known only to some people in the physical sciences, this is extremely well and widely known. Therefore, I think we can dispense with the notion that perhaps the fact that the high velocity warframe has the name of a mathematician whose work is fundamentally connected to high velocity particle physics is just a coincidence. (Not to mention, all of the other warframes have names that are carefully picked references to various phenomena, scientists, mythology, etc... It seems odd to think that DE would choose to suddenly stop using references so abruptly, and anyone attempting to state that is obviously making an argument in bad faith - or trolling.)

Scientists and mathematicians around the world often refer to Gauss's work. There is even a mathematical function that appears over and over again in a wide range of fields that is named the Gaussian (For those interested, the Gaussian function is e^(-x^2) {Aside: can you integrate this function over the real line? Hint: Square it first and switch to polar coordinates! Ans: the square root of pi} <-- sorry my teacher side comes out sometimes. Place a constant in front of the x if you're concerned about units!) The link between Gauss and the ability of magnetic fields to accelerate charged particles is so ubiquitously known that the unit of the magnetic field is called the Gauss (For those with knowledge of SI units, 1 Gauss = 10^(-4) Tesla.) The scientific community as a whole has attempted to be true to the original German pronunciation of the mathematician's name, and therefore pronounce it Gauss (rhymes with mouse.) This is also well-known, and anybody with a bachelor's degree in physics, mathematics, chemistry, statistics, or virtually any engineering field will generally agree on this pronunciation. 

Now, the Gauss warframe is the result of the creativity of the DE team. Thus, they are free to choose how they wish to pronounce it within the world they have created. However, as the makers of a science fiction game, surely they understand that a segment of their playerbase are scientifically-minded. Therefore, we should make the DE team aware of the fact that this segment of the playerbase will cringe every single time we hear the pronunciation "Goss."

For those among the playerbase who do not repeatedly use Gauss's name in everyday life, I will try to put this into perspective. Suppose DE decided to use their creative license to say that the name of the planet spelled "Earth" has changed during the millennia since the old war. Perhaps now it is pronounced "Eye-Arth." Obviously DE does have a right and the freedom to do this, and it is likely that the game itself would survive such a butchering of the planet's name. But, consider how your mind would react every time the Lotus says "Eye-Arth." Perhaps at first it wouldn't really annoy you, but maybe after a few thousand times you will become significantly irked by it, especially if the spelling remains "Earth." This is what happens to us when we hear "Goss." At first I didn't mind, I even watched the entire devstream where they went over all his abilities with relatively little cringing. But now, I find myself turning down the volume on voice chat when clanmates say "Goss." It hurts in my brain.

Sadly, there is probably little that can be done at this point. The devstreams have happened, and we cannot ask everyone to change the pronunciation, especially since "Goss" has by now probably been the pronunciation used in most official videos, content creator videos, and voice chats. A concerted effort to alter it at this point would probably take just that - effort. This would likely be seen as a delay for future content, which I suspect the playerbase as a whole would not accept. In any case, I just thought it might be helpful to lay this out so people can understand why some players might feel more strongly about this issue.

Regards,

Gauss the mouse in a house.

(Pronounced Goss the Moss in a Hoss)

Edited by Sevek7
Added joke to lighten the mood

23 hours ago, Prexades said:

Gauss is not spelled Ghoss.

The actual spelling rhymes on mouse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Friedrich_Gauss

Thank you.

The word for that magnetic effect might be pronounced that way.  The video is quite clear that the name of the *WARFRAME* (a fictional thing that can be whatever the designers say) is pronounced to rhyme with "moss."

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go recycle some aluminum cans (mostly Pepsi, which are a nice blue color), then make some nice french fries and have a cookie.  😛

19 minutes ago, Sevek7 said:

DE has created a warframe and given it the name Gauss. The theme of this warframe is extremely fast velocities and accelerations. This is echoed in the name of Gauss's primary weapon, the Acceltra.

The name of his alt helmet, "Mag", is also a direct reference (due to a Gauss Rifle/Coilgun utilising magnets) as opposed to being just a head nod to the Mag frame having a Gauss helmet.

The whole reason Mag has a Gauss helmet is, of course, because of the aforementioned scientist.

• Like 3

To be fair to the DE team, I've always heard it pronounced Gaws in every context where it's been used (mostly in science fiction TV/movies, in reference to the weapon - must have been glossed over in school, I didn't really care about people's names, especially scientists - just what they learned, and if it has held up to further study, or remained theory)... not G-ouse ... that just sounds silly to me - doesn't make phonetic spelling sense either. So it sounds perfectly natural to be the way DE has chosen for a name inspired by the historic scientist.

You can go on and on about its pronunciation in the scientific community, native language roots as a hereditary name... but (as someone mentioned about Eye-arth... I'd actually enjoy that jab at how language changes over time, and even the inhabitants of the planet not remembering how it was once known) I think it would be funny to go back only a couple hundred years to try to understand so-called english-speaking people speak... we'd be lost. This game takes place far in the future, so they get creative license to do what they will with the name they drew inspiration from and make reference to, at least in my book.

(btw, names change between languages and cultures... at the same time, not even with years passing... as people have mentioned. I'm sure my family's surname has undergone changes, and I have no qualms with it. This gives DE even more logical leeway when it comes to pronunciation.)

Seems like a nit-pick that only Gauss' personal family would have reason to make an issue of it, if at all, anyway.