Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we have the audio of the Gauss video re-recorded.

Prexades

Just now, (NSW)Drake_Remorea said:

Didn't say a complete coincidence. But it's much a possibility.

No, it isn't.

Just now, (NSW)Drake_Remorea said:

Logic is what I've been providing

No, you haven't. 

I'm not even going to pretend you're actually making valid points so I didn't read... 95% of your post.

• Like 1

Just now, DeMonkey said:

No, you haven't. 

I'm not even going to pretend you're actually making valid points so I didn't read... 95% of your post.

That is literally why you don't understand anything. You cannot say I haven't used logic when you aren't reading my posts.

1 minute ago, DeMonkey said:

No, it isn't

Actually it is....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, (NSW)Drake_Remorea said:

That is literally why you don't understand anything. You cannot say I haven't used logic when you aren't reading my posts.

You misunderstand. I was reading your posts, but then I realised you're a troll and it was a waste of my time so I stopped.

3 minutes ago, (NSW)Drake_Remorea said:

Actually it is....

Oh wow, great rebuttal, clappity clap.

Edited by DeMonkey

1 minute ago, DeMonkey said:

You misunderstand. I was reading your posts, but then I realised you're a troll and it was a waste of my time so I stopped

I don't misunderstand. You do because I'm not a troll, actually at this point you're acting like one. And you didn't read my post I read yours. It's a waste of your time right, so why respond?

2 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Oh wow, great rebuttal, clappity clap

THAT IS SO HYPOCRITICAL LOL

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, (NSW)Drake_Remorea said:

I don't misunderstand

You did, because you took "I didn't read 95% of your post" to mean "I didn't read 95% of your all your posts". That's a misunderstanding.

It's a waste of your time right, so why respond?

It takes me all of 5 seconds to type the tiny response that your posts deserve.

THAT IS SO HYPOCRITICAL LOL

But wait.

Spoiler

Image result for uno reverse card

:clap:

Edited by DeMonkey

1 hour ago, (NSW)Drake_Remorea said:

god read what I say please I'm just repeating myself...

I said it before and I'll keep repeating myself too. GO TO A DOCTOR. You need professional help. Maybe it's the brain damage I mentioned earlier, perhaps it's a mental issue of sorts.

But if you seriously can't process that Gauss equals Gauss, you clearly have a deep, incredibly deep problem with understanding reality and solving preschool-level logic.

An actual child below 6 years old would tell you're stupid. And they would be right. I'm sorry, but this is serious. Again, seek help. NOW.

I know that in your nightmarish inner world dimension it feels like we don't exist and you're the only actual human surrounded by ilogical monsters, but listen to me at least once. I'm a human too. Many people have mental issues, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Get help from a professional, it WILL make you feel better.

I'm not joking, I'm not trying to laugh at you. I seriously want you to get better, but you need to make the first move. You need to go to a psychiatrist or a psychologist yourself.

I do not know what country you are from, so I can't help you find one near you, but know that it is easy, you'll surely be able to find one on your own through the internet.

Best of luck, I'll be cheering for you to get better. I think I can speak for everyone in this thread, we all hope you get over this problem.

• Like 1

DE cannot lay claim to the name Gauss. If somebody could, GamesWorkshop would have done it decades ago. Gauss Rifle, Gauss Cannon, etc.

You are arguing against a man's name. We don't call Einstein 'In-ste-in' or Newton as 'Ne-wo-tong'.

DE makes mistakes, it is okay to admit that. What isn't okay is dancing around the mistake and saying they're right and everyone else is wrong. Defending DE in this case is just . . . embarassing for you and for them. They don't need to correct the trailer as it is what it is, but they should pronounce it properly from here on in.

• Like 1

I am happy that the Leverian Narrator at least pronounces it in the same way that scientists do. I am satisfied that the "museum curator" - some kind of academic position, pronounces it the same way as our human academics in real life. This is enough for me, but thank you all for some riveting discussions surrounding this issue.

7 hours ago, (NSW)Drake_Remorea said:

Didn't say it was impossible? I said only the creators, DE, can prove the origin of the name. They made it and until they say or dont say it is or isnt based of off Carl Friedrich Gauss, no one can be certain.

No there isn't. It's not evidence it's assumptions based off of comparisons.

Sorry seem to have mislead you again. I meant impossible for a person outside of DE to reach a reasonable conclussion on the origin of Gauss name without DE providing a direct statment on it. You seem to hold the veiw that as we cannot have absolute certainty (without a DE statment) it is therefore impossible to make any assesment of the names origin. Without word from DE (your sole criteria for evidence?) all assumptions on this matter are equally invalid. Would you say this is a fair assessment of your postion?

Why do the comparisons, links, and nature of creatvity and culture not count as evidence for these assumptions? They lead one in the direction of one conclussion and away from another. This is the very essence of evidence. Surely it is due to evidence leading to the assumption that so many people belive Gauss is named for the mathmtician. They did not reach this conclusion randomly and coincedently all arrive at the same conclussion. There is little to no evidence for any other conclussion and noteably we see no other conclussions being offered.

If we had the three following competing ideas on how DE came to the name Gauss which would I be most justified in belivig? Or would all three be equally unlikely?

1. Named after the mathmatician Gauss. 

2. DE mashed the keyboard and this is what they got.

3. Named after Usain Bolt.

So,

Gauss is the name of a very, very famous German mathematician and because of that, his name was used for the unit of magnetic flux density. (As has been said)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:De-carlfriedrichgauss.ogg

Magnetic flux is fundimental to electromagnetically propelled weapons which is why they were nicknamed gauss-weapons. These weapons are commonly thought to accelerate rounds much faster than conventional explosives.

Now obviously that is why Gauss-the-Warframe is named the way he is (Look at the Helmet Gauss->Mag and Mag->Gauss)

Amusingly I don't think this is actually a US/UK/German/Canada thing, I think it's a Sci-Fi-Nerd/Scientist thing. People who mispronounce it probably got it from sci-fi books talking about "Gauss-weapons" without a pronounciation guide and eventually propogated it into the things they made. Much like how the "Glaive" in Dark Sector and Warframe happened because of Krull

That said, the curator of the Lavarian pronounces it correctly, so obviously the correct prononciation exists in the Warframe world and attached to that Warframe.

Maybe it's simply that Lotus/Natah the Sentient doesn't know how all of the human words work?

After all, she still has issues with calling the Oro-Kin the oh-RO-Kin.

Edited by SilentMobius

5 hours ago, (PS4)Multi-Melta said:

Again, the Warframe itself can be marked as an ip, however the name Gauss cannot.

Just to throw this out there: "IP" isn't a real thing, it's a propaganda term to confuse people about the very, very different laws of Trademark, Copyright and Patent. If we're talking about what is and is not legal we need to talk about the specific area of law not some rolled up nonsense-term.

From the perspective of a Warframe You might use Patent (A design patent) on some or all of the physical design, Copyright on the work (Model/Textures) and Trademark on the name (Within a limited field) but each one of those depends on other tests, each have their own limitations.

IANAL at all, let alone in copyright, trademark or patent.

7 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

There's no point looking for a lore based reason for a simple mispronunciation.

No, but if it doesn't change then lore can be used to excuse a mispronounciation. Expecially when there is precedent for the Lotus being "unable to words" and we have the correct pronunciation in-game elsewhere.

Edited by SilentMobius

9 minutes ago, SilentMobius said:

No, but if it doesn't change then lore can be used to excuse a mispronounciation. Expecially when there is precedent for the Lotus being "unable to words" and we have the correct pronunciation in-game elsewhere.

Eh, potentially yeah. It won't be long however until the profile video is forgotten imo. I think the only reason anyone cares about it is because it's new, I regularly forget they even exist because they aren't linked or embedded anywhere in game.

Just now, DeMonkey said:

Eh, potentially yeah. It won't be long however until the profile video is forgotten imo. I think the only reason anyone cares about it is because it's new, I regularly forget they even exist because they aren't linked or embedded anywhere in game.

The Nova profile video was brought up again and again for years.

I will excuse it if I have to but IMHO it's in contradiction to the in-game naming so I'm prefer it to be re-dubbed, just to prevent miseducation at least.

1 minute ago, SilentMobius said:

The Nova profile video was brought up again and again for years.

On what grounds? I don't recall. Not sure I've even watched the profile on her.

1 minute ago, SilentMobius said:

I will excuse it if I have to but IMHO it's in contradiction to the in-game naming so I'm prefer it to be re-dubbed, just to prevent miseducation at least.

I think educating people is a pretty good reason to change it tbh. I've learned a great deal of useless but interesting information just by googling what DE names certain items after.

Loki's Deluxe Dual Swords led me to reading about his kids, this argument led me to read up on Gauss, the extensive Greek mythos naming is interesting as is how apparent that Warframe Loki is more Marvel than mythos and so on.

I don't think it will change mind you, but I definitely wouldn't be opposed to it.

On 2019-08-28 at 12:02 AM, ReaverKane said:

Not sure if sarcasm, or unaware... But Aluminum isn't a word though... Aluminium, is a metal, and like many other metals, like SodIUM, BerilIUM, TitanIUM, etc.

Not true, both are words and both were used in naming the metal:

In 1808, Sir Humphry Davy identified the existence of the metal in alum, which he at first named "alumium" and later "aluminum." Davy proposed the name aluminum when referring to the element in his 1812 book Elements of Chemical Philosophy, despite his previous use of "alumium." The official name "aluminium" was adopted to conform with the -ium names of most other elements.

I'm British so I prefer -inium but the -inum ending was the choice of the discoverer so it's just as valid.