Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe has by far the best F2P model. Is there any game out there that compares?

Hypernaut1

The only things not earn-able in game (in reasonable time too) are prime access accessories,Steam skins and fan made cosmetics. Premium currency is easy to trade for. There are tons of free cosmetics and colors given away. I really cant find much to criticize with the way they do things. It strikes the perfect balance of never feeling you HAVE to use plat, but able to appreciate the convenience and benefit of using it. 

The closest game I've found with a decent f2p model is Path of Exile. But even in that game, they nickel and dime you for things like 1x use cosmetic skins. Then you have games like Elite Dangerous, where you buy the game AND its expansions and still have to pay for basic color swaps for every ship you get.

What are some other F2P games with a generous player-centric model that deserves an honorable mention?

Edited by Hypernaut1
  • Like 3

Marvel Heroes was. It was infact slightly more generous than WF. Though that was good for the players but not so good for Gazillions revenue.

The only few things that really required you to spend were stash tabs (bank slots), costumes, some pets and some team ups (combat companions). WF does however let you trade the currency between players, it does still come with the risk of bad plat.

1 minute ago, SneakyErvin said:

Marvel Heroes was. It was infact slightly more generous than WF. Though that was good for the players but not so good for Gazillions revenue.

The only few things that really required you to spend were stash tabs (bank slots), costumes, some pets and some team ups (combat companions). WF does however let you trade the currency between players, it does still come with the risk of bad plat.

Digital Extremes has been working on reducing that with email verification 2 step training.

Path of exile Has even better.

Only thing you need from shop are stash tabs, nothing else. Hell, you dont even need stash tabs, since you Can make a lot of characters to use as "banks"

Edited by Envy123
  • Like 2

I agree, warframe is not like some B2P advertised as F2P game that forces you to put cash in it inorder to enjoy it, in fact.. the warframe community LOVE to spend cash on it, BUT...... seeing the recent direction which DE wants to take this game to I am a little bit concerned, I don't want this game to turn into a Cash Cow milking game, DE needs to release content to keep players wanting to spend more money on cosmetics and stuff, which they recently don't do anymore and it sucks... #save_warframe

Edited by MouadSaqui

6 minutes ago, Envy123 said:

Only thing you need from shop are stash tabs, nothing else. Hell, you dont even need stash tabs, since you Can make a lot of characters to use as "banks"

Like how the only thing you need from Warframe's shop is slots?

13 minutes ago, Envy123 said:

1x use vanity slots were a turn off for me and puts it below WF for me. Also, the coolest looking gear is always paid cosmetics and takes away from finding an awesome looking sword/item thats so customary in ARPGs. Most items tends to have a generic look. I end up just skinning most things because you rarely find anything that looks cool. They dont even glow unless its a paid fx. 

That said, PoE gives you a lot of game for free. It just wont be pretty unless you drop 50$ or so. Its definitely up there with being among the best f2p models out there.

Edited by Hypernaut1

Lineage 2 had great F2P model when it was still in Chronicles, not the current casual garbage it turned into, at least on Russian servers, dunno about others. Pretty much anything from the gameshop could be traded between players: boosters, cosmetics, etc.

And you didn't really need any of that anyways, boosters you could get ingame from quests, cosmetics appeared in events and so on.

Edited by Infirito

Planet side 2 closed beta did good on its days

it was free at the time and i realy enjoyed the open world battles

so far it came close to this game but not as good as warframe gets versus planet side

but sure every hr was spend greatly and no regrets just like warframe

but till this day i kept my honor to warframe becuase Devs always knew the way to fetch players like me 

and staying as long as i can possible with positive toughts

1 hour ago, Hypernaut1 said:

The only things not earn-able in game (in reasonable time too) are prime access accessories,Steam skins and fan made cosmetics. Premium currency is easy to trade for. There are tons of free cosmetics and colors given away. I really cant find much to criticize with the way they do things. It strikes the perfect balance of never feeling you HAVE to use plat, but able to appreciate the convenience and benefit of using it. 

The closest game I've found with a decent f2p model is Path of Exile. But even in that game, they nickel and dime you for things like 1x use cosmetic skins. Then you have games like Elite Dangerous, where you buy the game AND its expansions and still have to pay for basic color swaps for every ship you get.

What are some other F2P games with a generous player-centric model that deserves an honorable mention?

Ru44xKF.png

Drakensang(The game WF F2P model was based on)at least when i was playing it, Path of Exile, Elder Scroll Legends, Aion had a good model back in the day until they screw it,  Yu-Gi-Oh Duel links has a good system also plus they aren't afraid to reward the player with the games currency and many more games, can't name them all now.I don't know if i would call WF the best with all these slots, that are useless imo, you are forced to buy though.

Edited by DeathDweller

1 hour ago, Envy123 said:

I guess I take a look at that game.

A little bit of change couldn't hurt. I've been playing wf for 6 or 7 years non stop after all.

Path of Exile is the best imo.  

The most efficient way of obtaining the best items in the game does not involve your credit card , which is pretty rare nowadays.  (unless you want to get banned)

Didn't mean to offend anyone, I know all the Riven Traders are just economic geniuses and haven't buttered thousands of € into the game! 

Edited by Palsteron

59 minutes ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

Spacelords

I mean. I want to give it a chance but ppl doesn't seem to like that game much. 

I saw not one comment about how there is nothing to do in that game.

I might give it a shot but I'm not going in with high expectations. 

City of Titans (new mmo coming out) will be similar. Almost everything you can buy in the market can be earned in game. For example, if you like a costume set a certain enemy is wearing, killing that enemy maybe 300 times unlocks it for your character. Or to save time, just buy from the market and unlock (I believe) for all characters on your account.

7 minutes ago, (PS4)Ozymandias-13- said:

City of Titans (new mmo coming out) will be similar. Almost everything you can buy in the market can be earned in game. For example, if you like a costume set a certain enemy is wearing, killing that enemy maybe 300 times unlocks it for your character. Or to save time, just buy from the market and unlock (I believe) for all characters on your account.

It will be Freemium B2P, thats what their FAQ says anyway.

2 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

1x use vanity slots were a turn off for me and puts it below WF for me. Also, the coolest looking gear is always paid cosmetics and takes away from finding an awesome looking sword/item thats so customary in ARPGs. Most items tends to have a generic look. I end up just skinning most things because you rarely find anything that looks cool. They dont even glow unless its a paid fx. 

That said, PoE gives you a lot of game for free. It just wont be pretty unless you drop 50$ or so. Its definitely up there with being among the best f2p models out there.

I agree, i got lucky to win one costune set in an art contest, but besides it, costumes are genuinly too expensive. There are some cool looking armors, like Belly of the beast or sword Oni Goroshi, but besides that, costumes are far superior, and bit overpriced

Path of Exile's model is even is better, I don't know what OP is on about. Unlike Warframe, power can't bought with real money in PoE. The only non cosmetic microtransaction I can think off are stash and character slots and even there they are more generous than Warframe with 4 stash pages and more than 20 character slots.  

Even more important - in Warframe many things are designed to annoy you into spending plat. Does rushing really need to be a thing? Do resources really need such low drop rates (come on, buy that booster)? Do you have to sell credits for plat to new players? Some frames are locked behind ridiculous grinds just to annoy you into buying them with plat.  I don't think they need to resort to these scummy tactics to be successful. In PoE I have never been pressured by the game design to spend money. 

So yeah, Warframe's model is amazing but not the best. If they fix the issues I mentioned it can be.

Edited by zruncho
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, (PS4)Ozymandias-13- said:

Never trust a games advertised marketing model until a fair share of time after it has launched, plenty of games market themselves as being more consumer friendly than they intend to be, or where they wind up.