Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hypernaut1

Warframe has by far the best F2P model. Is there any game out there that compares?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ksaero said:

Fallout 76 ūüėĄ

You get premium currency called Atoms for completing different achievements. And it doesn't cost much in real money. Nothing game-changing in the shop though - it's mostly cosmetics.

Ouq2Yhz.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JackHargreav said:

I mean. I want to give it a chance but ppl doesn't seem to like that game much. 

I saw not one comment about how there is nothing to do in that game.

I might give it a shot but I'm not going in with high expectations. 

There is so much to do there sometimes people complain about it being too much expensive(in terms of grind)

But even if people get mad about the pvp side of it, i think it's one of the most fun pvp experiences ever

Also it's forum is bette than this monstrosity 

Go try it and leave warframe for a bit

The sooner the be- i mean we'll sure miss you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

The sooner the be- i mean we'll sure miss you 

Ha! Now that is actually funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zruncho said:

Path of Exile's model is even is better, I don't know what OP is on about. Unlike Warframe, power can't bought with real money in PoE. The only non cosmetic microtransaction I can think off are stash and character slots and even there they are more generous than Warframe with 4 stash pages and more than 20 character slots.  

Even more important - in Warframe many things are designed to annoy you into spending plat. Does rushing really need to be a thing? Do resources really need such low drop rates (come on, buy that booster)? Do you have to sell credits for plat to new players? Some frames are locked behind ridiculous grinds just to annoy you into buying them with plat.  I don't think they need to resort to these scummy tactics to be successful. In PoE I have never been pressured by the game design to spend money. 

So yeah, Warframe's model is amazing but not the best. If they fix the issues I mentioned it can be.

Ive honestly never felt the need to rush items. PoE is great, dont get me wrong, but my main gripe is the stinginess of its vanity/cosmetics. Also, while you do get free stash tabs, any serious player NEEDS to buy more. They also lock customizing your stash tab behind the more expensive "premium" stash tabs. You have to pay just to label your tabs or have them stack items efficiently. Its one of those small but "big" things. Personally, i felt far more forced to buy things in PoE that are QoL, than i do in WF. In Warframe, i learned early on how easy it is to trade for plat to buy slots/catalyst. Plat feels more like a player run currency than anything i need to buy. At a time i could earn 100p a week just from selling syndicate mods/weapons, and they were far easier and faster to sell than rivens, without the RNG. 

Buying power with money is an option in WF, but hardly necessary. I would assume most power buyers spending 2k plat on rivens are just using traded plat anyway. 

Any money spent on PoE is worth it though. They give you A LOT of game thats free to play. I dont want to give the impression that they gouge you for more than the game is worth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, zruncho said:

Path of Exile's model is even is better, I don't know what OP is on about. Unlike Warframe, power can't bought with real money in PoE. The only non cosmetic microtransaction I can think off are stash and character slots and even there they are more generous than Warframe with 4 stash pages and more than 20 character slots. 

I'm not really sure if buying raw weapons where you need to level up and put mods and forma can count as buying power because any weapon is useless if not leveled up and invested with mods, catalyst and forma that Arca plasmor will feel like mastery fodder

55 minutes ago, zruncho said:

Even more important - in Warframe many things are designed to annoy you into spending plat. Does rushing really need to be a thing? Do resources really need such low drop rates (come on, buy that booster)? Do you have to sell credits for plat to new players? Some frames are locked behind ridiculous grinds just to annoy you into buying them with plat.  I don't think they need to resort to these scummy tactics to be successful. In PoE I have never been pressured by the game design to spend money.

Rushing is already from a long time, if I remember correctly there was dungeon master(?) game from EA where you can spend money to rush dungeon room building

Resources drop more from crates and canisters so you won't get much from killing enemies and rush to extraction so it's exploring time

RNG will be RNG, it can smell your desire so you must have a calm mind, silent and serene heart to defeat it. Does Path of Exile have any RNG?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, zruncho said:

Path of Exile's model is even is better, I don't know what OP is on about. Unlike Warframe, power can't bought with real money in PoE. The only non cosmetic microtransaction I can think off are stash and character slots and even there they are more generous than Warframe with 4 stash pages and more than 20 character slots.  

Even more important - in Warframe many things are designed to annoy you into spending plat. Does rushing really need to be a thing? Do resources really need such low drop rates (come on, buy that booster)? Do you have to sell credits for plat to new players? Some frames are locked behind ridiculous grinds just to annoy you into buying them with plat.  I don't think they need to resort to these scummy tactics to be successful. In PoE I have never been pressured by the game design to spend money. 

So yeah, Warframe's model is amazing but not the best. If they fix the issues I mentioned it can be.

What power do you buy in WF?

What I dislike with PoE is that pretty much everything costs just a wee bit too much so you need to get the slightly higher cash bundle in order to get what you want. And you cant use the leftovers to buy something else from a player like you can in WF, nor can you trade for it.

And how can you honestly say that you feel forced to buy anything due to the grind in WF then praise PoE at the same time? The game which is grindier than WF by far, either by gridning currency to buy what you need or by grinding what you need on your own. Grinding out a frame is nothing in comparison to find a single piece of gear in PoE. If you dont like the grind for a frame here you simply do a far shorter grind on relics, sell the crap to players and buy the frame from the market (or players when it comes to primes). Everything in WF can be obtained 100% free for new players, all you need to do is start doing fissures and you'll never have to pay a dime for the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

Never trust a games advertised marketing model until a fair share of time after it has launched, plenty of games market themselves as being more consumer friendly than they intend to be, or where they wind up. 

I've been following that game on the developer feedback forums for about 5 years now. It was funded through a kickstarter. It's kinda a major part of their development. But, if that model were to change I would know before most because of actively following those forums. It would likely make me second guess purchase, but it would depend on what the alternative was.

I never preorder games anymore because most hyped up games end up terrible. I constantly warn people even here that, as much as I love DE, anything said about future content means absolutely nothing until you see the patch notes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Path of Exile, while much more expensive is much better IMO.
No boosts or anything, ONLY cosmetic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the only game that I happily spend money to. More than spending money to buy new games even. One tier 3 prime access is more expensive than AAA game price. But I'm happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ksaero said:

Fallout 76 ūüėĄ

You get premium currency called Atoms for completing different achievements. And it doesn't cost much in real money. Nothing game-changing in the shop though - it's mostly cosmetics.

Nice try Todd...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having played so many different F2P games during the 2013 bubble, and watching so many of them fail, I am honestly surprised that Warframe survived with such a generous system. Its seemed like the only ones that managed to keep going after the bubble burst were the ones that were much more aggressive with their monetization. It just goes to show that making a game that is actually good, and that offers more than just another copycat grindfest is actually important, even in the F2P market.

Though, we'll have to see just how long that keeps them going, if current trends continue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

What power do you buy in WF?

What I dislike with PoE is that pretty much everything costs just a wee bit too much so you need to get the slightly higher cash bundle in order to get what you want. And you cant use the leftovers to buy something else from a player like you can in WF, nor can you trade for it.

And how can you honestly say that you feel forced to buy anything due to the grind in WF then praise PoE at the same time? The game which is grindier than WF by far, either by gridning currency to buy what you need or by grinding what you need on your own. Grinding out a frame is nothing in comparison to find a single piece of gear in PoE. If you dont like the grind for a frame here you simply do a far shorter grind on relics, sell the crap to players and buy the frame from the market (or players when it comes to primes). Everything in WF can be obtained 100% free for new players, all you need to do is start doing fissures and you'll never have to pay a dime for the game.

 

59 minutes ago, 844448 said:

I'm not really sure if buying raw weapons where you need to level up and put mods and forma can count as buying power because any weapon is useless if not leveled up and invested with mods, catalyst and forma that Arca plasmor will feel like mastery fodder

Rushing is already from a long time, if I remember correctly there was dungeon master(?) game from EA where you can spend money to rush dungeon room building

Resources drop more from crates and canisters so you won't get much from killing enemies and rush to extraction so it's exploring time

RNG will be RNG, it can smell your desire so you must have a calm mind, silent and serene heart to defeat it. Does Path of Exile have any RNG?

 

1 hour ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Ive honestly never felt the need to rush items. PoE is great, dont get me wrong, but my main gripe is the stinginess of its vanity/cosmetics. Also, while you do get free stash tabs, any serious player NEEDS to buy more. They also lock customizing your stash tab behind the more expensive "premium" stash tabs. You have to pay just to label your tabs or have them stack items efficiently. Its one of those small but "big" things. Personally, i felt far more forced to buy things in PoE that are QoL, than i do in WF. In Warframe, i learned early on how easy it is to trade for plat to buy slots/catalyst. Plat feels more like a player run currency than anything i need to buy. At a time i could earn 100p a week just from selling syndicate mods/weapons, and they were far easier and faster to sell than rivens, without the RNG. 

Buying power with money is an option in WF, but hardly necessary. I would assume most power buyers spending 2k plat on rivens are just using traded plat anyway. 

Any money spent on PoE is worth it though. They give you A LOT of game thats free to play. I dont want to give the impression that they gouge you for more than the game is worth. 

Guys I don't feel like arguing so i'll just say this so you know where I'm coming from. For me the best microtransaction systems are those that don't interfere with gameplay at all. If they do, the developers are designing their game around microtransactions as well not only around gameplay. This always results in a worse experience. Warframe negates this by giving you an option to earn plat through gameplay but it is still not perfect, because many systems are designed around making you spend said plat, not around making them be as fun as they can be.  

PoE has RNG but it is designed in a way to be fun because they don't have to take microtransactions into account. Do you thing that the game would be as fun if you could buy a currency booster or magic find booster? No, because they would be making the game intentionally more tedious than it needs to be to make you buy said boosters. 

I don't care about the price of cosmetic microtransactions because they don't interfere with gameplay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PoE and Dota 2 have better models than WF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll take Warframe over Path of Exile any day. Platinum in Warframe is 100% obtainable in unlimited quantities once you know how. It's not brain surgery nor rocket science. Path of Exile is unplayable without spending money on stash tabs. Anybody claiming different is dishonest. I have played both with mules and with stash tabs in PoE. There is no mistake. 

Warframe is not a competitive game, boosts and whatnot don't matter in the slightest. Since platinum is obtainable via trade starting from Mastery Rank 2, you will eventually be able to afford everything in the game. Tennogen and accessories are only for money yes, but seriously, you can only wear 1 thing at a time and the game offers a wide variety of options for platinum. 

Path of Exile is a fun game, if you're willing to invest. But if the question is, which is the better free to play, it doesn't hold a candle to Warframe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SneakyErvin said:

What power do you buy in WF?

Good Rivens, which are the only items that affect gameplay that you can't easily farm for.  

Prices are inflated by the fact that whales are buying up the best ones and hoard them.  

Just to be clear, I am not saying that there are not people out there with 100k+ plat that they got by trading, or that all people who have absurd rivens are whales, I am saying that whales are inflating the prices of the only sliver of endgame this game has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, zruncho said:

 

 

Guys I don't feel like arguing so i'll just say this so you know where I'm coming from. For me the best microtransaction systems are those that don't interfere with gameplay at all. If they do, the developers are designing their game around microtransactions as well not only around gameplay. This always results in a worse experience. Warframe negates this by giving you an option to earn plat through gameplay but it is still not perfect, because many systems are designed around making you spend said plat, not around making them be as fun as they can be.  

PoE has RNG but it is designed in a way to be fun because they don't have to take microtransactions into account. Do you thing that the game would be as fun if you could buy a currency booster or magic find booster? No, because they would be making the game intentionally more tedious than it needs to be to make you buy said boosters. 

I don't care about the price of cosmetic microtransactions because they don't interfere with gameplay. 

we'll have to just agree to disagree.  I guess if you truly believe that cosmetics, naming tabs and stacking items are meaningless, then yes PoE would feel like a better system. Its win/win for us gamers. Neither is truly bad and set great examples of F2P. 

Im just suprised Im not seeing many other comparable suggestions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, iLeo said:

Platinum in Warframe is 100% obtainable in unlimited quantities once you know how.

For the record, the only tradable plat is purchased plat. Sure, as a F2P player you can acquire it but someone has to purchase it before it can be traded to you. So no, it is not unlimited; its supply is directly related to how much players spend on plat or bundles that contain plat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

Platinum in Warframe is 100% obtainable in unlimited quantities once you know how.

Wrong, there is a tradelimit per day for a reason.  

This is not as much of a problem for players who maxed their MR out, but it extracts cash from all the new players who are frustrated by having 2-8 trades a day.  

The only way to make "unlimited quantities of plat" is to buy and resell rivens, which needs a very high initial investment to begin with, which only people that are not the target monetization audience of this game will have.  

All other ways of getting "unlimited plat" have to do with hoarding, which most people will never get to because it takes months to see your returns while also having a decently high initial investment cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Corvid said:

Like how the only thing you need from Warframe's shop is slots?

Stash Tabs are the only thing in Path of Exile that can be bought that has an effect on gameplay. Warframe with their premium currency and ability to buy almost everything with said currency is no where near that.

Someone who pays money in Warframe will ALWAYS be at a significant advantage over those that don't. Furthermore the game is built around having protracted grinds or RNG to get players to buy platinum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Bioness said:

Stash Tabs are the only thing in Path of Exile that can be bought that has an effect on gameplay. Warframe with their premium currency and ability to buy almost everything with said currency is no where near that.

Someone who pays money in Warframe will ALWAYS be at a significant advantage over those that don't. Furthermore the game is built around having protracted grinds or RNG to get players to buy platinum.

You dont play PoE then. Buying stash tabs to horde currency to trade is THE way to gain an advantage in that game. Far more so than Rivens. Tabs have a huge effect on gameplay if you want to talk about min/maxing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all who says PoE has better model, I want to remind one thing. The only items that can't be bought without spending real world money on your end in Warframe are Tennogen, and that is purely an issue with steam, not the game itself.

However one thing that PoE lacks is tradeable premium currency. So if you say 'you can buy power in Warframe', sure it's true, but it's always optional (unless it's the power of godly fashionframe that is). Although when you say about not being able to buy power in PoE, I can only glance at thouse 5 basic stash tabs you have and ask you 'where do you store that power then?' because in most cases your mountain of orbs pretty much defines your potential power as does that another pile of items you can use Chance on to get a desired Unique.

Long story short, in warframe you can buy power, whereas in PoE you will sooner or later have to.

And not to mention how absurdly overpriced pretty much everything is in PoE. (And there are lootboxes).

 

If you ask me to name a really worthy competitor, two come in mind.

First is Planetside 2, although the prices in certs for some cool weapons like Vanu's Lasher or NC's Railjack are just insanely grindy, the game itself is fun as hell (unless you are being farmed by ESFs or your framerate decides to go crazy), and on top of that there is no strictly more powerful guns to be had, beginner's gear is more or less equal, just less specialized, the only way in which you can increase power are certifications which can't even be bought with real money.

The second game is (or more likely was) Robocraft (2014 version of it, so F) it was more or less a perfect game in it's genre, a PvP shooter where you can build your own battle machine of omnipotent doom from scratch. It had some balance issues (like being dominated by weird looking flying bricks made of tetrahedrons), but everything except some minor cosmetics could be bought with ingame currency. Moreover, the game had premium system, which doubled xp and currency gain, but it also gave a stacking (5% iirc) bonus to income to everyone in your and opposing team, which could easily mean great boost for anyone in the match.

The game was pretty much destroyed by bad decisions then though (which is kinda sad), then there was some mess with lootboxes, and I'm not sure about its current state. But it was fun to melt down those tanks with a vtol helicopter with smgs all over its bottom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hypernaut1 said:

You dont play PoE then. Buying stash tabs to horde currency to trade is THE way to gain an advantage in that game. Far more so than Rivens. Tabs have a huge effect on gameplay if you want to talk about min/maxing. 

I have over 2k hours in PoE, don't tell me what I don't play. I'll be the first one to say that a player should buy stash tabs of they want to succeed in that game. The difference is you keep those stash tabs forever and are cheap enough that you could buy enough of them when you first start playing to never have to worry about storage again.

It does not compare in any way to buying items, frame, boosters, mods, credits, slots, reactors, catalysts, resources, etc in Warframe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heroes of the Storm. In fact it is so good for players that even got some news posts around about their monetization not being great for Blizzard.

I can also recommend/remember:

* Marvel Heroes (RIP)

* Path of Exile

I would not recommend Warframe. Not because the monetization is bad, but because they force some insane rng on top of rgn on top of rng that basically suggests you to spend Platinum or waste entire days of your life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...