Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hypernaut1

Warframe has by far the best F2P model. Is there any game out there that compares?

On 2019-08-29 at 7:52 AM, Envy123 said:

Path of exile Has even better.

Only thing you need from shop are stash tabs, nothing else. Hell, you dont even need stash tabs, since you Can make a lot of characters to use as "banks"

isn't there in path of the exile ridiculous costly cosmetics? if remember correctly they ask at least 20$ minimum for one of their premium currency pack, and cosmetics cost almost the whole amount you get in said currency? per piece of a set?

20 hours ago, Palsteron said:

The things you see in the shop (aka the things that remove plat from the economy) are there to entice you to buy platinum, they are the "bait", nothing more.      

The money transaction takes place when someone actually purchases platinum, not when he buys a skin (bait) for said platinum.  

Your statement would only be partially true if there was an exchange rate for platinum--> € that could be enforced at any time.        

Edit: After some more thought, I understand where you are coming from, you think of a "customer utopia situation" where all the plat that the owner of the riven received was distributed to people and therefore would make those people not spend money on platinum.  

This is a common missconception, but not reality. People quit with leftover plat, people hoard or people wouldn't spend at all if they had to actually buy platinum with real money.    

Just because I got 1k plat from a Riven trade that I now spend on cosmetics does not necessarily mean that I would have spent money on 1k platinum if that wasn't the case.  

So most of what the extra platinum injected into the system does is inflate the currency and therefore riven prices (which was my very first point that we circled away from)   

So while the conversion rate of what DE earns by getting plat purchases intended for "circulating plat" is not 1:1, it most definitely is part of their earnings/strategy.  

And the "bait" is the actual monetization model. Rivens are seperate from that and a player made economy. It is not DE's decision. They decided on "You get A, B and C for free" and "You need to buy X, Y and Z". Rivens fall under A, B and C because we get them through gameplay. You dont need to spend to get those, you spend to get those quicker, but a player still needs to obtain the mod you buy initially. Aswell as possibly rerolling it too. That is a player market and not part of the f2p monetization model of the game/company.

Just as primes arent part of the monetization model either, until at the point where you buy a prime access straight from DE. The rest is just player economy and a player market, something DE doesnt interfear with.

And you assume there are actual whales that spend cash on rivens when it is verly likely just trade barons shifting plat that far up in the riven market. Because that is what many do with their time, trade. It isnt an uncommon thing that such a thing becomes the focus of a group of players, it happens in every single online game. They barely play the actual game outside of possibly farming mats to reroll so they can sell and buy. It becomes an addiction.

It has been the same ever since I played DaoC, you have the guys just sitting there to make "money" and get a massive hoard. In Marvel Heroes there were people just sitting a trading runes and artefacts all day long just to get slightly "richer" and go from a +348 stat item to a +349 to stuff in their bank stash.

20 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

PoE also has lootboxes. The closest thing WF had to lootboxes were mod pack, but they were for mods you could easily get in game or trade for. transmuting with credits served the same purpose too, so it still wasn't a cash exclusive thing to get random mods.

And iirc PoE has a more expensive $:currency ratio aswell in their shop.

46 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

And the "bait" is the actual monetization model. Rivens are seperate from that and a player made economy. It is not DE's decision.

Since I 100% disagree with this opening statement alone, which is the base root of your argument, and we are already kind of running in circles, lets agree to disagree here!  :P 

I don't see how people blame DE for the Riven market. You guys do know that we could all just trade rivens 1:1 right? It's the players that choose to use plat. DE has nothing to do with that. 

If anything, allowing us to trade using plat is to the PLAYERS benefit, not DEs. I know I for one skipped several 75% off coupons because of how easy it is to earn plat through trade. 

The Riven market is really more like a pay day system to free players. I'm sure most players here have gotten at least one riven they could sell unrolled for 500p. 

1 hour ago, Hypernaut1 said:

I don't see how people blame DE for the Riven market. You guys do know that we could all just trade rivens 1:1 right? It's the players that choose to use plat. DE has nothing to do with that. 

If anything, allowing us to trade using plat is to the PLAYERS benefit, not DEs. I know I for one skipped several 75% off coupons because of how easy it is to earn plat through trade. 

The Riven market is really more like a pay day system to free players. I'm sure most players here have gotten at least one riven they could sell unrolled for 500p. 

Pretty much this. It is the greedy nature of players and not DE that is behind the riven economy. As I said to the other guy before, I dont think anyone at DE planned or expected them to go for anywhere near the prices they do. And it isnt something DE can change because they have already once said they will not meddle with the market of the players since it is a player driven economy.

And as you say, most players have very likely gotten atleast one they can sell unrolled for 500. Personally I've never bought a riven and I've gotten one for most every weapon I enjoy. The only two I currently use that dont have them would be Catchmoon and Fulmin, neither of which needs them to begin with. My Fulmin is my nulli-buster and my catchmoon is my everything-buster as they are in their unrivened state. The weapons I mostly use where the rivens are nice would be on my Cyath and Kripath, neither of them really needs them, but they are nice QoL upgrades that lets me skip one or two regular mods and fit in some utility instead.

I also agree it is to the benefit of the player, since more people can get away with playing free or near free. I think I've bought two 1k plat bundles since I started, both at 75% discount and never really felt the need to buy more except for that itchy feeling when farming for a skin that "it will go faster" if I buy it. So far I've resisted.

On 2019-08-29 at 2:10 PM, Palsteron said:

Wrong, there is a tradelimit per day for a reason.  

This is not as much of a problem for players who maxed their MR out, but it extracts cash from all the new players who are frustrated by having 2-8 trades a day.  

The only way to make "unlimited quantities of plat" is to buy and resell rivens, which needs a very high initial investment to begin with, which only people that are not the target monetization audience of this game will have.  

All other ways of getting "unlimited plat" have to do with hoarding, which most people will never get to because it takes months to see your returns while also having a decently high initial investment cost.

Please don't give me credit for iLeo's quote; I want nothing to do with that statement.