Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(PC) Gauss / Signature Weapons Feedback

[DE]Danielle

On 2019-08-29 at 6:13 PM, Sumarbrandr said:

His damage abilities falls off hard on higher levels. While it's really fun to play him on lower levels, on higher levels (sortie and above) even unarmored (corpus, infested) enemies can survive multiple Thermal Sunder combos on Redline even on a max strenght build . And his buffs aren't that strong to be worth it. There's no trade-off for this lower ability range for a really high damage unfortunately.

I suggest buffs.

Edit:

Also, redline is too weak for a ult buff. Wisp does everything better with her one.

At higher levels as far as Gauss goes you want o stick with Redline and use Thermal Sunder for a Condition Overload Primer with a weapon like Tatsu or Paracesis with Cleaving Whirlwind equipped (for the 300x extra damage form Broken Bull's Spin attacks).

Also DE no head shots with Akarius? I think that needs to be a thing... Like Alt fire=Manual Aim would be appreciated

• Like 1

On 2019-08-29 at 6:18 PM, arm4geddon-117 said:

Really disappointed so far, Upkeep wise he's got the worst dmg mitigation ability which is draining battery on hits, battery per second, and duration based and his 4th is a pain in the ass just to get to the 100% limit and with enemies shooting at you charging that damn battery is a hell of a pain.

If you don't want your battery to drain from using his 2... Keep Moving, use Mach Rush Liberally to reposition like his main game is stick and run... which it is

On 2019-08-29 at 9:18 PM, arm4geddon-117 said:

remove the ties to battery level , once you get at full battery ( no redline) it stays there for the whole duration or remove it's duration since it's already draining battery per second and make it a channel ability or whatever...

This is the best suggestion I've seen for Gauss. 

As for Gauss' battery, it doesn't really do much on its own does it? It scales the powers to a degree, but you're not really managing the meter, it basically just stays at 80% forever until you use Redline (and Redline just isn't even worth casting). I would change Redline to a channeled, "cast and forget" type ability, but cause it to slowly drain Gauss' health if over the Redline. In addition to this, I would give Gauss some means of healing himself, perhaps tied to his second power. Maybe hold the #2 power to devour some of the battery to restore a matching percentage of Gauss' health, sort of akin to absorbing the kinetic energy. This would give Gauss a trickier moveset, and enable true management of the battery, all without sacrificing anything he currently has.

Edit: One other nitpick I have; there's seemingly no way to color the hot version of the 3rd power differently from the cold version. I want a ring of fire and a ring of frost!

Edited by Hrodgrim

Changing Redline to be a channeled ability would cut off a lot of energy restoration options for Gauss, and make energy more problematic for him. I don't understand what the problem is with it being duration based. You just have to press a button to turn it on every so often. It has the same duration as Kinetic Plating, which I appreciate, so it's easy to turn them both on at the same time - and Redline exploding when it ends makes it easier for me to notice that Kinetic Plating is also ready to end.

• Like 1

So thermal sunder damage over time decreases with the diminishing range of the area, Why would that be a feature if the area already decreases in size and you need to cast it more than once to get full damage?

Also reminder that mach rush doesn't damage enemies you directly run into despite turning gauss into a high speed object.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb maddragonmaster:

excuese me but gauss' redline doesn't do electricity. it inflicts impact and puncture. not electricity

"While battery power level is above the Redline limit release, damaging projectiles of arcing electricity will periodically shoot out from Gauss and home in on nearby enemies, dealing 100 / 200 / 300 / 400 Impact b Impactand Puncture b Puncture damage. On deactivation, explosive bursts of kinetic energy are released around Gauss."

I was referring to that.

2 hours ago, Jynx41174 said:

At higher levels as far as Gauss goes you want o stick with Redline and use Thermal Sunder for a Condition Overload Primer with a weapon like Tatsu or Paracesis with Cleaving Whirlwind equipped (for the 300x extra damage form Broken Bull's Spin attacks).

Also DE no head shots with Akarius? I think that needs to be a thing... Like Alt fire=Manual Aim would be appreciated

Agreed, I'm using him at higher levels going with Boar Prime/Gram Prime and Redline build. It works, but I do think he needs a little more boom on his kit. He's great at concept, but I think he suffers of a pretty bad problem that a frame can't suffer: even with a optimal build (high duration, formaed), he feels unmodded, like I just reached level 30.

On 2019-08-29 at 5:59 PM, THEWR3CK said:

STOP putting mustaches on warframes. I can't stand them and won't buy them. Both Gauss and wukong  samadhi skin have them. I can't stand this trend and it ruins all the new artwork.

This is what is called a non issue. Please dont comment on things like appearance here as it dilutes the conversation. Also their tusks, not a mustache. 

So after sitting and thinking about what bothered me most about gauss I finally noticed found what it was the fealt off. Shooting/ meleeing seems to count as him not moving. Even if you're strafing, moving forward it's somewhat penalizing you for that action.  Redline's whole mechanic is a scaling buff that ramps up and get's stronger, but taking advantage of that fact feels like the incorrect way to play. Say you're fighting and doing your combos right? All the while even without 2 active you're losing battery charge because the game seems to be considering you still. I can be moving forward with bleeding willow stance on a polarm slapping enemies and losing charge all the while which get's worse mixed in with his 2's passive drain.

I feel like fighting with melee/ moving whilst shooting should still contribute to gaining charge and taking advantage of 2's melee benefits. 

6 minutes ago, SteveCutler said:

It counts for me.

What weapon class are you using? also how are your stats set up? I can gain it by sprinting but when I'm meleeing I'm loosing it fairly quickly even without 2 on.

Are you talking about when redline is active or inactive. Because with it inactive I do gain some battery with melee strikes but with redline active I hemorrhage battery trying to melee enemies with a staff just doing normal combos. 

Edited by KillaJoke1
Adding a question for further clarification.

It absolutely counts for me. I actually really don't understand how people are struggling to maintain battery charge during Redline. It seems super easy and trivial to me, to the point where it's just constantly full without me even thinking about it. I can only think that either there's some bug affecting some people, or otherwise it's a big difference in playstyle. You can't just stand still and slowly line up shots at enemies - you have to keep on moving constantly. Gauss seems designed for the kind of player that's constantly running and gunning, bullet jumping around, aim gliding while lining up shots, doing constant parkour as evasive maneuvers, etc.

As the Lotus says: if the battle seems out of control, Tenno, then you're not going fast enough. 😉

I've tested this quite a bit. The battery charge rate seems to be directly tied to your movement speed or distance travelled. Cover more distance and you build more charge. It doesn't matter how you move, as long as you're moving. You can be running, rolling, sliding, jumping, aim gliding, shooting, meleeing, melee slamming, wall running, whatever. Just keep moving fast.

Now, do keep in mind that many melee stances are poorly made, and bring you to a slow crawl or lock you into forced animations while you attack. I suspect this is the root of the problem. Those stances will hopefully be fixed with Melee 3.0, if they ever get around to finishing that. In the meantime, the following stances let you melee while sprinting at full speed:

• Claws: Malicious Raptor
  • Claws: Vermillion Storm
  • Nikanas: Decisive Judgement
  • Nunchakus: Atlantis Vulcan
  • Rapiers: Vulpine Mask
  • Sword and Shield: Eleventh Storm

I can say with 100% certainty, that yes, I absolutely do build battery during Redline + Kinetic Plating while running and meleeing, or while running and shooting.

Running and shooting builds it a bit slower compared to meleeing, as you can't sprint while shooting, but even so it still outweighs the drain of Redline. For shooting, I find bullet jumping and shooting in the air much better, as you go faster and build more battery.

Edit: I'll add that I'm running a >200% duration and 175% efficiency build, with Sprint Boost, Rush, and Amalgam Serration. Keep in mind that mobility mods will let you move faster and therefore build more battery. I haven't yet tested if efficiency affects Redline's drain rate, but I don't think it does.

Edited by SteveCutler

1 hour ago, SteveCutler said:

It absolutely counts for me. I actually really don't understand how people are struggling to maintain battery charge during Redline. It seems super easy and trivial to me, to the point where it's just constantly full without me even thinking about it. I can only think that either there's some bug affecting some people, or otherwise it's a big difference in playstyle. You can't just stand still and slowly line up shots at enemies - you have to keep on moving constantly. Gauss seems designed for the kind of player that's constantly running and gunning, bullet jumping around, aim gliding while lining up shots, doing constant parkour as evasive maneuvers, etc.

As the Lotus says: if the battle seems out of control, Tenno, then you're not going fast enough. 😉

I've tested this quite a bit. The battery charge rate seems to be directly tied to your movement speed or distance travelled. Cover more distance and you build more charge. It doesn't matter how you move, as long as you're moving. You can be running, rolling, sliding, jumping, aim gliding, shooting, meleeing, melee slamming, wall running, whatever. Just keep moving fast.

Now, do keep in mind that many melee stances are poorly made, and bring you to a slow crawl or lock you into forced animations while you attack. I suspect this is the root of the problem. Those stances will hopefully be fixed with Melee 3.0, if they ever get around to finishing that. In the meantime, the following stances let you melee while sprinting at full speed:

I can say with 100% certainty, that yes, I absolutely do build battery during Redline + Kinetic Plating while running and meleeing, or while running and shooting.

Running and shooting builds it a bit slower compared to meleeing, as you can't sprint while shooting, but even so it still outweighs the drain of Redline. For shooting, I find bullet jumping and shooting in the air much better, as you go faster and build more battery.

Edit: I'll add that I'm running a >200% duration and 175% efficiency build, with Sprint Boost, Rush, and Amalgam Serration. Keep in mind that mobility mods will let you move faster and therefore build more battery. I haven't yet tested if efficiency affects Redline's drain rate, but I don't think it does.

Somehow you seem to be missing the point. We are saying shooting and using melee still drains battery extremely fast while using kinetic plating and redline together. The only way to stay above redline is by spamming 1 and 3 in that state. Now is it fun to be force to run around mindlessly with 2 skills that barely make a difference just to build up a gauge? On a side note, Redline meter should fill quicker with the more enemies gauss hits with mach rush

Acceltra and Akarius need to have their safety feature adjusted so that projectiles don't detonate if you run into the blast radius or should have their self-damage (but not their minimum arming distance) removed entirely. Both of them are relatively rapid fire, indiscriminate weapons that also encourage you to use them with the Warframe whose entire playstyle is running into things at top speed. This is an incredible anti-synergy and it's just kind of silly that the guns simultaneously reward you for running right into fights at top speed and punishes you for doing so by making the safety system ineffective when you're playing in a way the other traits of the weapon encourages-spamming shots while running at full speed.

• Like 2

So, Gauss has access to all of his kit at full potency the moment you activate redline and go over 80% battery.  His 1 and 3 have max benefit the instant you're at 81% battery.  You can then immediately push your battery to 100% and get max benefit from all of your buffs.  The benefits are fleeting without constant casting, but they're there.  The only thing that charging the redline meter to 100% gets you is a reduction to the battery cost of 3 skills - kinetic shielding, heat thermal sunder, and redline itself.  

All in all, this has only 1 effect on gameplay, which is to induce a cyclical panic and relaxation on the part of the player.  As soon as you activate redline, you're panicked, trying to keep the battery topped off.  This slowly tapers off as the meter climbs and the battery stabilizes.  When you finally reach 100% redline meter, you get to relax and stop spamming your face into the wall for a 3rd of your redline duration.  At this point, you can spam heat sunders to your hearts content, knowing that you're only wasting energy and not battery charge as well.  That's not a very climactic finish.  **Rather than a sense of unleashed power, you just get a break from micromanaging battery charge.**

Redline's cyclical effect on Gauss's gameplay loop is short, frequent, tedious, and induces burnout more than anything else.  It doesn't change *how* you're playing Gauss, since all of the significant bonuses are available right out of the gate.  Instead it just makes you needlessly spam abilities.

There are a few possible solutions to all of this.

A - Allow the Redline meter growth rate to scale directly with duration or strength (or both).  More stats, faster charge.  Let the player enjoy the effects of redline a bit more, with a bit less micro-managing of a gauge, and a bit less frantic spamming.

B - Allow 100% redline meter effect to apply as soon as the battery is over 80%.  Perhaps reduce battery charge gained from abilities in the 80-100% range to balance.  You would still spam like crazy at the start of redline if you wanted to get to 100% right away.  But, you could also play more leisurely if you so chose.

C - Allow gameplay to somehow extend the redline buff duration as a result of skill such that reaching 100% redline meter is a reward that can be sustained and enjoyed, preferably indefinitely.  You'd still have a spammy start to redline, but you won't have to repeat it unless you mess up and lose your buff somehow.

D - Add some bonus effect that only happens when you reach 100% redline meter that makes it *feel powerful* and changes how his kit works.  The baseline effect of redline is to reduce energy cost, reduce charge cost, allow 2 and 3 to do the same stuff a bit better, and provide some speed boosts.  Some 100% redline effects could include doubled damage on 1 and 3, no more 3 shrinkage, amplified damage reflection on 2 or allow absorbed damage to refill your gun's magazine, aoe slash procs from 4's arcs, melee shock waves like an exalted weapon, etc.

7 minutes ago, SteveCutler said:

It absolutely counts for me. I actually really don't understand how people are struggling to maintain battery charge during Redline. It seems super easy and trivial to me, to the point where it's just constantly full without me even thinking about it. I can only think that either there's some bug affecting some people, or otherwise it's a big difference in playstyle. You can't just stand still and slowly line up shots at enemies - you have to keep on moving constantly. Gauss seems designed for the kind of player that's constantly running and gunning, bullet jumping around, aim gliding while lining up shots, doing constant parkour as evasive maneuvers, etc. As the Lotus says: if the battle seems out of control, Tenno, then you're not going fast enough. 😉

I can say with 100% certainty, that yes, I absolutely do build battery during Redline while running and meleeing, or while running and shooting.

Edit: I'll add that I'm running a >200% duration and 175% efficiency build. I haven't yet tested if efficiency affects it, but I don't think it does.

Thank you. This makes sense and after having a play with those weapons it holds up. Previously one of the stances of polearms behaved like this but after melee 3.0 it lost that functionality. I do wish that sprint mods affected over all speed or mods that had that effect. 

Now it does make me wonder if this advice can carry over for mods like agile aim. 

• Like 1

While testing him more, I got he is super fun but has serious problem for high level mission.

His 1 is great. I love Immediate acceleration with CC and cool effect. but I want remove the “cool time” which appeared just after the moving of this ability.

His 2 grant 100% damage reduction only when the gauge is max including Rediline’s extra. Without Redline it cannot reach 100% ever. In addition even if the gauge is enough, he is still vulnerable against some elements like toxin, which makes him super difficult to be alive in high level infestation mission and so on. This ability is apparently designed to be used with Redline, as u can see their similar duration, but reducing battery is nuisance and making it completely impossible to maintain gauge without spamming his 1or 3 If use 2 and 4 together.

His 3 is maybe designed as CC to cover how he is squishy , but the base range and gradually decreasing it make unreliable as well as damage reduction of his 2. Also I could not find the situation to hold the ability key anytime.

His 4 is so cooooool with effect and motion, however, some claim it’s already enough though, it has simple 2 issues. First, battery reducing speed is too fast. Yes the battery charge can be obtained while aim glide, sliding, and even running so u can fire your weapon while charging. However with his 2 activated together  the battery reducing speed is faster than any moving action, so u cannot keep battery near max without spamming his 1 or 3 at the price of shooting time. Even without 2, it is still pain in small rooms and for console players to shoot enemies while constantly moving with aim glide/sliding. And the second issues is, well known around people, overcharging speed scales with duration. To get 100% you have to spend almost half of ability duration at least, and as long as u cannot keep gauge high, the time to over charge would increase more. I don’t think to get 100% is not necessary if it is possible gauss maintain the battery charge while shooting, but it is not. So I do suggest just decrease the amount of battery cost or make his 4 over charging faster in anyway.

Sorry for bad English because I’m not native.

On 2019-08-29 at 11:29 PM, [DE]Danielle said:

This thread will be used to house your feedback on the newest Warframe from Saint of Altra: Update 25.7.0: GAUSS and his Signature Weapons the ACCELTRA and AKARIUS

GAUSS: 

ACCELTRA:
Using a barrage of rapid-fire plasma rockets, Gauss’ signature weapon lays down a path of destruction. Reloads are faster while sprinting, even more so in Gauss’ hands. For safety, rockets arm after traveling safe distance.

AKARIUS:
Bombard legions of enemies with target seeking rockets. These dual launchers reload faster while sprinting, even more so in Gauss’ hands. Rockets arm after reaching a safe distance.

Before posting feedback on Gauss and/or his Signature Weapons be sure to spend enough time with him/them in different missions! Once you feel you have a handle on what he’s/they are all about, and would like to share your thoughts, expand the spoilers below for a fast guide from a Dev side to write good, useful feedback. A well constructed and thought out post is the way to go! 

Reveal hidden contents

1. Keep it simple
Write simple, directed points about the topic you feel strongly about. Remember to be constructive and to the point.

2. Back it up
Support your points with concrete points. X has better stats than Y. This ability is less useful when considering X. Provide in-game situational evidence or a solid foundation for your argument to rest upon.

3. Be polite

The best feedback occurs when two people discuss opposing viewpoints to find a constructive middle ground. Discussion is a natural part of feedback! Ensuring that it is polite and without personal attacks is key. We’re far less inclined to listen to feedback filled with personal attacks and rude speech. We are all trying our best!

The Forums can be an amazing tool when used correctly. We look forward to hearing your thoughts on Gauss! 

Need to report a bug? Visit the Saint Of Altra Bug Reporting megathread.

Without going into too much details i think his skill synergy is really good. His battery management is crucial to a lot of his skills. If i have one issue with Gauss is, his Battery level is not loud enough. Would it be possible to change the colour of the meter from green (max charge) -> orange/yellow (half charge) -> red (low charge) -> blinking red + pulsing sound to indicate that the battery level is almost depleted. I have been caught many times with a battery level 0 in the heat of the battle.

GAUSS:

I really like Gauss, he dropped very well tuned and I have just a few things to say:

0)Idle animations:

Gauss noble especially plays like a bad loop, where there seems to be a pause when the animation cycle ends and restarts.

1) Mach rush: 

Feels great to use!

• Directional dashing would be cool. Sometimes I would want to dash right or left instead of forwards, and it felt somewhat restricting. This especially can pose a problem in tight spaces if you have a nullifier crowding you or you are using a self-damage weapon. I've sometimes run right into the aoe.
  • A way to scale the damage it does would be welcome, such as storing the damage inflicted in kinetic plating and dealing it as slash.
  • Lowering cost/drain would be helpful because of how much you use this!

2)Kinetic Plating:

Powerful, but needs some tweaking,

• Energy given is not enough. Please buff the conversion rate. Energy upkeep with Gauss is quite difficult without arcanes/external sources like syndicate procs.

3)Thermal Sunder:

Restrictive.

• Armor strip is not noticeable. Please buff to completely strip in 100% redline! Saryn can already do this mapwide, gauss doing it in 18-20 meters is quite alright.
  • AoE effect should persist in its active area. It's already really short ranged and costs a lot, it would not at all break the game to give it this much in return.
  • I haven't been able to figure out if it does, but if it doesn't then letting his 3 build also contribute to redline overcharge would be awesome
  • Fire effect needs to have something additional as right now it's not really worth using. It's kind of because fire is such a weak status element at the moment. Give it something like a health leech or damage bonus?
  • Particle effects are overwhelming. They're pretty, but they completely blind you! Toning then down a bit would be excellent, or have them dissipate after casting.

3)Redline:

YES YES YES YES

• Tweaking the charging mechanic to be slightly more forgiving would be great. RIght now you can reach 100% in half the duration in most tilesets. 
  • Please extend buff to teammates. This is a COOP game DE!

Overall he feels great and is powerful at the same time, good job to the team!

ACCELTRA

It's a fun gun, why do you insist on giving it such a measly ammo count? It's not even crazy powerful! It's in a twin viper wraith kind of position where you two tap to go empty.

• Give it a rechargeable battery instead of ammo, that charges faster when sprinting and overcharges with more damaging rounds when sprinting faster than normal, such as with gauss' mach rush or volt speed. Much more thematic and sustainable!
  • Can we gave a bit more status, like 10-5% please!
Edited by Evanescent
  • Like 2

Hotfix 27.4 :

Now seriously what the hell is the point of feedback when you blatantly ignore all of it ?

11 pages of players complaining about Gauss kinetic platin draining battery per second, battery per hit and tied to duration, and you come up with this ?

Reviving team mates really ?

Are you seriously trolling us or what ?

I play countless games and endurances where none of my mates die.

This is seriously a goddamn joke

Edited by arm4geddon-117
  • Like 8

Having the battery charge while reviving a teammate is a good change, in my opinion. From my gameplay with Gauss so far, I find that I typically have no problem keeping my battery charged, because I'm always moving. The only time it really drops significantly is when I have to revive a dead teammate, as it's the only time when I'm forced to stay still. I'd get punished for helping my squad, or otherwise avoid helping others to keep my battery up. So this is a good change!

I LOVE Gauss! Have dropped my main (Limbo) and have been playing him for days. However, hes a little rough around the edges.

I suggest that as you rev your battery closer to (and past) Redline that you get an increase in base sprint speed. Maybe capped up to 0.5 increase to base or lower? The idea of reving a fast car IS to go FASTER. Not nearly as much pleasure having max speed from the start.

Secondly, allow his projectiles and AOE run/slam in at least redline to do more bonus damage based on battery level. Not just all hit a second level  to add flying bolts when past the threshold. As it stands, throwing enemies around is a good feeling for going fast, but it makes them harder to kill (prone + ragdolled) and doesn't kill on its own. At the very least he needs a buff to reward good players for managing a second resource bar efficiently. Not something most frames; even Nidus, Inaros OR GARUDA, have to worry nearly as much about!

Right now, ember and valkyr who are low aoe damage (compared to equinox or mesa for example) and very selfish respectively bring more to a star chart mission of any kind than he does.

Example 1: Ember, she uses her CC in a much larger area, buffs allies damage if its fire and does some DoT. With her CC tho, enemies and their heads are easier to hit.

Example 2: Valkr, she has been said to be problematic because of how selfish her kit is, but at the very least she has 2 kinds of CC and a team damage + attack speed buff.

I'm not saying he needs to be more like them. I AM saying that as low on the team play list as valkyr is and as weak as ember is right now he should be either stronger scaling or more generous to other players to compensate.

His 3 is fine barring possibly a little more base range so that its feesable as CC (it also doesn't  do damage but thats okay for one ability) or to allow you ro build for duration and use narrow-minded with range bigger than a single enemy.

Edited by MokutoBunshi

Latest Hotfix

The one thing you lot decide to hotfix about Gauss has nothing to do with anything we have been talking about in this thread, I'm a little upset.
"Gauss’ battery meter now builds when Reviving a teammate!" must be a joke.

• Like 9