Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(PC) Gauss / Signature Weapons Feedback

[DE]Danielle

So after seeing a couple vids showing speed buffed mach rushes, I realized that the damage component is still lacking no matter how fast you go.

Along with needing a damage component against enemies you directly mach rush into, the ram and shockwave damage should scale with speed like how heavy impact does. Maybe the range too but definitely the damage part.

So, even considering that many players (mayself included) misunderstood the meaning of the % redline indicator, imo the "100%" mechanic still needs some tweaking or changes.
The battery cost reduction will benefit his 2 and 3, but charging it up is too much of a hazzle/too unpredictable to rely on the mechanic. Having unlimited battery for 10-ish seconds after focusing on spamming Mach Rush for 30 seconds isn't worth it.

Both Redline and Mach Rush should also have some sprint speed boosts in them, but i already went over that in a previous comment.

Edited by Tsunamie101
  • Like 2

On 2019-09-06 at 9:10 PM, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

I have not yet had hands on experience with him yet as I am on console.  I can only go off of what I see from verified content creators that have done great work in the past both explaining things and making builds.  It has been from my perspective that battery/energy upkeep isn't a problem from the several videos that i've watched.  That being said, I'm not inherently against loosening some of the pressure of maintaining when it comes to the drain through kinetic plating or redline a little.  I just can't deffinitively get behind it based on what I have in front of me.

fair enough.

21 hours ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

I have not personally witnessed anyone lose their entire battery in a short period of time in the hours of footage i've watched.  I'm not saying it's out right impossible.  I am saying if it's happening given the information I have it seems to me that the cause isn't a frame problem but someone playing wrong/poorly.

look. i know you play console but right now you if you are not able to play the game as gauss and be able to decide yourself whether gauss is ok or not then your not really helping calling someone wrong for expressing their frustrating with gauss. only thing your doing is  for the lack of better word is whipping the allready frustrated players that actually have access to gauss into a frenzy.

On 2019-09-06 at 9:10 PM, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

I mean in that case it was poor core design of his kit over them forcing a specific style of play.

yeah. can't really deny that.

10 hours ago, SteveCutler said:

How strange! This does seem to be the case in that video clip, but it still doesn't match my experience.

Even with how it is on your end, I still wouldn't say that's a massive amount of drain. It looks rather slow.

well then try stacking plenty of duration in and then see why people are having issues. people are piling duration on gauss, like how every expects it works since high duration equals higher buff, because i did some testing with gauss by having 183% duration and while i can slowly build up, and why i have found out is that gauss is too demanding of playing a specific style with no leniency to allow people some time to properly play or enjoy gauss when some minor adjustments could be done to make him better. because sure if you have a specific ammount of duration you can keep up redline and kenetic playing passively, though some players can't react fast enough to make best of the way gauss is currently. 

i and others have trouble keeping up with the demands of gauss' playstyle currently and ask to at least give us a reprieve between sprinting and using abilities. just because some people called gauss terrible doesn't mean you have to butt heads with every single player that expresses their frustration with gauss. because despite gauss being the speed frame we have to tip toe around and make sure to play one irritating balancing act when we just want to run in and play the frame the way we want to play, and there is no "your playing him wrong" or "maybe he isn't for you" thats going to prevent us from playing him if we care for him enough.

• Like 1

I tested a bit more: (No sprint mods, 254% Duration, 130% Efficiency, 110% Strength)

With kinetic plating and redline active, the battery charges extremely slowly while sprinting and battery is under 80%. As long as Battery level is above 80%, I can sprint and bullet jump as much as I want, the battery level goes down fast and stops at 80%.

To benefit from Redline, I am constantly forced to either tap 3 or tap 1. To get the full benefit from Redline (100% or even only 95% Battery charge) I need to use 1 or 3 roughly every second if I want to do anything besides only sprinting.

Also a fun little quirk: Battery does not charge when bullet jumping straight in the air, only sprinting and bullet jumps on the ground in any direction charge the battery. This makes no sense.

I have been playing him since he got released and can confidently say that while his style, sounds and looks, especially from his abilities, are perfectly done, you have to work hard and exploit his whole kit to play him efficiently. This easily gets you through most content but no matter how much you master Gauss, he is still mediocre compared to many other frames and will probably never perform as good as those.

If you want to be a weak mix of chroma and volt, just go for 34% Range with as much duration, strength and efficiency as possible. Then he is as chill as most other frames, just weaker and less useful.

If you want to play a stronger, faster frame (for anything except open world), play either Volt or Wukong. If you are going for open world, play Volt or Wukong and jump into your Itzal to still be way faster.

I will keep playing him because I can still do most missions easily and his art style appeals to me the most by faaaar.

With Redline and Kinetic plating you can be a good Melee-Only Frame if an even more hectic Spin2Win is your style. Thanks but no thanks.

• Like 3

If I could give some thoughts on Gauss;

Mach Rush:

I feel like this shouldn't be based on a distance/energy but rather be on a energy/sec but the distance/energy is fine in most cases.

We should have the option of directional dash, like dashing backwards and sideways would be nice. Also we should have more control over turning, when using his Rush, it feels like being in a Drag car, fast in only a straight line. Having cornering like a human turning while sprinting would not be broken in anyway, but feels more human-like.

This ability should have a insta-kill when an enemy's health is below a certain percentage like Garuda since running over someone at high speeds should not just knock them down even under all that shields and armor. A in-between would be dealing a mild percentage of their total health as true damage upon impact with Gauss while Rushing.

Thermal Sunder:

The ability feels weird for something related to temperature. The ring shouldn't shrink over time no matter be it Cold Sunder or Heat Sunder, but rather linger around like Baruuk's Lull or Ember's Fire Blast.

Redline:

It is sensible that the buffs in question are in relation of movement in some shape or form, like fire rate and holster speed, but not having melee attack speed feels like a missing component. Is it to ensure that we don't have too many frames that can buff melee attack speed? Valkyr's Warcry, Volt's speed, Wisp's Haste Mote are the ones I can think while typing this out.

Why do we have to mod for duration for the buffs for this ability? It makes sense for all other frames to build for power strength to increase their % buff, but why duration? Why not let us mod for strength?

Also it's weird that Gauss is mainly selfish for his buffs only. All other frames can give a buff to their teammates in their own way but not Gauss. It should give the same buffs to his teammates like an aura similar to Chroma or work as a buff like the rest of the buff abilities, allies within the radius of initial cast get the buff until the duration ends. 

Adding on a few points:

His damage is really lackluster, even with repeated casts of his Heat Sunder, he should have some form of damage scaling on him. Radiating heat from his own body should have high damage numbers on enemies and freezing the area around him should have alot more slowing effects on enemies and damage them at the same time.

He honestly feels like a solo-ist frame, everything is for his own benefit and doesn't add to anything in a team setting. Honestly while playing him in beginner missions to sortie level, he feels like a worse pre-reworked Wukong since at least Wukong at that time had some damage to him in his kit.

So far playing gauss, the abilities are mostly balanced in my opinion.
However, in my opinion there is a major issue with the Redline ability and how it is negatively affected by duration mods.  (Correct me if im wrong pls) 

1. Mach Rush
Rushing forward building battery charge seems fine at first but at 100% effeciency it doesnt seem right that tapping this ability should be more effecient than holding it for a duration. 
Damage from this ability should feel rewarding if gauss is used correctly. (ie. Redline and kinetic plating active). Also logically speaking this ability should be able to go through walls since its a, you know, shockwave of someone running at mach speed into a wall.  I dont really care if the range is nerfed slightly but seeing that one grineer surviving my human bullet slam because he was hiding behind a pillow is somewhat infuriating.
Suggestion: Make Mach Rush reward more charge by holding than tapping. Have the damage scale with redline's charge. Hit enemies through walls.

2. Kinetic Plating
Damage reduction at scaling from 20%-100% to me seems like a huge gap but this is probably the way as intended to counteract the not so good energy conversion from the ability.
Suggestion: lower the range instead of 20%-100% to maybe around 40%-80% to provide more defence in panic situations where redline is not charged sufficently.
OR
Make it such that Kinetic plating generates battery charge when hit rather than draining it and cap the DR to 90% similar to gara's ability. This would seem more in line since gauss abosrbs the kinetic energy from the gunfire. 

The energy conversion could either be scaled with power strength or the base % could be buffed as 5% is just too low IMO

3. Thermal Sunder
Damage from this ability seems resonable for mid level content but falls off as enemies scale up with armor. But no matter how thermal sunder's cold ver is used, it only charges  a small amount of the battery.
The synergy with redline are not bad and the base synergies are mediocre at best. 
Suggestion: Have the damage scale with redline (maybe double it at 100% redline charge) but also keep the redline synergy restricted until the redline is fully charged. (See redline) Also, make it such that the battery gained scaled with enemies hit rather than a flat amount. This would reward situational use of Mach Rush vs Thermal Sunder.

4. Redline
Why does the charge rate scale with duration. Just Why. Multiple test concluded that redline charges as to max at around half of the duration. So if you have like a 60s redline, you wont get the benifits of no battery drain for half a minute. But if you have a 20s redline you can charge it up within 10s so yay??. I understand the part of scaling it to be half of the duraion so that people can still get 100% without using duration mods or going lower than 100% ability dur but by doing this its punishing the above 100% duration builds

Having the ability scale off duration seems fine on paper(like having to rev an engine for 2x loger gives 2x the power) but because of the 100% redline = lose no battery power and the charge rate being so unbearably slow at higher duration builds, it just feeds a vicious cycle because you cant get redline fully charged. 
Ie: No redline 100%= Kinetic plating will drain battery=Cannot charge redline= very low DR=dead

Edit:Realised i didnt touch on the scaling part so I've added it.

Suggestion: Make it such that the ability's charge rate have a lower limit, which allows for the duration builds to have its perks for building duration. And by doing so allows the Thermal Sunder synergy to be locked behind a charge limit. This forces players to work for their damage at the same time allowing for more lienency towards playing gauss. Also make the % scale from ability strength. A cap would be unneccesary as harrow could literally do the same or even better by pressing his Penance Skill

But I'm no expert in game balance so take this with a pinch of salt. Hopefully i didnt say anything too gamebreaking or offend anyon.

Edited by Trolzor1

9 minutes ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

Does anybody here know how long it takes them to uppload a patch for gauss based on these feedbacks?

Or they usually ignore it anyway?

Well, as far as releases could have gone gauss got a bad one. He was released Friday, followed by a 3 day weekend, and therefore he had a short week (4 days) for them to take in feedback and talk through/work on possible changes, while seeing the data they had. It is also current the weekend, so nothing will happen today or tomorrow. My best bet is that by Wednesday a hotfix/patch will go live, hopefully with gauss tweaks. 

I doubt they are ignoring the feedback section though

14 hours ago, maddragonmaster said:

fair enough.

look. i know you play console but right now you if you are not able to play the game as gauss and be able to decide yourself whether gauss is ok or not then your not really helping calling someone wrong for expressing their frustrating with gauss. only thing your doing is  for the lack of better word is whipping the allready frustrated players that actually have access to gauss into a frenzy.

yeah. can't really deny that.

Let me rephrase.  I'm not trying to disprove pc players opinions on Gauss or invalidate their experiences/feelings.  I'm stating that if someone is trying to convince me of an issue they have i'm going to need better proof than word of mouth.  Not because i'm a jerk but because I can only go off of what i've seen myself and had explained to me.  Worth noting that another user in here called vfrix?  Mentioned that Gauss's synergies with his redline active do not activate unless you're above the redline (if I understand their post.)  This is surprising to me as i've not been able to see such thing in footage yet.

But if that is indeed the case then I would consider him to be majorly flawed.  I think it's okay that his buffs from redline are not as insane as they could be depending on battery level.  But I don't think that redline's boosted effects to his other abilities should be tied to it.  Especially when you have so many things that drain the battery as is.  Knowing this information fundementally rocks my view of the frame.  And now I have concern.

34 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

Worth noting that another user in here called vfrix?  Mentioned that Gauss's synergies with his redline active do not activate unless you're above the redline (if I understand their post.)  This is surprising to me as i've not been able to see such thing in footage yet.

Mach Rush cost reduction: https://gfycat.com/majorflamboyantharpseal

Thermal Sunder freeze : https://gfycat.com/thickfabulousamericanavocet

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vFlitz said:

Upvoted.

I am crushed now. 😞

costs for the battery/drain needs to be adjusted if this is going to stay.  Or those synergies need to be active at all times with redline up if costs/battery drain are to remain the same. thx for the gifs.

• Like 1

As a disclaimer, Im on console, so no personal experience, but from what Ive read (including this forum, the reddit and the wiki) and seen (youtube/twitch) and what Ive talked about with my friend (who has played Gauss on pc), Gauss is a good concept.

conceptually, he is good. Having a frame use a battery as a resource, scaling his abilities off a battery which he charges, all of this is a good concept. Sadly it seems that concept wasnt properly carried out in game. Gauss is a mess of complicating stats, confusing interactions, and is useable, but not without intense effort on the user. 

The biggest issue is how the battery percentage is displayed. You can only achieve 80% battery max, and then redline gives you the next 20%. However, when redline is active it gives you a 0-100% value that increases based off a second part of the battery. This 0-100% value is not the value of the total battery, but the % filled of the remaining 20%. This cant be easily changed however because that value is ALSO the % that you are reset to for the main battery if redline ends below the redline.

as if that isnt confusing enough, While kinetic plating scales off the full battery + redline maximum (100%), the redline buffs are apparently only scaling off of the main battery without the 20% from redline (info from my friend.) 

And then, unlike other Special resource frames (hildyrn/baruuk/nidus) Gauss spends energy AND battery for most of his abilities, whereas the other frames have some energy-less abilities that substitute cost for their special resource.  Why does gauss have both an energy cost for all his abilities, a constant battery drain on his 2 and 4 AND a flat drain by taking damage with his 2 and casting his fire form of 3?! 

And then (yes there is more) his gameplay comes into question. Why does his 1 deal no damage if you run into someone? Im saddened that we dont get an A-train like kill function where you move so fast you just explode the enemy. Maybe make an execution threshold like Garuda, or (my personal hope) give it damage scaling on its move-speed/move-distance.

I know some people complain about his 2, but I dont see much trouble with this ability IF it was changed to not cost energy, or not cost battery. One of these two changes need to be made because otherwise its such a high resource cost for what it gives. There is nothing wrong with a frame that is weak vs some factions and strong versus others (hildyrn/mag). 

Ive heard his 3 is both good or bad depending on the battery and form you use. Cold is good cause getting a instant freeze proc is never bad. But the fire is lackluster since its damage is mitigated by armor. Then there is the armor strip mode. If you have redline active, causing a blast proc also strips armor up to 50% (if battery + redline is maxed.) but strips less if the redline is below full. This value should be a flat 50% (additive like oberon) that works while redline is active, full battery or not. 

And then redline. Personally, id be down to buff this out the ass at the cost of self damage. The idea of a car’s redline is a level of power that becomes dangerous. So, IMO, give gauss even more speed (sprint/melee/holster/reload/firerate) at the cost of a small (but increasing) self heat proc. And then, make redline a flat energy drain (therefore removing the battery drain.) Once you get full battery, yes you have 100% dr, but at the same time you will be taking a lot of self inflicted fire damage because his engine is getting hot. Make it a “high risk high reward” system, instead of its current “high maintenance high reward”. 

But thats just what I want. What definitely should happen is a more detailed battery meter (maybe a % in the top  bar section left of hp) so you can always know how far your battery is full, and then lessen the time it takes to charge a battery with high duration. It seems that no matter your duration, the speed at which you lose charge is constant, whereas the speed at which you gain charge does inversely increase with high duration.  Hopefully, with simple changes like these (I say simple but I'm a novice coder so who knows 😕 ) Gauss can be in practice the great concept he was designed as. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, (PS4)CommanderC2121 said:

And then redline. Personally, id be down to buff this out the ass at the cost of self damage. The idea of a car’s redline is a level of power that becomes dangerous. So, IMO, give gauss even more speed (sprint/melee/holster/reload/firerate) at the cost of a small (but increasing) self heat proc. And then, make redline a flat energy drain (therefore removing the battery drain.) Once you get full battery, yes you have 100% dr, but at the same time you will be taking a lot of self inflicted fire damage because his engine is getting hot. Make it a “high risk high reward” system, instead of its current “high maintenance high reward”.

The “overheat” but not “battery maintenance” is what I imagined when I heard that phrase. It’s interesting and sounds fun to me.

Edit: I have an idea which if gauss is moving it decreases or disables heat effect. Real life vehicle’s radiators work in that way.

In addition I would love if the Thermal Sunder’s fire decrease the overheat penalty and its damage scales with how much meter goes up. Heat Exchange is an important point of cooling system.

Edited by alseltas
got an idea

Lots of people are complaining about kinetic plating and thermal costs but even with lower costs it'll always end with redline being ruined as a whole. I'm afraid that Gauss needs more than some tweaks only. Way better battery gains and a way to freeze battery loss while under redline effect could help.

As far as i'm concerned i consider Gauss has some serious design issues concerning how redline works as a whole. We have absolutely no control at all on it, as opposed to Baruuk who builds some ressource and can use it at will whenever he wants to, we have absolutely no control over Redline. We're just setting there waiting for getting as much battery as we need to overcharge and can benefit from it only at the end, even if we don't need it. That's some major design flaw.

We should be able to decide by ourselves when we can overcharge our own frames, waiting 40s to build up some stupid ressource and getting some interesting synergies in the last few seconds only doesn't work. Each time i build up my redline i end with a fully charged Gauss and no more enemies/end of the round/gotta move etc.

Not fun. Gauss is a really interesting frame, as long as you only care about redline inital buffs, sprinting and freezing enemies he's fine but everything else is completely screwed.

Edited by 000l000

Il y a 14 heures, JackHargreav a dit :

I think it will take a week at least to make changes on him. 

And then it'll end like Hildryn, major flaws will never be solved, so we'd better stop acting like fanboys and telling DE what's really wrong in his kit now cause that's our only chance to help with his issues.

Il y a 5 heures, alseltas a dit :

The “overheat” but not “battery maintenance” is what I imagined when I heard that phrase. It’s interesting and sounds fun to me.

Edit: I have an idea which if gauss is moving it decreases or disables heat effect. Real life vehicle’s radiators work in that way.

In addition I would love if the Thermal Sunder’s fire decrease the overheat penalty and its damage scales with how much meter goes up. Heat Exchange is an important point of cooling system.

Thermal Sunder's fire definitely needs something more to be viable. Atm it's a weak power that certainly doesn't need an extra (battery) cost, the explosive synergy can be fun but once again it isn't worth extra battery cost, especially with such low damages and range. Extra damage fire's buff and armor stripping are also lacking of Ooomph ! Tbh This synergies are way too expensive and overcomplicated to get so few results...

Edited by 000l000

19 hours ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

Does anybody here know how long it takes them to uppload a patch for gauss based on these feedbacks?

Or they usually ignore it anyway?

Considering there's feedback that is asking him to be fast vauban, and some want him to remain exactly the way he is right now, and  others wanting him to be fast saryn, DE will probably take a while to decide which feedback to listen to and act on.

No idea why ppl that dont even own/played gauss for 10h+ even comment on something they have no clue about.

Gauss is awesome frame very well thought out, he literally IS best frame for Distruption (ok maybe slow nova with teleports might be slightly better,but LOVE playing distruption with him). You can literally cheese the bomb carriers with him since you are so fast and can catch them far far away from console and obliterate them with melee. 

His tankiness is over the roof if you know what you doing and mod him propertly, there is NO energy issues with streamline/energize and Hunters Adrenaline.                                                Yes surprise, surprise! YOU HAVE TO CONSTANTLY BE MOVING (Rush in exilus slot) and "spamming" his 1 to keep battery over 100% if you wanna hit 100% in redline (the "second" battery bar) i ususally end up with like 30 seconds in "maxed redline" where you get even more firerate/homing rockets but thats just cherry on the cake, all you care about is having battery around 80% to keep max firerate and decent DR (not like you need any DR with QT/Pflow/HA/Adaptation and his Kinetic plating, you can facetank 3x 165 CHG in simulacrum forever with 1x Guardian and 1x Energize).

His 1 is amazing its long/fast enough to make you really fast but not bumb in everything, no scaling with range or duration needed. Only thing id like to change is being able steer more to left/right while you hold the key and hypersprint. Also THANKS DE for letting me melee animation skip with this skill, i like very much!

His 2 is simply amazing, gives 5% energy before any DR per dmg received, enough said. This skill is top tier. Might slightly reduce battery drain per hit but w/e its still awesome.

His 3 i just ignore since i run Narrow Minded, so i have minimal range i just use it if i feel like charging my battery up, but tbh spamming 1 is faster for that. (and i just magus lockdown stuff than using this if i want to CC)

His 4 is all the fun for me, just load in mission press 4, March Rush 3x and go ham on enemies, usually i can go into "super saiyan" mode with like 30 seconds left so thats even more firerate/speed/homing missiles and complete invulnerability, just have to move/spamm his 1. Distruption is great for that since you have to be constantly moving, grabbing keys/hunt for bomb carriers. I can literally carry pubs in distruption with this frame since im super fast and i have "special equipment" for bomb carriers (they get oneshot).

This frame is absolute fun for me, its even better than i though its gonna be from dev streams.

Also the sounds oh man i just love how all the abilities sounds and look and feel, 10/10 on that.

• Like 1

On 2019-09-03 at 3:53 PM, AKTKWNG said:

My Gauss is still crafting in the foundry, but I do have some thoughts on his two weapons.

*snip*

TLDR: Increase battery gain upon effective usage of 1 and 3.

After crafting and putting 2 forma into Gauss and playing around with a few different builds, I'm glad to say that I really like him a lot. I'll just say upfront that aesthetically, in terms of visual and sound design, Gauss is an easy S+. So let's talk about his kit. It's not perfect by any means, and I have issues with his passive and 3 specifically, but overall I really enjoy his core gameplay loop.

Passive: the shield regen part of his passive is honestly not super noticeable. Even if you shorten shield regen delay, it's still pointless if you're already under fire while running. It could possibly be changed to just gaining shield while sprinting, with amount of shield gained per distance scaling with battery level, and maybe a bonus if you're using Mach Rush. As for the actual battery, while battery gain could be tuned higher, I honestly don't think that low battery is as much of an issue as many people make it out to be (I'll explain more below).

1. Mach Rush: "press to go fast" and it does exactly that, no complaints there. I quickly fell into a comfortable pattern of emptying my Acceltra magazine into a group of enemies, tapping 1 to knock down any surviving enemies and pick up ammo, then either turning around to finish off survivors or dashing to another group of enemies. I was using my 1 almost once per clip, it didn't feel like I was forcing myself to spam it, and it kept my battery at a decently healthy level. If I were to make a change, it would be to give additional battery gain per enemy knocked down by it. This encourages active, smart usage instead of spamming, and helps alleviate battery drain.

2. Kinetic Battery: many people seem to think that this ability is bad because of the battery drain, but that's not been my experience with it. Kinetic Battery works well for infrequent heavy hits but not for prolonged dps; in this way, it's a perfect complement to Adaptation, which counters sustained fire but is weak to sporadic spikes of damage. Also, while people like to compare the 5% damage-to-energy conversion to Hunter Adrenaline's 45%, it's actually much better than the numbers imply. Unlike HA, Kinetic Battery takes 5% of damage absorbed, not 5% of health lost. It is not reduced by armour, Adaptation or any other type of damage reduction, removing the major anti-synergy plaguing most HA builds. It also doesn't require health to work, allowing it to properly synergise with Quick Thinking. Testing with level 120 corrupted heavy gunners and bombards, I found that with Quick Thinking, Adaptation, a R3 Arcane Guardian and only 40% power strength (I like to run Overextended), even at 0% battery you can achieve net positive energy gain once Adaptation is stacked up (read: functional immunity against the corresponding types), and obviously the threshold becomes more lenient if you run 100% strength. My only gripe with this ability is that it prevents almost all knockdowns and staggers EXCEPT QT stagger. This ability is tailor-made to abuse QT, please bring it all the way home.

3. Thermal Sunder: the damage of this ability is underwhelming, but that's a common problem of all flat damage abilities. The heat proc, even the empowered one, also falls off pretty fast, though again that's just heat procs in a nutshell and not specifically this ability's issue. The empowered blast proc should honestly just strip 100% armour; Oberon's 2+4+4 combo does that with about the same amount of setup. The empowered cold proc is actually decent CC, especially with the changes to freezing and status procs. One very useful change I can suggest is to give additional battery on the cold version based on number of enemies hit. This further alleviates his battery drain and lets him easily maintain battery while doing stationary missions like defense and interception.

4. Redline: another ability that has gotten flak for battery drain, but I've already talked about my playstyle and how I don't usually have battery level issues. If you're building duration on Gauss (which you absolutely should) even a 70-80% battery level Redline is a huge boost to weapon dps. I've seen complaints that Redline does the Harrow Covenant thing where the charging-up part of Redline increases with duration in tandem with the 100% part, and while I wouldn't mind if this got changed it's also not that big of a deal for me. There isn't some magical threshold where 100% battery is a million times better than 99% battery, and I honestly think that not getting 100% Redline sooner is a worry borne more from completionist OCD than actual gameplay ramifications. My big issue here is that the casting time just feels way too long. The revving-up sound is badass, but being locked out of shooting until it's done feels ironically slow. I would prefer it if we could keep attacking, and have the speed bonuses take effect gradually as it starts up.

Overall, my personal ranking of Gauss right now puts him at a solid B+ (I rate Wukong A- for reference), which when coupled with his great visual design, phenomenal sound design and fun gameplay loop means that he has joined Oberon and Wukong as one of my daily driver frames. My suggestions regarding his battery economy are aimed at increasing battery gain through effective use of his 1 and 3 rather than decreasing overall battery drain, which I feel better embodies the fast-paced, twitchy playstyle that he is obviously trying to encourage.

Edited by AKTKWNG
  • Like 1