Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(PC) Gauss / Signature Weapons Feedback

[DE]Danielle

4 hours ago, Raqiya said:

Titania is faster than him but besides that all other frames have a a way to to substantially improve their speed buff except for Gauss who's is supposed to be the frame all about speed. I just personally think it'll be fun to be able to move at ludicrous speeds and I believe many people would also like to judging by the reception of the ally speed buff Youtube videos. I just don't really see the harm of allowing it to scale with strength, they could simply add a cap to the dash version for gameplay reasons and leave the held version uncapped. 

That’s Titania with an Augement. She’s also basically Archwing frame so again comparing running to a jet pack.

Gauss just came out. So let’s wait and see if his augments make him faster.

You’re also forgetting that as cool as Gauss’s potential to reach screen tearing speeds. Going that fast is literally impossible to control. Along with making it impossible to know what’s going on because the screen would keep trying to climb up itself every time he runs.

Gauss as he is now is in terms of speed is at a great balance of speed and control.

But if DE wants to add a speed increase augment for the memes I’d be down for it. but you’re not recognizing just how impractical it is.

Edited by (XB1)GearsMatrix301

They definitely boosted his battery economy way too much. If you look at it mathematically, you get 5/4's as much energy from moving, and abilities that consume battery now do so at 2/3's the rate, thus meaning that the meter you build from running goes roughly 50% farther, or 3/2's. 5/4 * 3/2 = 15/8 or 1.875x boost to his overall battery economy, just shy of doubled. That's... really big, and from my amateur perspective I don't think it's really prudent to make that huge of a numbers boost in one go.

I agree (and even posted in this thread a bit after his release) that his battery management was a bit too finicky and needed to be adjusted but nearly doubling his battery efficiency was definitely not the way to go IMO. It's effectively broken his characterisation in gameplay as someone who always wants to be going fast.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MrFrog9 said:

They definitely boosted his battery economy way too much. If you look at it mathematically, you get 5/4's as much energy from moving, and abilities that consume battery now do so at 2/3's the rate, thus meaning that the meter you build from running goes roughly 50% farther, or 3/2's. 5/4 * 3/2 = 15/8 or 1.875x boost to his overall battery economy, just shy of doubled. That's... really big, and from my amateur perspective I don't think it's really prudent to make that huge of a numbers boost in one go.

I agree (and even posted in this thread a bit after his release) that his battery management was a bit too finicky and needed to be adjusted but nearly doubling his battery efficiency was definitely not the way to go IMO. It's effectively broken his characterisation in gameplay as someone who always wants to be going fast.

Yes this is what i'm sayingb

They over buffed him

The percentages are way too high

50 minutes ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

Yes this is what i'm sayingb

They over buffed him

The percentages are way too high

Omg. We got way more changes than anyone expected and all you can do is constantly complain about it. Despite the fact that you were also one of the people who wanted him improved. These changes were all that were needed to make Gauss certifiably great. You were even the one who said that Gauss’s biggest problem is that he’s always trying to outrun his kit. Well now that problem is fixed but here you are complaining that the problem was fixed.

He’s buffed, he’s perfect. There’s nothing more to ask for than good augments.

• Like 1

We're complaining because this is the feedback thread, i.e. a place in the forums specifically delineated for critiquing the current state of this frame, and because in the process of fixing a minor problem (Gauss's meter being a bit high maintenance) they introduced a major problem (Gauss's core mechanic is now more or less pointless, making him dull and generic and removing any real reason to play him over Nezha, Volt, Rhino, etc.). We're voicing our opinions and being respectful while doing so.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MrFrog9 said:

We're complaining because this is the feedback thread, i.e. a place in the forums specifically delineated for critiquing the current state of this frame, and because in the process of fixing a minor problem (Gauss's meter being a bit high maintenance) they introduced a major problem (Gauss's core mechanic is now more or less pointless, making him dull and generic and removing any real reason to play him over Nezha, Volt, Rhino, etc.). We're voicing our opinions and being respectful while doing so.

This isn’t about you. It’s about hopper and his complete 180 on wanting all these improvements to Gauss, finally getting those improvements, and then not wanting them because they’re “too good”.

Gauss’s biggest problem was he gets punished for actually engaging in the games base gameplay which is shooting and melee. These changes make it so there’s significantly less punishment for actually playing the game while still needing to Cast his 1 and 3. It’s just decreasing how much you have to spam them. Doesn’t mean you don’t want to still use Mach rush to blitz past your squadmates. Because you’re forgetting that Gauss mains are dedicated to going fast.

>It's about Hopper

Except that this is not the Hopper feedback thread, and no he hasn't done a 180. Like I said, they fixed a problem but created another problem. It is possible to dislike both extremes. As it stands, Gauss is much less interactive, and I believe there is video in the thread Hopper created of someone keeping their battery at 100% (which I should point out equates to full invilnerability against IPS with KP) just by meleeing enemies while standing still (because melee charges battery now), which completely goes against Gauss's theme.

Gauss did not get "punished" for shooting unless you are bad at aiming while moving and have to stop frequently to line up shots (there, I said it). Even with Redline and KP active you could still roughly break even on battery drain just by running if you modded Gauss properly, although you'd still need to use 1 or 3 to refill at higher durations.

48 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

This isn’t about you. It’s about hopper and his complete 180 on wanting all these improvements to Gauss, finally getting those improvements, and then not wanting them because they’re “too good”.

Gauss’s biggest problem was he gets punished for actually engaging in the games base gameplay which is shooting and melee. These changes make it so there’s significantly less punishment for actually playing the game while still needing to Cast his 1 and 3. It’s just decreasing how much you have to spam them. Doesn’t mean you don’t want to still use Mach rush to blitz past your squadmates. Because you’re forgetting that Gauss mains are dedicated to going fast.

Gears getting buffs aren't always a good thing 

Especially when it goes against the character's theme 

Me and you are consoles we haven't tried him yet with the new changes...so maybe i'm exaggerating 

But other PC players are saying that they over buffed him...the percentages are way too high

The buffs are in the right place,  but 33% is waaaaay too high 

Makes gauss just another generic zephyr that has mobility but barely needs to use it

Gauss theme was that he used speed to fight, his mobility was part of his kit 

Now he may be just another volt that occasionally has an ability that make him fast

Imagine if they buffed nidus where he doesn't have to press 1 anymore to get stacks

Imagine if they buffed nidus where he gains stacks with melee strikes 

This is what they did with gauss 

Edited by (PS4)Hopper_Orouk

10 hours ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

Gears getting buffs aren't always a good thing 

Especially when it goes against the character's theme 

Me and you are consoles we haven't tried him yet with the new changes...so maybe i'm exaggerating 

But other PC players are saying that they over buffed him...the percentages are way too high

The buffs are in the right place,  but 33% is waaaaay too high 

Makes gauss just another generic zephyr that has mobility but barely needs to use it

Gauss theme was that he used speed to fight, his mobility was part of his kit 

Now he may be just another volt that occasionally has an ability that make him fast

Imagine if they buffed nidus where he doesn't have to press 1 anymore to get stacks

Imagine if they buffed nidus where he gains stacks with melee strikes 

This is what they did with gauss 

Buffs are always bad thing. Even if they aren’t good enough changes (looking at you Nyx). It shows that DE still cares about making every frame worth playing.

Nothing about Gauss’s buffs goes against his theme. It still encourages moving fast without punishing slowing down occasionally for accurate shooting or melee.

Youre exaggerating

Mobility is still an integral part of his kit. He still has to use Mach rush and thermal sunder, but he’s not forced to spam them every second he’s not shooting something.

all you and Frog are being are 2 people that just refuse to be satisfied with anything. And while I feel bad for you. Do not take that out on Gauss.

Edited by (XB1)GearsMatrix301

40 minutes ago, pisces13 said:

Gauss' battery is fine now. Finally it isnt a chore to use redline. All that is left is to add sprint speed to redline or scale mach rush by increasing meters per second the longer its channeled. 

I think Redline buffing his speed even further would make Gauss uncontrollably fast. I already accidentally fling myself off cliffs if a Volt or Wisp is in the squad, I don't want Redline doing that to me too.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Buffs are all’s a good thing. Even if they aren’t good enough changes (looking at you Nyx). It shows that DE still cares about making every frame worth playing.

Nothing about Gauss’s buffs goes against his theme. It still encourages moving fast without punishing slowing down occasionally for accurate shooting or melee.

Youre exaggerating

Mobility is still an integral part of his kit. He still has to use Mach rush and thermal sunder, but he’s not forced to spam them every second he’s not shooting something.

all you and Frog are being are 2 people that just refuse to be satisfied with anything. And while I feel bad for you. Do not take that out on Gauss.

Don't get me wrong

I'm heavily considering maining gauss from niw on

Which is why i want him to have the most perfect kit 

A kit that needs work 

I guess all i have to do now is wait 

1 hour ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Buffs are all’s a good thing. Even if they aren’t good enough changes (looking at you Nyx). It shows that DE still cares about making every frame worth playing.

Youre exaggerating

I'd recommend reading this post, particularly the third part concerning being polite and refraining from personal attacks. (Underlined for emphasis.)
I've said my piece at this point so I think I'll exit this discussion for tonight (at least). As Hopper just said, all I can do now is wait and see how things pan out. Maybe you're right and I'm just overreacting, who knows.

56 minutes ago, MrFrog9 said:

I'd recommend reading this post, particularly the third part concerning being polite and refraining from personal attacks. (Underlined for emphasis.)
I've said my piece at this point so I think I'll exit this discussion for tonight (at least). As Hopper just said, all I can do now is wait and see how things pan out. Maybe you're right and I'm just overreacting, who knows.

That wasn't a personal attack though

Yea he accused us of not being satisfied with anything but that's nothing to be sentimental about

1 hour ago, (NSW)ToadBlue said:

I think Redline buffing his speed even further would make Gauss uncontrollably fast. I already accidentally fling myself off cliffs if a Volt or Wisp is in the squad, I don't want Redline doing that to me too.

I have arcane phantasm and dispatch overdrive active and i get a decent boost in speed 

Controllable boost in speed

So no if we get more speed it wouldn't hurt

Specially since it's not an 8 squad maximized strength speed builds boosting gauss

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hyohakusha said:

He can DPS an Eidolon with his signature gun, he can tank the entirety of the starchart and he can run on water to flex on people Jesus style. Definitely a new favorite frame for me

How can he survive eidolon though

They do tau damage and magnetic 

Don't tell me adaptation he still won't survive

46 minutes ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

That wasn't a personal attack though

Yea he accused us of not being satisfied with anything but that's nothing to be sentimental about

Ye you're right, I think I'm projecting my own frustration a bit. Need to chill

2 hours ago, (NSW)ToadBlue said:

Which is why I think it would be fair to not scale his tapped version of Mach rush since that's probably what you're going to be using within a small enclosed space and let the held version scale with str or be boosted further with Redline. If you're using the held version you know there's going to be enough room for you to use it, be it a straight or on one of the "Open world" maps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

I have arcane phantasm and dispatch overdrive active and i get a decent boost in speed 

Controllable boost in speed

So no if we get more speed it wouldn't hurt

Specially since it's not an 8 squad maximized strength speed builds boosting gauss

I also agree with what Hopper has said. You'll never run into a 8man squad in normal gameplay and if you play around with [Dispatch Overdrive] you'll notice that the 60% movement speed increase is very much manageable and you [Edit] will be very much willing to go a tad bit faster and faster.

Whenever I found myself in a mission with volt, wisp or even both the speeds increase you get is still very much manageable and is actually rather euphoric, its just really upsetting when you're incapable that you can't reach those heights without the assistance of another player dulling the excitement from Mach Rush. 

Edited by Raqiya

23 minutes ago, Raqiya said:

I also agree with what Hopper has said. You'll never run into a 8man squad in normal gameplay and if you play around with [Dispatch Overdrive] you'll notice that the 60% movement speed increase is very much manageable and will be very much willing to go a tad bit faster and faster.

Whenever I found myself in a mission with volt, wisp or even both the speeds increase you get is still very much manageable and is actually rather euphoric, its just really upsetting when you're incapable that you can't reach those heights without the assistance of another player dulling the excitement from Mach Rush. 

I'm very positive we're going to see some exciting augments that boost his speed

12 hours ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

Yes, by using Adaptation, though that's only a safeguard. The only dangerous attacks they have are their AoE's that fall from the sky. On pub's and in general it's not hard to roll, slide, jump, operator-out or boost out of the way of their other attacks. All of them are slow and have obvious audio and visual tells. As anyone who regularly runs Eidolons knows, on any halfway decent team, Harrow, Oberon, Trinity or Limbo negate any danger of getting dropped. Volt's would be dying like Ember's in Mot if they didn't. On a good team like this...

... the Eidolon doesn't even really get to attack. 

15 hours ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

I love how people who haven't tried, or tested, or don't even own a certain frame feel as if they're in a position to make an educated suggestion about buffing or nerfing, simply based off of what they've heard, without providing any proof for what they're saying. He's fine as is. He was fine before. All they did is make it so you can consistently cap Redline with his 2 up, and let him hop while you're dashing with his 1.

Here's the build I've been using.
0WiLGrZ.jpg

I like the changes overall. I don't think they overbuffed the redline charge rate. It's still a thing you have to think about, doing stuff to charge your battery, but it doesn't feel tedious anymore. And the way hitting enemies with Mach Rush adds to the battery nicely encourages you to hilariously charge down long hallways of enemies, so that's a fun activity that has synergy as well. The new audio cues for hitting 80% and 100% are eargasmic, so props to the audio team for that. Still think some more visual flare for that would be extra nice, but yeah it's extra and it would take more work that cueing up a sound.

Still have some gripes, though, from the last time I posted on this:

On 2019-09-16 at 11:33 AM, Brucely said:

Mach Rush

- I think there's one QoL tweak to Mach Rush that stands far above any other ones which have been suggested, and that's making it so that mach rush can be used sideways and backwards. So like, you're strafing left while aiming, trigger Mach Rush and you dash left. It'll make the ability feel a lot more responsive and we'll get more use out of it for short dashes, especially while aiming. This doesn't mean new animations, it just means he quickly turns so that left, right, or backwards becomes the new forwards, without reorienting the camera.

Passive

1. The current passive is... whatever. Lukewarm. Milquetoast. I think there could be something more thematically tied to his speed, run and gun theme, as in faster move speed while aiming, and less or no slowdown when firing while sprinting or walking.

• Like 1

Having played a good bit of Gauss, I have to say, I quite like his abilities but they feel a little underpowered or lacking the oomph that they look like htey should have. 

His mach rush is pretty lacklustre and and as it's his core ability, I would think it best if his other abilities augmented his mach rush such as the following:

Kinetic plating should absorb a set amount at each level with another percentage depending on power level which charges his redline battery which should be used for his other abilities with his mach rush and redline being the only abilities that use the energy pool

His thermal sunder just feels useless and I find myself struggling to find any point in using it but I like the idea of the hot/cold dynamic. So, instead of creating tiny AoE fields, how about augmenting his mach rush? Press and hold causes Gauss to absorb energy as he moves creating a super-frozen shell around him which equates to impact/ice damage to enemies he hits and depending on the power level, there's an increasingly higher status chance to cause freeze procs and additional ice/impact damage. Tapping his thermal sunder and then using his one should create sonic booms (explosions) that ragdolls enemies that he passes and inflicting high-status chances of explosions and staggering effects.

His redline could then boosting his other abilities depending on the charge state of his redline battery. As an example, when he rushes through with his mach rush, it should cause enemies to be dragged along by the slip stream causing greater damage to the enemies caught by them slamming into each other and then taking a set amount of damage depending on power strength, distance travelled and the number of enemies captured in his slip stream

His redline adds a deflection ability to his kinetic plating in the form of electrical arcs that can be combined with his thermal sunder ability to change the damage into radiation or magnetic damage.

His thermal sunder ability gains a crit chance to the damage but it runs down the redline battery at an accelerated rate that is partly negated by running/mach dash and kinetic plating.

As a side effect, his redline battery dissipating while no ability is in use should charge his energy pool.

For his mach dash, it should create shockwaves every time you impact an enemy causing impact damage and high-status chance of staggering that can generate a small percentage of redline battery

The way I see Gauss functioning relies on a careful balancing of speed and abilities to keep your redline battery and energy pool active and charging each other and generally buffing each other.

• Like 1

Am 4.10.2019 um 03:17 schrieb ChaosMarine:

Having played a good bit of Gauss, I have to say, I quite like his abilities but they feel a little underpowered or lacking the oomph that they look like htey should have. 

If anything, the recent buffs he got feel very pushed and if you still find him underpowered I'm more inclined to think your build sucks for the playstyle you try to achieve.

• Like 3

On 2019-10-03 at 1:07 AM, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

I think this question is more important than people realize.
There's an entire update full of Tau damage coming in December, and I don't see Gauss surviving it.
Unless DE decides to just make Tau damage count as "physical".

• Like 1