Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shawzin songs, scales and transposition

Gessie00

Heya all,

To save the aspiring Tenno musician some time I've written down which notes are in the "mysteriously named" scales on the Shawzin. I double-checked each note on my piano, but bear in mind I may have made a mistake.

After that you'll find a thorough example of how to transpose existing songs onto the Shawzin.

Example songs are at the end. You'll need your own Shawzin to import them (until DE releases a fix, I hope). Here are videos showing them, played organically (non-MIDI):

• 1. Shawzin scales

Minor scale (C minor):

Spoiler

1              C
2              D
3              Eb
LMB 1      F
LMB 2      G
LMB 3      Ab
MMB 1     Bb
MMB 2     C
MMB 3     D
RMB 1     Eb
RMB 2     F
RMB 3     G

Major scale (C major):

Spoiler

1              C
2              D
3              E
LMB 1      F
LMB 2      G
LMB 3      A
MMB 1     B
MMB 2     C
MMB 3     D
RMB 1     E
RMB 2     F
RMB 3     G

Chromatic scale (C chromatic):

Spoiler

1              C
2              Db
3              D
LMB 1      Eb
LMB 2      E
LMB 3      F
MMB 1     Gb
MMB 2     G
MMB 3     Ab
RMB 1     A
RMB 2     Bb
RMB 3     B

Phrygian (C phrygian dominant, best known as the "flamenco scale"):

Spoiler

1              C
2              Db
3              E
LMB 1      F
LMB 2      G
LMB 3      Ab
MMB 1     Bb
MMB 2     C
MMB 3     Db
RMB 1     E
RMB 2     F
RMB 3     G

Minor pentatonic (C minor pentatonic):

Spoiler

1               C
2               Eb
3               F
LMB 1      G
LMB 2      Bb
LMB 3      C
MMB 1     Eb
MMB 2     F
MMB 3     G
RMB 1     Bb
RMB 2     C
RMB 3     Eb

Major pentatonic (C major pentatonic):

Spoiler

1              C
2              D
3              E
LMB 1     G
LMB 2     A
LMB 3     C
MMB 1    D
MMB 2    E
MMB 3    G
RMB 1     A
RMB 2     C
RMB 3     D

Hexatonic (C minor pentatonic with "blue note" (4.5) added):

Spoiler

1              C
2              Eb
3              F
LMB 1     Gb
LMB 2     G
LMB 3     Bb
MMB 1    C
MMB 2    Eb
MMB 3    F
RMB 1    Gb
RMB 2    G
RMB 3    Bb

Hirajoshi (C hirajōshi) :

Spoiler

1              C
2              Db
3              F
LMB 1     Gb
LMB 2     Bb
LMB 3     C
MMB 1    Db
MMB 2    F
MMB 3    Gb
RMB 1     Bb
RMB 2     C
RMB 3     Db

• 2. Transposing a song

Here's an example based on a poster request, Planet Caravan as played by Panthera. Below you'll see which notes are in the song, and then two "transpositions" or "moves" - first to a pitch the Shawzin can handle, and then to its controls.

E minor: (original, only single notes)
E, B, G, G, Gb
E, 
A, F#, G, B
A, F#, G, A

Transposed to C minor:
C, G, Eb, Eb, D
C, 
F, D, Eb, G
F, D, Eb, F

Transposed to Shawzin "Minor" using the scales listed above:
1, LMB 2, RMB 1, RMB 1, MMB3
MMB2,
LMB1, MMB3, RMB1, RMB3
LMB1, MMB3, RMB1, RMB2

Note that I originally wrote both octave options when available, and settled on this particular arrangement to maintain the relative heaviness of the bass notes - that's why the entire piece is high in pitch. For example, LMB2 or "G" is also RMB3, one octave higher.

Thus I got the end result:

Spoiler

6BAAKAHhAO0AVUAjSAxJA4UA/hBGkBNJBUUBahBiiBoBBvKB2hB90CDUCRSCeJCmUCshCzkC6JDBUDIhDPiDX

Note that I added a chord there (the second RMB1 shown, chord used is MMB+RMB 3), but sadly all chords available are major. It works but it may sound better without, just less full.

• 3. Example Songs

Still Got the Blues - Gary Moore (sadly doesn't fit in hexatonic nor chromatic, so I "cheated" the blue note)

Spoiler

6kAAiAQhAWUAgSApRAuMA0kBMiBSiBwhCCUCISCTRCdMCiKCoiDChDISDjUDmhDpUD8SEBREMMEWKEbJEhhE+UFEUFiSFzRF5MGEKGOJGTKGZEGrBG8

Morrowind theme

Spoiler

6BAACAFEALEAdJAiKAoKA8RBBJBHKBXJBZEBdCBiBBoBB/CCFECKECfJCkKCqKC+RDESDJRDeUDmSDnSD9UEChEHUESSEcREnMEyKE8JFHEFcKFhJFnKF3JF5EF9CGCBGI

Come As You Are - Nirvana

Spoiler

3BAABAECAIEAMMAUEAYMAcEAgEAkCAoBAsSAwBA0BA4SA/BBECBHEBMMBUEBYMBcEBgEBkCBoBBsSBwBB0BB4SCABCECCJECN

Money - Pink Floyd

Spoiler

6SAAkAHiANSAQKAXRAfSAnhAvSA3SBAkBIiBNSBQKBYRBgSBohBwSB4

Godfather theme part 1

Spoiler

3SAARAWSAaUAfSA2SA/JBGSB/RCWSCaUCeSC2SC/EDGSD/REXSEbiEfSE3RE/hFWSFfEGHJGPRGXSGfRGnEGv

Godfather theme part 2

Spoiler

3EAASAIiAQhAYSAgiAoSAxhA5SBBJBJMBREBZECRSCYiCfhCnSCviC4SDAhDISDQEDYCDkBDoBEQJEYREhSEoEFQJFXRFfSFn

Poison - Alice Cooper

Spoiler

6BAABAFKALBAPUAVBAZSAeBAjCAnEAtRAyCA3EA7RBBCBGBBKBBPBBUKBZBBeUBiBBnSBsBBxCB2EB6RB+CCDECHRCMCCRBCW

No Woman No Cry - Bob Marley

Spoiler

5KAAMAGRAMKASSAYkAwkBIiBNhBSUBYSBeUBnhBxhCDhCMiCNhCUUCaSCgKC+MDDRDJKDPSDVkDtkEGiELhERUEWSEcUElhEuhFBiFMhFSUFYSFd

Planet Caravan - Pantera (orig. Black Sabbath)

Spoiler

6BAAKAHhAO0AVUAjSAxJA4UA/hBGkBNJBUUBahBiiBoBBvKB2hB90CDUCRSCeJCmUCshCzkC6JDBUDIhDPiDX

Wonderwall - Oasis (vocals)

Spoiler

6KAAJAGEARJAVEAYJAcEAfJAjEAuJAyEA1JA6EA+JBCKBIEBNKBsJByEB8JCAECDJCIECLJCPECbJCfECjJCnECsJCwKC4EC7KDURDYKDcRDhRDpSDxKD5JD9EEGJETJEbEEfJEjKEoEE1BFABFFCFMEFRBFZ

Imperial March - John Williams

Spoiler

5RAARAJRAPRASKAbUAhRAlKAuUAzRA3hBKhBUhBdiBmSBsMBvJB6SB/MCD

More to come...

Lastly, if you have time, check my suggestion thread regarding music in warframe. If it reaches DE and they decide to go for it, I'll be able to do so much more. Imagine blasting Two Steps From Hell while finally beating a new boss. 🙂

Edited by Gessie00
  • Like 6

BEHOLD... megalovania 

Spoiler

5EAAEAChAERAIRAOMASKAWKAYEAaKAcMAeCAgCAihAkRAoRAuMAyKA2KA4EA6KA8MA+BBABBChBERBIRBOMBSKBWKBYEBaKBcMBeBBgBBihBkRBoRBuMByKB2KB4EB6KB8MB+

Smoke on the water 

Spoiler

1EAAKAIMAQEAcKAkRAsMAwEBAKBIMBQKBcEBkEB8KCEMCMECYKCgRCoMCsEC8KDEMDMKDYEDg

an attempt at fire and flames 

Spoiler

5RAACABSADCAEUAFCAGRAICAJSAKCALUANCAOhAPCAQSASCATiAUCAVUAXCAYhAZCAaSAcCAdUAeCAfRAhCAiSAjCAkMAmCAnRAoCApSArCAsUAtCAuRAwCAxSAyCAzUA1CA2hA3CA4SA6CA7iA8CA+UA/CBAhBBCBCSBECBFUBGCBHRBJCBKSBLCBMMBOCBPRBQCBRSBTCBUUBVCBWRBYCBZSBaCBbUBdCBehBfCBgSBiCBjiBkCBmUBnCBohBpCBqSBsCBtUBuCBvRBxCBySBzCB1MB2CB3RB4

Edited by Kiljooi

20 hours ago, Kiljooi said:

BEHOLD... megalovania 

Reveal hidden contents

5EAAEAChAERAIRAOMASKAWKAYEAaKAcMAeCAgCAihAkRAoRAuMAyKA2KA4EA6KA8MA+BBABBChBERBIRBOMBSKBWKBYEBaKBcMBeBBgBBihBkRBoRBuMByKB2KB4EB6KB8MB+

Damn, that's impressive. Did you re-bind the mouse keys to switch frets that quickly or is your mouse frickin' amazing? 😄

19 hours ago, Aldain said:

Something tells me DE might want to make a Shawzin subforum soon if the playerbase gets hooked on it.

I sure hope so. The Shawzin is my favorite update by far, and I'm not just saying that due to the buzz. I want moar.

Edit: @Aldain Reddit filled the gap, they made a subreddit just for the Shawzin and Mandachord!

Edited by Gessie00

Hello, i have some MIDI/MML songs that i wanted converted into Shawzin language so i did a bunch of testing to figure how to write it.
The very first character is a number representing the Scale used. 1-8

Spoiler

1 - Pentatonic Minor

2 - Pentatonic Major

3 - Chromatic

4 - Hexatonic

5 - Major

6 - Minor

7 - Hirajoshi

8 - Phrygian

Every 3 character after the number corresponds to a note, i will use BAA as an example. in BAA there are 2 parts, the note (B**) and the timing (*AA). the notation starts at A to Z then a to z then 0 to 9 then + and /.

Behold a Key for every combination for notes!

Even with all this info its all too confusing for me to actually transcribe into shawzin language. hope this helps!

Edited by minibboy35
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, (XB1)SixGunLove said:

Need some help with "Planet Caravan" a Pantera cover... 

can you help me OP?

@(XB1)SixGunLove I said I wouldn't, but doing one is a great example for others to follow. So congrats, you got lucky. 😄 I actually learned it on guitar just to make the process easier- it's a great beginner song. You can find the result in the OP, enjoy!

19 hours ago, minibboy35 said:

Hello, i have some MIDI/MML songs that i wanted converted into Shawzin language so i did a bunch of testing to figure how to write it.
The very first character is a number representing the Scale used (...)

Thanks for the effort, but I'm just waiting for others to crack the code. I'm actually getting pretty good at "playing" the shawz... ^^

Edit: Major update, I recorded these songs and included the video in the OP!

Edited by Gessie00

Sorry, I'm taking a break. It seems automating through MIDI is the latest hype and I don't feel particularly needed. You could post a request in the /FrameHero/ subreddit - I'm sure they can help.

To be clear, I don't think automating is wrong; the Shawz is a static digital instrument and programming songs is more efficient than playing in every conceivable way. But that leaves us with an exercise in programming rather than music, which I'm not interested in.

I'll be back in a week (or two) to check the situation again. Feel free to send any questions to my Reddit in the meantime.

On 2019-08-31 at 4:51 AM, CoolDudeMcCool said:

Someone has to do Wonderwall, right

Indeed, I've seen it requested a few times so I did a vocal version - check the OP above. It was a hasty recording though so don't expect much. ^^

My fellow Tenno, I am no musician, and I am pretty sure I failed with timing this right, but here you go, take my Shawzin transcription of Castlevania: Bloody Tears

Spoiler

6SAAkAEiAIhAMUARhAVUAZSAdUAhhAliAphAuUAyRA2UA6SA+SBCkBGiBKhBOUBThBXUBbSBfUBjhBniBshBwUB0RB4UB8SCAJCERCIKCLJCYECcJCgRClKCrJC0EC4JC8RDAKDDJDPKDUMDYRDdKDmMDsJDzRD3KD6JEGEEKJEOREUKEZJEiEEmJErREvKEyJE+KFCMFGRFLKFUdFYtFcUFgCFkBFrSFwCF0BF6SGACGEBGKSGPEGUhGWCGYUGaBGcSGeRGgCGiBGmSGpCGyBG3SG6CHABHESHHhHPiHUUHYhHb

And for everyone who would like to have it cut to parts and fix my mess, here you have it:

Heya all, taking a quick peek. I can't login to WF right now - ETA at least another week.

On 2019-09-02 at 3:27 AM, (XB1)SixGunLove said:

Now if I could only learn Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi. 

(here is the instrumental only rif)

OP any suggestions or advice on how I can learn this to play on the shawzin?

I may be able to help in detail later, but in case you want to figure it out for yourself: After a quick search I've found the sheet music in C Major (Shawz "Major"). Learning to read music is way easier than it seems (the big curly "g" points at where the G note is, the link also shows the other notes).

But there's another way - you may be able to "figure it out by ear":

Since we know the piece fits into C Major, set the Shawz to "Major" and try to find a recognizable note from the song near the middle of the Shawz's range (LMB or MMB in my list - not sure if the keys changed by now). Then, experiment to find the note that comes after - try to find it. If everything you try sounds wrong, the first note is wrong and you need to try another. If you can't go low enough, you may need to move your starting note up and try again, or vice versa for high notes.

After a few switches you should find the right starting note, and be able to work from there. There are only nine chords on the Shawz IIRC so you can try those too.

It's not much, but I hope it helps. You'd be surprised how good the average human's ears are at detecting the right intervals (the harmonic gap between notes), even if we can't figure out the exact pitch.

On 2019-09-02 at 3:29 AM, (XB1)SixGunLove said:

Here is Old Town road. Awesome.

Indeed, is that played organically? If so that's impressive.

On 2019-09-03 at 10:29 AM, Xelar_Warp said:

Meh... I'll just leave This here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm1WT3GTeiY

Sounds really good, but that's programmed. You'll notice the rapid key changes (tab key) between notes. This thread is about using the Shawzin for real-life music exercises, or at least that's what I intended. ^^

On 2019-09-03 at 5:30 PM, Hetmen said:

Here is my version of "Metal Gear Theme" 

Great song choice, I love MGS so damn much. 😄 But if possible those octave switches should be avoided - they can really mess up the melody. You could try switching to another scale or choosing a different root note. I may try it when I get back; no promises though.

Edit: Well, I'm back but it seems there's little interest still. Guess that's the end of my involvement.

Edited by Gessie00