Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yet Another Lens

DrakeWurrum

So I see that we can now get the Lua Lens from the Lua Disruption node... which is an upgrade to the rare Eidolon Lens drop from high-level Cetus bounties.

I'm a bit annoyed by this, to be honest. I'm sure most vets are done with Focus farming. Which means the lenses do nothing for them. I'm almost there myself - I've finished Madurai, and really only have Waybounds to worry about. I don't see the point in farming out all 5 trees. So very soon, I just won't care anymore.

It's great for people who still have plenty of Focus farming to do, but therein lies the rub... Both the Eidolon Lens and the Lua Lens are a pain to get unless you've got pretty far into the game in terms of mods collected and loadouts perfected. So these aren't really for newer players - maybe intermediate. I would say it's at least useful for people who haven't done a lot of Focus farming and want to quickly "catch-up" for any future/potential "need" for having fleshed out Focus trees (like fighting off Sentients in a new map setting... COUGH).

These Focus lenses absolutely need to have some secondary purpose if they're going to keep releasing better ones. Especially since we still can't remove them.

Edited by DrakeWurrum

I haven't done all of them even as a player from 2014 so I wonder if those who complete the whole focus trees are complete hardcore or I'm too slow on it

Once you maxed all trees, their powers truly shine so there's a reason to max all such as

Unairu : Void invisibility and damage reduction, armor stripping and operator damage boost

Vazarin : Instant revive, extra affinity range, invincibility and healing dash, dome shield

That's just 2 of the schools, the rest are also awesome to max to max out your play style

• Like 3

It feels like it's slapped together at the last minute when that Echoes of Umbra stuff fell on its face. It still might be useful for some people, anyway, so good for them.

Apparently there will be more uses for Focus in the future, maybe with The New War or Duviri Paradox? I still say the lasting solution is a Syndicate Effect-like mechanic, but whatever.

Edited by KnossosTNC
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, 844448 said:

I haven't done all of them even as a player from 2014 so I wonder if those who complete the whole focus trees are complete hardcore or I'm too slow on it

Once you maxed all trees, their powers truly shine so there's a reason to max all such as

Unairu : Void invisibility and damage reduction, armor stripping and operator damage boost

Vazarin : Instant revive, extra affinity range, invincibility and healing dash, dome shield

That's just 2 of the schools, the rest are also awesome to max to max out your play style

No, you're not slow. You've been doing whatever you want, because you are allowed and encouraged to do so. 

I only just completed Octavia's anthem, I just didn't want to do it before. (Deep-seated aversion to anything that even looks like a sound based/music puzzle.) Even with Octavia as a reward, I just couldn't be bothered. I had just left it sitting there unfinished. 

Finally got fed up, and forced myself to go ahead and do it. Glad it's over with. 

You will probably get around to finishing off the focus schools when you feel like it. 

27 minutes ago, 844448 said:

you're not alone, there's not really a need to max the focus trees

I've been putting it off because the grind is bullS#&$ and I don't find it enjoyable

27 minutes ago, 844448 said:

I haven't done all of them even as a player from 2014 so I wonder if those who complete the whole focus trees are complete hardcore or I'm too slow on it. 

2 minutes ago, Etan-gK said:

you're not alone, there's not really a need to max the focus trees

I've been putting it off because the grind is bullS#&$ and I don't find it enjoyable

I  'finished' my focus grind, with the exception of Void Radiance. Though I am keeping about 620k focus just for the node if DE decides to fix it. 

Wouldn't say it's anything to do with being slow or a must have, but in my case I only did them because I had nothing else in game that I wanted to do. It took me about 3-4 months of ESO and Eidolon hunting, so it wasn't the worst possible grind I've ever done. Waybounds alone are already very good utility, and I did the rest for the simple quality of life it gives. Especially if you use Operators a lot in your gameplay.  

The idea I had was that I should at least finish focus so as to have something useful for TNW/TDP if Operators are going to be used. But granted, if it's not something you can bring yourself to do, then that too is perfectly fine. 

37 minutes ago, 844448 said:

Well, to be fair, it's really only needed for Eidolon farm. It's otherwise just for S#&$s and giggles when you wanna change things up, or make use of the Echoes of Umbra (or Umbra himself).

Also, what's especially funny to me with these lenses is that I've gotten most of my Focus from converting Eidolon shards, not farming things the hard way.

Not everyone, nor every "vet", has spent countless hours Adaro, ESO, or Eidolon Grinding for focus.

A lot of people have neglected or outright ignored the entire focus system. Which is likely to come back and bite a lot of people should New War and/or Duviri involve operator content that benefits from focus nodes.

If you don't need them then don't build them, for everyone else it's another step towards more efficient focus farming for those who don't want to grind Eidolons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trst said:

Not everyone, nor every "vet", has spent countless hours Adaro, ESO, or Eidolon Grinding for focus.

A lot of people have neglected or outright ignored the entire focus system. Which is likely to come back and bite a lot of people should New War and/or Duviri involve operator content that benefits from focus nodes.

If you don't need them then don't build them, for everyone else it's another step towards more efficient focus farming for those who don't want to grind Eidolons.

I just hope this this can prevent people from crying the new war is too hard because their operator is too weak

I'm not sure if I count as a "vet" as I'm a bit shy of 1,000 hours. I have some decent equipment. I have Ostron, Quills, Solaris United, Vox Solaris, and even Ventkids at top rank.

I am far, far from done with the focus grind. I have a few waybounds and the things worth getting in one tree.

The focus grind just makes me want to die. It's the worst grind I've seen in the game so far. There's ESO which is the most painful, repetitive mode to try to run over and over, and there's tridolons which is notorious for having the most toxic players in the game. After dealing with the toxicity of the "vets" and the worst of the people who had absolutely no idea what they're doing trying to leech a hydrolyst cap for nightwave, I give up. The focus grind just isn't worth it. I don't think even the new lens will help, especially with how painful it is to try to get and build.

I'm not sure why I'd even want more focus at this point anyway. I try to avoid using the tater tot mode. Hopefully if they make the stupid things required for more content (looking at you, Durviri Paradox), they make gaining a lot more focus a lot less painful.

I was hoping it would do something slightly more interesting.

Failing that I was hoping it would be constructed entirely from new materials instead of just being another wrung on the same upgrade path. 

Oh well, you can't always get what you want. 

1 hour ago, Ayures said:

I'm not sure if I count as a "vet" as I'm a bit shy of 1,000 hours. I have some decent equipment. I have Ostron, Quills, Solaris United, Vox Solaris, and even Ventkids at top rank.

I am far, far from done with the focus grind. I have a few waybounds and the things worth getting in one tree.

The focus grind just makes me want to die. It's the worst grind I've seen in the game so far. There's ESO which is the most painful, repetitive mode to try to run over and over, and there's tridolons which is notorious for having the most toxic players in the game. After dealing with the toxicity of the "vets" and the worst of the people who had absolutely no idea what they're doing trying to leech a hydrolyst cap for nightwave, I give up. The focus grind just isn't worth it. I don't think even the new lens will help, especially with how painful it is to try to get and build.

I'm not sure why I'd even want more focus at this point anyway. I try to avoid using the tater tot mode. Hopefully if they make the stupid things required for more content (looking at you, Durviri Paradox), they make gaining a lot more focus a lot less painful.

Just do what I did. Slap a lens on whatever weapon you are using most of the time, play, and forget about it, while collecting occasional convergence orbs ( the yellow orbs in mission. ) . After a moment, you'll have a big but to spend. that's what I did for a lot of nodes and schools. It took some time, but the focus tree grind is a game of Patience, not rush, which some people don't understand.

Don't expect to run a triathlon in 5 minutes. It's just not possible.

13 minutes ago, mikakor said:

Just do what I did. Slap a lens on whatever weapon you are using most of the time, play, and forget about it, while collecting occasional convergence orbs ( the yellow orbs in mission. ) . After a moment, you'll have a big but to spend. that's what I did for a lot of nodes and schools. It took some time, but the focus tree grind is a game of Patience, not rush, which some people don't understand.

Don't expect to run a triathlon in 5 minutes. It's just not possible.

That's pretty much what I did when the lenses first came out (it was even more painful back then if you recall). Just recently I decided to give the focus grind a try again and it did give me a nice boost to get started (though the eidolon shards I had from grinding Quills rep probably helped a lot more). I have enough stuff to build a few eidolon lenses. I might just slap a few on of the schools whose waybounds I haven't gotten to yet and let it ride. I'm not sure if I'll be playing much until more content comes, though.

Edited by Ayures

8 hours ago, --DC--Host_Migration said:

The newer players tend to buy eidolon lenses. 

The higher ranked players, most of the ones I know, have maxed out school. 

So they either just donate the lenses to clanmates or sell. 

I think the same will happen with the lua lenses. 

So, Basically $$.

Lua Lens requires the somatic component things though. People that aren't willing to grind through Lua disruption won't have them.