Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Echoa

Gauss Profile pronunciation is triggering me

Recommended Posts

Please, for all that is good and holy in this world please fix the warframe profile video DE.

Gauss is pronounced ga -ow -ss NOT ga-ah-ss

The namesake comes from Carl Friedrich Gauss, a famous german mathematician and the namesake of the gauss rifle.

The proper pronunciation is

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/De-carlfriedrichgauss.ogg

and one more

"The pronunciation of Gaussian becomes rather obvious if we first consider the pronunciation of Gauss. In German and English, Gauss is pronounced as [gaʊs], and hence rhymes with house."

I have never in my life heard it pronounce in this fashion and its so incredibly odd and my love of science, Gauss himself, and every time i get to use a Gauss Rifle in a game makes hearing that triggering.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, (PS4)OriginalEquinox said:

Same words can have different meanings and pronunciations depending on the accents of the people speaking it, Gau-ss sounds way more cool anyway

How do you figure this makes any sense when Gauss is a literal walking rail gun which is based and work of and the warframes named after Gauss himself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blizzard (Starcraft franchise) also pronounces it as gau-ss rifle. It all comes down to which sounds cooler to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PsiWarp said:

Blizzard (Starcraft franchise) also pronounces it as gau-ss rifle. It all comes down to which sounds cooler to you.

So 2 wrong pronunciations makes it correct? Its a german word/name with a definitive way of saying it. Its really not up to interpretation, thats like saying house can be h-oss or ha-ow-ss and either way is correct but you call them hosses because it sounds nifty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Echoa said:

How do you figure this makes any sense when Gauss is a literal walking rail gun which is based and work of and named after Gauss himself?

RE:
Gauss Acceleration and Rail Acceleration are not the same thing.

carry on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, taiiat said:

RE:
Gauss Acceleration and Rail Acceleration are not the same thing.

carry on.

Rail Guns use electromagnetic force to propel a projectile at high velocity in much the same way as a coil/gauss gun does but instead of excluding the projectile from the loop in a railgun the projectile is part of loop (over simplified). Both are based on the work laid out by Carl Friedrich Gauss and are electromagnetic weapons used to impart high kinetic energy to a projectile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Echoa said:

(over simplified)

exactly, they share significant differences, but ultimately use Electromagnetic Energy to accelerate a thing. but not the same! D:

(on topic yes Gauss should be pronounced Gow-s since names don't translate - though it's also *shrug* for me)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, taiiat said:

exactly, they share significant differences, but ultimately use Electromagnetic Energy to accelerate a thing. but not the same! 😧

(on topic yes Gauss should be pronounced Gow-s since names don't translate - though it's also *shrug* for me)

off topic, yeah they very obviously have significant differences (i wouldnt argue that, its pretty apparent lol) in how the idea is applied and are different in practice but use the same principles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Language evolves, and seeing as how there's so many people that pronounce it incorrectly...it's logical that, within the distant future, the word would have shifted in pronunciation if it managed to survive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aSmileyLemon said:

Goose.

i tried to think of a way to pronounce this wrong but i couldnt.....you win

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well suck it up because the worlds isn't going to change because you don't like how DE have decided they will say a word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AzureTerra said:

Well suck it up because the worlds isn't going to change because you don't like how DE have decided they will say a word

ahh yes, the world of words being said however we please and language having no meaning. Shall we all speak gibberish and pray others will understand and tell them to suck it up in our nonsensical dialect?

Tell me more of this utopia of yours, or should i say ut-op-pie?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Echoa said:

So 2 wrong pronunciations makes it correct? Its a german word/name with a definitive way of saying it. Its really not up to interpretation, thats like saying house can be h-oss or ha-ow-ss and either way is correct but you call them hosses because it sounds nifty.

when a writer decides to pronounce a name a certain way, then that way is cannon. 

Imagine if someone argued with J. K. Rowling on how wingardium leviosa was pronounced.

basically, Gauss, the mathematician, has a different pronunciation form Gauss, the frame in warframe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stormy505 said:

cannon

Canon. 

1 minute ago, stormy505 said:

basically, Gauss, the mathematician, has a different pronunciation form Gauss, the frame in warframe.

Tell that to the Leverian, it appears to incorrectly pronounce Gauss... correctly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Tell that to the Leverian, it appears to incorrectly pronounce Gauss... correctly?

ed7.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Inb4 it's just a coincidence that they share a name.

i would find that unlikely considering his abilities, looks, and general concept lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Echoa said:

i would find that unlikely considering his abilities, looks, and general concept lol

So do I, but it's the argument some are presenting. Just getting in there first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Tell that to the Leverian, it appears to incorrectly pronounce Gauss... correctly?

neat. rather odd that they aren't consistent on the pronunciation. only other thing i could see is American vs European difference of pronunciation, considering that blizzard, Ubisoft, and a few other gaming companies pronounce it in a identical vain to the warframe dev video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...