Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Echoa

Gauss Profile pronunciation is triggering me

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Ouinpis said:

american VS euro they have Gas in cummon

Nah man, we call it Petrol over here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

il y'a aussi les ''gosses if you euro its kids,but in some part of DE country means BALLZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ouinpis said:

il y'a aussi les ''gosses if you euro its kids,but in some part of DE country means BALLZ

idk what you said....but i like it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Echoa said:

Please, for all that is good and holy in this world please fix the warframe profile video DE.

Gauss is pronounced ga -ow -ss NOT ga-ah-ss

The namesake comes from Carl Friedrich Gauss, a famous german mathematician and the namesake of the gauss rifle.

This isn't the first time either. Remember Titania?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am free to pronounce the name of a fictional character in a work of fiction however I please, even if it shares the spelling of or is inspired by something real. It's how fantasy works. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, (PS4)Puckish_Rogue125 said:

I am free to pronounce the name of a fictional character in a work of fiction however I please, even if it shares the spelling of or is inspired by something real. It's how fantasy works. 

You're free to be wrong, certainly.:clem:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heaven forbid we should employ logic to anything...

Lets just take words we've all heard before and change their pronunciation "cos reasons"

oh and don't forget to employ the snowflake tactics of belittling the guy, accusing him of being triggered and telling them there are more important issues all the while scoffing at him.

Those who berrated the guy specifically should be ashamed!

The issue is DE have taken a word which already exists and just said to everyone "it's now pronnounced Gauze" which is another common word use in medical circles which already exists.

You can only suspend logic in favour of fantasy for so long and you can only justify idiocy and forum warrior tactics for so long.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TenebraeAeterna said:

Language evolves, and seeing as how there's so many people that pronounce it incorrectly...it's logical that, within the distant future, the word would have shifted in pronunciation if it managed to survive.

Sure it evolves, but you don't just forgoe something because people are too lazy to pronounce it correctly. There is a very specific societal influences in regulating speech and language and how it evolves. Why on earth do we teach languages to kids if it's just totally open to interpretation and just say it how we want? Accents, pronunciation etc are absolutely crucial to ensuring we all understand each other in context and gently ripping away at this like some kinda pronoun debate is actually not a good things for evolution of speech. Much larger broader topic but to say society kowtows to the laziest and sometimes more stupid elements of society is somewhat true which is why we should NEVER accept it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, W4RM3CH4N1C said:

oh and don't forget to employ the snowflake tactics of belittling the guy, accusing him of being triggered and telling them there are more important issues all the while scoffing at him.

To be fair he called himself triggered from the beginning. It's literally in the title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, if there's one type of word we feel awkward mangling and apologize most often for it's surely other peoples names. Gauss is a real name. Moreover it's a famous name and there's really only one way to pronounce it, which is correctly. Try saying Einstein wrongly and see how that goes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why I keep calling him Goose, because Goss is a Saxon name that means goose.

Of course, DE has a history if having absolutely no idea how to pronounce things. Like Titania and Tipedo. They can't even pronounce Orokin consistently, and they made that word up themselves. Sometimes its ORO-kin, sometimes its ori-CAN.

Likewise, If Gauss were a made up fantasy name, it would be fine to say its pronounced however DE wants. Like if I decided that "Teljaxx" was to be pronounced like "Steve" for some reason. I made up the name, I can make up whatever rules I want for it. But Gauss, or rather Gauß, is a real name belonging to a real person, so you pronounce it the way he says to pronounce it.

4 hours ago, TenebraeAeterna said:

Language evolves, and seeing as how there's so many people that pronounce it incorrectly...it's logical that, within the distant future, the word would have shifted in pronunciation if it managed to survive.

When a language changes because too many people are too lazy, stubborn, or uneducated to pronounce something correctly, that is not evolution, that is corruption. And it should not be so readily accepted.

3 hours ago, dXQuarionXb said:

Jesus the mental gymnastics going on in this thread to defend someone pronouncing a name wrong 🤔

Its insane just how far people will go to avoid being wrong about anything, isn't it? Even over such a small, easy to fix mistake like pronouncing an uncommon foreign name wrong. They could just go: "Oh, oops, my bad." and move on, no harm done. But instead, they raise their ignorance shields and go to war over it, which only serves to make them look even more foolish than simply admitting their mistake would have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 часа назад, Echoa сказал:

i tried to think of a way to pronounce this wrong but i couldnt.....you win

Gos? xD

Im getting the symb-i-ote symb-y-ote vibe (recent Venom film) from that thread lmao.

Im not even a native speaker but both trigger me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ITT: A bunch of ignorant manchildren blindly defending a mistake. I'm no prescriptivist, but Gauss is a name with a defined pronunciation. The coy "well maybe the frame themed after electromagnetic acceleration and named Gauss isn't named after the mathematician famous for, among other things, his work on magnetism who was also named Gauss" S#&$ is obnoxious and blatantlly disingenuous.

7 hours ago, taiiat said:

exactly, they share significant differences, but ultimately use Electromagnetic Energy to accelerate a thing. but not the same! 😧

(on topic yes Gauss should be pronounced Gow-s since names don't translate - though it's also *shrug* for me)

So if the relatively minor distinction between coilguns and railguns (which accomplish the same goal using the same principles applied in different ways) has such a hair up your arse, why does the significant difference between the correct and incorrect pronunciation of Gauss not matter to you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You pronounce the Ga like for gargantua and uss like for usually blended with ooze.... I think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FlyingDice said:

So if the relatively minor distinction between coilguns and railguns (which accomplish the same goal using the same principles applied in different ways) has such a hair up your arse, why does the significant difference between the correct and incorrect pronunciation of Gauss not matter to you?

they're both significant - but it's just important that people know the difference in both cases. past that i'm less concerned with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Echoa said:

So 2 wrong pronunciations makes it correct? Its a german word/name with a definitive way of saying it. Its really not up to interpretation, thats like saying house can be h-oss or ha-ow-ss and either way is correct but you call them hosses because it sounds nifty.

Um ackshually, I believe the Canadians call those something between "hoses" and "hooses" 😄 

Regional dialects...what are those...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, W4RM3CH4N1C said:

Sure it evolves, but you don't just forgoe something because people are too lazy to pronounce it correctly. There is a very specific societal influences in regulating speech and language and how it evolves. Why on earth do we teach languages to kids if it's just totally open to interpretation and just say it how we want? Accents, pronunciation etc are absolutely crucial to ensuring we all understand each other in context and gently ripping away at this like some kinda pronoun debate is actually not a good things for evolution of speech. Much larger broader topic but to say society kowtows to the laziest and sometimes more stupid elements of society is somewhat true which is why we should NEVER accept it.

If you're from the United States, you must be ignorant to how drastically we've butchered the English language.

There are a myriad of reasons as to why language doesn't always evolve in the way that academics want it to...and that's just the reality of the world we live in. If you want to create a world that has some semblance of realism to it, it's little things like this that go a long way. The film Cloud Atlas completely butchers the English language with the reasoning that an apocalypse resulted in the strange evolution of such...if I remember correctly. The novel 1984 introduces Newspeak for political reasoning.

It's not far-fetched.

The vast majority of the human population do not speak like an English Professor...even in English speaking regions. We have newer generations augmenting words and creating new ones on the internet all the time. It's silly to assume that language isn't going to evolve in ways that people who adhere to academic standards don't want, especially through such a vast spans of time and drastically shifting political climates where entire factions of people have fallen into ruin if not outright annihilation. We have it happening today, so why wouldn't it within a fictional world?

I mean, hell...it would make more sense if every faction spoke some sort of strange dialect...rather than perfect English. Crossing the United States alone gives you access to several dialects, from the easy to understand to the near-impossible, like Cajun. Tell them they're not saying things correctly all you want, it's not going to change the fact that they use it anymore than a desire to keep English "pure" is going to change the fact that it's going to evolve in ways that people don't particularly find to be correct.

14 hours ago, Teljaxx said:

When a language changes because too many people are too lazy, stubborn, or uneducated to pronounce something correctly, that is not evolution, that is corruption. And it should not be so readily accepted.

Your definition of such is irrelevant to the fact that it happens all the time. Frequently. It's happening even as we speak...I can almost guarantee it. Whether or not it should happen is irrelevant to whether or not it does, because humanity is not hive-minded and it's extremely difficult to control vast populations...hence why we have a variety of dialects now. I'm sure that English Professors across the United States groan in absolute anguish over how most Americans speak colloquially, but there's, realistically, nothing they can do about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess we can all just agree that the English language sucks. If I didn't know about Carl Friedrich Gauss, I also would assume it was pronounced like cause, sauce, fault, launch, or any other word containing the 'au' sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Echoa said:

So 2 wrong pronunciations makes it correct? Its a german word/name with a definitive way of saying it. Its really not up to interpretation...

So what you're saying is... some German people pronounced their names wrong? That's okay, happens to the best of us. Even David Bowie didn't know how to pronounce his own name.

And you have to expect it from the Germans. They don't even know how to pronounce "Germany". They're really not even close. "Doychland"? Yeah, more like Duh-doychland! It's Germany. Ger-man-ee. It's your own country, get it right for God's sake!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, W4RM3CH4N1C said:

Lets just take words we've all heard before and change their pronunciation "cos reasons"

oh and don't forget to employ the snowflake tactics of belittling the guy, accusing him of being triggered and telling them there are more important issues all the while scoffing at him.

Those who berrated the guy specifically should be ashamed!

"cos reasons" is Rebecca pronouncing it differently from the mathematician name.

only reason that it isn't true is because Leverian pronounces his name in a similar vane to the mathematician but i prefer the pronunciation of a dev who worked on the frame (Rebecca) over a VA.

the OP called himself triggered in a post and in the title "Gauss Profile pronunciation is triggering me"

 

19 hours ago, W4RM3CH4N1C said:

You can only suspend logic in favour of fantasy

but the entire world of warframe is a fantasy and the names and pronunciations are determined by the writers/devs without question from the players/readers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm tempted to start pronouncing it "gaws" just to make people more salty.

This isn't like me, but seeing this many threads on such a small negligible thing on the first page just makes me sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019-09-01 at 5:59 AM, Echoa said:

Please, for all that is good and holy in this world please fix the warframe profile video DE.

Gauss is pronounced ga -ow -ss NOT ga-ah-ss

The namesake comes from Carl Friedrich Gauss, a famous german mathematician and the namesake of the gauss rifle.

The proper pronunciation is

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/De-carlfriedrichgauss.ogg

and one more

"The pronunciation of Gaussian becomes rather obvious if we first consider the pronunciation of Gauss. In German and English, Gauss is pronounced as [gaʊs], and hence rhymes with house."

I have never in my life heard it pronounce in this fashion and its so incredibly odd and my love of science, Gauss himself, and every time i get to use a Gauss Rifle in a game makes hearing that triggering.

 

 

 

A  few questions to you and all the other people hung up on this. 

Now dig really deep into your honesty here and answer as straight up as possible. If you are an english speaker, how often do you manage to pronounce names such as Loki, Odin, Ragnar or Björn correctly and not in a very american or brittish way? How often do you actually pronounce Gaussian 100% correct? I really hope you do it 100% of the time in all cases otherwise your obsession with one single name is really odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...