Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is your opinion on Gauss?

Akbar_Lukman_Hakim

He needs a lot of fine tuning, right now he is a star chart frame at most, he isn't quite the tank or quite the speedster but not a DPS at all, he is what I would call a "stack frame" which is the opposite of a nukeframe, he has to do a lot of combos to achieve what others do with one or two abilities, he needs to fill up his battery which in turn can give him some resistance but it depletes too fast for that, has no cooldown and still needs energy on top, his fourth ability has minuscule buffs and is negatively affected by the usual duration setups, that is, it needs the battery to be topped but battery charges very slow with high duration, if you go for low duration then your buffs will not last enough to capitalize on the setup anyway.

Fun and that's it.

I find little use of him outside of plains. Actually even in plains his 1st doesn't work well coz he'd be stopped by even the smallest rock.

His abilities are fun to use but the root concept simply doesn't suit this game well.

I'd think of the following changes:

-Auto-execute parkour maneuvers when sprinting, able to run on walls instead of halting when you run into obstacles.

-Double the speed of 1st when you're in plains.

Edited by Marvelous_A

9 minutes ago, Marvelous_A said:

I find little use of him outside of plains. Actually even in plains his 1st doesn't work well coz he'd be stopped by even the smallest rock.

That's because he knows his one weakness: Tripping/slipping over something small at mach speed.

Which is why the Corpus have been designing synthetic banana peels and are preparing to deploy them all over their outposts.

• Like 1

I find him fun to play, mainly because he is the anti-camper. Gotta stay mobile. And that mobility coupled with his defensive ability makes him remarkable hard to down. So Gauss encourages me to be an extremely mobile player, as opposed to trying to facetank everything.

I just wish there was information about his battery in game. Nowhere in the game does it say the formula for charging his battery (the wiki says 1% for every 1.5m travelled), at least I haven't found it. It doesn't appear to be dynamic. I would really like to mod him so he can charge his battery with less distance travelled, but that doesn't seem like the case.

Edited by z3us32610

He is pretty fun for now.  You kinda gotta be in a pretty amped up mood to play him, to use him to his max potential requires many more actions/per second than most other frames.  Some of his mechanics seem to push you towards of a balence build.  You get stronger buffs with higher duration but the more duration you put on the slower the battery charges.  Still working on mastering it overall but a balenced build you can stay always moving having the battery maxed with kinetic plating and redline up full time.  When you do this your immortal but it does take alot of actions/per second to maintain everything.  Melee seems to be the way to go for him the buffs he gets benifit that the most.

• Like 1

Something's only overpowered if it can remove or trivialise the gameplay without introducing any of their own and/or have a significant negative impact on other people's experience due to doing it for them.

Gauss, from what I've been able to determine from watching him, doesn't appear to be either. Power bought through play is fine by me.

Pretty uninspired and kinda weak. This isnt even getting intonthe horrible design decisions.

His ability damage is bad, his abilities themselves a pretty bland. I figured theyd do a bit more with his mach rush that "he runs fast and can explode against a wall". Kinetic plating is definitely quite good as a damage reduction ability but only if the types it blocks are around. The moment you enter an elemental sortie, infested mission, or any of the other assorted areas where you have that one guy who does something like radiation or electric hes instantly brought down a peg. Which is funny because one of those aread is just orb vallis if I recall.

Why is his 3 just a very straightforward aoe? Not only that, one you have to cast twice to get any noticable effect if you arent in redline. 

Redline is nothing more than a fire rate and reload boost. A good one, even if it takes ages to ramp up. The damage it deals is bad and the only decent effect is the 1 tap freeze on thermal sunder.

Really unfortunate since i do appreciate what they have done with a lot of the frames in the past but gauss in my opinion is really low on the list of warframe. Hes basically only saved by the fact he can have high damage reduction and a huge fire rate boost which further empowers our ridiculously powerful guns, even if he doesnt do it in any real interesting way.

43 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

I always die with him. T_T

His 2nd ability should give you some protection but I always get oneshoted regardless of what I'm doing. (on mot at least)

gotta charge that battery and try adaptation / arcane guardian if u want also stay mobile rush into walls if u want it'll knock down enemies 

If you actually like zippin around, he's a fun frame. If you like face-tanking, you will hate him. Simple. 

Will take some time to get used to the movement of his 1, after that nothing will hit you. I like that component, both as a cc, a momentary speed buff, a panic button or if I need to break trough a corridor of mobs to get to my objective (life support, annoying eximus...) 

His 4 works great for melee oriented builds but it's mostly niche stuff or QoL for most weps. 

The 2 shield thingie... Can't hit what's moving too fast, it's nice to have but not exactly necessary for star-chart stuff. 

His 3... Can be used as a low lvl area of denial or quick cc (if supercharged the cold proc will freeze the enemies on the 1st cast) , great for CO melee builds, sadly not much else. He can strip some armor if his 4th ability is active but usually the mobs die before the armor gets striped so can't tell you much about it. 

He's a good frame, but outer frames do what he does better meaning playing him will be largely left to preference. 

Cheers

I'll let you know in three days. 

On the surface, he looks like an answer in search of a question. I don't like rushrushrush speedy crap and this is what the 'frame is about. He might have some utility in the open world spaces, but on asteroid bases or ships...doubt he'll see much use. 

We'll see. Also, he's new and will probably see some adjustments going forward. 

He will be just like Zephyr for me - two frames that do have other useful abilities, but are never worth bringing out except for niche cases where I want the mobility.

I bring Zephyr out for Gas City exploration (secret rooms, partnership fragments) and Ropalolyst.

I've been using Gauss for speedrunning capture fissures solo because I find his 1 to be more manageable than Volt's 2.

Can they do other things? Sure. Will I use Zephyr/Gauss for anything other than their movement gimmick? Probably not.

Out of curiosity, for those of you who say he is boring or mastery fodder, what are the frames you typically play? 

Mag, Harrow, and Volt are my 3 go to’s for high level runs or endurance and I can’t wait for the update to finally hit consoles so I can get my hands on Gauss. 

But it right now I see about a 50/50 split between people that like him and people that don’t. Honestly makes me a little worried I might not like him as much as I want to with what I read. 

Edited by (NSW)Austee