Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Akbar_Lukman_Hakim

What is your opinion on Gauss?

👍 for a his physical design, its pretty neat looking.

👎 for his abilities design, he's even more boring to use then it is to watch paint dry.

1 hour ago, (NSW)Austee said:

But it right now I see about a 50/50 split between people that like him and people that don’t. Honestly makes me a little worried I might not like him as much as I want to with what I read.

Honestly I'm between. Going fast and freezing enemies, blowing up enemies is really fun. But I also die in any mission that is not a grineer one. Cetus is easy for example, Fortuna on the other hand is nightmare for me since enemies deal other damage than the ones you can defend yourself against. Which doesn't make much sense to me since other DR abilities just straight up defend you against every kind of damage type.

5 hours ago, emirdemir01 said:

gotta charge that battery and try adaptation / arcane guardian if u want also stay mobile rush into walls if u want it'll knock down enemies 

You're not wrong but I swear it didn't work for some reason. Well anyways now He's much better.

He has some quirks, but still a fantastic frame with a lot of options, I may have to build another. Mine can do my 2 most used builds, but I have another idea that will require different polarities.

Some responses in this thread make me wonder if they have the frame, or are playing the same game.

He can easily face tank and runs faster than volt, by a lot. Also his 4th gives a substantial DPS buff.

You just have to know how to mod and play him. Watch youtube videos on him and you'll see.

As far as speed, tankyness and DPS goes he's around as good as nova.

4 hours ago, (NSW)Austee said:

Out of curiosity, for those of you who say he is boring or mastery fodder, what are the frames you typically play? 

Garuda, harrow, nidus. Im no stranger to hitting a lot of buttons and actually trying (maybe not so much on nidus) to get a noticable effect.

Gauss feels like a lot of button presses to just do a small amount of really uninteresting things. Those button presses are all just to serve 1 singular mechanic, keeping his mach gague up which fuels your kinetic plating, ability to use fire on thermal sunder, and charging up redline. If i didnt have to worry about that, Id hit 2 and 4 and just not do much else for a full minute outside of using mach rush to get around occasionally or thermal sunder to cc stuff.

Havent had my chance to get my hands on him yet but im honestly sceptical. Aside from the ”gotta go fast” meme warframe edition, i dont really find him particulary interesting. So my guess is i will lvl him to max for mastery and leave it there.

I've only played him for like 2 hours so far, but I find him to be really fun! My most played frame is Titania, so I've never been one to care about the meta. He's tanky spanky. A bit spammy on abilities, which is something I enjoy. Activate Redline then smash into some walls with your cheap Mach Rush. I usually finish missions without even really knowing what happened as it all just blurs by. He's unique in his playstyle and is a positive addition to the game that I think will appeal to some people. Maybe not a ton, but certainly more than Baruuk. 

Even though I'm definitely no master of Gauss, I have seen some other players that don't seem to enjoy him in missions. Ones that don't activate Redline once it drops off or ones that aren't mashing Mach Rush. Do those two things, maintain Kinetic Plating, and drop Thermal Sunders occasionally to go back and combine them later and he can be pretty involved and fun! If you just want to run around, then you're probably not going to enjoy Gauss. 

But! Am I going to be playing him a month from now? Maybe. I can see him making his way into the rotation. Not top 5 for me, but in the upper-half of frame for sure. Looking forward to his best friend, Grendel. 

Having decided to rush him to experiment with him sooner.

I must say, he's a... rush to play!

Spoiler

Image result for distorted laugh meme

Ordis humour aside, in terms of pure 'stick to the theme' design - well, frankly, he's amazing on that front. It's a simple theme, but everything about him ties into it. He's not just fast, he's not just a frame where you might enjoy going fast - everything about him ties into going fast. The only time you should ever be standing still is to charge up to go fast. You CC by going fast, your defense lets you stay in the front lines and go fast more, your AoE freeze lets you be faster than your enemies even when you're not mach rushing, your redline lets you go fast more and strike faster. Your mach rush doesn't interrupt reloads, or inhibit activating other powers, letting you move smoothly as need.

I can see why people who aren't all that enthused by that theme wouldn't like him much. But as for me? I do like me some fast. 

In terms of how his abilities interact, I'm honestly happy there too. A good example of 'Power bought through play' and that you don't have to delete/freeze/surivive everything with the touch of a button to feel and be powerful in this game. At his peak, Gauss is extremely tough. His 2 lets him tank a lot of damage and restore energy, which when combined with adaptation is a lot of oomph, especially since he has the extra safety net of shields at his command most of the time. He can CC enemies effectively through multiple means and even what damage he does take through his 2 can be avoided with sheer speed. And his 4 is actually somewhat of an ult-like ability to some extent! Using it carelessly will mean you lose the buffs, lose the resource for your 2 and makes it harder to regain them. You need to think to some degree - activating redline without enemies around to recharge you via your 2 will waste your energy through maintaining your charge, or waste your charge. Even if you can pull it out very frequently if you do it right, it's still more significant than just 'oh hey, a buff'. It's also pretty thematic for travelling long distances in open worlds too, which is nice. And also, pretty cool rushing into a base with the tail end of a huge power-up.

It's what I've been wanting from Warframe. I'm quite content with him.

I haven't even finished leveling him and applying a proper build, but I find him to be incredibly fun. He really fits my aggressive play style, and it is very satisfying to plow over and enemy, whip around and give him both barrels of my Tigris Prime, and then dash away as a death laser tries to hit you. And then dash into a group of enemies and beat them to a pulp with radioactive nun chucks. 

I think he's going to become a regular in my arsenal.

2 hours ago, Annnoth said:

Garuda, harrow, nidus. Im no stranger to hitting a lot of buttons and actually trying (maybe not so much on nidus) to get a noticable effect.

Gauss feels like a lot of button presses to just do a small amount of really uninteresting things. Those button presses are all just to serve 1 singular mechanic, keeping his mach gague up which fuels your kinetic plating, ability to use fire on thermal sunder, and charging up redline. If i didnt have to worry about that, Id hit 2 and 4 and just not do much else for a full minute outside of using mach rush to get around occasionally or thermal sunder to cc stuff.

Thank you. Great explanation. Exactly what I was trying to understand. 

17 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Having decided to rush him to experiment with him sooner.

I must say, he's a... rush to play!

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for distorted laugh meme

Ordis humour aside, in terms of pure 'stick to the theme' design - well, frankly, he's amazing on that front. It's a simple theme, but everything about him ties into it. He's not just fast, he's not just a frame where you might enjoy going fast - everything about him ties into going fast. The only time you should ever be standing still is to charge up to go fast. You CC by going fast, your defense lets you stay in the front lines and go fast more, your AoE freeze lets you be faster than your enemies even when you're not mach rushing, your redline lets you go fast more and strike faster. Your mach rush doesn't interrupt reloads, or inhibit activating other powers, letting you move smoothly as need.

I can see why people who aren't all that enthused by that theme wouldn't like him much. But as for me? I do like me some fast. 

In terms of how his abilities interact, I'm honestly happy there too. A good example of 'Power bought through play' and that you don't have to delete/freeze/surivive everything with the touch of a button to feel and be powerful in this game. At his peak, Gauss is extremely tough. His 2 lets him tank a lot of damage and restore energy, which when combined with adaptation is a lot of oomph, especially since he has the extra safety net of shields at his command most of the time. He can CC enemies effectively through multiple means and even what damage he does take through his 2 can be avoided with sheer speed. And his 4 is actually somewhat of an ult-like ability to some extent! Using it carelessly will mean you lose the buffs, lose the resource for your 2 and makes it harder to regain them. You need to think to some degree - activating redline without enemies around to recharge you via your 2 will waste your energy through maintaining your charge, or waste your charge. Even if you can pull it out very frequently if you do it right, it's still more significant than just 'oh hey, a buff'. It's also pretty thematic for travelling long distances in open worlds too, which is nice. And also, pretty cool rushing into a base with the tail end of a huge power-up.

It's what I've been wanting from Warframe. I'm quite content with him.

Sorry for the back to back post, couldn’t figure out how to add this in there. 

Another example of someone obviously capable of pushing buttons but with an entirely different view. Great explanation of your strategy you use to synergize his abilities. 

I really need need to catch up on my pc account so I don’t have to wait when these updates drop or hope they pull the trigger with cross saves. 

My opinion on Gauss is that while his whole kit fit his theme, two powers in particular are awkward in his kit.

• Kinetic Plating enters in contradiction with the whole principle of being a fast fighter : you will not get hit that much if you go fast, so you need to slow down, and that shouldn't be a thing IMO. Gauss should be encouraged to go fast as often as possible. It's also too faction dependant since it only blocks physical, cold, heat and blast damage.
  • Thermal Sunder requires you to slow down too much if you want to not whiff it due to its centric AoE nature a short-ish radius.

I'd like to see the following changes applied :

• Make Kinetic Plating reduce all kind of damage, but scale the damage reduction depending on how fast you're going. The faster you go, the more DR you get. Highest value would also linger for something like 3 seconds, so you don't get instantly disintegrated if you need to slow down for a sharp turn or pick up a datamass.
  • Remove the "energy on hit" effect, and add a hold function to Kinetic Plating that simply allows you to convert battery power into energy. That function would be useable at any time, even while using Mach Rush.
  • Change the targetting of Thermal Sunder into something that wouldn't require you to slow down as much, though I couldn't find the best solution yet. I think freeform targeting could work (cast at reticle location), but I am not sure about it, and it would also give a huge yet unneeded buff to that ability (so something else on that ability will need to be tuned down to compensate).

Some QoL would also be great.

• Make Kinetic Plating a toggleable, so you don't have to press 2 every minute or so.

3 minutes ago, D20 said:

Remove the "energy on hit" effect, and add a hold function to Kinetic Plating that simply allows you to convert battery power into energy. That function would be useable at any time, even while using Mach Rush.

This part I don't particularly agree with, only because it introduces a skill ceiling - balancing your energy regen with your ability to evade damage and maintain your charge for redline.

I do agree with your other points though, particularly the speed element of kinetic. I get what they were going for (thermodynamic and friction-based defence) but making it about his speed puts it very firmly on the player's skill rather than luck of the draw.

I only have one complaint with Gauss. Nullifier not only shut off his skills(I get this), but the damn things also drain his battery if you enter the bubble, and it's a quick drain.