Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightmare Mode

theGreatZamboni

Here is how you fix it. This is a case where I will be telling vs. the usual suggestion.

You make it exactly Halo Skulls. You give people the option to select any level and turn on Nightmare Mode. Once you do so, you are given the option to customize the parameters that will net different rewards. You call these Skulls "Artifacts". You add Artifacts back to the Alert system. But you also offer a base set of Artifacts so people can still play Nightmare mode without the extra ones available through Alerts. So you have Artifacts for each of the unique aspects of Nightmare Mode. So low gravity; turning that on makes you and enemies jump/fall different. But turning it on gives you a specific reward. Turning on time-attack does exactly as advertised, but increases ammo drops. You separate draining shield/energy and offer specific rewards based on having those Artifacts enabled. These are examples, I hope you get the gist. One more in case you don't. Draining health increases Material Drops. Another? All Toxic Ancients, increases total credits earned by x4.

This gives DE something to experiment with and veterans a more purpose driven means to play with added challenges they can control. Something tooled for experienced players or thrill seekers. You can always add more modes/modifiers later and you do not even have to have some of them net rewards. Just make it work, make it fun.

Edited by theGreatZamboni

This is Warframe, not Halo. Your "i'm going to just tell you" attitude I found irritating as hell. This post is terribly laid out, and your ideas lack a good explanation.

Then I will ask you: How do you make Nightmare mode worthwhile and not screw over people trying to farm? If I am doing the Refer-A-Friends program and have 3 new players with me and a nightmare mode is on MPrime, what then? Also Steve has continually said he wants to lift ideas from TF2. "This is Warframe, not TF2". You can lift ideas if they work and add to you game. The ideas Steve has openly shared would only serve to damage the game further. A lot of what I am saying is self-evident. You didn't like my tone, that is fine. To say the easiest, most effective solution to NM is terribly laid out; I'm not sure what to say to that.

Then I will ask you: How do you make Nightmare mode worthwhile and not screw over people trying to farm? blah blah blah

I never said I was against your idea. After reading your post, I had no idea you were even talking about people trying to farm, or new players. My point was that you create this post starting out "I'm going tell you to do this and not make a suggestion." You think anyone at DE is going to take that seriously? Why don't you go back, edit your post, and actually lay out some of your SUGGESTIONS. Including, how they would work, what they would accomplish, and what effect this would have on the game. Not just some smashed together paragraph that doesn't even get your point across.

Edited by KingKeif

This is Warframe, not Halo. Your "i'm going to just tell you" attitude I found irritating as hell. This post is terribly laid out, and your ideas lack a good explanation.

And what hes describing isn't how Halo works. I don't understand why people leave stupid comments saying "this isn't and MMO", "this isn't COD". Ideas to improve a game can come from anywhere and taking mechanics from other games has been happening for many many years. Also, your post didn't help anyone, you're just showing that you have nothing productive to give.

The idea however as it is would make it too easy to farm, and too hard to access for new players. Yes, nightmare is meant for higher players but having it somewhere low gives new players a taste. While it may be ok to have some sort of way of choosing your parameters for nightmare, using artifacts isn't the way to go.

Oh and yeah, not enough RNG, DE loves RNG :)

The idea however as it is would make it too easy to farm, and too hard to access for new players.

...You call these Skulls "Artifacts". You add Artifacts back to the Alert system. But you also offer a base set of Artifacts so people can still play Nightmare mode without the extra ones available through Alerts.

...You can always add more modes/modifiers later and you do not even have to have some of them net rewards. Just make it work, make it fun.

And what hes describing isn't how Halo works. I don't understand why people leave stupid comments saying "this isn't and MMO", "this isn't COD". Ideas to improve a game can come from anywhere and taking mechanics from other games has been happening for many many years. Also, your post didn't help anyone, you're just showing that you have nothing productive to give.

So you read the first 5 words of my post, congratulations. My point was his attitude and terrible format. The thread is hard to understand and laid out in a way to doesn't help anyone. He even ends it by saying, "something tooled for experienced players." When I read the post, I had no idea he was talking about farming, or new players. It seemed much more just jumbled ideas on how to change nightmare mod.

So you read the first 5 words of my post, congratulations. My point was his attitude and terrible format. The thread is hard to understand and laid out in a way to doesn't help anyone. He even ends it by saying, "something tooled for experienced players." When I read the post, I had no idea he was talking about farming, or new players. It seemed much more just jumbled ideas on how to change nightmare mod.

So you read a post and don't understand it, leading to the first thing for you to do is to moan about it and say you don't like the attitude.

If you don't understand it, read it again, if you don't like someone's attitude, don't reply, noone wants to hear that you don't like the way someone wrote a post that has nothing to do with you. What you are doing is actively provoking conflict. If you really want, I can start pointing out all the grammatical errors in your posts. This is a forum, not an English lesson.

RE: the GreatZamboni, Yes the new players will have the original mods, but being as how people are, and how RNG dictates the alert drops, it could take a very long time to get that particular Artifact that gives the parameter you want. A system where you get them by, for example, completing every single mission on a planet would make it easier to accomplish, easier to track and easier to balance the better and harder parameter changes by putting them on higher planets. It also gives more incentive for people to complete the star map

A system where you get them by, for example, completing every single mission on a planet would make it easier to accomplish, easier to track and easier to balance the better and harder parameter changes by putting them on higher planets. It also gives more incentive for people to complete the star map

That is a great alternative.

I don't understand why people leave stupid comments saying "this isn't and MMO", "this isn't COD". Ideas to improve a game can come from anywhere and taking mechanics from other games has been happening for many many years. Also, your post didn't help anyone, you're just showing that you have nothing productive to give.

It's because 14 year olds are rampant on the internet and play something crappy like CoD or Geyloh and take it upon themselves to run to every other game forum on said internet and shoehorn terribad or out of context mechanics/concepts into other games because apparently &*$$genization is a good thing (which is why CoD sells so well year after year unfortunately). even though a good.  

@OP: Anyways, choosing conditions was already discussed by DE but essentially its boiled down to the conditions being almost identical on a per mission basis.  So mprime will always have relatively the same conditions so you can prep for it a bit after your first blind run.  

The example you gave is a bullS#&$ example btw, your newbs won't have to deal with NM bc they wouldn't have cleared the system yet.  As for farming, well its not supposed to be easy, you can't rely on uber niche builds but instead of have to use mediocre balanced builds and rely on skill play to win.  Honestly don't see what peoples issue is with NM. 

*EDIT: Crossed out tangential continuation of sentence and added period.....F*** off its national punctuation day.  

Edited by Relkin

So you read a post and don't understand it, leading to the first thing for you to do is to moan about it and say you don't like the attitude.

If you don't understand it, read it again, if you don't like someone's attitude, don't reply, noone wants to hear that you don't like the way someone wrote a post that has nothing to do with you. What you are doing is actively provoking conflict. If you really want, I can start pointing out all the grammatical errors in your posts. This is a forum, not an English lesson.

I understood his post for what it was. For the third time, there was no mention of farming or new players. I wasn't talking about his grammar. I was talking about how he smashed all of his ideas together and didn't explain them very well. I'm done arguing with you. This post is going nowhere. Soon to be forgotten.