Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe is giving me motion sickness

Grumps1963

Question

I did a search and found some comments relating to the speed at which Gauss moves but I don't have Gauss.

The last few times that I have logged into Warframe I have ended up with Motion sickness and needed to quit the game. It began with Archwing missions to obtain the parts for the recent RazorBack Armada event/challenge. 

Flying through the tunnels time after time so that I could build three keys did me in. SInce then even running around the Orb Vallis has laid me low.

So, has DE improved the scrolling or video resolution or something else that now is inducing these effects in me?

My hardware has not changed at all so I am able to rule that out as a direct cause. I will note however, that my nVidia drivers were updated a month or so back. Could this be a cause this effect?

Which video settings should I mess with to try and prevent this effect?

Do others also experience these effects?

20 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Leonorran said:

increase your FoV and make sure that motion blur is off would be my suggestion they are the 2 highest causes of that in my experience

Fully agree with this.
Archwing still makes me uncomfortable after a while though. Partially also just because it's AW and I hate it.

The primary culprit here is the lack of a fixed HUD especially in Archwing. The more you move around the more the HUD overlay moves around, which is enough to make even those not prone to motion sickness lose their lunch. Granted the FoV could be higher 78 is not a comforting setting for most people.

16 minutes ago, (PS4)Kamil-the-KamiKa said:

If you get motion sick that easily then maybe warframe isn't for you. You know the game with: k drives, arch wing, parkour, upcoming rail jack and most importantly SPACE! Guessing no mans sky is a nightmare for you 

If you lack that much compassion, understanding, or caring, then perhaps being a member of the Human race isn't for you.

Edited by Nichivo
  • Like 4

Ok, before this gets overly toxic I'll throw my 2 cents in the ring. I have vertigo, and some parts of Warframe are really hard for me to deal with due to the speed at which some characters move. My biggest issue so far has been anything that makes my warframe teleport, due to the fast motion. I suggest avoiding things like that if you can, or in the case of archwing missions change your setting as suggested above, and only play them for a few rounds at a time, then take a break and play a different mission type that does not cause you that issue. Just because some of us have limitations does not mean we should give up on playing games we enjoy.

• Like 3

If this started after the recent update it might not be motion sickness and more like nausea / dizzies caused by eye strain due to the color & light changes. I had managed to get rid of that problem quite some time ago by tinkering with settings (motion blur off, elemental effects off, sceen shake off etc), but after the update the nausea is back again and I haven't been playing much because of that. 

11 hours ago, Nichivo said:

The primary culprit here is the lack of a fixed HUD especially in Archwing. The more you move around the more the HUD overlay moves around, which is enough to make even those not prone to motion sickness lose their lunch. Granted the FoV could be higher 78 is not a comforting setting for most people.

If you lack that much compassion, understanding, or caring, then perhaps being a member of the Human race isn't for you.

'Being a member of the human race isn't for you'

lmao struck a nerve I see 

Edited by (PS4)Kamil-the-KamiKa

Grumps, turn off motion blur and change your FOV settings as others have mentioned.

With that out of the way, I'd like to share something.

I got this as a recommended article via google which is kinda creepy honestly, as I was Googling about how to deal with motion sickness during a very long bus trip a few days ago.

I do experience motion sickness (rarely) in real life, but I have never experienced it in-game. <- 2750 hs in-game

When it comes to AW missions, I use Experimental Flight mode, same goes for open-world maps, and I wouldn't have it any other way (thank you DE for making it so we can turn it on/off) since I love that sense of freedom of movement. Side note, haven't had a problem with Volt, Nezha, Gauss.

Needless to say, I think it's odd when others experience motion sickness when playing warframe, but I understand that it's not something you can control.

Does this happen to you when you play other games? Specially fast paced games?

About to show my age - if games like Quake, GunZ, S4L, CSGO, DOOM give you MS... that's the common denominator, perhaps you might need to try games that are a bit less overwhelming for you.

12 hours ago, (PS4)Kamil-the-KamiKa said:

If you get motion sick that easily then maybe warframe isn't for you. You know the game with: k drives, arch wing, parkour, upcoming rail jack and most importantly SPACE! Guessing no mans sky is a nightmare for you 

Motion sickness isn't really a result of linear movement, but rather things like screen shake and discrepancy between HUD movement + background movement. I get motion sickness easily and k-drives, archwing and moving around never make me sick. However, using the Larkspur makes me incredibly nauseous because it has a screen shake/pulsating effect.

2 hours ago, (PS4)Kamil-the-KamiKa said:

'Being a member of the human race isn't for you'

lmao struck a nerve I see 

You got called out on being immature and nasty, and he did so eloquently; I don't think that's anything to gloat about.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sam686 said:

Options, interface, HUD motion. This can be turned off so the HUD will stay on one spot and not move.

That's amazing, even if the mini map does still move a teeny tiny bit with it on. When did they add this, and why is it not on by default? I must have missed the patch notes while away.

Now if only the FoV went to 90.

Thank You!

Thank you to all for the suggestions. I will try them out this weekend.

In answer to the question about other games, doom and duke nukem were no problem, Quake depended upon the scenario. I never played the rest.

I am more of the hack and slash, sword and sandal type.

Warframe is the closest that I have found to my fav sci-fi authors books. Heinlein, Asimov, Doc Smith. 

DE could you develop a game based on the Lensman series by Doc Smith? Please, please, please.

SAME. I had to go to sleep after my first few rounds of archwing missions, I had major eye strain, and abit of headache. I turned my graphic settings to LOW to fix this. 

Then few weeks back I get to play Warframe on my bro's 1080Ti CPU. Cool, turn graphic to HIGH and enjoy the game right? FREAKING WRONG. I played 1 hour of Orb Vallis and had the same issue again. It must have been the blurring effect around me when I bullet jump/archwing that caused my headache.

So, all in all: 

• Turn FoV to the highest
  • Turn off Screen Shake effect
  • TURN OFF MOTION BLUR 
Edited by HappyFishxas