Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • 0
Lazarow

What is Gauss good for?

Question

I know he is fast like Volt fast but he is harder to control than volt when using his 1st ability and I cant see myself using his speed anywhere as most maps are small and cramped and have crates and stuff to bump into, in openworld I would just use archwing so I dont see myself using him there too.

His second ability makes him somewhat a tank but we have armored frames for that

His 3rd ability I only like the press 3 to freeze enemies and that about it

I see no reason to use his 4th when his 1 and 4 can be replaces by volts 2 easily.

Am I Missing something or he seems boring. Im not saying 'Gauss is traaaaaaash' but I just have no idea what to use him for so providing how you play Gauss would be good. 

As of now I rather use Volt instead

Pros:

-Mastery

-Speed Volting without AOE ally effect which someone get annoyed by

-Good if you are always on the move

-Condition Overload Melee bonus statuses

Cons:

-Difficult to manage the battery in some cases

-Not practical in use speed in regular missions as most maps are small and its difficult to direction the running

-Too much ability synergy(Passive Improves shield recharge/delay. First ability add to the meter. Second ability drain meter and even more when taking damage. Third ability can add and drain the meter. Fourth ability extend meter but drains it as well while giving buffs to reload, attack speed, fire rate)

-Volt appears more managable and has Gauss' 1+4(to some point) in his 2 if built well, but Gauss can go faster and get better bonuses at a more effort cost

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, YazMatazO said:

I got a Host Migration the other day while playing the Berehynia node in Arbitration. Two players were left in the squad and we only needed another round to extract. I was on my Volt and the other dude was on Gauss. Me - hold the busy D tower on my own while asking him to take the other towers. He's like - ok. We lost the round. 

Gauss is kinda useless in my opinion, or on the very least, so niche you can hardly bother. People still try to compare him to Volt, but Volt has got so much versatility and utility there's just no comparison. Gauss' self-buffs are alright, but it takes time to get going with them, plus you have to recast it and keep your eyes on their duration, as well. 

gauss isnt useless but for example u have to try so hard to keep his redline up that after a point u realize theres harrow's 2 , wisp's 1 , volt's 2 and it kinda disappoints , plus his 2 drains the battery like its nothing even with guardian + adaptation 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has very solid kit.

Use his 1 to charge his battery, stay on the move as well.

His 2 as damage resistance, and adds a slash proc when running into walls with his one.

His three for charging his battery and CC, freeze or slow enemies, or blast them back (with Blast).

And his 4 to buff his fire rate, melee stun buff when add his 2, and to freeze enemies in one cast from his 3. Use his 1 to help charge his max his battery faster.

Also, if you are using an automatic rifle, or explosive launcher, knock enemies down with his 1, and lay down some fire behind you. If you use his signature weapons, remember to use a melee with Condition Overload, and use a Hunter's Munitions build for his Acceltra, Gas/Corrosive an his Akarius. After that, Grofit (??). There you go solid strategy for using this frame.

6 hours ago, Lazarow said:

As of now I rather use Volt instead

So far he is good for:

1.MR Fodder

2.Speed Volting in squads without giving allies speed boost

Frames are generally not fodder, they all have a place in a squad, and Gauss is one of the best for buffing Condition Overload on melee due to his 3, while other frames are limited to just causing 1 status effect. The only exception is Saryn, but she is a nuker, and doesn't really mesh well with team play when she is built as a toxin nuke, so Gauss is the friendliest for adding status effects to enemies.

Volt seems to have a significant Speed nerf, he seems much slower even with his 2. 

6 hours ago, Lazarow said:

I see no reason to use his 4th when his 1 and 4 can be replaces by volts 2 easily.

Gauss's 4 ramps up the higher his battery is, while Volt is a regular buff. Gauss has synergy built into his kit, more than Volt.

 

5 hours ago, emirdemir01 said:

gauss isnt useless but for example u have to try so hard to keep his redline up that after a point u realize theres harrow's 2 , wisp's 1 , volt's 2 and it kinda disappoints , plus his 2 drains the battery like its nothing even with guardian + adaptation 

That is why you should always be on the move. Lay down fire behind you, and alternate between using his 1, for covering ground fast, and 3 for CC and building up charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Outside of open world maps, he's only really good at disruption; run around and kill stuff, grab a conduit key, run to conduit, run around map to find demolyst, kill demolyst, rinse and repeat.

There is a lot of running around needed, which is what he excels at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TaurusDeRoma said:

He has very solid kit.

Use his 1 to charge his battery, stay on the move as well.

His 2 as damage resistance, and adds a slash proc when running into walls with his one.

His three for charging his battery and CC, freeze or slow enemies, or blast them back (with Blast).

And his 4 to buff his fire rate, melee stun buff when add his 2, and to freeze enemies in one cast from his 3. Use his 1 to help charge his max his battery faster.

Also, if you are using an automatic rifle, or explosive launcher, knock enemies down with his 1, and lay down some fire behind you. If you use his signature weapons, remember to use a melee with Condition Overload, and use a Hunter's Munitions build for his Acceltra, Gas/Corrosive an his Akarius. After that, Grofit (??). There you go solid strategy for using this frame.

Frames are generally not fodder, they all have a place in a squad, and Gauss is one of the best for buffing Condition Overload on melee due to his 3, while other frames are limited to just causing 1 status effect. The only exception is Saryn, but she is a nuker, and doesn't really mesh well with team play when she is built as a toxin nuke, so Gauss is the friendliest for adding status effects to enemies.

Volt seems to have a significant Speed nerf, he seems much slower even with his 2. 

Gauss's 4 ramps up the higher his battery is, while Volt is a regular buff. Gauss has synergy built into his kit, more than Volt.

 

That is why you should always be on the move. Lay down fire behind you, and alternate between using his 1, for covering ground fast, and 3 for CC and building up charge.

i'd very much like to see you charging that battery up while dealing with tons of enemies , u are saying that i should build ''tanky'' guardian+grace+repair+adaptation isnt enough tanky i guess shall i put umbral fiber too ? in theory its all fine right he is super good and doesnt need any tweak  but u are wrong if im constantly running to charge the damn thing for it to be useful for 1 sec whats the point even if u dont get hit it drains your battery  u stop for 1 sec to deal with for example 5 enemy that u can easily slash through with your melee and boom no battery left where did it go ? i can see you are gonna say that i should keep his redline up up up always up at %100 but here is the thing lets say u have 50 sec on his 4 and u are trying to charge it by running around which is keeping you back from actually playing the game but whatever  30 35 sec of a 50 sec ability is gone trying to charge it to 100 now please explain me how is he solid outside of sorties ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, emirdemir01 said:

i'd very much like to see you charging that battery up while dealing with tons of enemies , u are saying that i should build ''tanky'' guardian+grace+repair+adaptation isnt enough tanky i guess shall i put umbral fiber too ? in theory its all fine right he is super good and doesnt need any tweak  but u are wrong if im constantly running to charge the damn thing for it to be useful for 1 sec whats the point even if u dont get hit it drains your battery  u stop for 1 sec to deal with for example 5 enemy that u can easily slash through with your melee and boom no battery left where did it go ? i can see you are gonna say that i should keep his redline up up up always up at %100 but here is the thing lets say u have 50 sec on his 4 and u are trying to charge it by running around which is keeping you back from actually playing the game but whatever  30 35 sec of a 50 sec ability is gone trying to charge it to 100 now please explain me how is he solid outside of sorties ?

The whole point is to move and shoot. One of the reasons why he is pretty good with AoE weapons like launchers. Increase his duration, and even  though it will take longer to build up, the buff will remain up for longer than it would otherwise. The entire kit is supposed to be a hit-and-run play-style. Run enemies over, shoot at them, or use ground finisher or slide attack, whichever works. You still can kill and shoot enemies, you just have to keep moving. His 3 can help if you need to stay in one place, it just needs a buff to help build charge.

Right now, bulldoze enemies, and shoot them while they are down. Don't just use the ability when it is at 100%, use it as you build up charge, w/ a Condition Overload weapon and his 3, you'll be able to keep your damage output up reasonably well.

If you need to deal with enemies, freeze them with your 3, dash and shoot, or freeze and melee and quickly shooting as you move out.

I can easily get my charge up using the above strategy, I just need to increase my duration to keep my buff up longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, YazMatazO said:

I got a Host Migration the other day while playing the Berehynia node in Arbitration. Two players were left in the squad and we only needed another round to extract. I was on my Volt and the other dude was on Gauss. Me - hold the busy D tower on my own while asking him to take the other towers. He's like - ok. We lost the round. 

So the real question is: Why wouldn't you just abandon D, and keep up A, B and C together with the Gauss?
Seems like you did a dumb dumb here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TaurusDeRoma said:

The whole point is to move and shoot. One of the reasons why he is pretty good with AoE weapons like launchers. Increase his duration, and even  though it will take longer to build up, the buff will remain up for longer than it would otherwise. The entire kit is supposed to be a hit-and-run play-style. Run enemies over, shoot at them, or use ground finisher or slide attack, whichever works. You still can kill and shoot enemies, you just have to keep moving. His 3 can help if you need to stay in one place, it just needs a buff to help build charge.

Right now, bulldoze enemies, and shoot them while they are down. Don't just use the ability when it is at 100%, use it as you build up charge, w/ a Condition Overload weapon and his 3, you'll be able to keep your damage output up reasonably well.

If you need to deal with enemies, freeze them with your 3, dash and shoot, or freeze and melee and quickly shooting as you move out.

I can easily get my charge up using the above strategy, I just need to increase my duration to keep my buff up longer.

under heavy fire from all angle in a place like lua for example wont reward you for trying to ''bulldoze'' enemies because it gets chaotic pretty quick u are trying to charge up battery and also trying to kill stuff but while doing it u are losing the battery anyway most of the time its not even worth using his 4 because only if u put a lot of duration it'll make u feel like it actually increases your dps and in that u are sacrificing other stats and im not even mentioning it gets harder to charge up his battery if u have a lot of duration on him right now its just a joke it must be a joke , micro management at its peak but not rewarding at all , u are doing your best to keep things up but when u see a harrow using his 2 to get all of your 4's buff it makes u feel like whats the point ?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019-09-03 at 10:57 AM, -AxHx-Vile said:

I could go into detail on why Gauss is a good frame, but TaurusDeRoma and Nitresco have already done a bloody great job at that.

I'd just like to say to everyone else, that what it comes down to is that Gauss is a frame that requires quite a bit of micromanagement. If you don't like that, I absolutely understand and respect that. But that doesn't mean it's a bad frame, or much worse than others for certain missions.He's just got a bit of a manual instead of a basic strategy when it comes to playstyle.

Still getting my head around this frame, but it seems to me he is much like Limbo, in that he is an excellent frame if you know how to use his full kit. Our clan has a player that is the best at running Limbo I have ever seen. Because he took the time to "Git gud!" Pretty sure that is the answer to Gauss. Just need to take the time to really feel out what his kit can do. The key, though, is keep moving. I have yet to see a weak frame.  Good hunting, all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gauss is able to deal damage and apply status procs over a huge area. Slap some range on that baby and his 1 slams and both versions of 3 can apply tremendous damage over time, nuking low-level maps and softening up higher level ones for you to finish off with your weapons. His 3 goes through walls, so it's a great way to affect enemies in tight maps. When you slam into a wall with your 2 active, you apply some heavy-duty slash procs to everything around you, so even in closed-in maps, his damage is really good.

He also supplies intense CC. He's able to knock down enemies pretty much whenever he feels like it, nullifying their damage and opening them up to finishers for basically no energy. His Cold 3 slows enemies, and the empowered version totally stuns them for a long duration. His Hot 3 staggers enemies and leaves them unable to fire for a few moments due to the heat proc.

I would compare him to Vauban in the sense that your abilities aren't there to do all the winning for you, they are there to empower your gunplay. You can reach objectives and groups of enemies at a breakneck pace, slow them down, light them up, knock them over, and weaken them so it's easier for you to kill them and harder for them to kill you. His 4 makes you shoot and reload faster, giving you a massive boost to DPS and making everything else he does even better. A huge AoE stun, face-melting AoE damage, limitless speed, and extra damage out of his homing missiles.

Perhaps the most important thing is that he's fun. Zipping around while bowling enemies over is wickedly satisfying. He's a joy to play.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

So the real question is: Why wouldn't you just abandon D, and keep up A, B and C together with the Gauss?
Seems like you did a dumb dumb here.

Because D in that node gets 70 % of the mobs. In Arbitration you need to have all 4 points to win. 

Guess you're the dumb one here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, emirdemir01 said:

under heavy fire from all angle in a place like lua for example wont reward you for trying to ''bulldoze'' enemies because it gets chaotic pretty quick

You are building for range and strength, right? Range for a bigger area of affect, and strength to raise the lower limit of your buffs. With adaptation, and strength the range of his damage resistance is much tighter, while increasing the buff from his 4. His 3 will be what you use when things are "chaotic," just activate Red line, and enemies around you will freeze, giving you plenty of space, and distance with which to engage enemies from. Bulldozing, with his two active, will give you plenty of breathing room, since it knock enemies down in your path, and around your point of impact. With tight hallways, enemies will usually be in tight groups, which makes it easy in tile sets, and if you target a nearby wall, you can clear enemies around you pretty quick. It's just 3 (for cold or blast), dash to knock down enemies, and shoot.

The Redline is more circumstantial rather than a necessity, its for when you need the extra fire power, such as higher level. Combine with Kinetic plating, you can stagger enemies with melee, and keep them in check, while charging, with 1 and 3. I rarely use it as well, but when I do, it is for when I need to up my DPS, and when I know I can keep on the move. It is better suited for missions where everything is spread out rather than close together. When ever I need to remain stationary, I use his 3, and keep to melee, and use his guns when I have space.

This is going to be a lot of back and forth, so maybe one of should concede that trying to convince each other that Redline isn't completely useless is kind of pointless since we're both going to keep comeing up with counterexamples over and over again until we are back into a corner, and just have to imagine the most unlikely scenarios just to stump one another. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nichivo said:

Pizza delivery! Never a free pizza when Gauss delivers. 

Gauss delivers Konzu's early lunch way too early

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, YazMatazO said:

Because D in that node gets 70 % of the mobs. In Arbitration you need to have all 4 points to win. 

Guess you're the dumb one here. 

You can always abandon one point for a short amount of time to save the other points. You chose to not do that. You, just like the other player in your squad, chose to lose the round.
And what the other player did had nothing to do with the selected Warframe. You can bring any Warframe and do fine in Arbitration. You just have to kill the Drones. That's where Weapons are important. So you shouldn't say that Gauss is useless. You should say that the weapons of said players are useless. Or the player just can't aim...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here you go fam, Gauss is a really solid frame. Beyond the typical reasons hes a very solid frame, I think people just need a bit more time adjusting to him.
Other than not being able to stay in long endurance runs, which I think is his only con. Hes a great frame, DPS, Speed, Gameplay everything about him is just really good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could go into detail on why Gauss is a good frame, but TaurusDeRoma and Nitresco have already done a bloody great job at that.

I'd just like to say to everyone else, that what it comes down to is that Gauss is a frame that requires quite a bit of micromanagement. If you don't like that, I absolutely understand and respect that. But that doesn't mean it's a bad frame, or much worse than others for certain missions.He's just got a bit of a manual instead of a basic strategy when it comes to playstyle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TaurusDeRoma said:

You are building for range and strength, right? Range for a bigger area of affect, and strength to raise the lower limit of your buffs. With adaptation, and strength the range of his damage resistance is much tighter, while increasing the buff from his 4. His 3 will be what you use when things are "chaotic," just activate Red line, and enemies around you will freeze, giving you plenty of space, and distance with which to engage enemies from. Bulldozing, with his two active, will give you plenty of breathing room, since it knock enemies down in your path, and around your point of impact. With tight hallways, enemies will usually be in tight groups, which makes it easy in tile sets, and if you target a nearby wall, you can clear enemies around you pretty quick. It's just 3 (for cold or blast), dash to knock down enemies, and shoot.

The Redline is more circumstantial rather than a necessity, its for when you need the extra fire power, such as higher level. Combine with Kinetic plating, you can stagger enemies with melee, and keep them in check, while charging, with 1 and 3. I rarely use it as well, but when I do, it is for when I need to up my DPS, and when I know I can keep on the move. It is better suited for missions where everything is spread out rather than close together. When ever I need to remain stationary, I use his 3, and keep to melee, and use his guns when I have space.

This is going to be a lot of back and forth, so maybe one of should concede that trying to convince each other that Redline isn't completely useless is kind of pointless since we're both going to keep comeing up with counterexamples over and over again until we are back into a corner, and just have to imagine the most unlikely scenarios just to stump one another. 

im not trying to convince you to see gauss as an underwhelming frame what im trying to explain is that he requires some tweaks to all of his abilities u are trying to explain how to play a warframe that i already know how 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gauss 1 is way more easy to control than Volt speed buff IMO. You should just use the full run in corridor and large open area, and the rest of the time just tap it to get a burst of movement in one direction.

Also his run can be cancelled by pretty much anything (aiming, jumpin) which is very appreciable. You can even start to reload your weapon and break into a run without stopping the reload. 

His tankiness is not in his 2. It's in his mobility. Exactly like you don't want ro tank with Banshee and instead use her 3 to stun and rush enemies, you use Gauss speed to not being targeted and kill quickly.

His 4 is good but requires a lot of micromanagement if you want to make it go to 100%. TBH I stopped worrying about it. I just use his speed to stay over the red line but I don't force myself to build up the battery.

His 3 freeze, but you can also make use of the blast by casting fire then ice : it pulls enemies on the center of the circle and you can kill them all in one go with it.

He is a fun frame and clearly isn't bad. More versatile than he looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

You can always abandon one point for a short amount of time to save the other points. You chose to not do that. You, just like the other player in your squad, chose to lose the round.
And what the other player did had nothing to do with the selected Warframe. You can bring any Warframe and do fine in Arbitration. You just have to kill the Drones. That's where Weapons are important. So you shouldn't say that Gauss is useless. You should say that the weapons of said players are useless. Or the player just can't aim...

Yeah, whatever... you just make arguments to try to have the last say, I guess. And no, you can't abandon some points - that point in Mithra behind the door, for example. You can't let go of that one. Mars' Spear mid point, as well - constant trickle of mobs. Yeah... I'll agree that you can bring any frame in Arbitration, though having some form of cc would help. I compare how Gauss performed against other frames in the same situation. Situation that I've managed to hold 3 points on other frames, while my teammate has been on the busy point after another Host Migration. Yeah... I have to say Gauss must be the first frame I'd say is just plain bad for that particular job. He's got... nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He should be the king of Kuva farming in Kuva Disruption for all of Warframe for all time.  The mode was made for him but the drops and time spent just aren’t worth it and I’m totally disappointed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He CC's, nukes, hauls ass through map, has a decent damage steroid, and excellent synergy with Condition Overload while not being as reliant on a priming weapon should he choose not to. Now, whether or not the person playing him has the situational awareness and knowledge to leverage the flexibility of his kit, well, that's a different story entirely. *shrug*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's pretty well-rounded aside from the obvious advantage of ludicrous speed, but demands micromanagement. Jack of trades, master of one.

To get him really going, you're going to need a decent amount of both energy and battery. Having an excess of one can help you fuel the other. Lots of battery, little energy? Toggle your kinetic plating while sprinting around and accumulate energy from enemies shooting you. Lots of energy, little battery? Use his first ability if you're on the move or tap his third ability if at a stationary objective.

Once you're at the initial battery limit with a good amount of energy, you can start playing him more comfortably. Ideally, you're going to want to be near that battery limit as much as possible. His kit is very reactive based on enemy intensity. Have your kinetic plating active as much as possible. It constantly gives energy in exchange for battery whenever you get hit. If you're getting hit too much and your battery starts to get too low, press 3 to exchange the energy it has been giving you for battery. I can't emphasize enough how reactive this is. In low intensity situations, you will not be dishing out much CC. In high-intensity situations, you will be constantly freezing everything around you. Having at least decent range helps with this. Definitely try to keep battery on the higher side, as it dramatically lowers the recharge delay and increases the recharge rate of his shields. Those shields are important because they can be used to generate energy unlike other forms of damage-based energy like Rage. Gauss is not a great health tank, but combining Adaptation, Kinetic Plating, his crazy shield replenish, and liberal use of Thermal Sunder makes him pretty durable.

Redline is a tricky ability to use.properly. It has some powerful aspects both by itself and in relation to other abilities. The problem is that once you use it, you need to commit yourself towards getting it to 100%. The easiest way to do so is simply dedicating to Mach Rushing as much as possible. I would not suggest using this ability unless you've got the time to essentially just run around and knock enemies over.

Once Redline is at 100%, you've now got access to many benefits, some of which are pretty significant. Firstly, battery usage from abilities is negated. This means Kinetic Plating is giving you immunity to physical, cold, heat, and blast. You also get guaranteed stagger and a 100% damage bonus for melee attacks. Thermal Sunder's heat mode no longer drains your precious battery, allowing you to utilize it properly. You can now combine the cold and heat mode to strip 50% of current armor off of enemies, in addition to knocking them down (and either push them away with cold-heat or pull them together into a clump with heat-cold). This gets usage against Grineer, mostly. I would stick to cold versus other factions because armor isn't as much of an issue, and instantly freezing enemies solid with a single ability cast is useful. The buffs given by the ability itself are not bad, either. You get Harrow's Penance buffs, but with a greater emphasis on fire rate instead of reload speed. You get a slightly lesser version of Volt's melee speed bonus, but without the movement speed bonus that may annoy some people at higher percentages. You gain a holster bonus that is useful if you're using, say, an armor-stripping primary/secondary you wish to switch to and away from quickly.

Overall, he's not a frame you want to play if you don't like any sort of micro. He is a good pick if you want to go fast, but also want to do bunch of other things while going fast. If that makes any sense. He definitely gives some of the same vibes I got when learning how to utilize the entirety of Harrow's kit, and that same level of depth and micromanagement is probably why the community will be divided on him. Which is fine. Frames with diverse reputations are usually a lot more interesting than ones people collectively agree are good or bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

primarily for speedrunning non Endless Missions. exactly what you think Gauss was for.

Mach Rush is best used in pulses for the quick Acceleration but still being able to navigate.
has some Damage and DR to check those boxes of being able to AoE Kill things and also not die in normal Missions - the boxes that every Warframe is required to tick now by design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gauss is good in environment where people would complain a lot of Volt's speed buff they can't handle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...