Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Balance Ash's Bladestorm

coolitic

2 of ash's abilities, shuriken and bladestorm, both gave devs a lot of problems for balancing. However, I will talk about how to balance Ash's bladestorm ability. The problem right now is, it doesnt do much dmg/s and upgraded weapon will kill more enemies faster. (as of now, you really only use bladestorm because it lets you sit back and watch).

A great way to make it work while still making it look cool is to make it work similarly to Juggernaut's Omnislash in Dota 2 which makes it much faster.

Here is what his ability looks like in Dota 2 if some of you dont know.

Skip to 1:15

EDIT: Im pretty sure Ash is high-lvl warframe, so why does he suck the most on high levels? (the irony)

Edited by coolitic

on top of this, which sounds useful (and maybe even more badass than Bladestorm already is), i've always felt that Bladestorm simply dispatches larger groups of enemies too slowly, not even a DPS factor, just a 'not being useful to the team' factor.

i'd quite like it if Ash created a shadow of himself or something of the like, so two targets could be dealt with at a time. ideally showing both on the screen so you get even more badass per second. lol.

Bladestorm is a panic button. While it can't compete with your actual DPS, it does some damage while letting you get your shields back.

But it has several drawbacks:

1. You don't really want to use it as a panic button, you want to use it as an opener when there are a lot of enemies around.

2. If a teammate drops or the pod is under attack while you are using it, you will not be able to help.

2000 armor ignore damage per target is low damage?

And people complain about Mags Crush at 1000 and not armor ignore, those fools...

Mag's Crush immediately renders all enemies in range harmless and doesn't take 15 seconds to execute. Not saying it's great, but Bladestorm has serious drawbacks that you won't see if only looking at the damage values.

Unfortunately, Shuriken is much better at dispatching problem enemies than BS is. Its weaknesses really show in extreme mission levels (120+), where you'll stab every single enemy for thousands of damage and they won't die. The time executing the ability I'm fine with, as long as stuff is dying. When nothing is dying and the DPS you're dealing out isn't the equivalent of what your gun does.....the ability becomes a severe disappointment.

I'm not really sure what they can do to fix it, other than removing the sweet animations they gave it. It's a good abiliity, it's just hard to compare it all the instant AoEs other 'frames offer.

Bladestorm is a panic button. While it can't compete with your actual DPS, it does some damage while letting you get your shields back.

1. You don't really want to use it as a panic button, you want to use it as an opener when there are a lot of enemies around.

2. If a teammate drops or the pod is under attack while you are using it, you will not be able to help.

Mag's Crush immediately renders all enemies in range harmless and doesn't take 15 seconds to execute. Not saying it's great, but Bladestorm has serious drawbacks that you won't see if only looking at the damage values.

Thats why Im all in favor of 4s like his, use it well or dont use it.

Simple as that.

Smoke Screen is panic button (but as of new update, you still get hit by bullets but not problem cuz of knockback, probably not to make it OP in conclave)

Edited by coolitic

Unfortunately, Shuriken is much better at dispatching problem enemies than BS is. Its weaknesses really show in extreme mission levels (120+), where you'll stab every single enemy for thousands of damage and they won't die. The time executing the ability I'm fine with, as long as stuff is dying. When nothing is dying and the DPS you're dealing out isn't the equivalent of what your gun does.....the ability becomes a severe disappointment.

I'm not really sure what they can do to fix it, other than removing the sweet animations they gave it. It's a good abiliity, it's just hard to compare it all the instant AoEs other 'frames offer.

The problem with shuriken is that it has poor energy economy for dps purposes, so an added effect/overhaul would be the only way to fix it.

If we're talking lower level  < 75 level enemies, then the ability is fine.

However, if you want to talk about 100+ viability, then Ash in general is pointless (if you're a Min/Maxer) when compared to Loki.

He is still bad with low level enemies as it still takes very long to execute.

The problem with shuriken is that it has poor energy economy for dps purposes, so an added effect/overhaul would be the only way to fix it.

You can mod to compensate for it, at which point it becomes pretty efficient. But yes, compared to how much stuff something like Slash Dash will kill with one use, Shuriken doesn't feel like it has a good cost ratio. I typically spam it 4 or 5 times when my rifle runs out, or when open up with it when a wave comes in, in a Defense Mission.

Thats why Im all in favor of 4s like his, use it well or dont use it.

Simple as that.

Bladestorm isn't a very teamwork oriented power. being a Co-op game, eventually Bladestorm is going to need to be more team oriented. if Ash is going to effectively not exist for upwards of 17 seconds, but he's still in the match, meaning more enemies spawning, etc - most of the enemies he'll kill with those long animations are trash mobs - so then, what is he contributing to the team?

don't get me wrong, i want Ash to be a useful contribution. but if he's not existing to take a few bullets for the objective, or to thin out enemy fire to reduce the damage his teammates take, or to kill specific enemies which are more of a threat than others, what is he providing to the team? the rate he kills the enemies at (or doesn't for high level mobs), can be quite slow, so his contribution can be quite low. 

i've heard the marked enemies for Bladestorm have some sort of supression effect on them, but that doesn't seem to be the case when i see Bladestorm being used, so other than killing one enemy every few seconds, Ash is not providing as much to the team as he was just standing there, shooting a gun. this is the main issue. Ash is usually contributing more to the team standing in one spot, shooting a gun(and probably killing enemies as fast as Bladestorm, if not faster), rather than invisible for a long amount of time, and animation locked. 

mending this will be a tough one, i don't really know how to improve Bladestorm. 

once again, it's effectiveness is fine, but not the somewhat lack of teamwork orientedness Bladestorm lacks. 

edit:

by the by, Shuriken is very fair damage output for the Energy, it's not bad at all. sure, the mathematical maximum damage output Bladestorm can dish out (without Focus) is 26,000 - but it's rare that trash mobs will need 2000 dmg to kill them, and the bigger mobs will need more than 2000 at high levels. 

for the same Energy(4 uses), Shuriken will deal 4000dmg to one target (if you specifically aim it for one target, of course). 

Edited by taiiat

If we're talking lower level  < 75 level enemies, then the ability is fine.

However, if you want to talk about 100+ viability, then Ash in general is pointless (if you're a Min/Maxer) when compared to Loki.

the ability is pointless in all levels, <75 you're much better off with shuriken and your weapons

why would a frame with invisibility need a panic button... not arguing with you, just saying bladestorm is useless