Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gauss' design is very form over function, rant

basgemm

the design of gauss visually is nothing short of fantastic, you can tell at a glance that it's the racecar warframe, personally I've always wanted a mecha themed warframe, in that matter I've very satisfied with what gauss brings to the game aesthetically and to a lesser extent with his abilities. as much as I love gauss I gotta complain about some of his abilities simply because I want him to be better deserving of the design work put into him.

Passive: i'm happy he has an effect tacked along with it, given that it could have just been where they put the battery mechanic without having any use besides abilities.

March Rush: MR is thematically great, It's essential to the frame and isn't something we've seen before, especially since it has no other discernible purpose bar building battery faster and decent mobility, yep it's damage is a joke, yep it's cc is limited by not being tied to duration and frankly making it harder to hit enemies, but the ability remains fun to use and depending on the tileset very practical.

The biggest problems for me being that it doesn't scale with strength in any truly beneficial way (ideally speed would increase based on str), efficiency is dismal mainly due to it using X energy per Xm meaning it doesn't benefit from duration to provide additional efficiency.

Kinetic plating: my only problems with streamline comes from redline itself and it constantly draining battery, as such I'll just say this since it's be bugging me; why in tarnation doesn't the shield visually cover from head to toe like a big ol' bubble shield? it feels like his feet and head can still get shot! idk maybe it's my fov making it look that way...

Thermal sunder: this sucks.. I mean the cc on cold is great, and using the pull combo for melee is fun but thematically it doesn't really fit in my opinion and it feels as if it were thrown in just to fill the 3rd ability slot, I'd understand if gauss had more of an overheat mechanic making it dangerous to go at high battery (imagine sienna from vermintide 2) but since that doesn't exist it just slows down gameplay and wastes your energy to use fire, I'd have preffered a chanel ability like harrows where you channel it to cool gauss down and the longer it channels/cools the more battery efficient kinetic plating becomes and the faster the battery builds charge (or idk make it give battery charge when you ram into fools)

Redline: it's solid, the dps increase comes at the sacrafice of sweet sweet ammo, something especially limited when playing with his signature weaponry, the melee speed is good, reload and holster speed depend much more on your loadout than a flat attack speed buff. overall it's underwhelming for what and how long the casting animation is, which leads me to the last bit, who the #*!% decided to make it so it takes longer to get to 100% when you increase duration? IN WARFRAME'S CASE DURATION HAS ALWAYS BEEN GETTING THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT OUT OF THE SAME ENERGY COST SO THE LOGIC THAT IT'S INCREASING THE SIZE OF THE BATTERY AND THUS THE TIME IT TAKES TO CHARGE IT ,IS INAPPLICABLE. this ability is outstanding.. for the last 5 seconds of it's duration that is...

the 4th ability is normally where you get the game changer, the ability that makes the warframe stick out, be it Mesa's peacemakers or hildryn's apache mode there's there's always satisfaction when you press 4 and something big happens, In Gauss' case the only big thing to happen is a cool animation... gauss' attempt at imitating harrow's quick shooting, a melee speed buff similar to valkyr and the ability to make thermal sunder and kinetic plating good..  for 10 seconds... What a boatload of ass... and did I mention none of those buffs scale with strength?

Changes I'd make:

1. battery gain scales with power strength or efficiency passively

2. thermal sunder empties the battery and grants a movement speed and attack speed buff which scales of STRENGTH and duration

3. redline is now channeled and no longer drains battery. redline no longer provides attack speed buffs but it increases the battery cap by 100%  scaling of power strength to increase the cap further, redline provides a damage multiplier equal to the redline percentage, redline also allows thermal sunder to achieve much greater buffs due to filling the battery beyond 100%.

4. make march rush a channelled ability consuming energy only when you sprint or roll, and make the energy drain into energy/s, maybe even make it give battery per enemy ran over (march rush doesn't need to do damage since it has it's place purely as mobility and lite cc)

5. Kinetic plating with the aforementioned changes to the other systems would be a god tier ability, imagine old immortal wukong but it actually requires upkeep and player interraction

*Edit*1: essentially if it sounds like gauss'd be overpowered, then so be it, it's better to be op in warframe than to quietly fall into obscurity as the honeymoon period ends , think titania; she got some love recently but is still mediocre and underused, she released mediocre and stayed mediocre and without continual community interest she wouldn't have gotten any changes. just remember that frames like mesa, chroma, trinity etc exist, most seem to fill one specific purpose but when did we forget that mesa can constantly be rocking 95% damage reduction whilst staggering and damaging enemies that do shoot her this is on the same frame that has a 4th ability with good enough efficiency to melt anything given enough time regardless of how poorply modded it is 

Edited by basgemm
additional opinion at the bottom
  • Like 1

From what I've seen he seems mostly fine, what I'd do.

1. Buff March Rush from 2m/1e to 4m/1e and change it's supercharge to increased speed and larger AoE.

2. Remove the constant battery drain from Kinetic Plating and maybe reduce the drain per hit to 5% at max.

3. Make Redline take the same amount of time to max out it's buffs regardless of duration.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, basgemm said:

Thermal sunder: this sucks.. I mean the cc on cold is great, and using the pull combo for melee is fun but thematically it doesn't really fit in my opinion and it feels as if it were thrown in just to fill the 3rd ability slot, I'd understand if gauss had more of an overheat mechanic making it dangerous to go at high battery (imagine sienna from vermintide 2) but since that doesn't exist it just slows down gameplay and wastes your energy to use fire, I'd have preffered a chanel ability like harrows where you channel it to cool gauss down and the longer it channels/cools the more battery efficient kinetic plating becomes and the faster the battery builds charge (or idk make it give battery charge when you ram into fools)

His powers revolve around kinetic energy. Thermal Sunder fits extremely well. Drain kinetic energy from your surroundings and the particles that make up matter will lose that energy. Which means, they slow down or stop moving. Hence, the Cold effect. Vice versa for heat. 

55 minutes ago, basgemm said:

So I just found out accidentally that quick thinking + kinetic plating = invincibility

Even at low battery charge ? Cause taking damage will deplete your battery, and with low battery that's a mediocre 20% DR (at base strength)

Nah not really, you can still get killed by energy drain or simply oneshotted by lets say lvl 200+ nullifier lanka/bombard/ancient distruptor will wreck you if he drains all your energy with his hand attack or get nullified (happens alot in distruption mode). Its strong tho no doubt. There are few frames that can tank such damage also. But yeah will see, they should keep it imo not like Gauss is super op or something.