Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Endgame mission modifiers

(PSN)EmilsTekcor

Relatively simple concept before a mission the host can open a mod window that will allow mods to be applied to the mission. The mods are researched in the dojo and can either increase or decrease difficultly. Increase and decreases will affect loot and affinity based on the mod and level.

I've labeled them in  3 categories generic, unique, and mission specific. 

Generics will give small bonuses and general stat boosts to enemies. Increased stats provide a small increase to loot and exp and decreases are a large decrease to loot and rarity. 

Unique mods would be mostly penalties to players and restrictions like constant energy drain, zero armor, no recoverable energy, health drain, etc...

Mission specific mods would be specific to the mission type and alter the challenge.

I think a slightly better way would be when the new railjack stuff comes out DE could have a look at the Orokin Lab research and expand on it's research possibilities. For example building a collection of keys ranked like standard, expert, master etc (either this or off the ranks of Mastery Rank to make it more useful then a time gate after you pass the mastery rank levels of gear) then launching from the from the Clan/Alliance built solar rails. In essence it would be a disruption style sortie mission but that's just my take on it.

Just now, Cuchullin said:

I think a slightly better way would be when the new railjack stuff comes out DE could have a look at the Orokin Lab research and expand on it's research possibilities. For example building a collection of keys ranked like standard, expert, master etc (either this or off the ranks of Mastery Rank to make it more useful then a time gate after you pass the mastery rank levels of gear) then launching from the from the Clan/Alliance built solar rails. In essence it would be a disruption style sortie mission but that's just my take on it.

No I'm sorry, but the idea behind being able to increase difficultly is to add player choice. If you want to die you can, if you want it to be crazy easy and kill everything instantly with next to zero loot you can. The general idea is that players will be able to in essence build their own endgame. The game has a stale feeling of content because there is a drop and you farm it's very static with a system like this you can have as much challenge as you want and it will keep up with power creep.

Fair point but wouldn't having mission modifiers wouldn't exactly be sustainable either given that a lot of vets wouldn't get much sustainable content out of it. For example giving small enemy boosts isn't going to do much when you have a nuke load-out that can tear through enemies. Unique mods that will essentially cripple your kill rate I doubt is going to be popular unless there's stunning rewards (which would run out fairly quickly) and mission specific mods to change the mission wouldn't work unless you have more then the ten or so in the game already

40 minutes ago, Cuchullin said:

Fair point but wouldn't having mission modifiers wouldn't exactly be sustainable either given that a lot of vets wouldn't get much sustainable content out of it. For example giving small enemy boosts isn't going to do much when you have a nuke load-out that can tear through enemies. Unique mods that will essentially cripple your kill rate I doubt is going to be popular unless there's stunning rewards (which would run out fairly quickly) and mission specific mods to change the mission wouldn't work unless you have more then the ten or so in the game already

It'd go up to about 10x boosts in stats which would be useful, the loot boosts could increase rarity and drops of items. Unique modifiers could include things like arbiter drones and other challenges. The mission specific ones would just be things like in a defense mission the target has less health or bosses spawn in pairs, also things that get rid of revives. It would be sustainable as players could earn rewards faster at a higher difficultly and I know how overpowered players are which is why the best mods would essentially cripple the players. Also it would stack with existing mission modifiers so high end challenges would be awesome. 

Interesting but knowing full well this might be nitpicking given the drop tables being what they are wouldn't DE run out of them pretty quickly. I'm not disagreeing that as a game-play style defense target awareness has it's place but I would think it would have to be very carefully introduced. For example in the disruption missions it was introduced pretty well but I believe I've seen one or two comments at least where people are running out of rewards already. If you were to introduce a mechanic into a game that has essentially a policy of maximizing player power I would guess that if a mode was introduced that required a self imposed nerf wouldn't go over well.

Personally I think I would prefer a type of mod or key that required a skill based mechanic to activate but would disrupt the abilities of the player until It was active. Similar to the dragon keys/relics but if a number of set head shots in a row with an aim offset or something similar activated the key it would give a player or team boost for a time but also bring out an enemy flood or double boss fight or random corrupted/syndicate/stalker + posse/ insert whatever enemies you want here. This way players can work on using in-game skills and still get an enemy to use it on. Just a thought though.

3 hours ago, Cuchullin said:

Interesting but knowing full well this might be nitpicking given the drop tables being what they are wouldn't DE run out of them pretty quickly. I'm not disagreeing that as a game-play style defense target awareness has it's place but I would think it would have to be very carefully introduced. For example in the disruption missions it was introduced pretty well but I believe I've seen one or two comments at least where people are running out of rewards already. If you were to introduce a mechanic into a game that has essentially a policy of maximizing player power I would guess that if a mode was introduced that required a self imposed nerf wouldn't go over well.

Personally I think I would prefer a type of mod or key that required a skill based mechanic to activate but would disrupt the abilities of the player until It was active. Similar to the dragon keys/relics but if a number of set head shots in a row with an aim offset or something similar activated the key it would give a player or team boost for a time but also bring out an enemy flood or double boss fight or random corrupted/syndicate/stalker + posse/ insert whatever enemies you want here. This way players can work on using in-game skills and still get an enemy to use it on. Just a thought though.

Honestly I have to agree with you completely as someone with essentially everything and the urge to challenge myself I'd probably have everything and then some tbh.

However the general idea is that before any mission you can give self imposed nerfs. The idea is that it's totally optional and if they have good modifiers that aren't just enemy stat buffs it could be a really fun challenge. 

Also they could add higher level mods to the game as the ceiling for difficultly would be heightened exponentially.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)EmilsTekcor said:

However the general idea is that before any mission you can give self imposed nerfs. The idea is that it's totally optional and if they have good modifiers that aren't just enemy stat buffs it could be a really fun challenge. 

Also they could add higher level mods to the game as the ceiling for difficultly would be heightened exponentially.

It's pretty understandable to be honest. It's just the inherent problem at the moment is that I don't think DE expected Warframe to last as long as it has tbh and it wasn't designed purely with that in mind. Beyond that with a lot of resources being tied up in mainline stuff it's unsure when the'll focus on things like this.

First before anything, DE should rework the basic structure of Missions, Combat, and Artificial Intelligence. altering those 3 unchanged things may change the game as a whole.

i kind of wish weapons felt as great as they do in COD: Modern Warfare, the new one, a bit more weighted and solid feeling.

I wish A.I was a bit more deep, fleshed out with a.i performing tactical movements, and other things

But also all missions, throughout the game could see overhauls, and have new behind the scenes modifiers + other changes. 

What if the game had a alteration to switch between regular mode, where all nodes are as they are, and Arbitration Mode?

its a simple switch, unlocked alongside Arbitrations. that allows you to change all levels across the game to lv60 base. from whatever they were

As well, all levels now come with modifiers 2 of them. that change up each missions difficulties, like nightmare mods + sortie mods or Arbitration mods. 

In these, even more enemies will spawn, and it will be a bit tougher. with no revives (but you can still pick up teammates, no revive tokens, but you can resuscitate allies)

All these missions get a +50% bonus drop rate to resources, loot. and +100% more affinity and credits rewarded. 

3 hours ago, (PS4)Tomplexthis said:

First before anything, DE should rework the basic structure of Missions, Combat, and Artificial Intelligence. altering those 3 unchanged things may change the game as a whole.

i kind of wish weapons felt as great as they do in COD: Modern Warfare, the new one, a bit more weighted and solid feeling.

I wish A.I was a bit more deep, fleshed out with a.i performing tactical movements, and other things

But also all missions, throughout the game could see overhauls, and have new behind the scenes modifiers + other changes. 

What if the game had a alteration to switch between regular mode, where all nodes are as they are, and Arbitration Mode?

its a simple switch, unlocked alongside Arbitrations. that allows you to change all levels across the game to lv60 base. from whatever they were

As well, all levels now come with modifiers 2 of them. that change up each missions difficulties, like nightmare mods + sortie mods or Arbitration mods. 

In these, even more enemies will spawn, and it will be a bit tougher. with no revives (but you can still pick up teammates, no revive tokens, but you can resuscitate allies)

All these missions get a +50% bonus drop rate to resources, loot. and +100% more affinity and credits rewarded. 

Problem is none of that is hard. The concept is to give challenge. I agree with everything else though. Also mods are a great system which is why I'd like researched mods so more can be added in after the initial release.

4 hours ago, Cuchullin said:

It's pretty understandable to be honest. It's just the inherent problem at the moment is that I don't think DE expected Warframe to last as long as it has tbh and it wasn't designed purely with that in mind. Beyond that with a lot of resources being tied up in mainline stuff it's unsure when the'll focus on things like this.

That's why I'd like mods that can be applied to missions, it isn't hard to program. Also I would like more items maybe legendary mods to try for.

I played a game called God Mode a while ago. It had this concept. Before a round would start, you could apply nerfs like health nerfs, damage nerfs, and each nerf would increase the rewards.

In my opinion, it didn't really make the game more fun, but that's not the sort of thing I go for.

Honest and truly, such a mechanic does currently exist in the game to some extent, but it doesn't have much of a reward connected to it unless you're playing a derelict mission. I am of course speaking of the Dragon Keys. They don't scale difficulty though.

On 2019-09-05 at 3:31 PM, sir_deadlock said:

I played a game called God Mode a while ago. It had this concept. Before a round would start, you could apply nerfs like health nerfs, damage nerfs, and each nerf would increase the rewards.

In my opinion, it didn't really make the game more fun, but that's not the sort of thing I go for.

Honest and truly, such a mechanic does currently exist in the game to some extent, but it doesn't have much of a reward connected to it unless you're playing a derelict mission. I am of course speaking of the Dragon Keys. They don't scale difficulty though.

Dragon keys are interesting to me tbh, I'd personally just want this as it wouldn't be an insane concept programing wise and I'd have fun.