Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

ROLL A DICE in warfarme

danielxmeu

I would like to have a command in warframe chat to roll a dice, i think it would be a easy thing to do for the devs and it could be rly usefull to the players.
The command could be: /roll or /dice in the chat and the output would be 1 to 6.
Like when you do the "/unstuck" comand you get the message: "You have been unstuck!".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, danielxmeu said:

The reason it that i have in my clan the game tennopoly and im using discord to help with the management and im planing to do another board game like the "game of goose" with in warframe.
no joke

There are "dice applications" that can be used with Discord, such as Dice Maiden.

[ There is no reason to enable this in Warframe.]

8 hours ago, Vethalon said:

It would honestly take a ui guy like 2min. Just a /rand12 for a 12 sided die. I second this wish. +1

Nothing is ever just 2 minutes when changing something in a complex system.

1. Decide parameters. Will this be '6 sided die' only? How many sides will we allow?
  2. Decide on chat command to use, make sure it doesn't for some reason get caught in chat filters.
  3. Or design a button, have art department make some possible images to consider, check that they scale with the UI options, check for readability, figure out where to place them.
  4. Make or call some existing RNG code.
  5. Is this going into chat? Will you have to worry that it gets whooshed away if chat is moving quickly? If it's going in the UI instead, then like #3, gotta design, test placement, etc.
  6. Deploy solution.
  7. Receive feedback from players on issues that weren't apparent until someone used the function 500 times in a row and sort through conflicting suggestions and try to determine the majority to make the most people happy.
  8. Make changes and test again.
  9. Repeat from 6 until no major issue remain.

19 hours ago, danielxmeu said:

The reason it that i have in my clan the game tennopoly and im using discord to help with the management and im planing to do another board game like the "game of goose" with in warframe.
no joke
0WAqRAy.png

Ok. That's cool as all hell. I officially retract any and all objections to in-house dice I previously had. 

(But the suggestion is to have it not accessible from the main chat channels: region, trade and recruitment.) 

On 2019-09-06 at 12:19 PM, Hobie-wan said:

Nothing is ever just 2 minutes when changing something in a complex system.

1. Decide parameters. Will this be '6 sided die' only? How many sides will we allow?
  2. Decide on chat command to use, make sure it doesn't for some reason get caught in chat filters.
  3. Or design a button, have art department make some possible images to consider, check that they scale with the UI options, check for readability, figure out where to place them.
  4. Make or call some existing RNG code.
  5. Is this going into chat? Will you have to worry that it gets whooshed away if chat is moving quickly? If it's going in the UI instead, then like #3, gotta design, test placement, etc.
  6. Deploy solution.
  7. Receive feedback from players on issues that weren't apparent until someone used the function 500 times in a row and sort through conflicting suggestions and try to determine the majority to make the most people happy.
  8. Make changes and test again.
  9. Repeat from 6 until no major issue remain.

And this is just for rolling a die. Imagine how much more complex this becomes when you're making mechanical changes to the game itself!

I really wish people realized just how difficult it is in programming to make even the smallest change to a system without throwing something else out of whack. As someone who went into programming in college, the frequency with which DE drops hotfixes and iterates on things makes me happy in a way I don't know how to express.

Nothing is ever as simple as it initially appears, and that only becomes exponentially more true when you're dealing with code.