Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The "you should take a break" excuse

VanFanel1980mx

There are people every now and then that just grow tired of a lot of unsolved issues within the game, the grind, the repetitiveness, the lackluster rewards, RNG, etc., but you can always count on a lot of people telling them the same old wasted excuse of "just play another game" or "take a break from the game" as if they knew all of their gaming habits and concluded those people who complain only play Warframe and nothing else, the game is not perfect and nobody expects it to be but sometimes I wonder what those people have in their heads thinking the complainer just needs to stop playing the game despite having reasonable arguments too.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, VanFanel1980mx said:

There are people every now and then that just grow tired of a lot of unsolved issues within the game, the grind, the repetitiveness, the lackluster rewards, RNG, etc., but you can always count on a lot of people telling them the same old wasted excuse of "just play another game" or "take a break from the game" as if they knew all of their gaming habits and concluded those people who complain only play Warframe and nothing else, the game is not perfect and nobody expects it to be but sometimes I wonder what those people have in their heads thinking the complainer just needs to stop playing the game despite having reasonable arguments too.

yea seems like a stupid response to valid critisism/feedback... but then again stupid ppl respond before thinking so its not really surprising...

• Like 2

Just now, VocalMagic said:

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, their complaints can sound like symptoms of burnout. In which playing a different game for a bit is actually the correct way to get rid of burnout.

Which still means you assume is the only thing they play and not something that can still happen if you play warframe every now and then, coming back to check and still having the same issues, still a lame excuse.

• Like 4

I've seen every single franchise deteriorate from genuinly good products to bland mass appeal platforms directed by marketing departments.

It happens with games, movies, shows and probably any other entertainment industry you can think of. Warframe is no different.
While Nightwave is a brilliant way to reuse existing content, it is a piss poor replacement for the quests that we are no longer getting.
It is a blatantly obvious "engagement strategy" that many other games have used to get you to log in and play as much as possible, so that marketing can show the board that the product has a high engagement value and is therefore valuable.

It's as cynical as that. The difference here is that Steve and Scott continue to treat it as their developer playground to make what they think is fun or neat and while they are that, they are also interesting for all of thirty minutes and quickly become obnoxious chores. Archwing, K-drive and the upcoming Railjack are all examples of these and I predict it'll be the worst one yet as I've played vessel management games for over two decades (started with Klingon Academy) and it'll be so simple as to not be satisfying for me and overcomplicated for little effect for the general user.

So yeah, the burnout has less to do with people playing for thousand of hours than getting frustrated with the problems inherent to the game, such as armor scaling.

• Like 10

Let's take a look at the problem in a bit more complicated way

When you feel burned out, you want to take a look back to yourself the reason why you play warframe in the first place. Is it

• Being powerful/chasing meta
    • If you play warframe because you like being powerful or chasing the meta, you can keep chasing this until you become the best of the best, the strongest where no one can beat you in term of power and speed of wiping out things
  • Collecting items
    • If you play warframe because you want to collect things, once you finished collecting them all, you can try investing or rebuilding old gears and make them to be a viable equipment on high level
  • Other reasons
    • If you play because other reasons, you can simply play just to have fun. Not everything is a grind in warframe, you can simply take a mission, walk around blasting heads and go back to your ship. Or, you can play with the fashion, messing around on region chat or teaching new players

If you don't have any drive left in warframe, it shows that you don't want to play warframe anymore for the time being. Staying on playing warframe at this phase won't make it feel any better, it only make you feel more and more burned out and dislike warframe more, similar to relationship where you know you shouldn't stay with your partner but you don't want to let it go for some reason. The best reasoning would be taking a break, not because there's no explanation but because staying would make it worse before you will start complaining left and right

• Like 8

The bland "take a break" response is, I agree, tired and often comes across as condescending. However, in the absence of any background where all the op does is complain, it can be reasonable to assume that taking a break would help.  I think some of the opening posts in these threads could be better worded so as to avoid this happening.  You can't just call out one side and not the other.

• Like 8

Majority of the time you just need to take a break. Go get some fresh air and do something else for a while then come back when you have much more motivation, energized and awake. Trust me there is a very distinct change between results of playing a game when you have taken a break and you really should consider avoiding playing a game you feel burnt out towards.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, (XB1)Hyperion Rexx said:

in the absence of any background where all the op does is complain

I have seen it a lot in which the OP points out what they feel the game is lacking and as usual people keep assuming the burn out can only happen with extensive play sessions and not even between long breaks, sometimes the players actually go from playing a bit every day to playing a bit every month or week, they check the stuff they were missing, maybe the new stuff and still find out nothing has changed significantly.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AlendasNaro said:

Majority of the time you just need to take a break. Go get some fresh air and do something else for a while then come back when you have much more motivation, energized and awake. Trust me there is a very distinct change between results of playing a game when you have taken a break and you really should consider avoiding playing a game you feel burnt out towards.

You are still assuming people don't do that at all.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VanFanel1980mx said:

same old wasted excuse

The fact that is widely used does not make it any less true. No matter how much you dislike it.

And most of these are replied to people literally complaining about "Oh, I have played for x years, I'm tired of this, always the same [poop], old times were better, the game should improve "this" way, etc". And knowing this game is a live service but has nothing solid to stop you from abusing the game until exhaustion  (such as a paywall, subscription, etc.), most players do play it until burn out. And some people do not realize that this game already offers 600+ hours (most complaints seem to come from players with 1500+ hours) on its own, more than plenty of games out there, so these players get fed up and expect DE to evolve according to their own demands since they have invested so much time and/or money in Warframe.

So what is easier if you are unhappy with the direction of the game? To bend an entire company and gaming community to your will, or to go somewhere else to rest on your own? Imagine if DE listened to every single person who thinks they have it all figured out about the game. Even if DE is quite far from perfect.

Edited by (PS4)Hikuro-93
  • Like 4

Telling people to take a break in response to valid feedback is bad, yes.  But, I've seen almost as many posts along the content of "I HAVE LITERALLY NOTHING TO DO IN THE GAME RIGHT NOW. WHYYYYY DO I HAVE TO WAIT 72 HOURS FOR A @#$%^^&^& WARFRAME TO CRAFT!?!?!" 

For those frequent garbage post, the sincere answer is to do something else in the meantime if you think there is nothing else to do.

Along the same argument though, I'm annoyed by the frequent comment of "play solo" in response to feedback about the endless list of unbalanced flaws in a co-op game. That is not the answer, and solves nothing, but we do what we can...

Edited by (PS4)Ozymandias-13-
typo

1 minute ago, (PS4)Hikuro-93 said:

So what is easier is you are unhappy with the direction of the game? To bend an entire company and gaming community to your will, or to go somewhere else to rest on your own? Imagine if DE listened to every single person who thinks they have it all figured out about the game. Even if DE is quite far from perfect.

You keep assuming people don't take a break at all, you may have played the game for years but not every day for all those years to no end and in fact probably just come back to check, unless they make their habits very clear is quite condescending.

• Like 1

On 2019-09-05 at 11:35 AM, VanFanel1980mx said:

You keep assuming people don't take a break at all, you may have played the game for years but not every day for all those years to no end and in fact probably just come back to check, unless they make their habits very clear is quite condescending.

And you keep assuming they do. What makes you the "know-it-all" about how people play while judging others for assuming based on what little information they might have? What makes you assume everyone has discipline and is not entitled enough to have bad habits and demand someone else to compensate them fr it? Quite ironic and equally condescending, if you ask me. Specially with a meta-complaint topic.

But one thing I've noticed for sure; 95% of complaint topics I see, no matter if they have good ideas or not, lack perspective over other realities. Meaning they account for OP's situation, as well as similar players, but little more than that. (Example: The whole endgame vs empowerment issue). Some people are stupid and provide pure complainty topics. Some do provide good feedback. And for some the correct response truly is "take a break", the same way sometimes there is a truly valid issue being discussed and people still use their "take a break" card against someone who does not deserve it.

I do not assume. If you create a topic for feedback or discussion giving your own opinion you must be prepared for people who will give their own, based on what information you gave. If you provide little to no information people will try to fill in the gaps in order to construct a viable opinion on whatever matter is being discussed. You cannot give lacking information and then blame people for making wrong assumptions. And even if you do give clear information some will still misunderstand and some are just plain jerks.

It's life, and it's as fair for the mindless complainer as it is for the person judging them. It's like going into the street and start judging people and at the same time saying "please don't judge me".

Edited by (PS4)Hikuro-93
  • Like 5

"Go player another game" is the agree to disagree of Warframe. Usually we do prefer to have a conversation but it's obvious that sometimes people don't want to listen to anything but their own echo.

Another way to interpret it is that, "DE is obviously not going do you suggestion anytime soon so don't hold your breathe". Your criticism may be valid but those who have stuck with Warframe throughout the years know that it may not become a thing until 3 years down the track. Sometimes we say it in good faith that Warframe is not currently the game you want so come back later once it is.

Also because General Discussion, this isn't the section for feedback.

• Like 6

This is one of the problems with games trying to be infinitely playable. Many of the mechanics they use to try and get people to never stop playing end up making the game feel more like work than just entertainment. This is why every game that tries to be infinite ends up being a massive grind. They use Skinner Boxes and FOMO to encourage addictive behavior in their players, so they feel like they can't stop playing. But it also ends up being stressful, which entertainment should not be.

Really, the whole idea that you even can get burnt out on something that is voluntary and enjoyable is crazy. Normally, if you stop enjoying it, you simply stop doing it way before you start to hate it. This is why you never hear anyone talk about getting burnt out on older, non-grindy games like Doom, or Mario, or whatever. They don't use any of these tactics to try and keep you playing forever, so you can just quit whenever you want.

Because the truth is, no game can remain entertaining forever. Eventually you get tired of it. Or, with live service games, they change so much that they are no longer anything like what you originally fell in love with. So, when they try to force infinite engagement out of their players, it inevitably turns sour.

But, sadly, Warframe is one of these games that tries to force infinite playability, so burnout is just a fact of life for us players. And really, the best thing to do when you start feeling like that is to take a break. Tell yourself that you don't really need that item right now, and come back later. Though, unfortunately, even that doesn't always help.

• Like 3

In a way taking a break is the correct thing to do if you dont like the latest update. If enough people share your view and all take a break from the game DE will notice they did something wrong because people who are on a break from warframe generally dont spend a lot of money on it. This has happened in the past and will happen whenever DE pushes out a really bad update.

• Like 4

If you eat at the same restaurant 5 times a day for 2 years, it's not really the restaurant's fault that they can't add more and more things into their menu to ensure that you have something new to eat every other week. To make matters worse, people who only see value in a game based on new rewards have a significantly limited life span on every new content. To make matters worse to worst, you also have people who only chase the meta, making content that isn't power creep useless.

What are the suggestions here? DE should just learn to cast time magic to get 72 hours in a day and work as your slave with content? Or we acknowledge that all games have a limited life span which varies between each person, and that content can't just be created out of nowhere for an individual or random group of players?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Drachnyn said:

In a way taking a break is the correct thing to do if you dont like the latest update. If enough people share your view and all take a break from the game DE will notice they did something wrong because people who are on a break from warframe generally dont spend a lot of money on it. This has happened in the past and will happen whenever DE pushes out a really bad update.

I think this is really the crux of it, truth be told. Sometimes players must just vote with their wallets/playtime. If you are alone in that vote, sad reality. But if others feel the same and do the same, then the product maker will likely take notice and be forced to adapt in order to make said product viable and wanted again.

One way or another, sad or not, Warframe is still thriving so no matter how even I would like some changes to the game I know DE might not make them. Not in the near future, at least. Until then we just have to decide individually what's best for each of us, hoping more people share our views.

Edited by (PS4)Hikuro-93
  • Like 2

Half the time this answer is just trolling. I don’t take them that seriously.

Other times, though, I’ve said this to people who seem to be complaining about things that are fundamental to the game, so it’s hard to understand what they even want changed. 

If your complaint is that the grind is too hard, or that RNG sucks, it makes me wonder what game you’ve been playing all this time.

Edit: just remembered that Steven mentioned adding some intrinsic rewards (which I think means just the fun and enjoyment of playing as opposed to getting a rare drop), so there’s hope for people that are tired of the same old warframe.

There’s also the Duviri Paradox coming, which looks like it might be a whole new paradigm of playing warframe.

Edited by (NSW)Sk0rp1on
New thot

What is wrong with taking a break or playing another game?

You either will find something that will suit your interests more or you will notice that Warframe actually is not that bad... for the price they ask for it.

Edited by rand0mname
  • Like 9