Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

MR9 test difficulty since Gauss (?) update.

srgtcolon

Question

Have you checked the MR9 (stealth kill) test lately?
Why would you. A friend struggled with it so I ran a test and those grineers are much more keen now.

I ran my live test 3 weeks ago easy, I basically crouch hid top of the columns when encroached. This does not work any more, grineers pick you out even high, across the map.
Also at start of phase 3, you could drop down to the edge of the ledge, crouch and wait for the 3 guards to walk towards you and pick them off when they turn away.
Now this happens: https://youtu.be/_4jVVS4tdB8

Did MR9 test difficulty get a boost for you too?
Or does MR difficulty scale with Quest completions? Like I did it before The War Within easy but my friend is now toast post it?

EDIT:
Fellow players have also confirmed the current extreme AI detection ranges in MR9 test Phase 3, so I posted this now under Mission BUGS:

Edit 2:
A tedious but fail safe solution that does not require any weapon or frame:

Edited by srgtcolon

Be prepared for more of this bs 10 MR tests later; MR19.

Best advice: get used to the new alert range.  A lot of us older players breezed through these because of older mechanics (banshee+redeemer still works).  Deck out with all the Enemy Radar mods you have (they'll fit regardless of polarity, its only 6 or 7). Pay attention to the direction the enemy arrows are pointing on the minimap.

Edited by (PS4)Oberionne
  • Like 1

The detection range is ridiculous.

Also you can not sit on top of the towers. they will detect you.  height is irrelevant. if they face you... they see you.

I tried the Banshee plus new Redeemer (2 point cold mod)  i'ts not enough to kill them long range if slightly off;  they then know you are there and while i was hiding at level 2 shooting the level 3 group, the farthest on the upper walkway detected me... so far away he was mostly fogged out. Plinking at range won't work.  So boost up the damage/range on the Redeemer so you can guarantee a one shot kill.

• Like 1

It's doable but all the solutions are just too tight. You can't just approach it with caution in the classic way and succeed. This isn't suited for someone on MR8, it once was.
Most tests you're doing them like no one's business and suddenly this pearl among the rocks. I did my MR9 Test way back and I didin't remember it as a challenge that I had to look up in the internet for a walkthrough. Now I had, on MR23

• Like 1

My brother was doing it literally 2 days ago. I was dying of laughter seeing him struggling. I love spy missions and i got it on second attemp.

For anyone struggling: first part is easy, second part is simple if you go middle then right then the rest. Last part you should go to left, clear upper platform and deal with the lasting 3 when they spread. Just memorize their movement.

Use Titania, Nezha, Valkyr, Ivara or Mirage, their passives help. Nezha is the easiest.

Edit: Someone mentioned wisp, this is great idea actually, free invisibility.

Edit2: Practice with Simaris first, right??

Edited by Spyro_Haze

I can't beat this mission at all. I've built the Redeemer, tried the stupid invisiblity sword from umbra. Nothing works. This might be the end of me playing. I just don't think the controls are good enough for me to even do this. My frame is jumping forward using melee, I miss jumps regularly in this game. I'm really thinking I can't keep playing cause I'm brick walled so hard. I've watched video after video. I can't make my character do the same things as them as consistently as I need to. I also don't know if I gain MR when I'm at a test so the grinding for levels and playing lower level frames and weapons isn't going to happen until I beat this stupid test. 

Just practising the test makes me want to quit the game. 

1. This isn't fun...and it's a wall for progression. 

2. stealth in this game is pure jank,

3. Watching videos of monkey see monkey do isn't fun either...and I'm not good enough to recreate those outdated videos. 

Why is this so hard now? What was wrong with people getting through it before the buff to the Grineer? Why make this gate so hard. 

I have so much stuff ready to go at MR9 too. It's a real bummer. 

Edited by (NSW)ThikFinger

3 hours ago, (NSW)ThikFinger said:

I can't beat this mission at all. I've built the Redeemer, tried the stupid invisiblity sword from umbra. Nothing works. This might be the end of me playing. I just don't think the controls are good enough for me to even do this. My frame is jumping forward using melee, I miss jumps regularly in this game. I'm really thinking I can't keep playing cause I'm brick walled so hard. I've watched video after video. I can't make my character do the same things as them as consistently as I need to. I also don't know if I gain MR when I'm at a test so the grinding for levels and playing lower level frames and weapons isn't going to happen until I beat this stupid test. 

3. Watching videos of monkey see monkey do isn't fun either...and I'm not good enough to recreate those outdated videos. 

Why is this so hard now? What was wrong with people getting through it before the buff to the Grineer? Why make this gate so hard. 

Read what I've written two post above.

Power siphon

Redeemer range boost modded - only use the ranged charged attack. 

Fury mod for speed 

Channel.

Stay far out of range.  Fire the shot. Disintigrate enemy.  No body = no detection.

----- final platform

Bullet jump back on top of the platform above.  Hit the center up top enemy from far back on the starting platform.  With a charged attack.  

Kill the next two near the back.

Kill the front two last.

Cheesed it after two practice and a final play through 

They have 1 hp so one pellet of the redeemer will kill it and channeled means no bodies"

Wisp works best but not needed.

Edited by Hexsing
Also you can use a glaive. Just not as fast

12 hours ago, (NSW)ThikFinger said:

Just use gara or excal any frame with blind ability and a Melee with high crit.

I completed it first try with gara and Pathocyst

Ok so after a good 30 mins to an hour of almost tearing my hair out, yes, phase 3 of MR9 is passable. Albeit of course, you're going to have to suck in your gut in and hold your breath because timing, speed and luck are needed in order to pull it off. I found a route that i personally found the least risky, and are as follows (was able to do this back to back, so i'm very sure that this should work with other normies like myself so long as they don't hesitate. Also had a maxed out enemy radar Aura mod to display where the enemies are and where they are facing. Also used Loki to do this because he's fast.)

EDIT: Warframe abilities DO NOT WORK in the MR9 test. They are disabled in order to test your ability to navigate through levels without raising the attention of any of the enemy ai. your mods  for your warframe and weapon will still work however.

1) once phase 3's level reveals itself, jump to the starting edge of the platform to spawn the ai grineer and immediately jump up to the platform from 2nd phase that leads to 3rd phase

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9ur445c7q6azua/MR9_Phase3_part1.jpg?dl=0

2)wait for the 3 grineer that meet up in the center to walk down the isle and split up. Once the Grineer on the right walks right and passes the right column, bullet jump over there and stab him

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1lr27rfznr5bxab/MR9_Phase3_part2.jpg?dl=0

3)After you're done with the grineer on the right, quickly turn around and get ready to catch up with the grineer who was part of the 3 who met up in the center isle, but who went left.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yr5twtdjk7n3p4y/MR9_Phase3_part3.jpg?dl=0

4) Quickly dispatch of this grineer, and be ready to make your way to the grineer dude in front of him.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z32zcvh6kporz6o/MR9_Phase3_part4.jpg?dl=0

5) Take care of this grineer before he can fully turn right and walk into the line of sight of another grineer adjacent to him (be warned that sometimes the grineer on the opposite side will see you, and sometimes he doesnt. If you work fast enough on taking this guy out, you'll be able to prevent needing to find out if luck was on your side) Don't worry about the Grineer guy on the elevated platform thing that overlooks the place. He seems to be pretty blind to anything that happens on your floor so long as you don't go up to his platform.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0d57km2d55xjoz9/MR9_Phase3_part5.jpg?dl=0

6)hide behind the hind left pillar so the grineer in the center walks down the isle again, making sure that the other grineer guy on the opposite pillar has his back turned

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3z86pb0h9indrd/MR9_Phase3_part6.jpg?dl=0

7)move up and kill the grineer walking down the center isle while the other grineer on the same floor as you has his back turned

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tgjiavvcb5qd0x/MR9_Phase3_part7.jpg?dl=0

8)hide behind the pillar on the front right to hide and wait for the right time to sneak up and kill the grineer on this isle

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tgjiavvcb5qd0x/MR9_Phase3_part7.jpg?dl=0

9)after that, all that's left is to take care of the relatively blind grineer guy on the elevated platform. wait for the right moment for him to turn his back so you can end him and this MR9 test.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zthxrm56ixuw3dj/MR9_Phase3_part9.jpg?dl=0

ok so thats it. I hope this helps.  I've been borderline frustrated for the most part and after finally finding a path that works for me, i felt compelled to share it in hopes of helping people who don't have all the shiny newer warframes or thought of investing on other stuff that wouldve made this significantly easier prior to entering this MR challenge.  Also my apologies for the dropbox links; i'm still quite the noob when it comes to forum stuff, so just open the links in extra tabs and view them there, or download em and shove em into a folder or something to go through like some sort of visual flashcard deck. Good luck Tenno, and make Spacemom proud!

Edited by Cadlum15teoutcast

15 hours ago, Isokaze_BestKaze said:

Guess I should upload a video of me cheesing this test with Wisp because people really don't seems to believe me when I say its the safest way of doing it. And in record time too.

Problem is what if they don't have Wisp at their disposal at the time they took the test. I'm not sure if you've read, but my method was targeting normies like me who either don't already have her  ,don't have the time/plat to get her etc. ) I literally was out of luck since i didn't have a Kestrel or Redeemer  and/or any of the warframes or weapons that most of you guys were suggesting. (she literally has to be grinded at the Ropalyst thingy, I was already at the MR9 and waay behind nodes, weapon efficiency and story progression to do that quest) I've been seeing a small hand-full of Tenno who were kinda in the same position quit the game altogether  simply because they couldn't figure out a path around this without already having wisp. I'm not waiting for that number to grow for more newcomers,so i decided to post my normie route just in case.

p.s. i have nothing against your whole method of using Wisp, or making a vid on Wisp cheesing through the MR9 test, but i'm very sure it won't help the Tenno  who don't already have her. 

Edited by Cadlum15teoutcast
further clarification
  • Like 1

TBH I do think that, by the time you are MR9, you should have unlocked most planet and at least finished Sacrifice. That's why I keep recommending using Wisp.

She should be accessible for most players by the time they are MR9 and farming Ropalolyst for each blueprint is like one hour long. Only Hexenon farm and the 90hours of crafting can be considered somewhat long. And even then you can take the test with the frame at level 0.

I recommend this method because it's super safe and WILL saves a lot of frustration. Putting that test aside and going to farm story quest and junction as well as a new warframe isn't even time wasted since you do something actually productive in the game instead of raging every day because the test is overly annoying.

It's not like you lose anything by doing this. Even weapons you farm while being stuck at MR9 isn't wasted mastery since it will count for your next MR rank.

15 hours ago, Isokaze_BestKaze said:

TBH I do think that, by the time you are MR9, you should have unlocked most planet and at least finished Sacrifice. That's why I keep recommending using Wisp.

She should be accessible for most players by the time they are MR9 and farming Ropalolyst for each blueprint is like one hour long. Only Hexenon farm and the 90hours of crafting can be considered somewhat long. And even then you can take the test with the frame at level 0.

I recommend this method because it's super safe and WILL saves a lot of frustration. Putting that test aside and going to farm story quest and junction as well as a new warframe isn't even time wasted since you do something actually productive in the game instead of raging every day because the test is overly annoying.

It's not like you lose anything by doing this. Even weapons you farm while being stuck at MR9 isn't wasted mastery since it will count for your next MR rank.

in the end thats the best part about forums. Let us all give options for solutions that apply to those who best fits the descriptions, all in hopes to solve the problem regardless of the situation. Yours if for those who do have Wisp, mine is for those who don't already have her by the time the MR9 test is up. No blood no foul.  I personally don't know the statistics as to how many would get Wisp before the MR9 test, but regardless if that number is larger or smaller than either of us anticipate, It's just nice to give people more options and have a solution for those unlucky. 

I may not have Wisp but i've already seen gameplay of her before and can attest that your method is more or less fool proof, but yeah lets just let there be a solution for those who don't.   

Looks like nobody's really come up with a solution. I'm stuck here. Fail after fail it's not been fun. I stopped trying for a while and tried again. Failed.

I really don't know why they even put this test in. If I need to stealth there are a lot of options. Loki, Ivara, Ash and so on and so on. Personally I think the MR tests are dumb. Yes, I get it. I know why they have implemented them and it may seem like a good idea. But, they cause frustration in a considerable amount of players. A test, yes maybe, but DON'T TAKE THE FUN OUT OF THE GAME!! Why are some so hard??? I know, I know, "I beat it, easily. Git Gud!" I hate that. That's not helpful. I'm not you. My play style is not yours. The test is too hard. The game's getting stale. Don't put ridiculously hard hurdles in the game. Most of the older players had it way easier, before you fixed it and nerfed the heck out of weapons and Warframes.

Since tests are your thing at least make them easier.

3 minutes ago, (XB1)CrayCraySkipper said:

Looks like nobody's really come up with a solution. I'm stuck here. Fail after fail it's not been fun. I stopped trying for a while and tried again. Failed.

I really don't know why they even put this test in. If I need to stealth there are a lot of options. Loki, Ivara, Ash and so on and so on. Personally I think the MR tests are dumb. Yes, I get it. I know why they have implemented them and it may seem like a good idea. But, they cause frustration in a considerable amount of players. A test, yes maybe, but DON'T TAKE THE FUN OUT OF THE GAME!! Why are some so hard??? I know, I know, "I beat it, easily. Git Gud!" I hate that. That's not helpful. I'm not you. My play style is not yours. The test is too hard. The game's getting stale. Don't put ridiculously hard hurdles in the game. Most of the older players had it way easier, before you fixed it and nerfed the heck out of weapons and Warframes.

Since tests are your thing at least make them easier.

You didn't read my post did you ? The solution is right there. Under your eyes. It will requires some farm on your part, but at least you'll pass it easy.

Here, I'll write it down bigger in two words :

Use. Wisp.

If you REALLY can't pass this test no matter what you try, this is the most foulproof method. Ever.

Edited by Isokaze_BestKaze

Just wanted to echo the warning about MR19. It's hot garbage. You can either make it your life for a month or use Banshee with Redeemer modded for lots of damage (you'll still need a good 5-10 practice runs before attempting it).

The whole MR Test system is fantastically inconsistent and overall the worst level-gating I've ever seen. 90% are "Roll your face on the keyboard, Tenno. This test is now complete." 9% are, "Meh, fine." 1% are flat out stupid - they're like nothing else in the game, develop no skills, teach no techniques, and serve as a way to drum up Google searches for ways to cheese them. I swear MR9 and MR19 are just for Google SEO.

I fully expect the MR29 test to ask me to bake a cake using nothing but Legos, juggle 7 bowling pins behind my back, or refactor DE's netcode. You know. All impossible tasks.

This may help some of y'all if farming up higher-end weapons/frames is rough - the test is still super inconsistent and buggy but I recorded this a couple times before I uploaded something and it worked pretty well each time. This is meant to be viable with a controller and any warframe/weapon you want so long as it has okay reach.

(sorry about the quality and lack of sound - I was on call with my partner at the time, and I just wanted to do something quick)

Spoiler

That was good Yankee. I agree that the MR test system is just fluff Neurohax. For me the tests don't really match how you play the game. If the tests actually helped you learn something then I could relate. I hated the MR9 test and I'm sure I'll hate MR19. Isokaze said to use Wisp on MR9. Well, more like trying to belittle me for not understanding "Use Wisp". Which I totally got from the beginning.

Wisp did work but it was still not a breeze. Unfortunately I'm not as skilled as most. I'm disabled. Sometimes my thumbs just do whatever they want to. I say stop, they say go. I say left they say right. That's why just hopping around with Wisp was hard. I failed one time because I jumped in front of the enemy. The last guy. Lol, not because I wanted to.

Headshots are hard for me to do. Lol. I've played with others but I'm slower, I hit the door frames, lol and I get lost. I know the tile sets but if I'm chasing after a squad, because I can't keep up, I start to stress. So I play solo.

I'm sure there will be a lot more tests that will prove to be difficult. I don't look forward to any of them.