Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gauss is a design trainwreck - absolute intrakit dependency, ridiculously arbitrary limitations, not a shred of team utility of any kind

Autongnosis

Let me preface this by saying i enjoy the idea of Gauss and i really really wish he were good. I like the high speed feeling of mach rush, the idea behind a variable charge DR, the concept of the heat/cold battery exhaust, and redline to top it all off. 

That said, the frame is currently completely broken in all the worst ways. Let's start from the beginning. 

Arbitrary loss of control and functionality for no particular reason

Primary culprits of this are redline and mach rush. Redline has for some bizarre reason a heavily restrictive casting sequence that lasts for a very long time. Why 😧

But that's a minor issue compared to mach rush. Mach rush is how to fail at mobility skills 101. Lemme list the issues:

• Lack of any vertical control when airborne
  • Completely unaffected by aimglide
  • Almost perfectly straight (needs upwards of 40m to turn slightly) 
  • No lateral control at all, not even a small juke to the right or left
  • Autolock function that you have no control over and tends to make things worse instead of better
  • If you don't tap cast it, it has a forced deadzone of about 1s you can't recast in, preventing sharp turns at speed no matter your skill level
  • No option to cast it laterally or backwards, which to me is the worst one by far
  • No option to strafe fire, if you're not facing forwards and open fire it instantly kick you out of rush (almost as bad as the one before)

Just. Why. At the very least allow lateral/backward cast and strafe fire so it becomes moderately more useful. 

Sinergy? You mean dependancy

The battery is a cool mechanic. Oh. Actually no, the battery is terrible. It doesn't do anything unless you redline it. And therein lies the problem. Unless you are in redline mode, the rest of his kit other than mach rush for meme run builds barely does anything. From the aoes from his 3rd for some reason losing their ability to proc past the initial cast, to the 2nd skill DR being entirely worthless outside of redline. 

That would be a problem in itself, and it's made somehow even worse by the fact that redline has this incredibly dumb mechanic that basically punishes you for building duration to avoid constant recasting. And forces you to keep spamming the incredibly bad mach rush to charge up for whatever reason. 

Just. 

Why. 

There is no team in I

This is like Ash if Ash had no real worthwile use in a team and no role. Gauss has no place in any team whatsoever, cause he does literally nothing for anyone that isn't himself. What the hell. 

His marginal utility can be summarised as a one time cast aoe fire/cold/blast proc or a slightly better corrosive proc with pitiful range and incredible energy cost. 

His main utility skill, his 3rd, loses the ability to do anything meaningful past first cast which is terrifying. If that is to be the case, the first cast should have a meaningful range at the very least, not 12m and shrinking. On top of the fact that this ability does precisely nothing if there happens to be an ancient healer somewhere nearby. 

Designing to suck

On top of all that, Gauss also has number problems everywhere. It's as if it was designed to purposefully suck. From the DR value out of redline, to the range on his 3rd, to the amount of armour strip on his boosted 3rd, to the amounts of constraints on his battery overcharge on his 4th.

Signature weapon? Suicide devices you mean

This might be the first case in warframe history where the signature weapons of a frame are positively harmful to said frame. 

The combination of gauss only running forward, the passive forcing you to sprint reload unless you wanna spend an year reloading and projectiles having the speed of a crippled snail is a very good way of making both guns behave as a suicide machine in the hands of Gauss... 

Might expand later. 

Edited by Autongnosis
  • Like 13

il y a 6 minutes, --DSP--Jetstream a dit :

lol remind me of zephyr feedback threads, good thing it only take them erm dunno three years to make the tailwind stop when you hit a wall?
so probably come back in some couple years they surely gonna look into it!

Please don't remind me of that... 

18 minutes ago, Autongnosis said:

But that's a minor issue compared to mach rush. Mach rush is how to fail at mobility skills 101. Lemme list the issues:

• Autolock function that you have no control over and tends to make things worse instead of better
  • If you don't tap cast it, it has a forced deadzone of about 1s you can't recast in, preventing sharp turns at speed no matter your skill level
  • No option to cast it laterally or backwards, which to me is the worst one by far
  • No option to strafe fire, if you're not facing forwards and open fire it instantly kick you out of rush (almost as bad as the one before)

I find it interesting that no other ability has been so thoroughly specific like Mach Rush... THIS is the OP's issue, and only issue with Gauss...

Its not about team play, because there is no team play in speedrunning. Signature weapons aren't supposed to be used "In Da F- - FaCe", you have melee for that. The "Synergy" exists for Gauss only.

I'll say this again, because I said the same thing on another thread, made by a different OP. Mach Rush is NOT supposed to allow you to turn. You lose the ability to maneuver to gain such speed, and that's the bottom line of Mach Rush.

Again, I have not collected Gauss yet. But due to the reaction of a minority of players, this is going to be a Warframe that I'm going to keep because it will end up being more effective in my hands than the majority of players.

This is just another repost, with a different OP, of a topic I already replied to. If you don't know understand the point of Gauss, do not use it.

I'm out, kthxbye.

• Like 3

I completely agree with the " Signature weapon? Suicide devices you mean ". The 7m priming range is great and all but unmodded Gauss runs 12m with Mach Rush. So you can shoot, Mach Rush and die.

I disagree with " There is no team in I ". You can use his 3rd ability to freeze enemies or strip 50% armor. You can ragdoll enemies with his 1st ability - another CC.

2nd ability is not worthless without Redline. It provides 80% damage reduction and allows you to proc crits with Mach Rush.

Mach Rush is not supposed to be used while in air (that's what Zephyr is for). Sharp turns are somewhat possible by jumping. I would love to be able to Mach Rush backwards even if its reduced in range - like a panic button.

Redline somewhat sucks. You spend half of it trying to build it up to 100% no matter the duration. 300% duration with 90 seconds of Redline? You need to spend 45-50 seconds at best to get the full bonus. Without it you will fall below the red line in 3-5 seconds. You can't even hack or capture the target because you will fall below the red line.

il y a 58 minutes, Uhkretor a dit :

Again, I have not collected Gauss yet.

Standard mlg pro feedback without even touching the frame. Next pls. 

il y a 52 minutes, Kialandi a dit :

I completely agree with the " Signature weapon? Suicide devices you mean ". The 7m priming range is great and all but unmodded Gauss runs 12m with Mach Rush. So you can shoot, Mach Rush and die.

1) I disagree with " There is no team in I ". You can use his 3rd ability to freeze enemies or strip 50% armor. You can ragdoll enemies with his 1st ability - another CC.

2) 2nd ability is not worthless without Redline. It provides 80% damage reduction and allows you to proc crits with Mach Rush.

3) Mach Rush is not supposed to be used while in air (that's what Zephyr is for). Sharp turns are somewhat possible by jumping. I would love to be able to Mach Rush backwards even if its reduced in range - like a panic button.

4) Redline somewhat sucks. You spend half of it trying to build it up to 100% no matter the duration. 300% duration with 90 seconds of Redline? You need to spend 45-50 seconds at best to get the full bonus. Without it you will fall below the red line in 3-5 seconds. You can't even hack or capture the target because you will fall below the red line.

1) yeah, you can spend a S#&$ton of energy to deal a single corrosive proc in a small AoE or a small freeze AoE if you line up the casts... The utolity is lower than a random guy with a corrosive cold Ignis xD And tbh I'd be hard pressed to find the utility of a very localised ragdoll. 

2) actually it provides 20%. The bonus scales upwards only in redline, out if it it's at the minimum... I may even believe it to be a bug, but that's how it works right now. 

3) i agree in the air part, it was mostly about vertical control. That is, you can't even moderately aim it downwards or aimglide, unlike any other movement skill in the game. 

4) redline takes 2/3rds of its duration to charge. 90s redline? You get full charge at the earliest after 60s. What the actual #*!%. 

il y a 23 minutes, Tiltskillet a dit :

Sorry, you are in violation of the rule that only Vauban is allowed to be described as a "trainwreck".  Please resubmit your thread using an acceptable term such as "disaster", "debacle", or "colossal c**k-up".

Hey vauban is still useful if you stomach 2 hours of non mission to get to the juicy parts 😄

15 minutes ago, Autongnosis said:

2) actually it provides 20%. The bonus scales upwards only in redline, out if it it's at the minimum... I may even believe it to be a bug, but that's how it works right now. 

Fairly sure that's not how it works, but it's definitely not how it's supposed to work. Wiki states it scales with battery charge, base value 100% at full battery at max rank.

Mach Rush really hasn't been giving me trouble, and Redline having a wind-up is really no big deal to me. What I'm bothered about is that his 3 does almost no damage, his 1 does no damage at all, his 2 doesn't generate enough energy, and his Redline doesn't have enough duration. 

The biggest gripe is probably that Mach Rush has a start cost. That should absolutely be removed to allow for quick successions of shorter dashes to not immediately drain all your energy. 

• Like 4

il y a 6 minutes, Colyeses a dit :

Fairly sure that's not how it works, but it's definitely not how it's supposed to work. Wiki states it scales with battery charge, base value 100% at full battery at max rank.

Mach Rush really hasn't been giving me trouble, and Redline having a wind-up is really no big deal to me. What I'm bothered about is that his 3 does almost no damage, his 1 does no damage at all, his 2 doesn't generate enough energy, and his Redline doesn't have enough duration. 

The biggest gripe is probably that Mach Rush has a start cost. That should absolutely be removed to allow for quick successions of shorter dashes to not immediately drain all your energy. 

I ran it in simulacrum and it didn't change until redlining, at which point it scaled upwards. The test was run 3 days ago, because i haven't had time to run it properly yet cause work. And testing DRs on lv <90 is inconsequential due to how i play and move. 

Tbh redline having wind up is fine, but there are two main issues:

• wind up tied to duration is ludicrous, specifically with a hard cap
  • wind up tied to duration while wind down isn't is even worse 

There's a severe imbalance between the two sides tbh. 

In general there's a slew of mechanical failures and numerical bullS#&amp;&#036; going on that hampers any kind of real potential the frame might have. 

Edited by Autongnosis
  • Like 1

I'm sorry if i derailed your post, i don't mean it

But i think this is the single best title in a post, and i should start using these words more often

Other than that

Yeah gauss is completely Mediocre 

He lacks...pretty much everything we need in warframe nowadays

He's like a new sports car.. sure it looks nice to bring along on simple rides, but when the weather get too intense...it's better to just use something more practical 

Edited by (PS4)Hopper_Orouk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, --DSP--Jetstream said:

lol remind me of zephyr feedback threads, good thing it only take them erm dunno three years to make the tailwind stop when you hit a wall?
so probably come back in some couple years they surely gonna look into it!

And people ask me why i don't like everything that DE does

I see crap like this happening, and they ask me why i'm impatient???

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Autongnosis said:

1) yeah, you can spend a S#&amp;&#036;ton of energy to deal a single corrosive proc in a small AoE or a small freeze AoE if you line up the casts... The utolity is lower than a random guy with a corrosive cold Ignis xD And tbh I'd be hard pressed to find the utility of a very localised ragdoll. 

3) i agree in the air part, it was mostly about vertical control. That is, you can't even moderately aim it downwards or aimglide, unlike any other movement skill in the game. 

4) redline takes 2/3rds of its duration to charge. 90s redline? You get full charge at the earliest after 60s. What the actual #*!%. 

Hey vauban is still useful if you stomach 2 hours of non mission to get to the juicy parts 😄

1) Sure the CC isn't map-wide but it does its job, 12 meters isn't so bad. I don't think we need another Equinox, Saryn, Mesa etc.

2) Pretty sure its much more. You can take 2 Corrupted Bombard's rockets to the face and still live. (lvl 160)

4) It depends on the situation, if you have enough energy or there aren't many enemies its roughly half of the duration. However if you are being shot at from every possible direction, then you might not even reach the 100%...

il y a 5 minutes, (PS4)CommanderC2121 a dit :

Real talk, vauban is still my go too for “do lvl 30 defense without pod taking damage” missions because how reliable he is vs infested. 

I wish i had recorded the last run of sortie 3 mdef rad hazard i did with vauban, team went from "lolwat vauban exist" to "holy S#&amp;&#036; vauban does THAT?!" in a heartbeat :P Whole team at 0% dmg taken and not a shot coming towards the terminal. 

il y a 2 minutes, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk a dit :

I'm sorry if i derailed your post, i don't mean it

But i think this is the single best title in a post, and i should start using these words more often

Other than that

He lacks...pretty much everything we need in warframe now days

He's like a new sports car.. sure it looks nice to bring along on simple rides, but when the weather get too intense...it's better to just use something more practical 

I pride myself on being unnecessarily verbose 😄

On a side note it's really a pile of bad design decisions and limitations that basically cripples the frame's potential. 

Going by the sports car analogy, it's like a sports car which had its tires swapped for those of a bicycle and a speed limiter set at 80mph.

Honestly, OP has some very compelling points. I've played gauss, and I enjoy him, but i do find myself agreeing with a lot of the points he's put forth. Maybe a little more harsh than i would put it, but still, Mach Rush is very hard to use properly. The Deadzone is incredibly annoying. I think i would prefer to just hold 1 to go fast, let go of 1 to return to normal speed.

The best thing about Gauss, for me, is his insane base movespeed. It means I'm moving at power boosted volt speed levels with the right mod loadout. His other abilities are far too dependant on redline to be effective, which i think OP sort of outlined in his post.

Oh yeah, and his signature weapons shouldn't be liabilities because i move too fast. I do kill myself with the self damage on the acceltra far too often for my liking. Seems counter intuitive.

Edited by Skaleek
  • Like 2

so he is useless like 99% of frames, but actually has some interactions between powers, so you don't build him around 1 and ignore the rest? cool. I mean... I don't see why Gauss is the straw that broke the camels back, but, you know, good for you, doing a thread and all! yay!

il y a 1 minute, Rawbeard a dit :

so he is useless like 99% of frames, but actually has some interactions between powers, so you don't build him around 1 and ignore the rest? cool. I mean... I don't see why Gauss is the straw that broke the camels back, but, you know, good for you, doing a thread and all! yay!

Hm, kind sir, what are you smoking? I want some for my wilder nights. 

As a side note, interactions =/= dependencies 

Yikes.

I completely disagree. I think that Gauss is one of the best designed warframes in a long time. They did a fantastic job. He both feels great to play, and actually is great.

Redline has for some bizarre reason a heavily restrictive casting sequence that lasts for a very long time. Why 😧

Eh. This seems like a very minor thing to complain about to me. It only takes a second or so, you should only be recasting it once per minute or so, and you can Mach Rush and reload during the animation.

Mach rush is how to fail at mobility skills 101.

It's great for me. You just need to get used to controlling it. Not being able to make sharp turns during it isn't really a problem, as you can just cancel it for a moment, turn, and then speed off in the new direction.

Actually no, the battery is terrible. It doesn't do anything unless you redline it.

What? The battery makes a difference at all charge levels. Lower battery makes his abilities less effective. Higher battery makes his abilities more effective.

Unless you are in redline mode, the rest of his kit other than mach rush for meme run builds barely does anything. From the aoes from his 3rd for some reason losing their ability to proc past the initial cast, to the 2nd skill DR being entirely worthless outside of redline.

I wouldn't say they're "worthless". Cold procs are still good crowd control and good with Condition Overload, and the 84% damage resistance that you get without Redline is still significant. But that said, why wouldn't you just be Redlining all the time anyway? I never see those weaker abilities since I'm always Redlining.

redline has this incredibly dumb mechanic that basically punishes you for building duration to avoid constant recasting

What do you mean by this? There is no downside to building duration. Building duration is exactly what you should be doing. It gives you more uptime on your buffs, and also strengthens the buffs that Redline gives you.

And forces you to keep spamming the incredibly bad mach rush to charge up for whatever reason.

I don't have this problem. Remember that with Gauss you're supposed to keep moving. As long as you're moving around, you will be building battery charge. Gauss is intended for players that engage in an active playstyle, bullet jumping around, aim gliding, running and gunning, melee slamming, etc. Mach Rush is also great for getting around between each group of enemies that you mow down.

Gauss has no place in any team whatsoever, cause he does literally nothing for anyone that isn't himself. What the hell. 

Crowd control benefits the team. Completing objectives or reviving teammates at high speed also benefits the team.

the first cast should have a meaningful range at the very least, not 12m

How are people saying that Thermal Sunder has bad range? It's almost as big as Limbo's Cataclysm!

On top of all that, Gauss also has number problems everywhere. It's as if it was designed to purposefully suck. From the DR value out of redline, to the range on his 3rd, to the amount of armour strip on his boosted 3rd, to the amounts of constraints on his battery overcharge on his 4th.

84% damage reduction when not using Redline and 100% damage reduction when using Redline, is bad to you? I don't see how. Those numbers are very high.

12m range is almost as big as Limbo's Cataclysm. It covers a large area already, especially if you add range mods.

What do you even mean by "the amounts of constraints on his battery overcharge on his 4th"?

This might be the first case in warframe history where the signature weapons of a frame are positively harmful to said frame. 

The combination of gauss only running forward, the passive forcing you to sprint reload unless you wanna spend an year reloading and projectiles having the speed of a crippled snail is a very good way of making both guns behave as a suicide machine in the hands of Gauss... 

This is the only thing I can agree with you on.

Edited by SteveCutler
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Autongnosis said:

Arbitrary loss of control and functionality for no particular reason

Primary culprits of this are redline and mach rush. Redline has for some bizarre reason a heavily restrictive casting sequence that lasts for a very long time. Why 😧

Just. Why. At the very least allow lateral/backward cast and strafe fire so it becomes moderately more useful. 

While I personally would have enjoyed having quick bursts of speed in an omni directional fashion that's not the goal of Mach rush.  It's literally turbo speed at the loss of control.  That's the design intent and the fantasy of it.  We already have a multitude of ways for interesting movement via parkour 2.0  I feel like making Mach rush the ultimate fantasy dodge move would trample over that rather than compliment it.  But my opinion aside matter still stands.  Mach rush is fine.  It just doesn't fit YOUR head cannon for what you want out of it.

Sinergy? You mean dependancy

The battery is a cool mechanic. Oh. Actually no, the battery is terrible. It doesn't do anything unless you redline it. And therein lies the problem. Unless you are in redline mode, the rest of his kit other than mach rush for meme run builds barely does anything. From the aoes from his 3rd for some reason losing their ability to proc past the initial cast, to the 2nd skill DR being entirely worthless outside of redline. 

That would be a problem in itself, and it's made somehow even worse by the fact that redline has this incredibly dumb mechanic that basically punishes you for building duration to avoid constant recasting. And forces you to keep spamming the incredibly bad mach rush to charge up for whatever reason. 

Just. 

Why. 

Considering his battery determines the effectiveness of kinetic plating i'd say that's a no.  Saying his kit is useless outside of redline is also a joke.  Kinetic plating gives 80% DR without redline if you're at maximum battery capacity.  and hard cc via the cold proc is VERY useful.  Unless you're trying to say cc as a whole is useless.  Mach rush and his 3 are cc and speed.  Both of which are his primary survival tools.  So again, not useless.  Redline doesn't punish you.  Redline immediately gives you buffed versions of your abilities with an insane bump to your DPS without even needing to build your meter and halves the cost of your mach rush which you're using constantly not to mention a melee damage increase via having kinetic plating on.  The only purpose of building your meter during redline is to ensure that once your battery is at 100% over the redline you obtain god mode DR wise vs specific damage types and the ability to not expend battery usage for the remainder of the ability.  The longer time to charge your battery purposfully exists so you can't sit in this god mode state for extended periods of time.  I hardly call that punishment when you get plenty of worthwhile buffs/effects for literally turning the ability on.

There is no team in I

This is like Ash if Ash had no real worthwile use in a team and no role. Gauss has no place in any team whatsoever, cause he does literally nothing for anyone that isn't himself. What the hell. 

His marginal utility can be summarised as a one time cast aoe fire/cold/blast proc or a slightly better corrosive proc with pitiful range and incredible energy cost. 

His main utility skill, his 3rd, loses the ability to do anything meaningful past first cast which is terrifying. If that is to be the case, the first cast should have a meaningful range at the very least, not 12m and shrinking. On top of the fact that this ability does precisely nothing if there happens to be an ancient healer somewhere nearby. 

CC isn't a team benefit?  Okay.

Designing to suck

Pointless fluff that's literally just bashing.

Self damage in itself is a dumb mechanic that's long over due for being changed or outright removed.  This is a fair point to make in general but this doesn't have anything to do with the design of the frame itself (which is literally what the thread is about) and is more being used to fluff up your argument because you either didn't believe the points you previously made were strong enough on their own, or you wanted to make your wall of text bigger to make it look like you're perspective is better than it actually is.

11 hours ago, Autongnosis said:

There is no team in I

I have NO problems with this at all.  For those who don't already know, I'm mostly a solo player.  Mwuhahahahahaha

• Like 2

Sounds like some pretty valid critique in my opinion, only thing I can figure is that he was designed to be deliberately counter productive so as to make him not a must have; but perhaps he was just designed to be used in a very narrow and specific purpose that doesn't have much basis in normal play.

We already have plenty of team-oriented Warframes, there really has to be a little bit of wiggle room for creative kits not absolutely designed towards team play. If your whole argument is based around making a conceptualized speed Warframe into what he's not, then I don't think we've much to discuss. Gimmicks are nice to have every now & then, and there won't really be a replacement for Volt, Chroma, or any of the healers. There doesn't need to be.

But yeah, whoever thought self-damage was a good concept, kindly eject yourself out of the nearest window. (Just kidding, but seriously, such a horrendous "mechanic")

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Autongnosis said:

actually it provides 20%. The bonus scales upwards only in redline, out if it it's at the minimum... I may even believe it to be a bug, but that's how it works right now. 

Thats a lie its scales with battery so 80% without redline and 100% with redline.

) i agree in the air part, it was mostly about vertical control. That is, you can't even moderately aim it downwards or aimglide, unlike any other movement skill in the game. 

You have increased gravity when using it. This is a personal issue anyways

redline takes 2/3rds of its duration to charge. 90s redline? You get full charge at the earliest after 60s. What the actual #*!%. 

HONEY. This one is conjecture. Ive played gauss since release. The battery doesn't drop when casting redline. So you start with 80%. I think you forgect that you can cast all your abilities while mach rushing and you gain 10% from mach rush and cold thermal sunder. So i dunno build efficiency like you should and dash 10 times with mach rush. You know his tag line is "nerf stop moving" right? If you stop moving you lose charge. This shows a lack of understanding gauss.

12 hours ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

He lacks...pretty much everything we need in warframe nowadays

You know whats medicore. Titania. All she has going for her is a cc and damage. Gauss as tons of cc, armor striping, speed, and a dps boost. He can also tank realtively easy as well if you KEEP MOVING. I dislike the minority of warframe player who trash warframes when they first come out because they dont want to adjust how they play to suit the warframe!

• Like 1