Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gender skins

(PSN)joey_a21

this was originally the plan i believe, you can find old Warframe media depicting a male and female Excalibur
i think it was axed because it doubles the modeling requirements for all frames

a lot of people have posted in favor of doing it, but unfortunately  i think DE has pretty much solidified that its not gunna happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh_1FveRn_8
heres a video with male and female Excal

• Like 3

Last main DE response from ages ago I remember is basically, they are open to making alternate genders of the same theme they have already made, but its going to be a different frame with different skills.

Its also obvious to a workload to pay out equation. A new frame is going to generate a lot more revenue than a alternate skin mesh that took just as long to make than a new frame but priced as a skin.

Maybe some day they may allow Tennogen to make custom body meshs like the Helmets. And you might get alt genders that way. But its not on the horizon.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Firetempest said:

Last main DE response from ages ago I remember is basically, they are open to making alternate genders of the same theme they have already made, but its going to be a different frame with different skills.

Its also obvious to a workload to pay out equation. A new frame is going to generate a lot more revenue than a alternate skin mesh that took just as long to make than a new frame but priced as a skin.

I think it's worth mentioning that that statement was made before deluxe skins were a thing, before the experiment that was Proto-Excalibur showed that people were willing to pay twice the Platinum value of Excalibur for a skin for him. 

DE prove themselves wrong already and have moved away from the idea that every model must have it's own power set by adding deluxe skins.  I don't see why we couldn't have the occasional deluxe skin that switches sex, if the artist involved in designing it had a good looking concept for it.  Obviously they couldn't roll out one for every frame straight away but gradually adding a few here and there could work.  They could probably open up Nyx and Excalibur using each others bodies as a test of how it'd be received if they wanted to, pretend it's accidental and reverse it in a bug fix if people don't like it.

11 minutes ago, (PS4)i7081277 said:

I think that de is better off investing those resources into making new warframes. Just think of similar warframes as each other’s gender counterparts.

hildryn = rhino

saryn = nidus

mag = gauss

Right?

One could also make an Argument for Wisp and Limbo as 'Dimension' frames.

2 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

One could also make an Argument for Wisp and Limbo as 'Dimension' frames.

I suppose that is true, but I’m basing my claims more off of their appearance than anything else. I absolutely love limbo and wisp though! 

Edited by (PS4)i7081277

16 minutes ago, Katinka said:

I think it's worth mentioning that that statement was made before deluxe skins were a thing, before the experiment that was Proto-Excalibur showed that people were willing to pay twice the Platinum value of Excalibur for a skin for him. 

DE prove themselves wrong already and have moved away from the idea that every model must have it's own power set by adding deluxe skins.  I don't see why we couldn't have the occasional deluxe skin that switches sex, if the artist involved in designing it had a good looking concept for it.  Obviously they couldn't roll out one for every frame straight away but gradually adding a few here and there could work.  They could probably open up Nyx and Excalibur using each others bodies as a test of how it'd be received if they wanted to, pretend it's accidental and reverse it in a bug fix if people don't like it.

More or less this^

Just like the proto and deluxe series they could easily do an genderswap series, all under the same effort and gains, which they've shown they are happy to accept with the prior listings going on as long as they have as a new practice. There's nothing much standing in the way now of us exploring gender variant skins anymore, we don't lack the man power or funding of the launch days, and creating new frame models without power-sets is as noted the entire shtick of deluxes and has proved a viable practice, so they could full well do a remodel but as a genderswap and slap a label on it and it'd go dandy. Heck a few months ago Rebecca was happy retweeting some genderswaps she thought looked neat and I believe said just as much herself, that the deluxe route is how they'd go with it if they ever made it a thing. All we need is to give em a push, let em know its worth a try this far along, and let it roll from there. (they clearly had interest their own way back but had to cut it because of their own misfortunes with funds searching)

Personally I'd love to see cosmetic choice broaden in that direction among the other cosmetic evolutions Warframe has had. Options are the golden jewel of customization after all, and isn't that what fashionframe is all about? 

5 minutes ago, Miser_able said:

No. It's been brought up before. And shot down every time. It's not going to happen. 

All Warframes are their own characters, their gender is part their identity. 

Once, they were shot down once vaguely on a devstream under the premise that they weren't sure a new model would sell like a new frame would and that they'd rather be safe, but then deluxes became a thing and proved that it could. Since then it hasn't really been brought up to DE. There's no reason to assume they have any issue with notion now, creatively, or financially, since gender variants were the original plan for the game to begin with, and deluxes are more or less a consistent practice in the game now. 

I'd also argue the sentiment all frames having a "character" (not really confirmed) halting customization options went out the window once idles became interchangeable across all frames, that operates under the same vein and didn't halt DE from allowing it to be an option. 

1 hour ago, CandyManCriminal said:

this was originally the plan i believe, you can find old Warframe media depicting a male and female Excalibur
i think it was axed because it doubles the modeling requirements for all frames

a lot of people have posted in favor of doing it, but unfortunately  i think DE has pretty much solidified that its not gunna happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh_1FveRn_8
heres a video with male and female Excal

Female Excalibur is Normal Nyx, if you compare to the female on that video, you will see what i'm talking about

55 minutes ago, (PS4)i7081277 said:

I think that de is better off investing those resources into making new warframes. Just think of similar warframes as each other’s gender counterparts.

hildryn = rhino

saryn = nidus

mag = gauss

Right?

Typically people who want gender variants want variants because they like the visual aesthetic and even playstyle of the frame in question but want it in a masculine or feminine style, creating vaguely similar thematic pieces doesn't solve that interest. A person who wants a genderswap of Ember likely isn't going to be satisfied with say Nezha as a solution, they are visually and mechanically entirely different things, so if your likes her overall aesthetic or playstyle but wanted a masculine twist Nezha is more or less a failure under that premise. Likewise with pretty much all your examples, unless your only interest is the most fringe sense of themeing none of those swaps works because they aren't really ressemblant of the other frame in any genuine way. Mag doesn't look or behave like Gauss, nor Saryn to Nidus, Hildryn to Rhino really. (the later two are both bulky builds but there is a great deal of nuance even there)

Resource investment wise, as others have noted with the advent of deluxes and proto skins, new models alone for frames has already more than proven itself a worthwhile and lucrative investment to pursue.

Edited by Cubewano
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Firetempest said:

Maybe some day they may allow Tennogen to make custom body meshs like the Helmets. And you might get alt genders that way. But its not on the horizon.

Creating a skin is definitely not going to take as much time or resources as an entirely new frame and kit would, and if it was far less rewarding then deluxes wouldn't have become as prominent as they have in Warframes development cycle. The notion that custom models alone aren't worth investing in died several years back. 

4 hours ago, (PS4)i7081277 said:

hildryn = rhino

saryn = nidus

mag = gauss

Right?

Saryn is plant toxins, Nidus is infested.

The only relation between Gauss and Mag are their Alt helm names.

Rhino and Hildryn are both thicc.

your point is 2/3 wrong.

Edited by (XB1)GearsMatrix301
  • Like 2

Then, there's the problem with the names of several Warframes. Sure, female Frost and male Ember would make sense. But female Oberon? Male Titania? Female Atlas? Male Banshee? Male Valkyr? Female Loki? Many frames are direct references to characters or figures from the real world, and these have a specific genders. Or you have names like Nidus (-us alludes to male names in Latin) or Nekros (-os alludes to male names in Greek) etc. that also pose problems. Sure, you can have alternate names for each frame along with the alternate "gendered" skin, but this would pose yet another problem. Or you could stick to the current names but that would be silly imo.

• Like 3